Gouging? You want gouging? Have a look...

Christmas season makes people lose all reasoning skills and common sense. Sadly, they will sell them easily at that price.

haha got my xfx 5870 for $379 and now the 5850 is $399? lol

I bought an XFX 5870 at ZZF in mid Oct. for $399...I added a 2nd one later in the afternoon for the same price and by 8pm they had them relisted for $439.99

they love these hot new items

Who would have ever thought they'd see their video cards appreciate in value?

A guy just posted a used and registered XFX 5870 in FS/FT for $500. :eek:

I will be watching that like a hawk.

eh.......he dropped it to $475 already.

A guy just posted a used and registered XFX 5870 in FS/FT for $500. :eek:

I will be watching that like a hawk.

eh.......he dropped it to $475 already.

i saw that, and i just checked eBay to see what the prices were there. $450~ lol thats insane.

You know, for $450-475, I might be persuaded to let go of mine and just wait for a 5970.

OCZ is screwing me around on an SSD anyway so the system will be down for a couple of weeks and I just upgraded the wife to my old Q9450 with a 5770 so it's not like I can't game.

Hmmmmmmm

Like I said, I am watching this like a hawk.

You know, for $450-475, I might be persuaded to let go of mine and just wait for a 5970.

OCZ is screwing me around on an SSD anyway so the system will be down for a couple of weeks and I just upgraded the wife to my old Q9450 with a 5770 so it's not like I can't game.

Hmmmmmmm

Like I said, I am watching this like a hawk.

put 5870 into wife's computer and wait for a 5970???

Her monitor is 1680x1050 so the 5770 works like a charm. The 5870 would be overkill. The Q9450 is at 3.2 and the 5770 is like haveing a 4890 just with DX11 so it is actually a sweet little machine.

I feel really lucky right now. I got my 5870 for $379 on the day after release. Looked a couple weeks later and found a 5770 for $159 just like they were supposed to be and now......people going CRAZY :eek:

No, if they are bringing $450-475 used, it is time to sell baby sell!!

The longer you wait, the better the supply and lower the price.
Plus numbers of those that will throw money away on a "I need it now no matter the cost!" will dry up. :D

That's actually kind of interesting. I think I purchased 2 video cards from them before, and both times both a) supplies were tight and b) they weren't gouging. It seemed to be that most people just didn't check their website and so they offered the cards close to MSRP and it was great. So much for that.

Kinda funny that potentially we have to wait for Nvidia to release a card to bring the price of ATI's cards down. Even if supply is to increase, these are high end cards meant for the high end market, so they're not as sensitive to supply and demand as they are to competition. The 57XX series can fill in the low end, why should ATI vendors lower price? Especially with the 295 still around $500. Unlike manufacturer's higher pricing like Nvidia, this is vendors profiting from a lack of competition.

At these prices, I may sell my 5870 while I can still make a profit from it!

i've thought about it but the hassle of selling/shipping the card and being without a 5870 doesnt make making a profit of $100 worth it.

I agree, I don't have any intentions of selling it. Maybe if I had that day trader mentality I'd do it.

The demand for these things is out of hand. Normally, the local stores here are fairly expensive relative to online. You go there for convenience and/or to support local business, price is never in their favor. However the place I got my 5870 at was selling them for right around what you see them online for, not because they were selling cheap but because they are so expensive online.

When I bought my HD5850 I paid almost $310. When I saw a deal for 2 HD5770s for around the same price I decided to go Xfire HD5770.

At the time the HD5850 was very new. I posted a for sale add for $330. I thought that was a fair price considering how hot these items were.

:D Somebody pm'd me to complain about price gouging. I removed the add and took the deal somewhere else. I didn't think I was gouging. I had an item that was hot and hard to find.

Now both HD5800 series and HD5700 prices have increased.

When I bought my HD5850 I paid almost $310. When I saw a deal for 2 HD5770s for around the same price I decided to go Xfire HD5770.

At the time the HD5850 was very new. I posted a for sale add for $330. I thought that was a fair price considering how hot these items were.

:D Somebody pm'd me to complain about price gouging. I removed the add and took the deal somewhere else. I didn't think I was gouging. I had an item that was hot and hard to find.

Now both HD5800 series and HD5700 prices have increased.

Cool story, but wasn't it you that thought the 5850 should be priced at $199?

Well I think they realized the ceiling on their pricing. The Sap 5850 has been in stock since yesterday for the "reasonable":( price of $399 LOL

The 5800s in general have been too expensive, this is taking it to a whole new level. ATI need some competition so the 5800s can drop in price a bit.

Newegg shows 5850 at $309.99 USD so it is just that store that is price gouging or it could be because newegg has no 5850 in stock and will raise the price when they do have stock.

You know what's sad? I could buy two more GTX260's for $169 each and add them to my existing GTX260 for tri-SLI. That's only $338 total for the upgrade, still cheaper than an HD5850...

Aside from DirectX 11, I'm betting three GTX260's would probably wipe the floor with the HD5850 (and even the 5870 in most cases).

That said, I would totally snatch up a HD5870 if one suddenly appeared back down at $350 again. :D

I don't think they were ever at $350. I got mine the hour it was released and they were all $379, atleast from newegg.

Price gouging is raising the cost of goods necessary for survival in a declared national emergency. It is a term created to suggest that businesses have a moral obligation to ration supplies of things like fuel, food, and water rather than either allowing one person to purchase them all at normal price or taking the opportunity to acquire a majority of all the customers' wealth. This is a controversial suggestion when spoken outright, but it is implied in the use of the word.

With luxury goods, or competitive goods, there can be no such moral obligation.

Charging as great a price as the market will bear for a luxury good with a nearly fixed supply is called "The rule of demand." Just as it's not uncommon to see, say, meteorite shards go for many thousands of dollars, an HD5850 should be accessible in the stock of at least one online store at all times - for whatever price that status requires.

So no, there is nothing wrong with charging as much as you can on a forum. The only hazard is that you might be judged by the admins a commercial reseller who purchased the goods to sell at a profit (and therefore should be paying the admins advertising fees) rather than a user who wants to get something off his hands.

Last edited:
Best part is my old-ass 8800GS still works fine for new games.

Back