Gotta love open box deals

ordovician

2[H]4U
2x5770.JPG

So after weeks of prowling, I finally got the chance to pick up two matched 5770s off newegg! Not my first choice for brand, but whatever. I have a xfire mobo, so at $238, nothing can match them. Clearly a better deal than a single 5850. Let's hope they work!

Is their a clear advantage?

I haven't looked at benchmarks in awhile but I got a 5770 with plans to do that but ended up getting a 5850 instead of a second one because the performance seems about the same and I WC and one block is cheaper than two. Maybe the 5850 just shows more speed at higher resolution and you run a lower one?

With microstutter why wouldn't you just buy a 5850? Its gonna give a better gameplay experience.

I dont get why people would rather buy 2 lower GPUs...

Is their a clear advantage?

I haven't looked at benchmarks in awhile but I got a 5770 with plans to do that but ended up getting a 5850 instead of a second one because the performance seems about the same and I WC and one block is cheaper than two. Maybe the 5850 just shows more speed at higher resolution and you run a lower one?

Judging by his sig, his hann's more than likely runs at 1920x1080/1200. I wonder what the difference in performance is as well. I want to upgrade my AMD box with a new gpu once the 6core amd's are released.

2 5770s are like a 5870, and since they scale so great as I have heard it wont be bad at all. And where can you find a 5850 at that price?

2 5770s are like a 5870, and since they scale so great as I have heard it wont be bad at all. And where can you find a 5850 at that price?

Exactly. Not only are the benchmarks consistently higher, min fps are higher, and reviewers say that games feel faster on crossfire 5770s compared to a single 5850. Crossfire 5770s apparently come close to a single 5870, actually. I'm guessing they fall somewhere between the 5850 and 5870 in real life, though. Add to that the 5770s only cost me $238 shipped, and it's a no-brainer. Why on earth would I not go crossfire? If I experience game-stopping microstudder, I'll be happy with 1x 5770 and selling the other.

My Hanns-G is 1920x1200.

Being open box, is there a chance of not getting the Crossfire bridges?

I want to add that "microstudder" is often produced by running two low-mid range GPUs at settings that max out their ram capacities. They may have the power to run 1920x1200 4x AA, etc.. but they run out of ram. Case in point: Though two 9800GTs will "beat" a GTX 260, their 512mb framebuffer will make 90fps seem like 45 fps. Hence, the GTX 260 will feel faster, even with a lower fps.

However, the 5770 has a full 1gb frame buffer. Also, iirc, ATI's crossfire bridges have more bandwidth and cope better with elimination of microstudder than nvidia's implementation (not sure if that's up to date).

oos now.

im very particular about how stuff looks in my rig. im quite vain. even took the purple corsair stickers off my ram cooler cuz they didnt match the red and black theme. :) which is why i wouldnt buy that ugly card ever. but man thats one hell of a deal. i have an asus 5770 V2 cooler and i have an xfx 5770 V2 cooler in the mail coming to me. cant wait to overclock them! wanna update this thread with your overclocking results ordovician? im really interested to see how these non-reference powercolor cards do. also, does using two crosfire bridges give you any performance increase at all over a single crossfire bridge? i was surprised to find that that powercolor card had two crossfire connectors. the new xfx non-reference model only has one.

oos now.

im very particular about how stuff looks in my rig. im quite vain. even took the purple corsair stickers off my ram cooler cuz they didnt match the red and black theme. :) which is why i wouldnt buy that ugly card ever. but man thats one hell of a deal. i have an asus 5770 V2 cooler and i have an xfx 5770 V2 cooler in the mail coming to me. cant wait to overclock them! wanna update this thread with your overclocking results ordovician? im really interested to see how these non-reference powercolor cards do. also, does using two crosfire bridges give you any performance increase at all over a single crossfire bridge? i was surprised to find that that powercolor card had two crossfire connectors. the new xfx non-reference model only has one.

I used to be "vain" about my rigs like that, with color scemes, etc. I too have a red and black theme in my computer, but mobo makers are leaning more and more to blue, which makes it realllly difficult these days. I just gave up. I used a tinted red window on my side panel, so you can't tell when the door is shut. That helps.

I don't usually OC video cards. Is there much to be gained from these things? I suppose I could do some real world testing.... I kind of wish I had a spare 5850 to do a side-by-side comparison. According to everything I've read, the 5770s are better.

Supposedly there IS better performance from using two crossfire connectors. It's not much, but of course every little bit helps when you're talking crossfire scaling.

taxes kill every deal from newegg. no thanks.

Don't live in Cali :p

Last edited:
I used to be "vain" about my rigs like that, with color scemes, etc. I too have a red and black theme in my computer, but mobo makers are leaning more and more to blue, which makes it realllly difficult these days. I just gave up. I used a tinted red window on my side panel, so you can't tell when the door is shut. That helps.

I don't usually OC video cards. Is there much to be gained from these things? I suppose I could do some real world testing.... I kind of wish I had a spare 5850 to do a side-by-side comparison. According to everything I've read, the 5770s are better.

Supposedly there IS better performance from using two crossfire connectors. It's not much, but of course every little bit helps when you're talking crossfire scaling.

i chose the evga x58 micro over the rampage II gene because of colors. i really wish i could have gone with the r2g as its much superior. :/ as for OCing, i've never tried it either but im going to with these as i hear they do pretty well. i'm hoping to match 5870 performance numbers. and yeah i have two crossfire connectors, so why not use them?

i chose the evga x58 micro over the rampage II gene because of colors. i really wish i could have gone with the r2g as its much superior. :/ as for OCing, i've never tried it either but im going to with these as i hear they do pretty well. i'm hoping to match 5870 performance numbers. and yeah i have two crossfire connectors, so why not use them?

Did you get your 5770s from this deal?

Ok, got them installed. I did not reinstall Windows 7, but I did install the Cat 10.4 betas. In Dirt 2 all settings maxed with 4x AA I got 62.8 min fps and 74.9 avg fps. If you guys want more I will do more benchmarking. I'm playing BC2 in DX10 with 4x AA and medium-high settings. I prefer really smooth frames to IQ. Either way, these absolutely DESTROY a 4890. Night and day difference. I can actually play Company of Heroes in DX10 with all settings maxed and 4x AA, something not even the 4890 could do smoothly.

With no tweaking or overclocking (besides CPU at 3.4ghz) they score an 18643 in 3DMark 06.

Last edited:
After a reinstall of the OS, I just broke 20k in 3DMark 06. I can run BC2 on high in DX11.

Can anyone tell me when the best time is to check newegg open box items?

seems the best time to look ...seems tuesday or friday evenings around 4-5 CST.

Thats when I typically check..and I got a hell of a deal on 2 MSI 5770's Reference Cards for 117 each..Rather nice.

Should have them In my Puter by Wednesday. Have a 4890 now..so this should make a nice Improvement in BC2.

Back