gotta get a new tv soon!

Hey guys, im going to be buying a TV before this weekend's NBA playoff games... I got $1000 to spend and I want something thats probably 42". Im fine with either LCD or Plasma, but its gotta have at the bare minimum 720p (which it should). It will be used for HD sports and for xbox 360. It would also be nice to have that free over the air digital antenna free thing too.

I gotta buy it from either Costco or Circuit City (friend can get me discount at circuit city, and costco owns)...

What TV's do you recommend? My main questions would be in regards to features, HD capability and picture clarity. Any insights you could give are helpful.

At circuit city im looking at the LG 42" Plasma HDTV (42PG20), Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV (PN42A450), and the Vizio 42" LCD HDTV (VX42LHDTV10A).

At Costco im looking at the Phillips 42" tv that they have on sale starting later today and maybe one of their Vizio's...

any advice will help immensely

edit: add this primarily to the list: Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV
Model #: PAN TH42PX80U

Ok, so i have narrowed down my decision to either the Panasonic TH42PZ80U 42" plasma or the Samsung LN-T4069F 40" 120hz LCD. I saw both at bestbuy today, and i do have to say that i was thoroughly impressed with everything about the samsung.... however...

Ive been reading on AVS forum alot that the settings are set on torch mode (super bright) for presentation purposes at bestbuy, and the panasonic seemed a bit dim. Is this just settings? how comparable in terms of picture quality are they? I like the fact that the panasonic is 2" bigger and is $300 cheaper, but i do love the samsung picture quality (120hz!)...

which one should i choose! (also in consideration is the lower model samsung 40" tv that isnt 120hz...

That is the BEST option for the money....get it....NOW
QFT

thats exactly the one I've been looking at... I may go with the new 46", we'll see. I have a friend who's quite into televisions and he says panasonic plasmas are the best out there right now. his 60" looks pretty nice :rolleyes:

Ive been reading on AVS forum alot that the settings are set on torch mode (super bright) for presentation purposes at bestbuy, and the panasonic seemed a bit dim. Is this just settings?
What you are seeing is the inherent difference between Plasma and LCD.
IN THE STORE, LCD will look better. The store is BRIGHT, and the TVs are set to 100% brightness. Plasma is dimmer than LCD.
It's a bit like loudness. If one set of speakers are a bit lourder than a different set, we perceive it as better. The same is true in the TV store as well. Brighter = better.
This is, of course, not true after bringing the TV home. I don't know where you have your TV or when you watch it, but Plasmas seem dim in bright light. For that locale, choose LCD. For darker places, or the evening/night, Plasma will kick ass and LCD will just torture your eyes with overpowering brightness.

I have a panasonic 42PV60 (2 generations older than what you're looking at). It's fantastic. And Panasonics prices are very hard to beat.

looks like im going with the panasonic then... ive gotten overwhelming response for their plasma's on multiple forums... know anywhere that i can get a good deal on these (i.e. discounts?)

I just got a Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U, and I am loving it. People complain about the reflection in the screen, but I am coming from a 36" Sony CRT so to me with the anti-reflective coating it's awesome. I did a lot of research and I went with the Panasonic. I don't think you can beat their price to quality. I am totally satisfied.

Back