gothic iii

yea ive tried it.

Overall i really like the game, but i have a few gripes about it.

When you get attacked by an animal (wolf, alligator, etc. etc.), your pretty much gonna get raped cause they attack in a full automatic way(think of a gun). one attack straight after another, and if you dont get lucky and get to run your ass away, or somehow get a lucky slice in to kill it, your dead.. and this means you have to reload from your last save...

overall i like the game.. but it seems to have performance issues on my comp. I have an opty 165, and yes I have both dual core patches, but it still hickups ALOT.. i somehow deal with it though.. good game so far.. a BILLION quests. Lots of cool features oblivion left out.

Def a must bye if you are a gothic fan, or if you liked oblivion, or any other action rpg game.

Yeah I dislike that as well. I can kill a wolf easy enough but if they hit me im screwed. The game also runs pretty bad on my system. I recieve constant jolting when walking across the enviroment with everything on low. Overall the game would be excellent if they ironed out those couple of issues.

it's very much like oblivion.

It runs semi decently on my system, but does hiccup a lot. The one thing that's really bugging me is that sometimes when the camera is angled a certain way, the screen starts to flash. It's almost as if the camera is stuck in some weird angle and ends up clipping the whole screen.

Anyone experience this with the game? Beautiful game on high detail, but I don't have the means to run it that way. Also the combat doesn't feel engaging. Just a continual hack hack hack hack. Maybe the sound effects aren't good enough or something.

Load times are actually longer than oblivion load times too.

I never saw the big deal about this series.. And God, every game has been buggy as hell for me.

So far imo it is much better than oblivion. This game just has more variation which oblivion lacked. The cave designs are all different and there is no loading when going into them. The game is filled with creatures that dont hurt you but it makes it more realistic (rabbits,sea turtles, snakes, lizards, deer, bugs...etc). And the combat while not the greatest is more appealing than most rpgs.

I hated the game at first. It was vastly unfair. 2 hits from anything and you'd die. But i stuck with it and its seriously good fun. Combat has some really annoying quirks though. Such as when your guy sometimes puts his weapon away during battle for no reason and if you want to quickly run away when using a bow, sometimes the sprint button makes you sneak. Well annoying. Oh and the BOARS!, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOARS!. I managed to clear a mine with loads of goblins and 6 ogres, even magaed to kill the 3 dragons guarding a load of treasure with my level 6 character and about 300 arrows. I'm running through the forest a few minutes later and a boar sniffs me twice. DEAD.

BUT the actual exploration and missions are really good fun. The landscape is MUCH more interesting than oblivions boring rolling hills, with proper cliffs and mountains, deep chasms, huge forests, and rivers and stuff. Really good looking game. The draw distance isnt as impressive as oblivions, though it does suffer from draw-in which is just the same.

Another good thing about the game is the unlimited pockets of your character. Lot easier than having to trudge back and forth to collect loot you had to leave behind ala oblivion. You can also get other characters to follow you round, helping with your battles.

One thing i dont like is the bipolar music though. Its noon and you're walking through a meadow in the sun, the wind lighlty blowng flowers and trees and hares play in the grass. The music is nice and calming with a relaxing tune, then suddenly it turns dark and morbid for a while before going back to nice, claming and relaxing. It just seems so out of place and there isnt any reason for it. I though it was battle music and keep looking round for something to fight but its part of that particular score. Really annoying because some of the music is excellent.

Despite its flaws, i'm really enjoying the game. Its sucking me in just like Oblivion did when that was released. I can see me playing a lot of Gothic 3 for the next few weeks.

@skirrow.. the music changes to dark and morbid when you come to close to an enemy / wolf / bore. you probably didnt see one cause you were running or something. lol.

If they fix the hickup problem, and make the animals not ass rape you, then it will be one of the best rpg's ive played.

k1ng said:
I have an opty 165, and yes I have both dual core patches, but it still hickups ALOT.. i somehow deal with it though..
Well, they could have had my money, but now that won't be the case. It's unfortunate that they haven't decided to employ mildly capable programmers. Why would anyone willingly pay incapable, unqualified employees? It boggles the mind!

Have you tried manually setting the executable to single processor only via imagecfg?

I have'nt manually set the affinity, ill try that next and see if it helps at all.

It must be something with the dualcore cause im only running at 1280x1024 most on medium, some low, i get 80fps in some spots.. i turn quickly and get 2fps..

Even though my card is now old, a x850xtpe should be able to handle that, and 2gigs of ram makes me also wonder how good the programmers were...

k1ng said:
@skirrow.. the music changes to dark and morbid when you come to close to an enemy / wolf / bore. you probably didnt see one cause you were running or something. lol.

If they fix the hickup problem, and make the animals not ass rape you, then it will be one of the best rpg's ive played.

Yes and no. Yeah the music changes when you get attacked, but as i say i've looked around. and seen no enemies. But after playing to today i've noticed that there are 'cells' within the game. Like an invisible grid, like a map has. And each time you cross a from one cell to another the music changes. There is a drum roll to signify the change. To be honest its a shit way of doing it. I like the oblivion way better. Having the various 'exploration' tunes randomised and changing once a track finishes, or interrupted when a fight starts. This 'cell' structure is shite. Doesnt really affect you in towns, since they seem to be in a cell of their own, but wandering about, its really annoying.

im runnin an opty165 too... but the game doesnt hiccup for me... it runs ultra fast like its on turbo, I have to restart my pc to fix the issue.. its annoying. Though I am enjoying the game for as little as I have been able to play.

Once you get past the quirky controls, the game absolutely rocks. Its MUCH better than Oblivion imo, as it feels and plays like a TRUE RPG, whereas Oblivion was just a GTA game in a medievial skin.

It's a Gothic game so bugs are inevitable, and performance isn't ideal, but the actual game more than makes up for the annoyance.

Tetrahedron said:
..it runs ultra fast like its on turbo, I have to restart my pc to fix the issue..
Another threading related issue. Unreal.

What kind of hardware are they developing on? Have they any idea what threading is? My mind has been blown!

If the programmers had finished their work, this would be my favourite game.
The biggest bug is the memory bug. When you have saved several times, the game crashes and takes the computer with it. Three updates are out now, but they have not been able to fix it. With the progress in the game, the problem gets worse, because more data have to be stored. After Level 43 i started from the beginning, because the game crashed too often. Now i am Level 23 again and the memory problem is showing up again.
Another big problem is the bad sound. They set the orchestra music to loud, because otherwise people could hear from the beginning, that there is not much sound.
There is so much potential in the game. The seamless world would be a phantastic feature, but it seems that the programmers are not able to handle it.
In my Opinion Gothic 3 needs another year of work. I hope, that it will be fixed. But there is so much to be done and the gamers have already paid for this crap... :(

willi42 said:
If the programmers had finished their work, this would be my favourite game.
The biggest bug is the memory bug. When you have saved several times, the game crashes and takes the computer with it. Three updates are out now, but they have not been able to fix it. With the progress in the game, the problem gets worse, because more data have to be stored. After Level 43 i started from the beginning, because the game crashed too often. Now i am Level 23 again and the memory problem is showing up again.
Another big problem is the bad sound. They set the orchestra music to loud, because otherwise people could hear from the beginning, that there is not much sound.
There is so much potential in the game. The seamless world would be a phantastic feature, but it seems that the programmers are not able to handle it.
In my Opinion Gothic 3 needs another year of work. I hope, that it will be fixed. But there is so much to be done and the gamers have already paid for this crap... :(

The sound design is potentially the worst I've ever seen. You have almost no sound effects (even on max volume) and the grunts that the orcs have are... awful. The first thing playing this demo reminded me of was Dungeon Lords. Yes, it's that bad.

Elder scrolls 4 oblivion run nice on my pc, most thing allw ay up at 1024x768.
P4 2.8HT 800bus
2gb ram
6800GT.

I can say gothic 3 runs like crap on my pc, I like the exploration area and all but overall it's on the buggy side, I turned all options on low and it still runs like crap, I noticed it ran at same speed with all setting up, and all settings down so It is a in game problem. Loading times are really long, even with my 2gb I am not getting decent loading times, first game I ever ran across that didn't run well on my more up to date pc. Only other game was Deus Ex invisible war and that was back when I had my old pc. Looks like a bunch of us are going to eventually have to pick up the newer nvidia 8800 and core 2 duo processors to regain some of our honor, bty has anyone with a 8800 and a core 2 duo machine tried running the demo?

Runs great on my rig on Highest. A little slow downs here and there but never unplayable.

I love it. I've always loved Gothic. The DoF in the game is pleasant, and the shader effects are key.

I love being able to literally play as a hunter selling your wares and not being directly forced into pure combat roles like other games.

I'm a big fan of the series and this game is no different

I played a bit longer, things I noticed.
Long load, specially if you died.
There is no icon telling you if a item is hot, so I touched a chest and the guy got pissed and attacked me.
combat can be a little dumb, i pulled some enemies in the rebel camp, by mistake I did a blow on one of the locals and they killed me.

Long load time is beacause... SEEMLESS.

No "steal" icon... cmon man, do you need to know not to steal people shiznit.

weird gripes man.

The combat is a bit tricky... but Locking on your target and holding the right mouse button and using A or D to move is pretty awesome

With Crossfire enabled, the game is slower than without. I played with different settings without a result. Does anybody know how to make use of crossfire in Gothic3 ? :(

I loved the Elder Scrolls series, especially 3 and 4, but at the time I was playing 3 (Morrowind), I tried Gothic 2 and I can say it was an awful experience. Yes, it had some appealing points, but overall, I disliked it.
I'm downloading Gothic 3 demo right now to try it out. Gothic 2 was a painful experience IMHO, when compared to Morrowind. But after reading this thread, hopefully, I'll like this one.

Silus said:
I loved the Elder Scrolls series, especially 3 and 4, but at the time I was playing 3 (Morrowind), I tried Gothic 2 and I can say it was an awful experience. Yes, it had some appealing points, but overall, I disliked it.
I'm downloading Gothic 3 demo right now to try it out. Gothic 2 was a painful experience IMHO, when compared to Morrowind. But after reading this thread, hopefully, I'll like this one.

Ha, someone who feels the same way I do! :p

A friend on one of my forums suggested Morrowind to me and it was like the best RPG I'd ever played. Loved it and played it a couple times through, 100 - 200 hours each time. The same friend suggested Gothic and Gothic II and I couldn't get into either of them. I downloaded the demo from Gothic III over the weekend and I'm going to try it soon. Hopefully I'll like it, cause I can always use another good RPG to play. Of course, I have to tear myself away from NWN2 long enough to install and try the demo... ;)

I played old school games like fallout 1,2,tactics, I got elderscrolls 4 oblivion, diablo 2, and I tried gothic 2, it was good only problem is combat was hard as hell and I kept getting killed. So far similar issue with gothic 3 but combat has improved a lot, it's actually able to beat an enemy, sometimes the enemy pulls off a chain of attacks and kills you without letting you get up, I found fighting an orc with full armament easier, the extra reach of the cythe helps. If they fix the resources issues it would be a wonderfull game. I have a P4 2.8HT 800bus, 2gb ram, and a 6800Gt and I can say is I had to lower graphics resolution to 1024x764 and turned all options to low and it runs like poop, I noticed it runs as slow with all options in high than in low, only 2fps difference, Load times are too long, specially when it becomes easy to get killed by a pack of wolfs. So if they fix fighting and speed problems it's a promissing game.

Back