Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

More shipments went out yesterday and today. Stock should show up at US resellers very soon.

When do you expect accessories to show up in the Corsair On-Line Store? And did you find most of the problems reported with the 1st shipment to be from damage during shipping? Or were there actual changes made in the production method? Or a little bit of both?

Last edited:
Heh, I just checked Newegg and sure enough I was charged for the case. I'm not going to cancel it and just bite the bullet I suppose. If GPU temps ever become a problem I'm sure there will be a solution via new side panel or watercooling. :)

I think you will like the case and I think that air flow will be ok. I plan to start with only 2 low speed fans in the top. I have 3 cases with top vents, 1 has only 1 fan and it cools as well as the other 2 with 2 fans. If you are running only 1 card and have the room you could mount a 100mm fan blowing air into the case. I have done this on 1 of the cases and it helped the GPU temp considerably. I will try the new case without it and increase the air flow as required. The PSU will be in a chamber by itself and the heat from it will not be below the GPU as it is now with 2 of my current cases.

Redbeard is right on the money, Newegg has the 800D in stock ready to ship!

No longer on back order.

You serious? Man, I just placed a decent-sized order with them, and i would've had the no interest if they had this in stock .... oh well. :p

Mine is shipping from CA to PA, hopefully the forklift/cargo transporters/delivery people don't smash the hell out of it.

You might want to pull it out of the box and examine it and try a trial fit for the cards. There has been a problem with several cases of the cards not aligning with the screws that secure them in the case.

I finally had a chance to throw an old motherboard and videocard into the case. Everything seems to line up just fine, nothing out of the ordinary and certainly nothing as bad as some of the photos I've seen posted.

So glad things are ok so far, I hate shipping stuff back to Amazon. :)

I got the modded video cards and vinyl dyed cables in this weekend. This was a whole lot less work than sleeving and I liked the result.

Still left to do is the final lighting, finish the baybus electrical and clean up the rat's nest in the back and I'll post a build log on a new thread with final pics.

But this Obsidian is by far the best case I've ever owned. Cable routing is a dream. The workable space is (as the thread title says)...HUGE. I heard someone claim the hot-swap bays were insulated, never heard confirmation from Redbeard on that. I doubted it since I didn't see anything back in there. But since my 2x Seagates are SILENT even during intense seeks, there's some sort of quiet goodness going on in there.

This is, hand's down, the cleanest, best case I've ever used.

dsc01094medium.jpg

dsc01097medium.jpg

Last edited:
dugn - Great pics, this is the first time in years I'm actually looking forward to building a new rig. I got tired of it ages ago and actually paid a local shop a little bit to do my last two PCs; it became a chore I just couldn't be bothered to do myself anymore. I never thought I'd look forward to getting my hands dirty with a "from scratch" build again. :)

Jesus H Christ that was one hell of a read... I was wondering what was happening with case and found this thread. Now my eyes don't work :(

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures and info.

I love this case (Oh and thanks to corsair for having a decent selling price in Australia) but I am going to hold off little bit and see if there is a revision and what accessories will be available.

dugn: you forgot to wire up your dvd drive. ;) btw, where did u order the cpu cooler from?

Last edited:
dugn: you forgot to wire up your dvd drive. ;) btw, where did u order the cpu cooler from?

Waiting for the 90 degree power + data plug to do the DVD :)

ZipZoomFly had the Corsair H50. Do Bing Cashback to get either 5% or 3% back on it too.

Do you think its possible to fit two H50's?

The question is where would you place the intake for the 140mm radiator and fan. I suppose you could if you attached it to the bottom intake grill, but then airflow becomes an even bigger issue than before. I guess all exhaust would have to be through 120mm fans at the top if you did that.

The question is where would you place the intake for the 140mm radiator and fan. I suppose you could if you attached it to the bottom intake grill, but then airflow becomes an even bigger issue than before. I guess all exhaust would have to be through 120mm fans at the top if you did that.

To clarify - the H50 has a 120mm fan and radiator. In fact, the Obsidian case comes with a 140mm in the back (where I put my H50 in the pictures above). But Corsair smartly put 120mm holes in the 140mm bay so when you remove the 140 to repalce it with the H50 120/rad it fits perfectly and has pre-drilled holes for just that purpose.

To clarify - the H50 has a 120mm fan and radiator. In fact, the Obsidian case comes with a 140mm in the back (where I put my H50 in the pictures above). But Corsair smartly put 120mm holes in the 140mm bay so when you remove the 140 to repalce it with the H50 120/rad it fits perfectly and has pre-drilled holes for just that purpose.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I guess you'd throw a second H50 onto one of the top vents, but then the issue becomes one of airflow since the recommended configuration with a single H50 is using the top fans as exhaust since the rear vent is used for intake with it installed.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I guess you'd throw a second H50 onto one of the top vents, but then the issue becomes one of airflow since the recommended configuration with a single H50 is using the top fans as exhaust since the rear vent is used for intake with it installed.

True. But I heard (think it was Maximum PC) who said using the H50 as an exhaust instead of intake changed the temps by all of 3 degrees. With my idle CPU going from 36 down to 25 with the H50, I'm not terribly concerned about that small of a difference.

Last edited:
Another thought about the fans, is if they would have drilled similar holes for the other 140mm fan's... this way if people wanted to stick their own fan's on there they'd have the option... 80 and 120mm are by far the most common fan size, but 140 isn't quite popular yet.

I bought some S-flex's with the idea of replacing all of the fan's with them, but as it turns out I can't on the bottom one and the HDD one because they're only drilled for 140...

Just another idea for Redbeard... I think 140/120 is fine, coolermaster does 140/120/80mm on the same grill but I can't see anyone going as small as 80mm...

Anyone comment on airflow? According to this, airflow seems terrible.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/corsair_obsidian_800d/1

Granted the comparison was against an HAF which is basically made up of fans and vents :p.

Even if it went against the ATCS 840 or any Silverstone/Lian Li it would have lost. There are not that many cases with this airflow design. It reminds me of the Cosmos 1000, which also intaked air form the bottom of the case and cooked components in a similar fashion.

But if you're water cooling its a dream come true.

Even if it went against the ATCS 840 or any Silverstone/Lian Li it would have lost. There are not that many cases with this airflow design. It reminds me of the Cosmos 1000, which also intaked air form the bottom of the case and also cooked components in a similar fashion.

But if your water cooling its a dream come true.

Though the Coolermaster Cosmos isn't the greatest case for air cooling you can do a few things to improve the situation with it. I know I have with mine.

Though the Coolermaster Cosmos isn't the greatest case for air cooling you can do a few things to improve the situation with it. I know I have with mine.

Yeah I know. It's just that the cooling is so similar to the Cosmos which was already proven a problem for high end air cooled PCs. It's the extra cost of fans and in some cases modding of the chassis to achieve decent results. I would have traded the extra cables and stuff for two included top fans.

Users are buying this cases for the all black look, water cooling potential, and cable management. Every other feature is according to individual needs.Two front intake fans could have been added, and hot swap add on could have been sold separately to replace the fans! i.e. Lian Li removable HDD cages or like the B70 & B71, two different models that makes hot swap HDDs optional. This would have made this case the greatest ever and lowered the MSRP. Great Idea, right?

I've had the HAF and love my Antec P180 and this Obsidian isn't just black, great for cable management and super for WC, it's a great air cooling case too.

I've got my fans running at 1/2 speed unless the sensors read anything higher than 50C anywhere and then they spin up to 100%. I've been beating on this thing for a few days with Prime and can't get this sucker to get even close to 50C. I honestly can't see how you can say this thing isn't good on air.

Yeah I know. It's just that the cooling is so similar to the Cosmos which was already proven a problem for high end air cooled PCs. It's the extra cost of fans and in some cases modding of the chassis to achieve decent results. I would have traded the extra cables and stuff for two included top fans.

Users are buying this cases for the all black look, water cooling potential, and cable management. Every other feature is according to individual needs.Two front intake fans could have been added, and hot swap add on could have been sold separately to replace the fans! i.e. Lian Li removable HDD cages or like the B70 & B71, two different models that makes hot swap HDDs optional. This would have made this case the greatest ever and lowered the MSRP. Great Idea, right?

I don't think the air cooling design is that bad based on what I've seen of the design. I've just heard the fans were weak. If that's true then I think Corsair should have gone with some higher RPM or higher flow fans if the air flow / cooling is really that bad. As for an alternate version with or without hot swap drive cages, well I actually want them and I don't know why anyone wouldn't. It should provide a really clean look in regard to cable management and makes expansion easy. Still I bet the reason they didn't do things that way is due to logistics.

I actually love that you can't hear the 140mm fans, silence has been a top priority of mine for the last few years. That said, I will probably end up installing a 5.25" bay fan module in the front, one of the ones that takes up three 5.25" bays to make room for a 120mm fan. All I need is an optical drive and my fan controller, two out of five slots, the rest go for the fan. Throw a Noisetaker 19db fan in there and I think I'll make up for whatever airflow deficiencies there are without compromising how quiet I want it to be.

Just wondering has anyone else ordered from Amazon after Aug 26 and still waiting?

I contacted Amazon and I got a reply saying the new estimated delivery date is Oct 27th.

If this is true I'll be waiting 2 months for this case, I hate to cancel the order since I have $120 dollars in Amazon credit to help pay for this case but it seems I might have to and get it from Newegg.

I don't think the air cooling design is that bad based on what I've seen of the design. I've just heard the fans were weak. If that's true then I think Corsair should have gone with some higher RPM or higher flow fans if the air flow / cooling is really that bad. As for an alternate version with or without hot swap drive cages, well I actually want them and I don't know why anyone wouldn't. It should provide a really clean look in regard to cable management and makes expansion easy. Still I bet the reason they didn't do things that way is due to logistics.

The hot swap bay on the this case is great, it just should be optional for the other majority of users who do need it and want a front intakes. If you want hot swap install it, if not remove it and replace it with fans. With two intakes, two hot swaps can be installed, or just one and you will still have one intake fan along with it. Corsair will sell more cases if it's great at air and water cooling.

As for placing on fan in the 5.25 bay, I thought about that also, but more air needs to be directed over the GPUs rather than the ram. If your using an SLI/CF setup the first card will suck up most of the air. Also hot air gets trapped in the rear of the case under the GPUs because the air is being sucked out the top of the case, rather than being pushed out the rear and top like other cases.

I've got my fans running at 1/2 speed unless the sensors read anything higher than 50C anywhere and then they spin up to 100%.

Dugn,

Do you control your fans manually, or do you have a fan controller than you can program according to the temp?

Thanks.

Mine arrived today from newegg. The box was completely undamaged, the foam inside unbroken, and the case pristine. Unfortunately I have a date with the wife tonight so I won't be installing things till tomorrow.

BTW this thing id freaking huge it makes my P180 look small

Very very happy :)

Back