Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

Tell you what, email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up with a replacement side panel when they come in. Shouldn't be too long now. That box was bashed to hell - never seen styrofoam busted that badly.

Wonder if the UPS driver even stopped the truck before he kicked it off.

Actually in this case it was Fedex Home Delivery (aka Fedex Ground). It is actually a little worse than what it looks like in those pictures. If I took the plastic off a little more, you'd see that type of deformation of the box all the way around. I'll do a test fit of an old motherboard in a bit before I decide on what to do. If the slots are too misaligned, I may just return it. Right now, not only is that rear panel dinged, it is actually curved. What impacted it may have caused other things.

Last edited:
I've been considering this case, and had decided to get it. But rewading this thread makes me secondguess that decision.

My major gripes with the case:

From what i've read, it seems the drivebays for the hot swapable hdd case aren't screwless. Is that a joke, or did someone comment on something that differs from the production model? What's the point of having the option to hotswap, if you'll have to get a screwdriver and waste time with mounting the drives in the rails?

From the reviews it doesn't seem that there's any form of antivib in these drivebays. You'd have to find a pretty cheap case in order not to get some sort of antivib dampening. But on that note: How much noise do the harddrives make mounted in the hot swapables?

No antivib beneath the psu?! I know (have read through the entire thread) that it's being considered. Still think it's weird it wasn't thought of before the case launches.

Think that's about it i guess. If i go and buy one, i sure hope it's being treated with kidgloves on it's journey to me. Doesn't seem it's packaged well enough, judging from the stories in this thread, and several reviews where a broken side window seems to be the norm.

Let me stress: I'm not a Corsair fan. Have had a few Corsair PSU's that either had a noisy fan, or coilwhined. Never had any problems with Corsair memory though, and love my Corsair memory stick:) But seeing the 800D made me go bananas. I loove the look of it, and think it's rly well thoght out. Especially the cableside of it. Man you can make som nice installs in this case. I'm just doubting the value atm, keeping the beforementioned flaws in mind. When you wanna play with the bigs boys, you better bring the goods.

I don't know how many of you have recieved the case in full working order, but would love to hear your thought about the case. Are the hdd's noisy because of the lack of dampening, does the PSU vibrate? Some of you have had way more cases than i will ever own i guess, that's why i'm asking. Most of my cases have been in the @ 100$ category, and i lack the experience dealing with high end cases.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Wired here, aka the Corsair Forum whore... err... the no I don't work for Corsair™ Forum Admin. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here.

I have to say, this thread beats the crap out of the main 800D thread on the Corsair forum in posts / day, # of pages, as well as quality of input! Can't wait to see how people mod it. Feel free to post pictures / comment on it in the case gallery on the Corsair forum: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

After reading this thread and seeing the final case, I'm tempted to switch from my Coolermaster ATCS 840 to this bad boy. I personally don't like the window shape / layout either (too low for my taste), but the power cable management was NOT fun when setting up my HX1000W in the ATCS, and my USB headset's cable keeps getting caught in the ACTS's front fan guard thing-a-ma-bob™.

As for the shipping concerns, the styrofoam packaging setup looks similar to how my ATCS case came last year: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=96 As you can see, it didn't arrive without damage either, nor was it double boxed. I'd be curious to see how double boxing changes the price / shipping weight of the 800D.

I'm interested in what people are saying about the conditions of the boxes / cases in a week to a month when more have arrived to end users. That way there'll be more data / variations in shipping time / locations to sift through. Either way Redbeard's definitely on top of it.

My ATCS 840 sits 3/8 inches above the floor, but the fan filter under it is almost flush with the ground. Not much airflow to begin with, and add a rug underneath it and the air flow is practically zilch. Sounds like the 800D is a full inch above the floor, but how thick is the fan filter that's underneath the case? How much real space is there underneath for air? I'd like to see taller feet and / or wheels for sale as accessories for the 800D, or at least a survey in a month or two seeing who'd be interested in them. While the static bay for ports doesn't bother me, I'd like to see a movable bay in a future case as well.

Redbeard: I'd love to see a mechanical drawing of the 800D show up on the website one day :)

OT:
A while back people used our tech support forums to discuss various competitors' products and whatnot. From a tech support perspective, it doesn't really matter if your Corsair doesn't work and your Kingston/Patriot/G.Skill does. It just matters that you have one set that doesn't work and one that does.

Also, we had some people that worked for some competitors register and come onto the forum a while back and recommend people switch to Brand X. It was pretty blatant, and it happened all the time.

Post 1: My Corsair XMS 3200C2 won't boot on my NF7 board!
Post 2: Corsair is not compatible go buy these modules from BRAND X they worked fine for me!

In 30 different places all day long, we'd ban the guy and he'd show up again and again. So they just *** out the names of some competitors now to keep things tidy I guess.

You'd have to ask Ram Guy, though.
Yep, that just about sums it up. It's sad, but people to this very day still get Corsair mixed up with their competitors when it comes to support. I think someone actually posted about someone else's memory today in fact. To clarify one thing though: threads aren't blocked, only certain words / phrases. I'd have to check, but I think there's more settings for gold spammers than there is for competitors' names :) Only spam is deleted from the forum.

No one gets banned for it unless they violate the rules after being PM'd about it, and even that's a short ban... unless it's a spammer, which in that case I take out my mighty SPAM HAMMER OF DOOM™ and bash their avatar until it resembles abstract art :)

Here's a quick update. Threw in my old Maximus Formula as a test fit/alignment (I'd be using my Classified instead of course though), then pulled out my 4870X2 to see how the holes lined up. Here is the result:

3895417076_ae2e08e641_b.jpg

I could get the holes to line up if I pushed on the back of the case a bit. I made sure the motherboard was as close as possible to the back of the case to try to avoid that being the issue. I did throw my X-Fi in there but didn't take a pic. It took about twice as much force to "massage" the top slot into alignment. Yes, I know the top slot isn't a true 1X PCI-E slot on the Maximus Formula, but the alignment should be the same either way.

Hey guys. Wired here, aka the Corsair Forum whore

OT:
To clarify one thing though: threads aren't blocked, only certain words / phrases. I'd have to check, but I think there's more settings for gold spammers than there is for competitors' names :) Only spam is deleted from the forum.

Sorry Wired. Glad to see you drop in here. But I corrected 2 or 3 statements you and Ram Guy made about my company's software and TRIM support. Shortly thereafter someone initially deleted my last post on the thread. Then later, the entire thread was edited down to remove 3 of my posts and all comments in the thread as if that part of the discussion had never happened. Someone removes stuff - and it's not for violating your forum's rules.

That's your perogative. And I graciously assumed you use your forum for support, not to discuss topics or to correct incorrect information, so I left it at that. Heck - it's your forum.

But given that my on-topic, professional and corrective posts were removed - and that others on these forums have had similar experiences, I'm not sure you can expect the same kind of valuable banter, commentary, suggestions and active community invovlement in the Corsair forums as you can expect here.

Personally, I'm delighted this [H] forum exists and especially this thread. I've got 3 Corsair Obsidians on my way from the Egg now - and a heap of other new Corsair components have recently arrived in my lab.

But if I would have relied on the Corsair forums to get my information, insights and product comparisons, I never would have bought any of my recent Corsair product (PM me if you want to discuss).

But ultimately, this has been the most useful thread on the most useful forum that ultimately lead me to decide on many recent lab and game rig purchases - espcially the Obsidian - which I think is one of the best and most revolutionary cases made in a long time. I can't wait to get mine on Wednesday and add to the useful commentary here. Regrettably, it won't be in the Corsair forums.

The case should naturally line up with your card.

I wonder what Corsairs response is to this.

Since it's Labor Day weekend here in the US, we aren't even supposed to be working on this stuff, but you know me, I post here at all hours of the day or night just about any day of the week because if I didn't have this job I'd still be posting here talking to you guys about the same stuff I liked and didn't like anyway.

Anyway - I'll forward this to our engineering team and get a response. In the case I have, if I screwed the motherboard in close to the PCI slot covers before I tightened the motherboard screws, it didn't take much force, but it definitely wasn't perfectly aligned. I don't know that perfect is ever achievable, I've bought just about everybody else's case out there (you should see our warehouse, it's like, well, a showcase) and the slot brackets are always off just a bit.

But I do think it could be improved, so I'll put in the bug fix to engineering and have them get started on it. Once I get a response I'll work with any of you guys that have the problem severely (since it seems that it varies slightly as to how bad the issue is) to get you a working solution, no matter how much of a pain in the butt it would end up being for us.

Since the case and cooling products are my entire livelihood - I want everybody who buys one to be happy and I'll do whatever I have to do to make sure the product you bought is the product we said it is.

Since the case and cooling products are my entire livelihood - I want everybody who buys one to be happy and I'll do whatever I have to do to make sure the product you bought is the product we said it is.

And this is why I love these forums and Corsair's participation in them. Thanks, Redbeard.

About the only cases I've ever owned that were even near perfect were those with removable motherboard trays. Mainly cause you get to make it fit before you put it in the case.

dugn: send me a link to your profile / thread in question via PM here or there and I'll look into it.

I've only had a few cases that lined up perfectly...

And it varys by card manufacturer too. I had a Visiontek 4870x2 that never lined up in my case/motherboard properly... but I got an XFX GTX280 and it dropped into the same slot with no problems.

I think people are making a fuss over nothing, but maybe I'm not all that picky... If you couldn't get your card to fit, or PSU to fit, then I could understand, but you can get them to fit, it just requries a little pushing. I remember some crap-tastic cases I bought when I first started building computers which had such bad tolerances you couldn't line up I/o Shields or even fit DVD drives in the front. I bought a couple cheap ones from frys before settling on an Antec of some sort for $80 something.

Either way, mine shows up Wednesday, and unless something is terribly wrong with it, it'll be my case for atleast a year or two until someone releases something better.

And it varys by card manufacturer too. I had a Visiontek 4870x2 that never lined up in my case/motherboard properly... but I got an XFX GTX280 and it dropped into the same slot with no problems.

Same here, Only card I have the always lines up perfect is my sound card.

I think people are making a fuss over nothing, but maybe I'm not all that picky... If you couldn't get your card to fit, or PSU to fit, then I could understand, but you can get them to fit, it just requries a little pushing. I remember some crap-tastic cases I bought when I first started building computers which had such bad tolerances you couldn't line up I/o Shields or even fit DVD drives in the front. I bought a couple cheap ones from frys before settling on an Antec of some sort for $80 something.

Either way, mine shows up Wednesday, and unless something is terribly wrong with it, it'll be my case for atleast a year or two until someone releases something better.

The problem is that with the amount I have to push in the back, it exerts force on the slot as it pulls back outwards. This means that cards are potentially not seating properly and/or the socket itself could be damaged by pulling it away from the PCB.

As to perfect alignment. I went through numerous Chieftec, Antec and Compucase cases with zero issues with alignment beginning in 2000 or so and on through today. This is the first time I've had one that the alignment was a large enough concern that I worried about the stress on the components.

I could actually see the slot flex as soon as I released the pressure on the metal after pushing it in to screw it into place.

Sorry, that's just unacceptable.

I guess I have been lucky in all the systems I have built. The only problems I have had with alignment have been minor and it was the card not the case. I have built numerous system over the years, cost of the case have varied from $5 with rebate to around $200. I have had no significant problem with card alignment in any of them, the ones that I did have a problem with were the card not the case. From what I see in the photos, this is not a minor issue, especially for the cost of the case, in a sub $100 case it possibly could be overlooked, but not in a case that cost almost $300. Hope we start getting some good reports about alignment as others get the case.

Since it's Labor Day weekend here in the US, we aren't even supposed to be working on this stuff, but you know me, I post here at all hours of the day or night just about any day of the week because if I didn't have this job I'd still be posting here talking to you guys about the same stuff I liked and didn't like anyway.

Anyway - I'll forward this to our engineering team and get a response. In the case I have, if I screwed the motherboard in close to the PCI slot covers before I tightened the motherboard screws, it didn't take much force, but it definitely wasn't perfectly aligned. I don't know that perfect is ever achievable, I've bought just about everybody else's case out there (you should see our warehouse, it's like, well, a showcase) and the slot brackets are always off just a bit.

But I do think it could be improved, so I'll put in the bug fix to engineering and have them get started on it. Once I get a response I'll work with any of you guys that have the problem severely (since it seems that it varies slightly as to how bad the issue is) to get you a working solution, no matter how much of a pain in the butt it would end up being for us.

Redbeard, your response to this is appreciated. Your comments and attitude to work with the end user is what has kept me from canceling my order. Hopefully this is just a few isolated cases and not a problem with all of them.

All this talk about the misalignment being the fault of the cards, or happening in any case, made me want to defend them. It's not my cards that are misaligned..

Here is what I currently have everything installed in (Antec P182SE):

3896744339_466ca3a385_b.jpg

I think that Lian Li has the best locking system for the expansion bays for their new line of enclosures i.e. PC-P50 Armorsuit. Even though their design is patented I think Corsair can make their own spin off of the design. Lian Li uses a "vice like aluminum brace" to lock the expansion cards in place without screws thus solving the issue of some cards not being perfectly aligned. For a $300 case, this should be looked into.

Maybe Corsair can come up with a similar brace or sliding locking mechanism that will solve this issue. Lian Li has this in their lower line Lancool cases also that goes for $80-120. I don't think this will increase the cost for case since the price of it should drop over time, but I do understand that Corsair don't have spare parts laying around and it will take new R&D.

Last edited:
I've always prefered to screw the expansion cards into place rather than use the tool-less systems I've seen, including Lian-Li's.

have you used the Lian Li system?

I agree with you on the other tool-less designs, they're not good.

I have been a reader and a lurker at HardOCP for years until this issue brought me out of the shadows. I had just ordered this case (back ordered) I am concerned about the alignment issue and considered canceling my order because of it after all I have a perfectly good P180 case I could use. But frankly Redbeards passion, dedication, and "sweating the details" made me decide to stick it out. IF the problem is real and not due to shipping damage (unfortunately it looks like i may be) I am sure he will make it right somehow. So my order stands, thanks Redbeard.

have you used the Lian Li system?

I agree with you on the other tool-less designs, they're not good.

I have used their older designs. Not sure if the case mentioned above has a better design or not. But with the Lian-Li tool-less designs I've seen, I'd still opt for screws given the choice.

I have used their older designs. Not sure if the case mentioned above has a better design or not. But with the Lian-Li tool-less designs I've seen, I'd still opt for screws given the choice.
The Lian Li's latest tool-less design for cards is nearly perfect. Its used on the PC-P50 and A71F for example.

Lian Li has a new "Vice" like system now for the expansion bays, not the older ones you worked with. Here is the Newegg link and a video of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112240&Tpk=pc-p50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoSz_ZugCc

Pause the video at "The additional rubber padding" so you can get a closer look.

Any chance you could fit an RX 480 up top? It sure has the length to fit it. This is what I'm thinking for the configuration. On the 3 fan holes, the 120mm fans can be attached in pull config on the radiator and blowing out the top of the case. The 4th 120mm fan in the 5.25" bay will be attached under the radiator and will be in pull configuration but pointing down. The nozzles will be on the left side.

Does anyone else think this is possible or am I just crazy?

I just got mine via UPS today. It was a bit early since I preordered from Amazon and wasn't expecting to get it until the end of the month. Consider it a surprise when they bumped up their delivery estimate and I got my shipping notice last week. :)

First off, I have never been one to cheap out on my cases. I'm happy spending a little extra on a Lian Li or a Coolermaster Cosmos over something that is IMHO "adequate" like the Antecs. I have really high standards when it comes to layout, fit & finish, etc.

That said, the Obsidian is hands down the most intelligently, smartly laid out case I have gotten my hands on. Corsair thought of everything in terms of layout, placement, cable management, materials, finish, fit and finish, everything. Putting together new builds isn't something I generally look forward to but I actually can't wait to put together my new rig next month. WOW. :eek:

This review on Youtube is really good, I suggest checking it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX87TPid_po

Ugh, I gotta have that thing sitting in my closet for a whole month before I even have a chance to put together my new rig for the final Windows 7 retail. Come on October!

I just got mine via UPS today. It was a bit early since I preordered from Amazon and wasn't expecting to get it until the end of the month. Consider it a surprise when they bumped up their delivery estimate and I got my shipping notice last week. :)

First off, I have never been one to cheap out on my cases. I'm happy spending a little extra on a Lian Li or a Coolermaster Cosmos over something that is IMHO "adequate" like the Antecs. I have really high standards when it comes to layout, fit & finish, etc.

That said, the Obsidian is hands down the most intelligently, smartly laid out case I have gotten my hands on. Corsair thought of everything in terms of layout, placement, cable management, materials, finish, fit and finish, everything. Putting together new builds isn't something I generally look forward to but I actually can't wait to put together my new rig next month. WOW. :eek:

This review on Youtube is really good, I suggest checking it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX87TPid_po

Ugh, I gotta have that thing sitting in my closet for a whole month before I even have a chance to put together my new rig for the final Windows 7 retail. Come on October!

Thanks for the video link. Mine is on pre-order at Amazon, but no word yet of the shipping date.

Why the heck are you waiting til October to get your Windows 7 rig up and running?
You can legally rearm the 30 day trial of Windows 7 up to 3 times for a total of 120 days. By then, it will have hit retail and you can use a legit key to activate it. Just find an ISO of the Windows 7 RTM and use the trial rearm until you get your copy of W7. Its really easy, and this guide makes it fool proof:

Extend the Windows 7 Trial from 30 to 120 Days

If your reason for not starting your build is strictly a timing issue, then disregard my comment above, but if you are simply waiting for the release date of Windows 7... don't wait, start filling that case with hardware! :D

Last edited:
TWhy the heck are you waiting til October to get your Windows 7 rig up and running?
You can legally rearm the 30 day trial of Windows 7 up to 3 times for a total of 120 days. By then, it will have hit retail and you can use a legit key to activate it. Just find an ISO of the Windows 7 RTM and use the trial rearm until you get your copy of W7. Its really easy, and this guide makes it fool proof:

Extend the Windows 7 Trial from 30 to 120 Days

If your reason for not starting your build is strictly a timing issue, then disregard my comment above, but if you are simply waiting for the release date of Windows 7... don't wait, start filling that case with hardware! :D

I'm aware of how to extend the trial, it is a timing thing. I have Windows 7 RTM running on a partition on my Macbook Pro, and I'd install it on my desktop PC as well except that I really don't want to do more reformats/reinstalls than I have to. I'm more than happy waiting an extra month or so I can just do it once and be done with it.

Fortunately I will also be crazy busy this month. I'll be busy with work the next few days, then I work out of town all next week, and then I go on vacation the following week. By the time I'm back and all sorted out it will be much closer to build time. I got my eye on an i7 860 build, right now that looks like it'll be very nice. :)

Thanks for the link though.

You might want to pull it out of the box and examine it and try a trial fit for the cards. There has been a problem with several cases of the cards not aligning with the screws that secure them in the case.

You might want to pull it out of the box and examine it and try a trial fit for the cards. There has been a problem with several cases of the cards not aligning with the screws that secure them in the case.

I was thinking that as well. It would really suck to wait until his return period was past, then discover some kind of issue (and this applies to ANY purchase, not just this case). I'd at least do a mock-up and make sure everything fit and was functional.

Sure you could deal with warranty later (not a problem with Corsair, they'll take good care of you), but why bother if you don't need to?

I totally recommend testing it now.

It arrived today...and I refused shipment and sent it back without even opening it.

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

Obviously, I'm not even going to waste my time opening that with it beat to crap like that. I'll wait and get a new one when we have a batch that doesn't get beat up during shipping.

I'd like to point out one thing in the whole process that didn't suck though - when I called the Egg, they immediately issued me a $50 gift certificate, apologized for the whole mess, and let me know that as soon as it got back to their warehouse they'd have the credit posted to my card by the end of the day.

What a tremendous disappointment to someone who has been following this case since it was announced back in...what? Like March?

Wow that thing looks like it was crushed in a compacter then stuck on the delivery truck? I mean, how does that happen?

Just wanted to mention something about this as a few people have asked me about it.
I received two of these cases, the first being a pre-retail version. I found that -as you said - the screw holes, especially for the PSU were VERY difficult to fit, in fact I was only able to get in one screw as I didn't want to ruin the PSU threads.

However (due to some missing hot swap modules :p ) I received a second one near the end of August and all the screw holes for the PSU and PCI slots were near bang on. One was a little off for the PSU, but a bit of pressure on the PSU and quick hands made it just fine.

Just wanted to mention something about this as a few people have asked me about it.
I received two of these cases, the first being a pre-retail version. I found that -as you said - the screw holes, especially for the PSU were VERY difficult to fit, in fact I was only able to get in one screw as I didn't want to ruin the PSU threads.

However (due to some missing hot swap modules :p ) I received a second one near the end of August and all the screw holes for the PSU and PCI slots were near bang on. One was a little off for the PSU, but a bit of pressure on the PSU and quick hands made it just fine.

I am glad to hear that someone has received one in good condition. You are the 1st. The one in the previous posts looks bad. I don't blame him for rejecting it. They should totally enclose the case in a Styrofoam clam-shell like monitors are shipped. I have one on preorder at the egg and I am trying to decide whether to cancel or leave on order.

It arrived today...and I refused shipment and sent it back without even opening it.

Obviously, I'm not even going to waste my time opening that with it beat to crap like that. I'll wait and get a new one when we have a batch that doesn't get beat up during shipping.

I'd like to point out one thing in the whole process that didn't suck though - when I called the Egg, they immediately issued me a $50 gift certificate, apologized for the whole mess, and let me know that as soon as it got back to their warehouse they'd have the credit posted to my card by the end of the day.

What a tremendous disappointment to someone who has been following this case since it was announced back in...what? Like March?

From look at the UPS driver is standing in the background, it looks like Brian Urlacher delivered that box.

They are being shipped in weak boxes, my ATCS box is thicker than the 800D's.

Good Lord - that's the worst condition I've seen yet. That box looks terrible. Good call on refusing delivery.

He looked like an oversized version of Matthew Mcconaughey. His reply when I refused delivery - "I don't blame you dude - that thing looks like hell!"

From look at the UPS driver is standing in the background, it looks like Brian Urlacher delivered that box.

They are being shipped in weak boxes, my ATCS box is thicker than the 800D's.

True enough. I think you could ship a safe in the ATCS box.

Good Lord - that's the worst condition I've seen yet. That box looks terrible. Good call on refusing delivery.

I know you probably don't want to give out exact numbers, but approximately how many of these cases have been shipped out?

Is what we are seeing here a small percentage or is this a wide spread problem?

I really hope that what we are seeing here and on your Corsair forum is a small percentage and that the bulk of the cases are arriving in good condition. But so far the news has not been good.

Comments!

Back