Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

Contact Noctua and get Corsair edition black fans... that would be bad ass.

Is that possible? Does Noctua make fans for Corsair. if so, I'm all over this.

Also - the Corsair logo on the front of the case. Is that a decal, painted on, silkscreened or what? I really want to remove it once my Obsidian arrives. Knowing what it's made of will help me prep to remove it...

6. eSATA was considered by me but I decided against it because of the hot-swap bay. I've heard a lot of noise about it from you guys, so I'll look at adding it to the next case for sure.
I realize the position you're coming from, but the E-Sata port on the front panel is still great to have even with 4 hotswap bays. Correct me if I am wrong, but the hotswaps still require the drives to be restrained with screws, no?

I'd rather lose a couple of USB headers on the front then lose an E-Sata in this day and age.

I realize the position you're coming from, but the E-Sata port on the front panel is still great to have even with 4 hotswap bays. Correct me if I am wrong, but the hotswaps still require the drives to be restrained with screws, no?

I'd rather lose a couple of USB headers on the front then lose an E-Sata in this day and age.

It depends on your mobos eSATA chipset.
Most mobos have the eSATA ports on a separate controller usually the Sil Image 3114 from what Ive seen.
And it absolutely sucks.
Max transfer speed i have seen on that chipset is 20MB/s and that slower than USB2.0

Now if you run a SATA cable to one of the ICHx ports then youll get good speeds.
Now with USB 3.0 on the way I would rather keep USB on the front of case, and maybe add a FireWire800 for Video Cameras

It depends on your mobos eSATA chipset.
Most mobos have the eSATA ports on a separate controller usually the Sil Image 3114 from what Ive seen.
And it absolutely sucks.
Max transfer speed i have seen on that chipset is 20MB/s and that slower than USB2.0

Now if you run a SATA cable to one of the ICHx ports then youll get good speeds.
Now with USB 3.0 on the way I would rather keep USB on the front of case, and maybe add a FireWire800 for Video Cameras
I'm not saying remove all the USB ports, but two is enough, let alone 4 on a front case header.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still want a removable motherboard tray, dual processors builds are much easier with one. Otherwise, don't bother making it E-ATX. CPU cutout is nice for one processor but useless for duals.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still want a removable motherboard tray, dual processors builds are much easier with one. Otherwise, don't bother making it E-ATX. CPU cutout is nice for one processor but useless for duals.

I would like to see this as well.

Having a removable mobo tray for Dually rigs makes things so much better.

I could care less about the removable tray, all that adds is cost and complexity, plus you can't get such nice routing done with your wires. Almost every single one of my main rig cases has had removable trays, the only time I removed the tray in once of the cases was when I wanted to drill the tray to mod it.

This case is eatx to accommodate the larger enthusiast boards, not all types of server boards. While they can try to cater to all the suites of people, it would be impossible to cater to everything. A larger cutout that could cover all eatx board dual sockets would be so large that you would be able to see the cutout under normal atx boards.

I could also care less for the sata port on the front, much less audio, usb, and all that other garbage. All I really care for is the essentials on the front, power, reset, etc. Now, if you put all this functions in a removable bay, then people like me can remove them and people who wants everything but the kitchen sink on the front can have their way too.... perhaps sell different front end kits.

I could care less about the removable tray, all that adds is cost and complexity, plus you can't get such nice routing done with your wires. Almost every single one of my main rig cases has had removable trays, the only time I removed the tray in once of the cases was when I wanted to drill the tray to mod it.

This case is eatx to accommodate the larger enthusiast boards, not all types of server boards. While they can try to cater to all the suites of people, it would be impossible to cater to everything. A larger cutout that could cover all eatx board dual sockets would be so large that you would be able to see the cutout under normal atx boards.

I'm not asking for a larger cutout. 603/604/771 Xeon HSF mount to the motherboard tray, taking it out of the case and screwing the heatsinks down makes everything easier. I don't see why that would affect the routing of your wires, I've never had any issues in my TJ09 and there are some pretty clean looking TJ07s out there.

There are practically no single processor eatx enthusiast boards, the classified is marketed that way, but it still uses ATX mount points. It's just a little deeper, but definitely doesn't need an EATX compatible case, just an ATX case that's a little deeper. When you list something as EATX, your marketing it to the workstation/dual processor crowd. In doing so, you should expect to get some opinions from that crowd.

I'm not asking for a larger cutout. 603/604/771 Xeon HSF mount to the motherboard tray, taking it out of the case and screwing the heatsinks down makes everything easier. I don't see why that would affect the routing of your wires, I've never had any issues in my TJ09 and there are some pretty clean looking TJ07s out there.

There are practically no single processor eatx enthusiast boards, the classified is marketed that way, but it still uses ATX mount points. It's just a little deeper, but definitely doesn't need an EATX compatible case, just an ATX case that's a little deeper. When you list something as EATX, your marketing it to the workstation/dual processor crowd. In doing so, you should expect to get some opinions from that crowd.

I disagree as I have the 07 and the 09 and none of them come close to this case in terms of wiring... not to mention their tray design was shitty at best.

I'm curious how you view rackmount cases, or true eatx cases, as they do not have removable motherboard trays.

Last edited:
I disagree as I have the 07 and the 09 and none of them come close to this case in terms of wiring.

I'm curious how you view rackmount cases, or true eatx cases, as they do not have removable motherboard trays.

Well, with a rackmount from a vendor, Dell or HP, it's pretty simple to do a processor swap, usually they're pretty modularized and replacing things doesn't take much. But on my Precision, it's a pain in the ass and it would be much easier if it had a removable motherboard tray. Personally, I don't purchase rackmount cases, all of my servers are tier 1 vendor boxes. When it comes to building my personal workstations, one of the things I look for is a removable motherboard tray, it was one of the reasons why I chose to use a TJ09 for my x5355 build.

I'm not sure why you seem to think that having a removable motherboard tray is mutually exclusive with having cable holes in the motherboard. Why would making the tray removable make cable routing more difficult?

I use a CoolerMaster 830 presently............it has a larger than average removable MB tray and is advertised to accomidate EATX..........I have a Classified and am thankful for the extra size of my MB tray.
Honestly I don't think the Classified would fit in some/most midsized Cases......it is larger in the top to bottom dimension, despite being drilled for conventional ATX standoff placements.

This Corsair model will make it look dinky!

Last edited:
I have a Silverstone TJ-09 and I've got to say that it doesn't remotely come close to the Corsair Obsidian 800D in regard to wire management. Despite the fact that the TJ-09 has a removable motherboard tray, I never pulled it out. I didn't bother to use it for mounting my Skulltrail (it wouldn't have worked anyway due to clearance issues with my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme's) or my EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified.

Well, with a rackmount from a vendor, Dell or HP, it's pretty simple to do a processor swap, usually they're pretty modularized and replacing things doesn't take much. But on my Precision, it's a pain in the ass and it would be much easier if it had a removable motherboard tray. Personally, I don't purchase rackmount cases, all of my servers are tier 1 vendor boxes. When it comes to building my personal workstations, one of the things I look for is a removable motherboard tray, it was one of the reasons why I chose to use a TJ09 for my x5355 build.

I'm not sure why you seem to think that having a removable motherboard tray is mutually exclusive with having cable holes in the motherboard. Why would making the tray removable make cable routing more difficult?

Because your entire motherboard platform is movable... if you have wires through the tray, you can't remove the tray, if you have a tray, you have seams and rails to guide... in other words, less space for wires and more wires being exposed.

The one time I realize that I could make use of the motherboard tray was when I realized that I had a bunch of wires zip tied and worked through the back of the tray... so that never happened.

To each his own, but this case was designed for those like me who appreciates nice management, thermal isolation, reduced components and more function in exchange for a motherboard tray.

I have a Silverstone TJ-09 and I've got to say that it doesn't remotely come close to the Corsair Obsidian 800D in regard to wire management. Despite the fact that the TJ-09 has a removable motherboard tray, I never pulled it out. I didn't bother to use it for mounting my Skulltrail (it wouldn't have worked anyway due to clearance issues with my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme's) or my EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified.

Same here. It seems like it's more of a hassle than its worth.

You also weren't using a normal workstation board with the bolt through heatsink mounting. D5400XS uses socket 775 mounting.

Because your entire motherboard platform is movable... if you have wires through the tray, you can't remove the tray, if you have a tray, you have seams and rails to guide... in other words, less space for wires and more wires being exposed.

The one time I realize that I could make use of the motherboard tray was when I realized that I had a bunch of wires zip tied and worked through the back of the tray... so that never happened.

To each his own, but this case was designed for those like me who appreciates nice management, thermal isolation, reduced components and more function in exchange for a motherboard tray.

If I'm swapping out a motherboard, I'm pretty much unplugging everything and removing wiring anyway. Like you said, to each his own, as soon as some other vendors that don't charge an arm and a leg to ship get this case, I'll probably still end up getting one. I'll just use it for an i7 build.

This case is sick.... Makes me want to ditch my Lian Li A20B. I would love to see some high quality FDB fans or even a noctual make although not sure if they make 140mm fans just yet. Fan controller up front or in the case would be nice but this can always be offered by corsair as something that takes up a bay slot and matches perfectly. The easy to remove filter I love. What was the final cost on this thing? I dumped out 400$ for my Lian Li A20B and another 50$ for wheels. I know not a lot of ppl would do that but I considered keeping this case for a very long time but now this Corsair has me thinking!.. Also on the hot swap bays is there a way to mount SSD 2.5" drives? This is starting to become more common although not truly mainstream... yet. Glad to see Corsair listens to the consumer. very cool setup.

This case is sick.... Makes me want to ditch my Lian Li A20B. I would love to see some high quality FDB fans or even a noctual make although not sure if they make 140mm fans just yet. Fan controller up front or in the case would be nice but this can always be offered by corsair as something that takes up a bay slot and matches perfectly. The easy to remove filter I love. What was the final cost on this thing? I dumped out 400$ for my Lian Li A20B and another 50$ for wheels. I know not a lot of ppl would do that but I considered keeping this case for a very long time but now this Corsair has me thinking!.. Also on the hot swap bays is there a way to mount SSD 2.5" drives? This is starting to become more common although not truly mainstream... yet. Glad to see Corsair listens to the consumer. very cool setup.

Right now you can find the case for US$279.99 with free shipping from either Newegg or Amazon.

You can mount SSD drives into the hot swap bays without any adapters. It just mounts in the back corner where the SATA/Power will line up.

Edit: Here we go, I found the picture I was looking for: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=406623&postcount=100

those fans are definitely not 19db, far from that.

I own three of them, as well as yate loons, aerocools, evercools, antecs, scythes, silenx, sunon, logysis, and quite a few other brands of fans in large quantities that I use for frequent builds. I haven't tested their exact db rating, but they push more air per db than any other 120mm fan I have. They are excellent and not expensive.

I can't wait to see what Corsair comes up with for a Mid-Tower case. This one is sexy but way too big for my needs.

Fantastic looking case. I'm tempted to switch from my Armorsuit, and that's saying something. Maybe around the holidays? I think I have an item for the girlfriend to add to the holiday gift list! I wonder if this production version is any different from the ones sent to reviewers (sorry if I missed this detail somewhere in the previous thirteen pages)? Any chance of Redbeard showing up with a coupon for [H] users :D ?

Edit: Reading back to Redbeard's response, I just want to say how awesome it is that a company is so receptive to its target market. Rare these days compared to the 'We'll tell you how you want it' crowd, and it definitely affects how I buy.

Last edited:
Nice looking case, but any one here feels that because of the size that it might have a lot of hot-spots? Most big case seems to hold a lot of heat.

Also it reminds me of Windy design with the air tunnel going behind the motherboard side.

But I feel the Raven 2 & FT02 will keep all of the components cooler. Less hot spots.

Last edited:
Great case indeed! I was wondering if a 240 radiator could fit in the 5.25" drive bays. Anyone care to give some info?

That review sample seems to have the old cpu mount cutout. Mine is much bigger than that.

That review sample seems to have the old cpu mount cutout. Mine is much bigger than that.

Yeah about 10 reviewers go the "preview" units and another 20 or so got the production version this month.

Great, now I've got to start saving money again. I wonder what my wifes going to say when I tell how how much it cost...after I've bought it of course :p

Overall this case looks great, and I am seriously considering this thing for an upcoming i7 build.
Congrats to Corsair for a succesfull first attempt, I am sure this wont be the only chasis they roll out over the next couple of years.

@ Redbeard: Is there any chance of a future revision having an ALL aluminum bezel, and not the aluminum / plastic bezel?

Overall this case looks great, and I am seriously considering this thing for an upcoming i7 build.
Congrats to Corsair for a succesfull first attempt, I am sure this wont be the only chasis they roll out over the next couple of years.

@ Redbeard: Is there any chance of a future revision having an ALL aluminum bezel, and not the aluminum / plastic bezel?

Doubtful. There's no real benefit to it, all it would do is add cost.

I've always been a pragmatist: use the right tool for the right job. I could use a $50 pipe wrench to slam nails into a 2x4, but why wouldn't I use a $5 hammer?

The plastic frame with aluminum front bezel has the awesome looks of aluminum but doesn't have the disadvantages of a full aluminum bezel, which would be:

1) Much higher cost if it were to have the same structural rigidity.
2) Much less rigidity if it were to have near the same cost.
3) Additional complexity due to opening doors and panels.
4) More noise transmission from vibration.

The pre-tooling sample of this case actually had a full machined aluminum bezel. It's probably still around the office somewhere. It looked the same until you removed it, then you realized you were holding about 20 oz of pure machined aluminum that was anodized black. Since it was not stamped or extruded, it was probably a $600 piece alone. But it made the case a bit noisier, you could hear the hard drive seek noises and fan noises a bit easier from that case than the one we got afterwords.

Corsair should have slotted the PSU mounting so that way it gives wiggle room for various sized psu's... they should have also made the hole a bit more accommodating for other brand psu's.

ROFL. corsair does not like even entertaining the idea of using another brand of anything they make. case in point, if u register on their forum, any other brand manufacturer you fill in for your system specs on your signature gets ***** out. thats just ignorant and childish. way to go corsair.....

I can't wait to see what Corsair comes up with for a Mid-Tower case. This one is sexy but way too big for my needs.

This!

Redbeard, can we expect a mid-tower case sometime in the not-so-distant future?

It looks amazing, but just a bit too much case for me.

ROFL. corsair does not like even entertaining the idea of using another brand of anything they make. case in point, if u register on their forum, any other brand manufacturer you fill in for your system specs on your signature gets ***** out. thats just ignorant and childish. way to go corsair.....

I, too, wonder why they restrict other brands being mentioned, although I have never been flagged for comparing the ATCS to this case when it was in pre-production.

Keep in mind, their forums are for tech support more than anything. We can bash and compare here all we want though. :D

This!

Redbeard, can we expect a mid-tower case sometime in the not-so-distant future?

It looks amazing, but just a bit too much case for me.

It'll probably be sometime next year if and when we get to it. I have a couple of different ideas for it right now and we're going to throw a few people in a room to see which idea(s) we think will work best.

Back