Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

Other issue is weight of steel. I would pay $500 no problem for that case in all aluminum, as would many others.

Not MANY others.... just a few others. A lot less than you'd expect. As it is, we'll be lucky to sell a lot of these at $300. Most case sales are <$50. Then there's a huge grouping around $100 and $200, and then like the tail end of popularity hits and you see $300-$500 cases selling like Edsels.

That being said - no, we don't have a big aluminum prototype here - I wish we did! I'd take it to get recycled and take the girlfriend out to dinner!

Not MANY others.... just a few others. A lot less than you'd expect. As it is, we'll be lucky to sell a lot of these at $300. Most case sales are <$50. Then there's a huge grouping around $100 and $200, and then like the tail end of popularity hits and you see $300-$500 cases selling like Edsels.

That being said - no, we don't have a big aluminum prototype here - I wish we did! I'd take it to get recycled and take the girlfriend out to dinner!

Honestly, while I would prefer aluminum like the 840 or the Lian Li models, it's most certainly not a deal breaker. My Lian Li (rocketfish) and 840 are both aluminum, and they are all huge cases. I also used an Antec 900 back in the day. All three cases are so large that regardless of the weight I almost never moved them, and still don't move them around very often.

When I start watercooling, they'll get moved even less. Only to fill and drain & the occasional hard drive swap, which actually still doesn't require any moving of the case because it's easy as pie to swap drives in the CM 840 and this new Corsair case.

Steel looks great, and it's extremely sturdy. Even all aluminum the 840 still weighs about 35 pounds. I'm again with Corsair on this one. If they were able to preserve a clean look and cut a little cost by going with steel, I'm fine with it. It's most certainly stronger than aluminum. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at all.

I never thought aluminum cases were much lighter, built stronger, or looked better.

The outside (anodized black) of LianLi's always looked the best, the interior was kind of meh. I had a Lancool case and it was the same nice outside but a steel interior (which looked worse than the aluminum) but once you paint/powdercoat it black it looks awesome.

Weight wise it isn't a big deal, if you go to a LAN you carry it a few hundred feet to your car, then from the car to the LAN and back... I used to lug my server with 12 + HDD's in it to LAN's too along with a 30" monitor and a bag full of extra equipment / Cat6 cables and switches... it's a PITA, but it's not worth an extra few hundred bucks if it looks the same.

I never thought aluminum cases were much lighter, built stronger, or looked better.

The outside (anodized black) of LianLi's always looked the best, the interior was kind of meh. I had a Lancool case and it was the same nice outside but a steel interior (which looked worse than the aluminum) but once you paint/powdercoat it black it looks awesome.

Weight wise it isn't a big deal, if you go to a LAN you carry it a few hundred feet to your car, then from the car to the LAN and back... I used to lug my server with 12 + HDD's in it to LAN's too along with a 30" monitor and a bag full of extra equipment / Cat6 cables and switches... it's a PITA, but it's not worth an extra few hundred bucks if it looks the same.

I would never build something that substantial to take to lan parties. I'd just game at home, online, or make them come to me. Lol.

Honestly, the sad truth is, we haven't been doing any LANs in my "hood" for quite a while. A lot of the guys have gotten married, and they're always busy with kids and stuff. I know my three year old keeps me pretty busy, so I understand. If we start lanning again, I have enough spare parts I can throw together a little mid tower with a 9600GT or something for the LANs. I'd even get one of those cheesy cases with a handle to make it easier on myself.

Still a lot cheaper to do that than buy a gaming laptop though.

Although it did quickly become apparent there's no easy way to hold this thing once I tried to pull it out of the box a couple months ago.
I didn't want to ruin the clean lines with handles. Not on this case at least. This isn't going to be a LAN Party case, really.
With big cases it's really easier if instead of pulling case out from box you first turn box over and then lift only box and let gravity keep case in place...
After that easiness of carrying is really down to depth.
67cm high old Chieftec Dragon was rather easy to carry because you can wrap other hand around it for keeping it upwards (while other carries it from bottom) but E-ATX cases are too big for that. So now I've added one (door) handle for supporting case from top with other hand to two last cases... same coloured handle doesn't make look that much worser or prevent piling stuff on top of case if carefully positioned but makes carrying lot more secure without opening side panel for grabbing from some inside structure.

But yeah... probably it's better to leave that at most to level of offering handle fitting to case's colour/style as accessory for modders.

My lian li pc-g70 is 18lbs case...

May be too heavy for my use, or maybe not, will have to see how heavy it is and then will try adding that weight on top of my computer and see how it is to carry from mod room to computer room.
That size steel case made from at least 1mm steel is about double (and some more) the weight of that Lian Li.
(Alu's density is ~30% of steel)

Even all aluminum the 840 still weighs about 35 pounds.
That's down to it being practically overengineered in strength for computer case and having probably over double volume of material compared to steel cases.
Sure that makes frame strong also when case is "disassembled" but achieving that requires lot of extra weight.

Anyways, the case was supposed to be mine, but I let alcuin take it since he lives there in Texas.... as the TSA already had given me plenty of problems with my existing hardware (I have 5 bag search slips to prove it),
I think having two camera tripods in bag is also good lure for them... but at least those don't contain fragile electronics.
Then again why did they pick me up for inspecting baggage two years ago in Sweden while going to Dreamhack... (at least in French Guiana they were satisfied just to checking passport at every door before getting to plane)

That size steel case made from at least 1mm steel is about double (and some more) the weight of that Lian Li.
(Alu's density is ~30% of steel)

I was thinking if my lian li case was 18lbs, the corsair would be about 50+lbs since steel is about 3x weight of aluminum given same volume (and steel midtower P183 antec case weighs 31lbs), but the 1mm is valid point, steel does not have to be as thick as aluminum. Another 15-20lbs might be ok, but another 30+ lbs will make the size and weight (100+lbs) difficult to carry up/down stairs from mod area to computer area. That is same reason I never bought MM ascension case...but I realize portability doesnt bother everyone, certainly lots of people buy large MM cases which when filled approach 100lbs plus their huge size make them nearly impossible to grasp to carry when filled, towers you can at least always grasp. But have to wait and see what weight is.

I was thinking if my lian li case was 18lbs, the corsair would be about 50+lbs since steel is about 3x weight of aluminum given same volume (and steel midtower P183 antec case weighs 31lbs), but the 1mm is valid point, steel does not have to be as thick as aluminum. Another 15-20lbs might be ok, but another 30+ lbs will make the size and weight (100+lbs) difficult to carry up/down stairs from mod area to computer area. That is same reason I never bought MM ascension case...but I realize portability doesnt bother everyone, certainly lots of people buy large MM cases which when filled approach 100lbs plus their huge size make them nearly impossible to grasp to carry when filled, towers you can at least always grasp. But have to wait and see what weight is.

You seem really tied up on the weight and aluminum issue. What you fail to understand is the ruggedness of steel, once you see this case in person you would understand. If feels like it has the strength to be able to stand on it, which I would never dare with your lian-li case.

Don't get me wrong, while weight is great, having thin aluminum siding and framing is worse for transportation than having a solid steel frame. Yes it makes it harder to carry, no, it does not stop people from bringing these to lans. You bring up a valid point about the MM Acension, however, everyone I've seen who bought those cases are taking them to lans (take QuakeCon for instance).

I think that this is the perfect balance IMO because it gives you steel where you need it.

Also, not many will pay $500 for these cases, I certainly would not unless if meets several requirements. For a $500+ case to validate to me, it would have to be super rare, and I mean super rare (think Windy Soldam in the US). This case will not be that rare, but it will also not be $500 or over $300 for that matter.

For the record, I've owned a ton of Lian-Li cases and I actually have a new one of theirs on the way, they are great cases, but none of them can hold a candle to this case so far. Actually to point out, Lian-Li is following by now making steel interior cases also and branding them under their LANCOOL brand.

Eventually, yes.

While I haven't seen one in person, the Obsidian 800D looks like a winner so far based on the images and initial experiences posted in various forum threads. Most likely this will be my next case.

You seem really tied up on the weight and aluminum issue. What you fail to understand is the ruggedness of steel, once you see this case in person you would understand. If feels like it has the strength to be able to stand on it, which I would never dare with your lian-li case.

Don't get me wrong, while weight is great, having thin aluminum siding and framing is worse for transportation than having a solid steel frame. Yes it makes it harder to carry, no, it does not stop people from bringing these to lans. You bring up a valid point about the MM Acension, however, everyone I've seen who bought those cases are taking them to lans (take QuakeCon for instance).

I think that this is the perfect balance IMO because it gives you steel where you need it.

Also, not many will pay $500 for these cases, I certainly would not unless if meets several requirements. For a $500+ case to validate to me, it would have to be super rare, and I mean super rare (think Windy Soldam in the US). This case will not be that rare, but it will also not be $500 or over $300 for that matter.

For the record, I've owned a ton of Lian-Li cases and I actually have a new one of theirs on the way, they are great cases, but none of them can hold a candle to this case so far. Actually to point out, Lian-Li is following by now making steel interior cases also and branding them under their LANCOOL brand.

Dont mean to come across as hung up on weight, but I dont have the case to look at, pick up, etc and since this is the only case that I am interested in buying after a year of searching, was voicing my only concern to try to get some perspective on it from those that did get to examine it, so I do appreciate the input.

My steel P180 case was my first WC build on smaller scale and i loved it. Steel did a much better job of silencing vibration and noise of 2 pumps and fans (now 17 fans) despite un designs on pumps and gaskets on fans. I was a little disappointed in my lian li b/c of increased noise over steel P180, especially when that vibration rattle gets going, so I agree with steel having some pluses.

I tried carrying a 25 lb weight on my computer down stairs with towel on it...not that bad. It is just that weight was the only unknown issue for me, hence my focus on that, but probably not going to stop me from buying it. It is even possible I will prefer the silence/sturdy steel over lighter alum, or not who knows.

Also that was good info on the cost/target group issues by Redbeard, kind of puts in perspective why I have been waiting for a year to see a case like this, and why enthusiasts dont see that many opportunities for cases like this.

Again, I do appreciate the input from someone that has had a chance to examine it.

I've read a lot of reviews on the 800D, and see that many authors of these reviews are finding it "mediocre" or "not stylish" enough. I personally enjoy the look of the 800D, and would happily purchase this case. I think two important facts must be remembered when people choose to review this case. 1.) This is the first case ever produced by Corsair and they've done an amazing job thus far. 2.) This is Redbeard's "baby" and the one thing that overly impressed me was how he and Corsair listened to their customers and developed a product around community driven ideas and suggestions.

I can't wait to see the future lineup from Corsair and welcome added competition to the case market.

Looks like they reviewed a pre-release model. The CPU back panel door is the smaller sort they claimed they retooled to the larger size indicated at Legit Reviews http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1036/4/

Yeah, the version that Ockie and Alcuin posted pics of earlier is the production version.

Hexus gave us a pretty good review, but Tarinder (the reviewer) admits he isn't a fan of expensive or large cases, so it's kind of like having my sister review a Ferrari.

Not that Tarinder looks at all like my sister - he's quite a bit taller.

Yeah, the version that Ockie and Alcuin posted pics of earlier is the production version.

Hexus gave us a pretty good review, but Tarinder (the reviewer) admits he isn't a fan of expensive or large cases, so it's kind of like having my sister review a Ferrari.

Hmm. Ockie and I also review sisters... got a pic? ;) jk.

I've read a lot of reviews on the 800D, and see that many authors of these reviews are finding it "mediocre" or "not stylish" enough. I personally enjoy the look of the 800D, and would happily purchase this case. I think two important facts must be remembered when people choose to review this case. 1.) This is the first case ever produced by Corsair and they've done an amazing job thus far. 2.) This is Redbeard's "baby" and the one thing that overly impressed me was how he and Corsair listened to their customers and developed a product around community driven ideas and suggestions.

I can't wait to see the future lineup from Corsair and welcome added competition to the case market.

Yeah - I'm a freak. I'll bet a few of you are here too. I frickin' research household appliances for months before choosing them. No matter how good it looks, I have to figure out how it would work when I used it, how useful the buttons are without being annoying or tedious, how I need to make sure it's wife-friendly ;) - so much stuff, I think I qualify as OCD.

My computer case and parts - even more so. It had to rival my Antec P180 in specific ways. And after - seriously - a year of looking, the Corsair Obsidian is the only one that meets my cripplingly anal crieria! Specifically, it had to:

1. Needed Power Supply up top with room above (Canyon 695) or below in its own cooling chamber unable to let heat rise up to the rest of the case
  2. Needed a top vent for either air or water cooling solutions
  3. A case made with attention to both water-cooling and air so I didn't have to choose one and never have the option to move to the other
  4. Needed to help me route and hide cables (the Obsidian rocks on this point)
  5. Non-Tinker Toy, Transformer-looking case that would go out of style next year
  6. No included lights, colors, or extra crap that I would need to remove before customizing it the way I want it
  7. A case I don't have to modify or un-do the manufacturer's design to get good airflow and cooling
  8. 120mm/140mm fans throughout (80/90mm fans are so 2004)
  9. Black inside and out (or an easy way to make it all black)
  10. Included air filters designed specifically for the case; not require me to build, cut, add them myself later
  11. Clean, crisp and professional-looking; not dated, curved, or fan-boyish

I only have a few minor niggles with this case - and that only from the reviews. But this has got everything I want (and again, I'm a freak).

If you're curious - and Redbeard, you care to comment - my niggles are:

1. Shape and coverage of the window. I love the window. But it seems to slope down either too far (so I see a power supply I don't need to see) or too little (there's still a 1/2 inch spot where it makes the PSU look somewhat hidden instead of fully in-view). I'll probably mask off the PSU cooling region myself once I get it...
  2. Inability to move the top bay with the power switch and front-panel connectors to another bay. I'd prefer either the option to move it down to another slot or collapse the power button deeper into the bay (like the panel connectors), so I can hide it
  3. The option to have a front panel that closes. The 1/2 inch spacing the Antec P180 does for this - while still providing airflow - allows me some flexibility on my front panel accessories without having them stuck 'out there'. Like most cases, the Obsidian puts everything out there, which forces me to be more discerning for asthetics instead of knowing I can hide a busty fan controller
  4. No optional cowel to cover the 3x 120mm fan/radiator area. To keep the black exterior look, I need to use black rubber 'screws' to hold the fans - and they need to be pretty enough to be seen on the top but shallow enough to be flush. A cowel to cover these holes would be nice.

Last edited:
Dont mean to come across as hung up on weight, but I dont have the case to look at, pick up, etc and since this is the only case that I am interested in buying after a year of searching, was voicing my only concern to try to get some perspective on it from those that did get to examine it, so I do appreciate the input.

My steel P180 case was my first WC build on smaller scale and i loved it. Steel did a much better job of silencing vibration and noise of 2 pumps and fans (now 17 fans) despite un designs on pumps and gaskets on fans. I was a little disappointed in my lian li b/c of increased noise over steel P180, especially when that vibration rattle gets going, so I agree with steel having some pluses.

I tried carrying a 25 lb weight on my computer down stairs with towel on it...not that bad. It is just that weight was the only unknown issue for me, hence my focus on that, but probably not going to stop me from buying it. It is even possible I will prefer the silence/sturdy steel over lighter alum, or not who knows.

Also that was good info on the cost/target group issues by Redbeard, kind of puts in perspective why I have been waiting for a year to see a case like this, and why enthusiasts dont see that many opportunities for cases like this.

Again, I do appreciate the input from someone that has had a chance to examine it.

I can agree with you there. This is also the reason why I prefer steel framed cases. Oh and if you have dropped one, the steel does a much better job (not that I have dropped both... *whistles*)

I see all of these reviews be a matter of personal preference. I can also see in the review of the authors distaste for high end cases and features that you cant put a dollar on such as the hot swap functionality, coated interior, isolation chambers, etc. I also find these reviewers "thermal" and noise tests to be ...how can I put it.... subjective..

Exactly. You can't have an environmentalist review a Hummer nor can you have an Frugal reviewer who has no need for hot swaps, large cases, and fine designed cases. This is what I absolutely hate about reviews, it's almost always personal, rather than the objective... this is why I prefer more pictures, less talking :)

Hmm. Ockie and I also review sisters... got a pic? ;) jk.

I'm game, I'll even return after reviewing :p

Just bought a 42" plasma... the only other things on my "to buy" list are a Zune HD... and this case... :D

And the new video-cards whenever they come out... if they're good enough ;)

1. Shape and coverage of the window. I love the window. But it seems to slope down either too far (so I see a power supply I don't need to see) or too little (there's still a 1/2 inch spot where it makes the PSU look somewhat hidden instead of fully in-view). I'll probably mask off the PSU cooling region myself once I get it...
  2. Inability to move the top bay with the power switch and front-panel connectors to another bay. I'd prefer either the option to move it down to another slot or collapse the power button deeper into the bay (like the panel connectors), so I can hide it
  3. The option to have a front panel that closes. The 1/2 inch spacing the Antec P180 does for this - while still providing airflow - allows me some flexibility on my front panel accessories without having them stuck 'out there'. Like most cases, the Obsidian puts everything out there, which forces me to be more discerning for asthetics instead of knowing I can hide a busty fan controller
  4. No optional cowel to cover the 3x 120mm fan/radiator area. To keep the black exterior look, I need to use black rubber 'screws' to hold the fans - and they need to be pretty enough to be seen on the top but shallow enough to be flush. A cowel to cover these holes would be nice.

I'm going to comment because there are some things I can agree on

1. I think the window was designed after the corsair logo's "sail", I am not sure. The window will not be for everyone, but I am sure corsair will offer non-window and perhaps different designed window panels. I don't mind the current window and design, but I can see how it does not appeal to some.

2. I have wondered about this too, perhaps even allow modders to relocate the power button so you can fit more junk up front. I must admit the first thing I did after unpacking the case was opening the bay unit, I at first was hoping that the usb ports and junk will be removable so you can stuff a 3.5" in there.

3. The door concept will not appeal to everyone. Personally, I'll swing both ways, but often if I find myself fighting with the stupid door or having it swing open on me during transport. A good insulated door for sound might make wonders, I'd assume this is a simple faceplate change similar to the TJ09 AND TJ10. They may also sell stealth door covers for optical drives that flows with the case, which would be nice.

4. What do you mean by cowl? You should be able to clean it up good up there, but perhaps corsair should include fan straps or some sort of isolator screw with a nice clean top that would go clean with the top of the case.

I'm going to comment because there are some things I can agree on

4. What do you mean by cowl? You should be able to clean it up good up there, but perhaps corsair should include fan straps or some sort of isolator screw with a nice clean top that would go clean with the top of the case.

I spelled it wrong - meant to say 'grill'. But this link shows the lots of pictures of the top grill and the door:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/224/2/

BTW - you're one lucky sucker for having the case already. Waiting for NewEgg to ship mine on or around the second week of September.

I've read a lot of reviews on the 800D, and see that many authors of these reviews are finding it ... "not stylish" enough.
Meaning they would prefer "Chinese magpie's nest" with cheesegrater look, lot of plastics, overbright colours and more lights than in christmas tree.
Those reviewers who downgrade ratings only because of something being not flashy enough shouldn't be doing reviews.

3. The door concept will not appeal to everyone. Personally, I'll swing both ways, but often if I find myself fighting with the stupid door or having it swing open on me during transport. A good insulated door for sound might make wonders, I'd assume this is a simple faceplate change similar to the TJ09 AND TJ10. They may also sell stealth door covers for optical drives that flows with the case, which would be nice.
Solid door makes very notable difference especially to intake fan noise... and even this flimsy thin plastic door takes worst peak out of over eager optical drive.
And door equipped version should be definitely doable... Lian Li has huge selection of cases with both open and door equipped version and case behind front panel is entirely same in them.

If feels like it has the strength to be able to stand on it, which I would never dare with your lian-li case.
Well... someone did that to quite similar model and case survided.
Due to the enormous height of the case, the standing test flaunted any health and safety rules but the PC-A71 achieved 3 out of 3
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/lian-li-pc-a71/3
while weight is great, having thin aluminum siding and framing...
Don't mix thickness to weight. Steel's high weight and higher strength per volume makes it seem thicker than it is.
A70/71's side panels are 1.1mm thick and frame 1.5mm thick... with top panel actually being thinnest part at 1mm, probably because it's just that top panel and not part of frame structure.
Again standard steel cases are actually commonly about 0.8mm (frame material of even Antec P18x) with 1mm used in better cases and I don't know any steel case which would use thicker material than that because of anything more meaning weight skyrocketing while added strength isn't needed... unless you want your computer to be bomb proof.
Adequate strength is really about lot more than plain construction material.
Actually to point out, Lian-Li is following by now making steel interior cases also and branding them under their LANCOOL brand.
That's because like Redbeard explained, aluminum being more expensive than steel. All aluminum would make it extremely hard to keep price competive in gamer case market which is obvious target of Lancools.

My steel P180 case was my first WC build on smaller scale and i loved it. Steel did a much better job of silencing vibration...
Antec P-series thick and heavy multilayer panels are especially made to resist vibration without mass damping required by normal (single) sheet metal panels... and those side panels are actually alu-plastic-alu sandwhiches so again there's lot more than just plain material. (also P180 has soft HDD mounting vs. hard mounting in PC-G70)

I spelled it wrong - meant to say 'grill'. But this link shows the lots of pictures of the top grill and the door:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/224/2/

BTW - you're one lucky sucker for having the case already. Waiting for NewEgg to ship mine on or around the second week of September.

Oh no way in hell. I could not stand that garbage thing on top of the P180, that's the reason I never bought one when it came out. Most people I've seen yank them off because they are really crappy.

Don't mix thickness to weight. Steel's high weight and higher strength per volume makes it seem thicker than it is.

You don't need to show me the benefits and specifications of metals, I'm quite well rehearsed. However, once you have owned a case with sides so thin that you can push a pencil through, you would know what I'm talking about. Also, this thinness what I'm talking about also prevents you from case stacking or stacking anything on top and reduces its overall portability and ruggedness.

That's because like Redbeard explained, aluminum being more expensive than steel. All aluminum would make it extremely hard to keep price competive in gamer case market which is obvious target of Lancools.

Silverstone are doing this also, this is a trend that continues to grow, it not only keeps the costs down, but provides for a more rugged case.

Snip............

I agree with most of what you've said in your post. On the last points I disagree.

I don't like the window but I can see what you are talking about. Personally I'd prefer the case to have solid side panels.

As for moving the power button and front panels, that might be nice. The only case to really do this well was the Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 and Stacker 810. The idea is kind of nice but it isn't important to me at least.

Screw doors. I can't stand that crap. Just something to rattle and get in my way when I need to access something. Additionally having to tape the thing shut or remove it to transport the PC somewhere just annoys me.

The lack of a cowl is a good thing. That would go against your non-Tinker toy, hideous Transformer case looking asthetics anyway. If you don't like the look of the triple fan grills or screws well I don't know what to tell you. This is one of those function over form type of considerations. They need to be there and some piece of bullshit up there would just ruin the look of the case as well as restricting air flow.

Oh no way in hell. I could not stand that garbage thing on top of the P180, that's the reason I never bought one when it came out. Most people I've seen yank them off because they are really crappy.

Fair 'nuff. But I'll bet you don't have little kids in your house that love sticking straws, pencils and anything else they find into fan grills :)

Fair 'nuff. But I'll bet you don't have little kids in your house that love sticking straws, pencils and anything else they find into fan grills :)

Beat your kids and they will learn to stop doing things like that.

Beat your kids and they will learn to stop doing things like that.

BAhaha

The one-two shut-the-hell-up. This is priceless when you're shopping and your kid won't shut the hell up: "I'm hungry, I want toys, I need my Insulin..." etc. First smack your kid (the 5 across the eyes technique works). Wait a few seconds for your kid to start crying, then smack your kid again to let him know that you mean business. This usually shuts them up because they see that the amount of crying is proportional to the amount of beatings.

Nice !

No sir, if I did they would be missing fingers as I would have broken them off already ;)

I agree with most of what you've said in your post. On the last points I disagree.
    I don't like the window but I can see what you are talking about. Personally I'd prefer the case to have solid side panels.
Well, there might be some idea in window reaching all the way to PSU's specification sticker... If someone wants to show insides of case then why not to show also PSU's specs?
But yeah, function over form and utilitarian is beautiful. For me computer case is just that, enclosure for components, and not something I'll be fancying all the time.

I hit a little snag; the power connector on the Zalman 1kw psu is too close to the edge, and I am unable to screw it in properly. I had to leave it slightly unscrewed. The PC P&C psu supposedly has this same issue too. Redbeard tells me it will be fixed in the next revision; in the meantime, all Corsair PSU's should fit. I've ordered a Corsair HX1000w on the way now, so it shouldn't be an issue for me for long.
imag0037ojfvxy.jpg

imag0038e.jpg

Please, please tell me those ugly silver headed screws are temporary.

Good thing the 1000HX comes with black thumb screws!! :D

I am also the Applications guy for PSUs, so my job is to give input on what comes bundled in the kit. The PM is responsible for the fancy bag that comes on some of the PSUs, and the bag that the cables come in (it was a brilliant idea, that one, he gets full credit), but the black thumbscrews and black screws were one of my "demands."

I had a lot more control on the case, and now that you guys have seen the case and power supplies that I had a hand in designing, can you guess my favorite color?

Heh.

@ Redbeard: Keep up the good work with the bundled accessories. The addition of the 90° SATA cables is something that seems tiny as a value add, but they are very valuable to many of us that would buy something like this in the first place.

I've gone through two corsair PS's so far for builds and I still have lots of extra cables in those handy bags, never a bad thing to have too many :)

Please, please tell me those ugly silver headed screws are temporary.

They are. I forgot where I put that bag of black screws; so I used the screws that came with the psu. The screws aren't hex-headed like regular drive screws, so I forgot I could use those. IDK about thumbscrews, didn't notice if there were any spares for the psu. I'll check the box again when I get home.

Back