Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

I am also the Applications guy for PSUs, so my job is to give input on what comes bundled in the kit. The PM is responsible for the fancy bag that comes on some of the PSUs, and the bag that the cables come in (it was a brilliant idea, that one, he gets full credit), but the black thumbscrews and black screws were one of my "demands."

I had a lot more control on the case, and now that you guys have seen the case and power supplies that I had a hand in designing, can you guess my favorite color?

Heh.

Well Henry Ford had the right opinion on colors. In any case you sound *almost* as anal as me when it comes to cases.

Oooh, there's an idea for your next design, Redbeard. Make the top fan grill in the shape of a batman logo, so when a cathode is shined from the inside, it projects a batsignal on the ceiling. :D

Oooh, there's an idea for your next design, Redbeard. Make the top fan grill in the shape of a batman logo, so when a cathode is shined from the inside, it projects a batsignal on the ceiling. :D

Ugh, lack of taste knows no bounds. I'm as much of a Batman fan as anyone but that idea holds ZERO appeal for me.

How about little bat shurikens that shoot out when you press the false power button? I bet that would teach the kids pretty fast.

@ Redbeard: Keep up the good work with the bundled accessories. The addition of the 90° SATA cables is something that seems tiny as a value add, but they are very valuable to many of us that would buy something like this in the first place.

I've gone through two corsair PS's so far for builds and I still have lots of extra cables in those handy bags, never a bad thing to have too many :)

+1

Not only glad you're in the forums and actively participating here - but your consideration of the customer needs is spot-on. Keep up the great work!

I spend thousands to build a new rig every 3 years and research the heck out of each component for months beforehand. And I've been religiously attached to specific products for years. Due to Corsair's excellent (and expanding) offerings, their activity in forums and great customer support, I've chosen more components from a single vendor than ever before in my life. Some might even call me a Corsair fanboy.

Not sure I am, but we'll see how this 'heavily Corsair' machine does me for the next few months...

Ockie, I may have missed it in the other pages, but were you going to transplant or do a whole new build with the 800D? Also more pics. :)

HEXUS review says you need to remove large PSU fan's grill? Does this issue affect only the first revision or is it a problem in the final model too?

HEXUS review says you need to remove large PSU fan's grill? Does this issue affect only the first revision or is it a problem in the final model too?

It's an issue with PSUs that raise the PSU fan grill out of the 86mm max PSU height limit.

If your PSUs fan is sunken into the PSU chassis (as per the spec, and like every Corsair PSU is) then it shouldn't be a problem.

For now, the only units I know that exhibit this issue are a few PSUs built by FSP, like the one used in the review.

It's an issue with PSUs that raise the PSU fan grill out of the 86mm max PSU height limit.

If your PSUs fan is sunken into the PSU chassis (as per the spec, and like every Corsair PSU is) then it shouldn't be a problem.

For now, the only units I know that exhibit this issue are a few PSUs built by FSP, like the one used in the review.

My PSU is Enermax Revolution85+, and it looks like tiny part of the fan grill is higher than the rest of the PSU (the screws holding the fan and grill in place). Does that mean it doesn't work out well? :(

My PSU is Enermax Revolution85+, and it looks like tiny part of the fan grill is higher than the rest of the PSU (the screws holding the fan and grill in place). Does that mean it doesn't work out well? :(

I don't think it'll be a problem, but I haven't tested it yet.

Hey Redbeard,
What's your take on the 90 degree motherboard mounting system like that on the Silverstone Ravens? Would Corsair ever consider doing something like that?

Hey Redbeard,
What's your take on the 90 degree motherboard mounting system like that on the Silverstone Ravens? Would Corsair ever consider doing something like that?
I personally think it's novel, and Silverstone could be praised for trying something new, but ultimately I don't think it's a great design. The air cooling design depends a lot on the air intake, which is wholly dependent on fans and vents on the bottom of the case. At the least, it's not a very high performance solution; at the most, it could be very crippling to multi-sli users.

Hey Redbeard,

I think it's pretty neat, actually, but there are a lot of trade-offs. I think having the cables come out of the top of the case is kind of a pain in the ass for those standard 6' cables that come with a lot of mice and keyboards. It ends up taking away 12"-18" of usable cord length, and on my desk at home it's already stretched. Yeah, I could use a USB extension cable but I'd rather not.

I think the cooling is neat, probably great for GPUs and CPUs, and I think it might even be a better solution for shipping, provided that the shipper can keep the right side up.

I don't think it's perfect, but I think it's pretty neat. The guys at Silverstone have always had their heads on straight in a lot of ways, and until I get my 800D I'm still using the TJ09 at home.

That being said - I don't personally care much for the aesthetics of the Raven or Raven 2. From the exterior, the FT01 and FT02 are much more my style.

Just pre-ordered mine from newegg, $263 after cashback... which is good enough for me...

Says the ship date is 9/10, was hoping sooner then that cause I start school and won't have as much time to be modifying cases, but oh well :D

Just pre-ordered mine from newegg, $263 after cashback... which is good enough for me...

Says the ship date is 9/10, was hoping sooner then that cause I start school and won't have as much time to be modifying cases, but oh well :D

School ? What's that for again ?!?! :confused: Well I'm sure it will be worth the wait and just in time to show all your friends :p

Heh, well I'll be going to college for 4 years, and the program sucks up most of your time, most kids can't even hold a part-time job here.

But I've wanted this case since I first saw it... It'll be here eventually...

Heh, well I'll be going to college for 4 years, and the program sucks up most of your time, most kids can't even hold a part-time job here.

But I've wanted this case since I first saw it... It'll be here eventually...

Good for you. It's worth it. I just barely graduated, and my new job starts monday - and pays $7/hour more than I'm making now, plus benefits. If it works out I may be getting one of these for Christmas this year! :D

The guys at Silverstone have always had their heads on straight in a lot of ways, and until I get my 800D I'm still using the TJ09 at home.
I had TJ10 but the HDD mountings caused resonance issues, exposed design of HDD cages also made sure sounds from HDDs were like without the sidepanel at all. Top mesh also started to resonade, intake fan was very hard to change (took me 3 hours before even figuring out the thing, without magnetic screw driver). And cable management was simply non-existent. Sidepanel doors also buckled really easily due to being aluminium.

800D:
HDDs behind a door and in hotswap cage 'check'
best cable management there is 'check'
no loose meshes 'check'
no overly complicated fan cages 'check'
steel 'check'

Sounds like you guys at Corsair read my mind. :)

I don't think it's perfect, but I think it's pretty neat. The guys at Silverstone have always had their heads on straight in a lot of ways, and until I get my 800D I'm still using the TJ09 at home.

That being said - I don't personally care much for the aesthetics of the Raven or Raven 2. From the exterior, the FT01 and FT02 are much more my style.

Agreed. I'm still using the TJ-09 right now myself. It's served me well for my last two builds. My Skulltrail will probably go back into it when I get the Obsidian 800D. As for the Raven and Raven 2, I couldn't agree more. They are hideous cases.

nice! My hx1000w comes in on wednesday, I'll post updated pics when it arrives. It just doesn't feel ready without a 100% compatible psu; the molex thing is driving me nuts, lol.

Hows the noise on this thing?
Im thinking about getting one to replace my Antec 900 for my main rig.

It's not bad; its comparable to my HAF932, slightly better. More air vents allow more noise to come through. The Corsair doesn't have the side vents like the HAF, and it's top vents aren't as big as the HAF. But the top vents are still really big, so if you place it right under you, you may notice some hum or fan noise. But if the vents aren't directly under you, then you shouldn't have an issue.

I am wondering the same, especially HDD noise since server hotswap cages are not exactly built silence in mind.
If you mean the built in cages, the mini-door helps. My aftermarket cages get no such help, but fortunately they use 80mm fans which I swapped out and modded to 7v, so they run fairly quiet. Also, the built in cages use a 140mm fan for cooling, not dinky 80mm or less like other hotswaps.

If you mean the built in cages, the mini-door helps. My aftermarket cages get no such help, but fortunately they use 80mm fans which I swapped out and modded to 7v, so they run fairly quiet. Also, the built in cages use a 140mm fan for cooling, not dinky 80mm or less like other hotswaps.

Thats cool. I'll swap the fan to 12cm Noctua tho. I want to have only one type of fans. 8x Noctua NF-P12 in this case. :D

Thats cool. I'll swap the fan to 12cm Noctua tho. I want to have only one type of fans. 8x Noctua NF-P12 in this case. :D

My next build will be all noctuas, the reviews are just great on them.

I haven't been able to find a good local source of noctua's; i've tried silenx but they were ridiculously horrible; low airflow and not quiet. I really like enermax enlobals that I was able to find locally and cheap, so i stock up on them whenever they go on sale. I'd be happy if I could find some good quiet 60mm's for some small cases of mine though.

I have gone to all Noctua's in my build and I cant hear them even running at full rpm's (and I have a total of 6 of them and then 3 140mm fans that come with the ATCS 840)

I'm going with scythe S-flexes this time around, a local shop of mine had them for $13 ea without shipping and I had some rebate cards to get rid of ... so my 800D will be loaded with these. (got 3 spare for the radiator if I ever put one on)

Not MANY others.... just a few others. A lot less than you'd expect. As it is, we'll be lucky to sell a lot of these at $300. Most case sales are <$50. Then there's a huge grouping around $100 and $200, and then like the tail end of popularity hits and you see $300-$500 cases selling like Edsels.

That being said - no, we don't have a big aluminum prototype here - I wish we did! I'd take it to get recycled and take the girlfriend out to dinner!

Damn, man.........that is one big-ass case.:eek:
I would spend the extra dough if it was aluminum..........and I'd make the window bigger, with a couple of fans in the window itself.

One question........this is so tall, I would think some PSU 24 pin cable may have a hard time reaching the board.......what is the distance from the bottom to the 24 pin connector location on the Gigabyte board pictured?????

I am wondering the same, especially HDD noise since server hotswap cages are not exactly built silence in mind.
Probably depends how smooth seeks of drives are.
Hotswap cages are have hard contacts so they're basically similar to hard mounting and while Obsidian is heavy I once had heavy steel case with bitumen mats in bigger surfaces (up to 4mm on side panels) and it was still possible to feel vibration from seeks in side panels and HDD cages vibrating along drives made sure seeks sounded loud.
(only famously quiet Barracuda ATA IV stayed quiet in that case/mounting)

That's because most people aren't listening or think rifle as quiet if it can't be heard in artillery firing range.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article846-page5.html
Our reference Nexus fan performed very similarly to the NF-P12, off by no more than a degree or two at similar noise levels. Acoustically however, in our opinion, the Nexus is superior, sounding far more innocuous than the NF-P12, despite what the SPL registered.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article850-page5.html

That's because most people aren't listening or think rifle as quiet if it can't be heard in artillery firing range.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article846-page5.html
Our reference Nexus fan performed very similarly to the NF-P12, off by no more than a degree or two at similar noise levels. Acoustically however, in our opinion, the Nexus is superior, sounding far more innocuous than the NF-P12, despite what the SPL registered.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article850-page5.html

While true this article is about the Noctua heatsink. The sound a fan makes as it is pushing air through a heatsink will be different than that sound it makes as a case fan IMO. As someone with all Noctua's in my case I can say they are super quiet even at full RPM (and with 2 installed on the heatsink). I will say for the sake of honestly that I do have them all connected to a fan controller which can auto adjust them if needed, however I have it set to full rpm's in manual mode currently.

Damn, man.........that is one big-ass case.:eek:
I would spend the extra dough if it was aluminum..........and I'd make the window bigger, with a couple of fans in the window itself.

One question........this is so tall, I would think some PSU 24 pin cable may have a hard time reaching the board.......what is the distance from the bottom to the 24 pin connector location on the Gigabyte board pictured?????
I'll measure it when I get home. Typically though, the 24pin connector is located somewhere on the middle of most motherboards, and high-end performance psu's have extra long 24-pin cables, so that's not really a big issue. What is a big issue is that most motherboards have their 4-pin or 8-pin P4 connector either on top of their board or in the middle but back by the I/O shield. Fortunately the case comes with a combo P4 4pin/8pin extender that gives you about another oh, 6 inches or so. You can see it dangling out the back top in one of my earlier pics.

Back