Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

Price check: i'll be getting this case for my next build, in about 6 months, and it's on sale right now for $229 w/ free ground shipping & no tax. I have a feeling the price is [H]ot and whether I should pull the trigger depending on how frequent this baby goes on sale.

I'm having the same problem and testing it myself. It's whatever is plugged into the #1 bay for me - and only sometimes. Bays #0 and #1 are one RAID0. Bays #2 and #3 are another. Only the bay #1 slot seems flaky. And it's not the motherboard. I replaced it with the same model for another issue and the problem persists.

I've purchased 4x locking standard to right-angle SATA cables to test and will hook them up this weekend. I suspect either the Corsair backplane or the SATA connection at the motherboard (not the motherboard connector itself, but the connection between the cable and the on-board SATA connector).

Over time, it seems like the #0 and #1 SATA cables slowly move slightly enough to possibly cause the connection to be less-than-perfect (see red circle in pic). When it happens, I have to finger behind my video cards and push the cable into parallel alignment and most of the time, the problem disappears. If the replacement locking cables don't fix this, I'm going to focus on the Corsair backplane by plugging the drives directly into the cable to circumvent the backplane.

I don't know what is causing it but I occasionally have issues with the SATA connections as well. I suspect that it may be the vibrations from my pumps making it comes loose, but every few months my OS won't boot up. I pull the side of the case and make sure all the SATA connections are snug. Then everything boots up fine.

I have the locking type SATA cables as well, but I have still had to do this 2-3 times since I have owned the 800D.

I don't know what is causing it but I occasionally have issues with the SATA connections as well. I suspect that it may be the vibrations from my pumps making it comes loose, but every few months my OS won't boot up. I pull the side of the case and make sure all the SATA connections are snug. Then everything boots up fine.

I have the locking type SATA cables as well, but I have still had to do this 2-3 times since I have owned the 800D.

It might be the power connector coming loose. Some of the earlier cases had a slightly mis-aligned power connector so you have to bend the wires a bit so they don't push the connector off the pins. You can also call us up and get a replacement power cable for the hot swap bays if you want.

Price check: i'll be getting this case for my next build, in about 6 months, and it's on sale right now for $229 w/ free ground shipping & no tax. I have a feeling the price is [H]ot and whether I should pull the trigger depending on how frequent this baby goes on sale.
Grab it. I'm thinking about grabbing one at that price and I don't have anything to do with it. It's one HELL of a case.

I just bought mine from the TigerDirect hot deals section for $229. Then I got $27.60 in Bing CB. So I paid $202.39 shipped for the 800D. There no better price than that, not even second hand on these or other forums. Hot Deal.

Ditto. Might as well take advantage of Bing cash back while it's still around. $202.39 with free shipping is a smoking hot deal as this sucker normally runs closer to $300 after shipping.

Cases also don't typically fluctuate in price or drop in price as much as other tech hardware does. I'm going to build a new rig this winter - grabbed it at this price now as I seriously doubt I'll find a better price when I need it.

Yup, just grabbed one on TD.

On the otherhand, does anyone know if this case will fit XL-ATX motherboards? I was surprised to see that the 800D only has 7 PCI slots, considering how big it is. Looking at the Gigabyte 890FX-UD7 which has 8 PCI slots.

Yup, just grabbed one on TD.

On the otherhand, does anyone know if this case will fit XL-ATX motherboards? I was surprised to see that the 800D only has 7 PCI slots, considering how big it is. Looking at the Gigabyte 890FX-UD7 which has 8 PCI slots.

Yeah during development the 8th slot was kind of added as a bottom vent under the 7th slot. We may or may not make a future revision with 8 full slots, but we're keeping our options open.

We learned a lot from the 800D during development for our first case - and we've got to take that and make even cooler, better cases in the future and keep the 800D up-to-date with the latest features and such.

Yeah during development the 8th slot was kind of added as a bottom vent under the 7th slot. We may or may not make a future revision with 8 full slots, but we're keeping our options open.

We learned a lot from the 800D during development for our first case - and we've got to take that and make even cooler, better cases in the future and keep the 800D up-to-date with the latest features and such.

It's still hard to believe this is your first case. You guys really hit it out of the park.

Yeah. I still don't understand how Corsair can clearly see what is wanted/needed by enthusiast so clearly yet other companies fail and flounder at it.

Yeah. I still don't understand how Corsair can clearly see what is wanted/needed by enthusiast so clearly yet other companies fail and flounder at it.

It might be because I spend a bunch of time reading this forum.
:D

So should I basically just put a fan in every spot on the case? I'm sticking with Air Cooling for now (besides the H50 on my CPU).

So should I basically just put a fan in every spot on the case? I'm sticking with Air Cooling for now (besides the H50 on my CPU).

Yup. Front two fans as exhausts, rear and top rear fan as intake.

Okay, because I just bought this (It's not here yet), to be clear: three fans on top to exhaust, and the rear fan on the back exhausts, is that correct?

No, set back fan and the top fan closest to back to intake. The top two fans toward the front are exhaust.

No, set back fan and the top fan closest to back to intake. The top two fans toward the front are exhaust.

Okay that seems strange to me because generally the top and rear fans are always exhaust. In fact, doesn't the pre-installed 140mm rear fan exhaust? If so, you're saying to reverse it?

Sorry to be a pain, I just want to maximize my airflow. Thanks for your time and effort...and patience! :)

Okay that seems strange to me because generally the top and rear fans are always exhaust. In fact, doesn't the pre-installed 140mm rear fan exhaust? If so, you're saying to reverse it?

Sorry to be a pain, I just want to maximize my airflow. Thanks for your time and effort...and patience! :)

Redbeard said it, I'm not going to question him on it. >.>;

Redbeard said it, I'm not going to question him on it. >.>;

I'll be the first to acknowledge his expertise. However, presumably he's also human, and can make mistakes. In fact, he did revise his original statement. Enough to confuse me, anyway. Thus, my request for clarification.

would that fan configuration benefit if you are running WC as well? or having top 3 as exhaust would be best?

I just got a text, "holy moly this box is big."

Guess my case is there. Can't wait to get home. :D

I picked one up with my new build last week and I love it. The ambient temp is so hot in the case though, I think I need some better fans.

Yea, another 3 to 4 fans for this case is pretty much mandatory. Once you add in the top 3 fans and change the airflow like Redbeard said though, it gets much better.

On the other hand, UPS tracking shows that my case from the TD deal has just been delivered and that the shipping weight is 70lbs??!?! Anyone else got theirs delivered yet and what did it say on your tracking page?

I definitely remember weighing the one I ordered for my friend and that was 42lbs with the cardboard box and foam.

On the other hand, UPS tracking shows that my case from the TD deal has just been delivered and that the shipping weight is 70lbs??!?! Anyone else got theirs delivered yet and what did it say on your tracking page?

I definitely remember weighing the one I ordered for my friend and that was 42lbs with the cardboard box and foam.

Yeah mine says 70 lbs too. Earlier in the thread there was a lot of incidences of shipping damage, so I'm betting that corsair took steps to better protect these things in shipment. But 28 lbs of extra packing seems...wowsers! Lol. But hey, if it gets my new baby here nicely, I'm all for it.

Redbeard, these new cases, are they shipping with the less-stiff 4way power sata that was being discussed earlier? And the hole line-ups, were they addressed?

Oh ok, well I'll put it on the scale again when I get home, to see if it's really 70lbs or if UPS is just grossly overcharging LOL.

I don't think Redbeard knows if these are the updated ones, since it's TD's stock, and they may have been ordered since last year for all we know.

The tracking for mine (I ordered from newegg) said 1lb ._.

Oh ok, well I'll put it on the scale again when I get home, to see if it's really 70lbs or if UPS is just grossly overcharging LOL.

I don't think Redbeard knows if these are the updated ones, since it's TD's stock, and they may have been ordered since last year for all we know.

They should be the updated ones. TD's stock is no more than a month or two old as far as I know. They sell through these things pretty fast, actually.

Sales have been quite brisk for what we were expecting (for a $300 case).

Updated ones? Are there multiple versions of the 800D?

No, the original production runs had a few small problems, that it sounds like they quickly and efficiently moved to fix. And, given redbeard's response, it sounds like that original run has all been sold, and I'm sure Corsair took care of anyone that ran into such problems, if they needed to.

Back