Got offered an Internship!!!

Stang Man

2[H]4U
I got offered a summer internship at a well known insurance company. Now my dillemma...

The position is level II tech support supporting 3000 devices and users, OS imaging, etc etc. It's an OK position, but at LEAST it will solidify a position in the future when I graduate.

I also had an interview last friday (mar 17th)(and sent a thank you note as well) with a well known defense contractor that manufactures jet engines. The manager that interviewed me seemed really interested in me and I feel I have a good chance. The work I would do would be anything that I would like to do and met my career objectives. This internship is a lot better suited towards me. However, I haven't gotten confirmation from them, but the manager said he would forward my info onto HR and except to be contact within 1-2 weeks.

When I received the call from the insurance company, I asked for a couple days to think about the offer and that I am still waiting to hear back from the other company. They said it was fine and to contact them by the 28th. The defense contractor manager gave me his contact information. Should I call him and ask how the selection process is going along and if there is anything else I can answer for him?

I'd really like to know how I stand with defense contractor so I can get back to the insurance company ASAP and let them know if I accept their offer.

My major is Information/Network Security and I want to be a System/Security Administrator.

Stang Man said:
I also had an interview last friday (mar 17th)(and sent a thank you note as well) with a well known defense contractor that manufactures jet engines.

Heehee...we take care of the network of the company that does the repair/refurb work for them!

That insurance company the big tall shiny building in our state capital?

YeOldeStonecat said:
Heehee...we take care of the network of the company that does the repair/refurb work for them!

That insurance company the big tall shiny building in our state capital?

which one? the gold dome or the unique pointed ellipse one? :p

what do you think i should do in this situation?

Call the guy and let him know how interested you are in the position. Ask him if there's anything else you can answer or do for him to show that you're the best candidate. If he says there's nothing, ask him if you're the best candidate for the position and when you can expect a final decision.

Confidence is a good thing, but dont sound cocky.

got a call from a third insurance company, and they believe I'm a strong candidate for the position, even though I thought the interview was sour, lol

Now I have to choose between 2 insurance companies and a defense contractor.

I spoke with the manager from defense contractor and he said HR should be getting in touch with me soon. Literally 10 minutes after we spoke I got an email and they had me answer a couple questions.

So I have 1 offer, and 2 pending offers.... choices choices choices!! :D

I think I'll be accepting the defense contractor's offer. Money is not a real important factor, but working in an environment that's concentrated on security is. And I think I will get better exposure there.

"strong candidate" doesn't mean a sure offer ;) At least from my experience. I'd go with the defense contractor tho.

versello said:
"strong candidate" doesn't mean a sure offer ;) At least from my experience. I'd go with the defense contractor tho.

Don't some defense contractors require a govt. security clearance and such for people to work there?

I'm still on the hunt for summer internships. I have a phone interview Monday, so, who knows.
At this point i want/need the work experience, but if i can't work this summer, i have a sweet schedule.

RedComet said:
Don't some defense contractors require a govt. security clearance and such for people to work there?

I'm still on the hunt for summer internships. I have a phone interview Monday, so, who knows.
At this point i want/need the work experience, but if i can't work this summer, i have a sweet schedule.

depends on the level of access you need. I doubt as an intern they'll require one. If I get hired full time and need it, I'll have to go through the loops to get it

The insurance companies that I have audited are extremely security concious- Just because they don't deal with guns n' stuff doesn't mean they don't have serious security. They're typically the cleanest and best run IT environments that I've seen (though, I have not been to a defence contractor yet).. heck.. they're generally cleaner than the credit card/check processing companies that I've audited.

THe other thing to consider, is that defense is a very cyclical business- their tides ebb and flow with the awarding of contracts, thus, their workforce is typically less stable- they loose a contract, people loose their jobs, they get a contract, they hire the world.

Schro said:
The insurance companies that I have audited are extremely security concious- Just because they don't deal with guns n' stuff doesn't mean they don't have serious security. They're typically the cleanest and best run IT environments that I've seen (though, I have not been to a defence contractor yet).. heck.. they're generally cleaner than the credit card/check processing companies that I've audited.

THe other thing to consider, is that defense is a very cyclical business- their tides ebb and flow with the awarding of contracts, thus, their workforce is typically less stable- they loose a contract, people loose their jobs, they get a contract, they hire the world.

I hear you on this, my duties at the insurance companies wouldn't be so much dealing with security though. So I'm choosing the one I think I would get the best hands-on experience from. I can always apply it to other sectors.

They also have a massive portion of their business from civilian/commercial aircraft...so they have a fairly steady customer base to keep busines steady. The sub that they use who's network we take care of is going through massive growth lately.

since those jobs start at the summer. say yes to every and all offers.

then... when you get a call from the defense (or the final job offer) you can make a final decision. /thread. :D

Back