Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Mine has the blotch now. So do a couple of others I've seen (37 and a 42). I will never buy Westinghouse again. Still though, it was pretty awesome while it didn't have the blotch and the blotch is pretty much un-noticeable for console gaming and tv/movie watching.

As a computer monitor though, I just can't stand it anymore. It drives me crazy. I can't help but look at that frigging blotch and whatever was recently burned ("persisted") into the blotch.

I still don't really understand why it's there in the first place. I wish I could fix it. I've tried leaving it off for a while and even the alternating black and white images. It only helps very much temporarily.

I'm interested in 120hz monitors now. I'd like at least 27" though. I just don't think I could go back to anything less. I wouldn't mind going higher res too. Guess I'll wait and see as it looks like I don't have many options right now.

heh a part of me thinks I should try 3x23-24" monitors and do the 'eyefinity' thing, but I dunno.

Last edited:
heh a part of me thinks I should try 3x23-24" monitors and do the 'eyefinity' thing, but I dunno.

I would advise against it. I have both setups and I prefer my 42" for games because there's no bezel. This is the only thing I could think of that would properly replace it: LG 42LD450

I would advise against it. I have both setups and I prefer my 42" for games because there's no bezel. This is the only thing I could think of that would properly replace it: LG 42LD450

See i am the opposite, i tried 3x23" and i am starting to preferr it to my 37",

the real tell will be when i switch back to my 37" Westy and see the difference since i've been on the eyefinity for 2 months now, i figure its a long enough time to see tell the difference

See i am the opposite, i tried 3x23" and i am starting to preferr it to my 37",

the real tell will be when i switch back to my 37" Westy and see the difference since i've been on the eyefinity for 2 months now, i figure its a long enough time to see tell the difference

I think I would be ok with it and even prefer it if my bezels were thinner.

They would have to be Samsung MD230 thin though. Otherwise they get in the way when playing games like Starcraft 2 and some buttons run across the bezels or a unit I'm trying to select does the same. It makes it look like there's an extra button in-between and it takes extra time for me to think through it or scroll to verify what I'm seeing/guessing is right (just very distracting).

The difference is HUGE though (for when you check on ur 37"). It's amazing how big some stuff looks on the larger screen. I used to think everything on my Eyefinity setup was soooo small for a while. Now I'm used to it and it's the opposite.

...my Westy 37 turned the ripe old age of FIVE today....I still love it and dread finding a replacement when it dies....

It has minor dark areas at the top and upper right that only show up on full white backgrounds (ugg, who does that anyway) and have not gotten worse in 3+ years.

Still impresses my friends.

My 37 Westy is still going strong too, mind you it has some burn in but still 100% useable. However, I've upgraded my home computer to 3 x 27' Asus for Nvidia Surround (I love it, hard to go back to single monitor) and I've taken my Westy to work.

People come in my office, and when they see my screen their jaw drops lol!

I brought my 37w1 home on 1/11/2006. It has been a fantastic monitor. It has just started to have LCD powerboard shutoff issue, though, and I am looking around for something to replace mine.

omg mine still works. i never expected it to last *THIS LONG*. if i gift it to a friend of mine do you think it'll keep going>? i don't want to be the guy that gives this away... then all a sudden the LCD goes dead =P

I brought my 37w1 home on 1/11/2006. It has been a fantastic monitor. It has just started to have LCD powerboard shutoff issue, though, and I am looking around for something to replace mine.

Rhino.. check the capacitors.. does it come on and then turn off after a while?

Still have mine for a little more than 3 years and it is still working. Thinking about 24x3 eyeinfinity now.

I think i read at the AVS forums that some of the Westy W3 panel anomalies are heat related, and that once it starts then it's probably too late to reverse.

Those who still have good working W3's, and want to prolong it's life as much as they can, may want to try active cooling. You can rig a silent fan to one of the bottom vents to assist the convection cooling.

I'm using one on my 32" Panasonic right now, but that's mostly because of paranoia and poor air circulation in the area it's located.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is what mine looks like right now after 5 years....do any of yours look like this after some years of service?

6866274887_e0cbe75b4c_b.jpg

these blotches are hella annoying....will not show up in bright red, green, yellow, or blue. but anything grayish will show like a sore thumb. I never turn mine off, pretty much been on 24/7 as computer screen all these years, only have screensaver kicked in after 15min. And I smoked in the room so that may have do it in as well....this behemoth lived a harsh life. LOL

Last edited:
This is what mine looks like right now after 5 years....do any of yours look like this after some years of service?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6866274887_e0cbe75b4c_b.jpg

these blotches are hella annoying....will not show up in bright red, green, yellow, or blue. but anything grayish will show like a sore thumb.
Nope, my SE is nearly 5yrs (this june) and still no signs of any problems. I turn mine off if I'm not using it, or it goes to sleep (but the backlight will only turn off automatically if it's the first attempt at sleeping). I don't have a screen saver, it's set to just turn the monitor off after 15min.

My friend had the non-SE version and had problems around the 4.5yr mark, similar to what can be seen in your pics (same treatment as me, off when not in use). Replaced it with a 42LD450.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6...cbe75b4c_b.jpg

these blotches are hella annoying....will not show up in bright red, green, yellow, or blue. but anything grayish will show like a sore thumb.

Yup. Mine (an SE) just started doing this, although not as severe. I only see it in gray as well. I turn my mine off when not in use and use a screensaver. I got a lot of good years out of it but I'm looking for another 37". I dread it, I worry nothing will look as good (crisp text). I know a few sets will do 4:4:4 but most are 32", I don't want to downgrade.

... but I'm looking for another 37". I dread it, I worry nothing will look as good (crisp text). I know a few sets will do 4:4:4 but most are 32", I don't want to downgrade.
Those 32" models often have a 37" size that work just as well with 4:4:4 btw, this includes LG, Westinghouse and one or two other brands. Hit up the 4:4:4 thread for tons of info and links to other discussions.

I had mine for 4 yrs no issues, I now have two 32ld450's. that I prefer due to actual eye level height versus the single 37

I've had my 37W3 since early 2007 and it's still almost perfect. I've always turned it off when i'm sleeping or at work. I've also only had the backlight on the 20 setting for its life. That is untill I moved a month ago and I now have a large window creating glare behind me now. I'm trying the setting at 60 but i'm worried it will cut its young life short :mad:

My 37w1 has been retired to bedroom duty, 2006 till now the monitor has been a great purchase, first on the block to rock 1080p and 37" of it. I wonder how many more years I will get out er? My new U2711 while a step down in size, really makes up for things in fidelity and color, but Ill never forget my Westy!

I had the Westy for a few years (bought it refurb, but don't remember how long ago... definitely around 5 years ago). After about 4 years of use with my Dell 24" Ultrasharp and the 37" westy in dual-monitor setup, I upgraded to 3x26" ASUS 1920x1200 eyefinity. I'll be honest, I do miss the vibrance of the 37" Westy for gaming, but it was time for a change.

I was going to use the monitor in my bedroom so that my wife and I could watch a show while going to sleep, but instead I gave the monitor to my brother for like $260 or so maybe 2 years ago. We thought that was a fair deal and I bought a 32" eco vizio for the bedroom instead... I do wish we had a 37" in the bedroom.

The monitor still runs like a champ!!! I don't want to jinx it, but it's true.
I do miss the monitor as a computer monitor, but I must be honest, 1080i looks like CRAP!!! I always set my set top boxes to only display 720p, never 1080i. The interlacing was horrendous!!

Sorry to those that are having issues, but you did get a good amount of time out of them I'm sure. :)

Hello all... I have had the lvm-37w3se for approx 5 years now and have used it soley as a gaming monitor. Recently I thought of picking up 2 more to try out eye infinity with my Crossfire 6970 setup. Has anyone had any experiance running eye infinity with these monitors? Are the bezels just to big??

I cannot find one for sale anywhere so it might just be a pipe dream... :eek:

look for used ones in the FS/FT forum, ebay or craigslist? You might have to consider getting 3x LG 37LK450 sets.. but then you face playing the LG panel lottery (IPS hit or miss)..

np! they make a nice 42 incher in the same LK450 series... might want to go for that one... 3 of those would be gaming nirvana. :p

I was thinking about just getting 2 of the lg 37 to complete the trio. Then i found a thread on these forums where people are using smaller monitors rotated and set to portrait mode... so I can get away with it much less expensive doing it that way, the question is will be experience be the same. 4 example getting to 24 inch or 25 inch monitors....

look for used ones in the FS/FT forum, ebay or craigslist? You might have to consider getting 3x LG 37LK450 sets.. but then you face playing the LG panel lottery (IPS hit or miss)..
Coming from a VA panel Westy i personally don't think a VA panel LK450 would be too much of a downer. The VA LK450 would still have higher contrast + better blacks than the Westy, it'll still have working 4:4:4 for sharp colored text, low input lag and lots of calibration settings.

The Westy W3 has 32ms input lag (2 frames) whereas the LK450 has roughly the same, 24 to 32ms (1-1/2 to 2 frames).

Almost forgot, with the 37" sized LK450, the IPS panel is not uncommon.

You'd have to check the white sticker on the outside of the box, and look for these letters on the barcode --> "CUSY" (it means there's an IPS panel in the box). Whereas if the box sticker has the letters "CUSD" it means you have a VA panel inside.

The IPS version would have moderately better motion, viewing angles, and many people like the colors better. Whereas the VA version would have better blacks + overall contrast. You win and lose either way you pick but most people still choose the IPS.

Last edited:
I've been using a Westinghouse 37" 1080p since January 2007 as my main PC monitor. It started to develop the blotches that only show up on certain backgrounds. It is pretty bad now and I'm starting to think of a replacement.

20"/30"/20" PLP looks awesome but very expensive. I've had a 20" LCD on an ergotron arm to the left of the 37" Westy for years. Fantastic setup.

What have others switched to?

You're in luck! The new Westy 37" replacement is the LG 39LN5300. Read more here -

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review

Thanks a lot for that link! Been reading about the LG and it looks fantastic.

I really would like a 30" or 27" for the added resolution on the desktop, but I want to be able connect an xbox to it and use it for watching movies from farther away so it looks like the high resolution 27/30s are out.

I may pick one up soon and put my dying Westy in the spare bedroom.

Thanks a lot for that link! Been reading about the LG and it looks fantastic.

I really would like a 30" or 27" for the added resolution on the desktop, but I want to be able connect an xbox to it and use it for watching movies from farther away so it looks like the high resolution 27/30s are out.

I may pick one up soon and put my dying Westy in the spare bedroom.

I would agree with SixFootDuo, the 39LN5300 is incredible. I still have my sometimes-will-power-on Westy more than 18 months after replacing it with a LG 37LK450; it was such a great monitor for the era.

Last edited:
I would agree with SixFootDuo, the 39LN5300 is incredible. I still have my sometimes-will-power-on Westy more than 18 months after replacing it with a LG 37LK450; it was such a great monitor for the era.

I want to see a picture of SixFootDuo's 3x39" setup...

In the process of designing a custom desk. I'm lucky that I have someone to help me. Desk will double as an audio workstation for my Novation keyboard / N.I. Maschine MK2

I picked up the 39LN5300 to replace an aging Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" and I'm having a lot of trouble.

I have it set up with a DVI to HDMI cable using 4:4:4 from my PC. Text is clear, but the whites are a little too bright and colors a little too muted. I'm sure that can be fixed with more extensive tweaking, but there is another issue that is making me want to send it back...

Sitting about 3.5 feet back (same distance as my Westinghouse if not 6 inches farther) I am seeing substantial brightness issues on the left and right edges. It's very evident if I move my head side to side as it shifts more or less depending on the side. I never had any of these issues on my old LVM-37W3. Am I don't something wrong?

I took some images with my phone:

mkNH1jN.jpg

xLRytvB.jpg

Thanks.

I returned the LG... beware anyone who is looking for a Westinghouse replacement for the PC. I can only assume it is a panel lottery because of all the other good reports. Mine was purchased through Amazon.com.

Recently returned a LG 32LN5700. Text was not as clear and sharp as my Westy. With the HDMI ports labeled as PC I felt it was still doing some kind of processing. I'm outputting from the DVI port on my card. My 37" Westy looks as sharp as any smaller monitor. Even my old 46" EX400 Sony I use for HTPC video had better looking text then the LG and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do 4:4:4.

Recently returned a LG 32LN5700. Text was not as clear and sharp as my Westy. With the HDMI ports labeled as PC I felt it was still doing some kind of processing. I'm outputting from the DVI port on my card. My 37" Westy looks as sharp as any smaller monitor. Even my old 46" EX400 Sony I use for HTPC video had better looking text then the LG and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do 4:4:4.

It's a shame that the EX400 isn't available anymore (and if you manage to track one down, the asking price is ridiculous for a TV of that age). It truly was supposed to be one of the best alternatives to the Westy. Sharp and Samsung and LG have had so many models throughout the past few years, it's hard to discern which ones fared better and worse as replacements for the Westy. I had high hopes for this new LG, but so far we have 2 posts saying that it's awesome and 2 posts saying that they returned it. Not very promising, IMO. It's a shame that someone won't make a large MONITOR (not TV) these days like Westinghouse did with the 37W3, but I guess the market for those is too small to be worth it.

Still using my Westy 37". Not really looking for a replacement....and reading about that LG makes me want to not worry...yet.

Back