Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Our Westy-37" 1080P was killed cuz most manufacturers want 40" or 42" to be the minimum size for a 1080P -tv.
Prolly marketing depts dont see enuff profit margin or whatever..
OK, I sure don't like it, but its a done deal----time to move on.
So, will u guys PLEASE watch for news of Sony's so-called "killer" 1080P, the new 40" XBR4 ?
Here's the latest I've found out about it......

Best Buy dept mgr here in Boston told me this yesterday about the new 40":
I expect to have it in maybe 3 weeks or so.
I haven't seen it yet, but hear it has real nice Specs.
It also has 10-Bit panel that gives 1 Billion colors instead of 16 Million that TVs have now.
I'm pretty sure from past experience with launches of new TVs, that BB will "Introduce" this new Sony by having a big Weekend Special Discount Sale.
Then afterwards the price will go up to full retail, so keep an eye open....
Anyway, thats what he said. Has anyone heard different?

Pleez post here any good news about any 40" or 42" panels that look good to you.
That'll be a big help to all us Westy guys looking for for Westy-37 "replacements".. Big thanks....

just reading from others in this thread, yes, many people are running at 1080p60 with a DVI-HDMI cable.

it may be that some video cards like the 1900xt won't do 1080p thru a hdmi-dvd cable.

my 1900xt works fine over DVI, but not so with HDMI-DVI. i only get 1080i. if i force 60hz with Powerstrip, the tv says 1080p but i get really bad 1080i blur. if i move a window, i can't read anything in it while moving. in 1080p i can.

with my 9500 pro and x600 pro. 1080p works properly right away. no special tweaking necessary.

so sometimes it can depend on ur card or drivers even. i can only speak for the 3 ATI cards i have though.

DSCF0606-HARDOCP.jpg

It's blurry. But still, :]

Yes i do sit that close to it when just browsing. I don't have a tower yet so I don't really game. When I play XBOX I lean back and put my feet on my desk so I'm not to close. The laptop is a Gateway that I got off Ebay, I'm not sure what model it is though, sorry.

Yes i do sit that close to it when just browsing. I don't have a tower yet so I don't really game. When I play XBOX I lean back and put my feet on my desk so I'm not to close. The laptop is a Gateway that I got off Ebay, I'm not sure what model it is though, sorry.

It tells you the model number on the bottom of the laptop.

Have had this baby (the W3 model firmware 1.8) for over 3 months now. I still think this is the best purchase I have made computer wise in years. I only hope it will last a long long time, like my trusty 21 inch CRT. To help it along I turn off when not in use and have backlight set to 2 when not playing games. Oblivion has been so much fun to play on this big baby and every time somebody comes over they want to take this monitor home with them :)

I still need a desk better then the one I have. The Ikea Jerker was great. Anybody know more about any good replacements?

The 360 Elite over HDMI also runs flawless.

So thanks to the OP for this thread. Thanks to Westy for making an affordable 37 inch monitor that is actually good for gaming and I am sorry for those folks who couldn't take advantage of this. I hope the replacement is just as good for gaming as this baby is.

I would imagine this thread may soon die or lose sticky status because of its being discontinued by I am amazed that this thread has gotten over 500,00 views. Thats amazing :)

I would love for Nvidia to stop calling it a plug and play monitor now that so many of us have it. Though they do list it properly in the control panel.

Have fun with your Westys!

37" EMPREX HD-3701.
$699 (ya, you read that right) and its a 1080P.
Presently "outta stock" but still listed for Cart-purchase.... so give it a try n' see what happens.
wow, this sukka is a real light-weight only :eek: 26lb :eek: has 800:1 Contrast, PIP, (1) HDMI conn. ..bla, bla.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4860630?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Be careful. This set does NOT do 1080p60. It does 1080p30.

AVS thread

Further huge strikes: Does not appear to accept 1080P input, but upscales everything else to 1080P. HDMI port probably doesn't support HDCP. This might make a good TV folks, but it doesn't look like a monitor candidate.

Yeah my Westy is giving me shit, I'm pretty sure it just died. I go to turn it on - powers on but I get no picture no matter what I do..let it sit unplugged for an hour and plugged it back in and got nothing. It did this once before, where I unplugged it and waited, then plugged it back in, and it worked..but now it's KIA. I'm kinda' pissed. I hear their RMA service blows balls so this should be a fun adventure :mad:

I have a small problem. Im running Vista 64bit with an 8800gtx and the latest drivers from nvidia. The nvidia control panel recognizes my 37''se as a 42'' and does not give me the ability to apply 1080p resolution. Ive manually switched the resolution in the windows settings to 1920x1080@60hertz correct me if im wrong though that is 1080p right? I just would like to set it though the nvidia control panel (I have a feeling its just not right =P and its still not as clear as it was before when I was on XP with an ati9700) and have my screen properly recognized. Anyone have an idea of a solution that could help? Perhaps theres an older driver that would work?
Thanks.

504lmd5.png

4q3fuqb.png

I'm not sure, but i did set mine to PC in the control panel on the Monitor it self too and then i set it on the control panel like you did there and mine started seeing it as 1080 P mine is the TX 42 inch.

It being improperly recognized as a W4207 is definitely not a Vista only thing. I think it happens under both XP and Vista on all NVIDIA cards with the SE version. ATI cards mysteriously detect it properly. The general fix is to create a custom resolution for 1920x1080x60p but I don't have Vista so I don't know how to do it in the new control panel, and the old control panel was completely removed from NVIDIA's Vista drivers. You'll have to scour this thread for the solution, I think. I tried searching and couldn't find it.

I'm not sure, but i did set mine to PC in the control panel on the Monitor it self too and then i set it on the control panel like you did there and mine started seeing it as 1080 P mine is the TX 42 inch.

Completely different model and problem so the solution is completely different.

Jaegertech, thanx for the 'heads-up' on Fry's el-cheapo $699 Emprex 37" 1080P.("warning....does NOT do 1080P-60, it does 1080P-30").

I have a small problem. Im running Vista 64bit with an 8800gtx and the latest drivers from nvidia. The nvidia control panel recognizes my 37''se as a 42'' and does not give me the ability to apply 1080p resolution. Ive manually switched the resolution in the windows settings to 1920x1080@60hertz correct me if im wrong though that is 1080p right? I just would like to set it though the nvidia control panel (I have a feeling its just not right =P and its still not as clear as it was before when I was on XP with an ati9700) and have my screen properly recognized. Anyone have an idea of a solution that could help? Perhaps theres an older driver that would work?
Thanks.

Could it be something with ClearType text smoothing?
Are you selecting the TV-Type as 1080i ?

It will be very obvious on a computer desktop whether its running at anything other than 1080p. 1:1 pixel mapping just looks a certain way, crystal clear comes to mind. And if it's running at 1080i, you will see strange artifacting on moving objects, but stationary ones should look normal. Definitely not a ClearType thing, especially considering how much trouble it is getting this thing to do 1080p on NVIDIA cards, especially in Vista.

I need to sell my west 37. I need something smaller and a tad cooler. How much do u guys think i shoud sell it for?

Well I just got F'd in the A' thanks to Westinghouse's RMA process. Basically I just had to spend $265.00 to ship the TV to Santa Fe Springs CA. (For repair/replacement) and I was wondering did anyone of you who had the misfortune of having their unit break down, get their money credited back to them by Westinghouse? I mean cmon' it's fucking bullshit that ya' gotta spend that amount of money to send a TV that's under warranty back to its place of origin.. Any ideas on how to go about this?

Well .... I had to spend $265.00 to ship the TV to Santa Fe Springs CA. (For repair/replacement) ......
Sheesh !.... I can see mebbe "$65 for Low-Priority Roundtrip Ground"-----but whats the $200 for?
Your set is under warranty, as far as I know there should be no charge except Freight.

Sheesh !.... I can see mebbe "$65 for Low-Priority Roundtrip Ground"-----but whats the $200 for? Do you live on the other side of planet Earth and it takes ships, railroads n' packmules to get your Westy to California USA?
Your set is under Warranty !-----as far as I know there should be no charge except Freight.
Call them & demand "Whats going on here, I have a Warranty !!"

I live in Jersey and it has to go to California. The size of the tv + packaging and the weight / the way it had to be packed is where the bulk of the price came from, then the rest was purely destination (cross country). Some freight company like AIT wanted close to $400 to ship it, and that's half the amount of the tv itself!

Sheesh !.... I can see mebbe "$65 for Low-Priority Roundtrip Ground"-----but whats the $200 for? Do you live on the other side of planet Earth and it takes ships, railroads n' packmules to get your Westy to California USA?
Your set is under Warranty !-----as far as I know there should be no charge except Freight.
Call them & demand "Whats going on here, I have a Warranty !!"

LOL. i love this post. if my westy ever breaks i'm going to use this post when i talk to them if they give me flack ;)

Well I just got F'd in the A' thanks to Westinghouse's RMA process. Basically I just had to spend $265.00 to ship the TV to Santa Fe Springs CA. (For repair/replacement) and I was wondering did anyone of you who had the misfortune of having their unit break down, get their money credited back to them by Westinghouse? I mean cmon' it's fucking bullshit that ya' gotta spend that amount of money to send a TV that's under warranty back to its place of origin.. Any ideas on how to go about this?

I believe it is at the manager's discretion to issue a shipping label. They certainly have a process, including pickup by UPS, to ship the sets on their own dime. The key is to be pleasant and basically beg a little. Make a reasoned argument (politely) why shipping it back to them is a hardship and ask if they can make an exception.

Oh yeah, and hope for a chick. Preferably one with a strong maternal instinct. Thems is easy buttons to press. You demand anything, even once, and you are well and truly fucked. If the tech doesn't like you, you aren't getting anything.

I believe it is at the manager's discretion to issue a shipping label. They certainly have a process, including pickup by UPS, to ship the sets on their own dime. The key is to be pleasant and basically beg a little. Make a reasoned argument (politely) why shipping it back to them is a hardship and ask if they can make an exception.

Oh yeah, and hope for a chick. Preferably one with a strong maternal instinct. Thems is easy buttons to press. You demand anything, even once, and you are well and truly fucked. If the tech doesn't like you, you aren't getting anything.

Yeah I had a really pleasant young woman on the phone earlier today and she got everything set up, however I already shipped the thing out to them (It leaves tomorrow night the UPS guy said). Do you think it's too late to get some sorta..reimbursment?

Yeah I had a really pleasant young woman on the phone earlier today and she got everything set up, however I already shipped the thing out to them (It leaves tomorrow night the UPS guy said). Do you think it's too late to get some sorta..reimbursment?

Too late. Westinghouse almost definitely gets reduced shipping rates from UPS, which they are sometimes willing to cover, but they aren't going to reimburse your cost.

Costco is no longer selling these, so how did you "just" get yours?

I didn't say I got it yesterday. Ordered it June 25, received it about two weeks ago.

Didn't realize costco longer carries it. Sorry for any confusion. It was a great deal at that price. Now at a $1000+ you have to consider the 42" 1080p with a built in tuner. BB has it for $1100.

I didn't say I got it yesterday. Ordered it June 25, received it about two weeks ago.

Didn't realize costco longer carries it. Sorry for any confusion. It was a great deal at that price. Now at a $1000+ you have to consider the 42" 1080p with a built in tuner. BB has it for $1100.

yup and today is the last day to get it for 990(plus tax) for those of you still waiting..at least until the next sale and or coupons come out

if anyone knows how to get a 2nd monitor on a nvidia card display at a different resolution to work in xp? if so please PM me

Just open the Display Control panel (not the NVIDIA control panel), goto Settings, you should see 2 monitor icons. Select the one you want to change and move the slider to the resolution you want and click Apply. If it's not active already, either right click and click "Attached" or just check the box for "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". You can then choose which one should be primary (the taskbar and new windows will appear on the primary), and which is on the left and right (or top and bottom if you have it that way). Just drag the monitor icons to position them how they are on your desk. You can click "identify" if you don't know which monitor is which.

yea blahman that's what i read, but the settings doesn't show two displays for me, only the nvidia control panel does.

do you know what would cause this? or a fix for it?

I picked up a second jerker to match my original one. i think the 2 together turned out pretty nicely. Now I just have to work on my wire management.

img2301fv8.jpg

Back