Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

just something I need to say here.. HD DVD FUCKING ROCKS.. whew.. that felt good.. I have been buying HD DVDs and watching them on my Westy with the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive running off my PC with PowerDVD Ultra... it's really amazing.. on the full face shots up close it's like looking at someone in person.. almost, like in person magnified sometimes.. my wife says it looks 3d to her.. I guess I can see that.. anyways.. I'm up to 10 HD DVDs now, only two of them I owned in SD, but one was non-widescreen, so I wanted another copy anyways, and the other I bought (superman returns) in dual format.. which BTW is kick ass.. so I can watch it on any of my DVD players.. shaaaaweet! :)

PS: lol on the 2600 on the Westy shots.. :)

Don't know if this has been posted or not but I was searching the web here and there and stumbled on a page that tells you how to access the service menu for Westinghouse. Have not tested to see if it works, and of course since it's suppose to access the service menu....use at your own risk.

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=53

Tried it, doesn't work. I think thats for the 42'' model.

Here's how to access the service menu on the 37W3:

1. Push the menu button on the remote to enter the menu
2. Come down to the bottom box on the left; it should be an & symbol
3. Go to the right and scroll down to # 7 - System Info. Hit Enter on the remote.

This will display the current input, resolution, and firmware version.

That's not the service menu.. that's information. You can't do any servicing from an information menu. :p

just something I need to say here.. HD DVD FUCKING ROCKS.. whew.. that felt good.. I have been buying HD DVDs and watching them on my Westy with the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive running off my PC with PowerDVD Ultra... it's really amazing.. on the full face shots up close it's like looking at someone in person.. almost, like in person magnified sometimes.. my wife says it looks 3d to her.. I guess I can see that.. anyways.. I'm up to 10 HD DVDs now, only two of them I owned in SD, but one was non-widescreen, so I wanted another copy anyways, and the other I bought (superman returns) in dual format.. which BTW is kick ass.. so I can watch it on any of my DVD players.. shaaaaweet! :)

PS: lol on the 2600 on the Westy shots.. :)

Oddly enough, I was just wondering if the XBox HD-DVD add-on > PC > PowerDVD would result in 1080p. Are you saying that it does?

Also, how do regular DVD's look when used with the add-on drive? I'm assuming that it has no up-conversion capabilities without software help?

Oddly enough, I was just wondering if the XBox HD-DVD add-on > PC > PowerDVD would result in 1080p. Are you saying that it does?

Also, how do regular DVD's look when used with the add-on drive? I'm assuming that it has no up-conversion capabilities without software help?

Yes.. the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive works with the PC just fine. I'd definetly recommend a HDCP certified card and monitor (such as the Westy) or else it might not work at all. I tried it with analog and no HDCP, and it didn't work.

But, regular DVD's in the drive will of course look the same as in your DVD-ROM. The Xbox360 HDDVD drive is no special piece of equipment, its just a standard HDDVD-ROM drive.

Just got my 37W3 Westy....
Plug it in, turn on hook up DVR and it works great. 2 hours later I turn the volume down to 0 and leave the room. Come back turn up the volume...and have no sound. Turn off TV change the connection to the RCA cables, turn on no picture on that input. Switch back to the component cables picture and no sound. Do an audio reset still nothing. Leave the room, poke around on the internet real quick find nothing.

Go back try to turn TV off with the remote and nothing happens. Change the batteries, still nothing. Press the power button on the TV, nothing. Unplug, plug back in, won't turn on.

2 hours and my Westy died.

So I'm out over $1k (Live in The Bahamas not sure I can get it back to Westinghouse without it costing my an arm and a leg in shipping to get it there. Gotta call Westinghouse tomorrow and talk to them.)

I feel ill.

So I'm out over $1k (Live in The Bahamas not sure I can get it back to Westinghouse without it costing my an arm and a leg in shipping to get it there. Gotta call Westinghouse tomorrow and talk to them.)

I feel ill.

Sucks dude...Westinghouse may pay for shipping...I thought they did in the cont. usa at least.

Plug it in, turn on hook up DVR and it works great. 2 hours later I turn the volume down to 0 and leave the room. Come back turn up the volume...and have no sound. Turn off TV change the connection to the RCA cables, turn on no picture on that input. Switch back to the component cables picture and no sound. Do an audio reset still nothing. Leave the room, poke around on the internet real quick find nothing.

Go back try to turn TV off with the remote and nothing happens. Change the batteries, still nothing. Press the power button on the TV, nothing. Unplug, plug back in, won't turn on.

I feel ill.

good luck! let us know how it goes with westinghouse support

at least you live in the Bahama's.. :D

I feel ill.
Sucks real hard man, I know your pain of shipping from over seas. Hope you can get it fix.

I feel ill.

Where did you buy it from? did you not buy any additional warranty through the site you bought it from? =\

Got it through NewEgg and their extended warranty:

"Service Net is a national service network with thousands of technicians across North America that can provide convenient, fast on-site service."

Useless to me sadly.

So now I wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Here is that video I mentiond earlier. Makes me drool thinking about the games coming in a few years. total wow factor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKphYfUk-M
search a little more using words like Havok and euphoria and you can find a couple more interesting ones.

Hey so the fact that M$ is coming out with the Elite unit sporting HDMI. It means we have to buy that unit to get true HD correct? Or is it possible to get it out of the current port we have now just with a hdmi end? I cant help but grumble when I talk about the 360 sometimes.

Got it through NewEgg and their extended warranty:

"Service Net is a national service network with thousands of technicians across North America that can provide convenient, fast on-site service."

Useless to me sadly.

So now I wait to see what tomorrow brings.

So the warranty is useless in the bahamas? I read through the whole contract and I didn't see it mention any place they DONT do service at.. have you contacted newegg about it?

So here it is...Here is what you've been waiting for, for awhile. My pictures of Supreme Commander on both my 37w3's playing dual-screen... :p

I know my cable management sucks, but hey I bring in new stuff all the time so I get tired of reorganizing them...

And this is how it normally is...because my other one goes in the living room for the TV and other 360...

OMG Jaw is now on the floor, SWEET! I keep going back buy another 360 the elite one or another 8800gts 640mb for sli? Well I know i have to get a new psu but the total coast is like $40 more total. I think i will go with the latter. That looks sweet though!

So the warranty is useless in the bahamas? I read through the whole contract and I didn't see it mention any place they DONT do service at.. have you contacted newegg about it?

Moot point, didn't bother to get it as the description makes it seem to be North America only. I doubt they would pay the roughly $450 for round trip tickets from Ft Lauderdale to here, let alone renting them a hotel room as well.

So here it is...Here is what you've been waiting for, for awhile. My pictures of Supreme Commander on both my 37w3's playing dual-screen... :p

I know my cable management sucks, but hey I bring in new stuff all the time so I get tired of reorganizing them...

And this is how it normally is...because my other one goes in the living room for the TV and other 360...

You know that is not a bad idea. I should get a second 42". Only problem is that I will have to get an extra video card to run that on.

OMG Jaw is now on the floor, SWEET! That looks sweet though!

@ bowhuntr11

So jealous :D

I don't even have one yet and he has two..!!

Thanks...I am pretty proud of it...

@ Bowhuntr11
I hate you...:D
:p
Does your job print money? And I suggest you get a different desk (s)

I wish it printed money :( And like I said, I usually don't have the 2 westy's in there. So the desk goes nicely...

You know that is not a bad idea. I should get a second 42". Only problem is that I will have to get an extra video card to run that on.

If you have the money to do it, then yeah its pretty sweet.

Can't wait to get mine all the pics look sweet!!!!!!! also looking at upgrading PC when cpu prices finally come down

Hey so the fact that M$ is coming out with the Elite unit sporting HDMI. It means we have to buy that unit to get true HD correct? Or is it possible to get it out of the current port we have now just with a hdmi end? I cant help but grumble when I talk about the 360 sometimes.

Not sure what you are calling "true" HD, but the XBox 360 can already output to true 1080p on the Westy. You just need to hook it up with the VGA cable. That is how I have mine setup, and it outputs in 1080p. And it is beautiful, i might add. :)

I just wish a real solution to the PS3 / HDMI problem would come out. I have been wanting to add a PS3 to my setup for awhile now. But, unless the HDCP handshake problem goes away, I will have to do without. Oh well.

Update: Called Westinghouse. I'll have to pay to ship to them, they will only ship to an address in the US. Which is ok, I have a freight forwarder there. Waiting for them to call me back with an RMA# and the address to ship it to.

Gonna cost about another $100 to get it from here to them.

wow.. well, that's not too bad I guess.. better than having no Westy.. man. sucks about that, but glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel.. fingers X'd for ya. :)

Update: Called Westinghouse. I'll have to pay to ship to them, they will only ship to an address in the US. Which is ok, I have a freight forwarder there. Waiting for them to call me back with an RMA# and the address to ship it to.

Gonna cost about another $100 to get it from here to them.

Good to hear. I hate the fact that your Westy blew up on you in such a short time but if I lost mine and it would only take $100 for me to get it back I would not mind so much. I hope the process goes fast.

Good to hear. I hate the fact that your Westy blew up on you in such a short time but if I lost mine and it would only take $100 for me to get it back I would not mind so much. I hope the process goes fast.

Yea hope every thing goes well for you. My draw dropped with sheer agony for you when I read what happened! Hope you get it back soon, pretty sure they will ship you a new unit.

I can say this for sure, I spoke with 2 people on Westinghouse, and both were incredibly helpful and polite. Only time I have ever called a manufacturer for warranty issues and I must say they impressed me. The first guy even put me on hold shortly to look up some troubleshooting info. The only thing he could come up with, and for the symptoms I described it was the only thing that might have worked, was to plug it directly into the wall in case my surge protector had tripped. Then I told him I had tried in another room in the house he said that something has gone wrong with the unit and they would do an RMA.

I can say this for sure, I spoke with 2 people on Westinghouse, and both were incredibly helpful and polite. Only time I have ever called a manufacturer for warranty issues and I must say they impressed me. The first guy even put me on hold shortly to look up some troubleshooting info. The only thing he could come up with, and for the symptoms I described it was the only thing that might have worked, was to plug it directly into the wall in case my surge protector had tripped. Then I told him I had tried in another room in the house he said that something has gone wrong with the unit and they would do an RMA.

That is good to hear! Hope all goes well :D.

Looking to grab this beast of a monitor, but gunshy of dead pixels, I decided to see what the locals at an unnamed major retailer (with a blue and yellow logo) would do for me.

They had a 37w2 playing on the wall of HDTV, so I asked the blue-shirted drone if they could get the w3 for in-store pickup. He looks it up, and we're staring at $1500 and a wad 'o change. I ask him if he can price match, he said "Sure!'. So, I point him at the 'Eggs current page and he stares at the $999 plus shipping of $70 for three-day. He fumbles around on the (Local Pricing) website, starts clicking away on the Egg, and arrived at a conclusion.

I looked at him, looked at the screen, looked back and asked him did he understand the concept of "A cold day in Hell before I ever shop here again" and "Have a Nice Day!" to the manager as I left. Nearly 5 grand of HD and game gadgets from that place over the past two years, and they try to shaft me like this:

The 37w3 at NewEgg $999 plus FedEx Standard Overnight Shipping of $495 is what he thought of as a "reasonable" price match. I could have sworn I saw $495 on there for shipping, I can't bring it up now on Newegg's order pages, but the sheer arrogance topped off another wonderful shopping experience at a brick 'n mortar.

I still can't bring myself to punch "Confirm" at the Egg despite the generally positive reviews and what I've gleaned wading through 184(!) pages of this thread. Our friend's experience in the Bahamas has given me a touch of cold feet.

Still, the promise of 1920x1200 billboard-sized gaming goodness barely four feet in front of my myopic face is sooooooooo damned tempting! :D

Hey guys. I'm a long-time viewer of this thread and I've finally managed to scrounge enough cash for this baby. I read every single post up till around page 30...

I know the monitor doesn't come with a DVI cable. Additionally, I know that somewhere in all these posts I saw a link or two to some suggested cabling on newegg. Do I need dual-link for my 8800gtx pc setup? Anyone have a suggestion on a cable brand or even, I daresay, a link to one?

Also, I'm planning to purchase it from Mwave.com as I've had great experience with them for five years strong now on all my pc dealings, but never anything this large or delicate. Has anyone had any positive/negative dealings with them, and what of the shipping?

Thanks in advance.

wow strikemaster. LOL. thats why i never shop for stuff at WorstBuy ;)

Egg hasn't let me down yet. :)

Back