Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

huh? No offense, but this sounds like bullsh*t to me. It makes no sense at all, and I have never heard of a product version number counting down. Does that mean that if they change something now, the version would be 0.9?

Sounds like something a support rep would say on the phone to make you feel better, and so they don't have to come out and update your firmware.

+1 for this sentiment. A few people agreeing with each other on a forum does not = truth.
There are some in this thread that believe a two digit number, eg 1.6, denotes a manufacture date.
The truth is no one but Westinghouse knows for sure, and they're not posting here.

All I know for sure is that my 1.5 bios is not the latest...unless of course someone wants to agree with me that it is :p

Opinions on using this as a desktop monitor sitting 3 feet away from it? Too big?

Thanks.

Same here: 3' feet is just fine for gaming and PC use. TV and DVDs, you want to sit a bit farther. HD DVDs... we'll see... I'm getting my player today. ;)

Opinions on using this as a desktop monitor sitting 3 feet away from it? Too big?

Thanks.

My+Setup.JPG

doesnt cause me any issues

It's on the truck for delivery.

Now it's the intolerable wait until it actually shows up on my doorstep :|

Yeah, I use mine with my pc as well....sitting roughly 3' from it. I watched some SD tv yesterday (24) sitting around 7-8' away. Looked pretty good to me.....

Wow I can't believe it..

this is my 2nd unit (first one had dead pixels), it has no dead pixels but it's making an annoying BUZZING sound now. I still have a few days to get it exchanged... ARGHHH

Wow I can't believe it..

this is my 2nd unit (first one had dead pixels), it has no dead pixels but it's making an annoying BUZZING sound now. I still have a few days to get it exchanged... ARGHHH

Where did you buy it from and are you exchanging it with them?

I bought mine from mwave and should be delivered on Thursday.

Might be off topic, but i wanted to know if anyone with the 42" Westinghouse is getting a clicking sound when they adjust the volume? I have a 37" that doesn't have this problem.

Might be off topic, but i wanted to know if anyone with the 42" Westinghouse is getting a clicking sound when they adjust the volume? I have a 37" that doesn't have this problem.

Both the 37 and the 42 made a slight click noise through the internal speakers when I had a mac mini hooked to them. No noise with other sources or no sources just with the mini so far.

This thread refuses to die!

For the above poster.. I got a Jerker Desk to accomodate my westy 37" :D

So, I'm like 3' + and man, this thing still blows my mind. I mean, it's truely frickin awesome!

It's really fun when a guest comes over and sees it..they are always likeWTF!!?

LOL

This thing is gorgeous in WoW, full screen, Full FX all the way up, 8x / 4x in the Nvidia settings. My little gnome rogue running around...LOL

SO Glad I found this thread back in December when I was display shopping. I was going for a 24" widescreen, but for just a few hundred more, I have the Westy, and there is NO COMPARISON!

Yeah makes me wonder how much revenue Westignhouse pulled in from this thread alone... Probably over 100k...

kinda makes you think we should have our own Westy Rep here in the thread answering ?s and the like ..... someone should contact Westinghouse :)

Damn I can't wait to get my new PC built for my westy. I am so tired of using my laptop screen plus vga for this thing as a pc monitor sucks. It is very good for my 360 though. Rumors of the HDMI 360 won't die just read that it is supposed to be $479.99 retail with HDMI and bigger HDD.

[Retaliation];1030663379 said:
its the ps3..not the display

I realize that, I worded my question the opposite of what I'm after. Does the ps3 have this problem on ALL LCD's over HDMI?

Ryan

I'm thinking of getting this monitor/TV too for my gaming on 360 and for my Laptop too. You think it's better if run this on my laptop? My laptop specs are on my sig.

I'd like to ask anyone who is pretty familiar with LCD's, not just the budget ones, but the $2k+ ones as well (most people seem to compare it with other budget models). How does the 37w3 compare with other 37-42" LCD's (of all price ranges) in the following:

optimal viewing angles
SD picture quality
use as TV
use as X-360 display
use as PC monitor
color quality
deep blacks
ghosting/banding/etc
any other misc observations

Also, most people I read about here seem to have some at least an 8800 gfx card. I presently use an evga geforce 6600 gt (pci express) w/ a 21" NEC MultiSync FE 1250+. They suit me fine for my needs. I am interested in the 37w3 primarily as a tv and for playing my 360. However, it would be nice to hook the PC up as well. Will I run into problems using my 6600 gt? If not, what would be the cheapest upgrade on a pci express card that can pump this baby?

[H]ump;1030665877 said:
kinda makes you think we should have our own Westy Rep here in the thread answering ?s and the like ..... someone should contact Westinghouse :)

Yeah that would be cool, although 100k in revenue is not a huge amount of profit depending on what margins are...

i use a x1950pro and play cs:s at 1920x1080 2xaa 4xaf.....on full servers (24 people) in heavy fire fights, it has never gone below 35fps...cpu is an x2 4400

Where did you buy it from and are you exchanging it with them?

I bought mine from mwave and should be delivered on Thursday.

B&M Store Conn's sells it for $999 + tax

The buzzing has gone away, any idea what causes it? (power supply/back light?)

B&M Store Conn's sells it for $999 + tax

The buzzing has gone away, any idea what causes it? (power supply/back light?)

I know in some other displays it is the power supply, but can't comment on this one as I havn't gotten mine yet.

That is nice that you could get it in a B&M, I probably would have pulled the trigger months ago there was one near me that carried the westy.

FACESNORTH:

I'd like to ask anyone who is pretty familiar with LCD's, not just the budget ones, but the $2k+ ones as well (most people seem to compare it with other budget models). How does the 37w3 compare with other 37-42" LCD's (of all price ranges) in the following:

optimal viewing angles - probably around -100degrees to +100 degrees
SD picture quality - pretty good, this screen can do 1:1 mapping, so video is actual size, it can also stretch
use as TV - works fine, but you'll need a tuner, this is a monitor, and it doesn't have one
use as X-360 display - freaking great! w/fall update for 360, now 1080P capable
use as PC monitor - very very nice
color quality - pretty good, but I'm no image/design major either. I don't know what the % of true gamut is
deep blacks - no so good. you'll have to turn down the backlight, but it's a bit gray.
ghosting/banding/etc - sometimes, depends on the color range, and the speed
any other misc observations - best for under $1500, samsung/sony SXRD would be better, but they're over $1500 (most of the time).

Also, most people I read about here seem to have some at least an 8800 gfx card. I presently use an evga geforce 6600 gt (pci express) w/ a 21" NEC MultiSync FE 1250+. They suit me fine for my needs. I am interested in the 37w3 primarily as a tv and for playing my 360. However, it would be nice to hook the PC up as well. Will I run into problems using my 6600 gt? If not, what would be the cheapest upgrade on a pci express card that can pump this baby?[/QUOTE]

7900gs would be minumum I would run on this screen, but that's just me. I personally think anything over 1600x1200 needs 2 cards (but I'm kinda nuts, too).

This was posted on the PSU forums:

"Just got off the phone with Westinghouse customer service. They are reporting that Sony will be fixing the HDMI-sync issue that cuases blinking on some TVs in the next Firmware upgrade to be release within a month.
They said that the PS3 was asking for the sync signal too soon for most TVs and that Sony will tweak the firmware to cut the TV more slack.

Important for many affected users so I decided to create dedicated thread.
The Westy is a sweet TV otherwise, this was the only downside."

We shall see..

Thanks Sabregen for all your answers.

I am thinking that this is the best choice for right now as a TV (upgrade from a 27" mitsubishi tube) and for XBOX. The tuner will be supplied through DirecTV and I will need to upgrade to their HD plan. I wonder though if it would be better to get an outdoor antenna and an external tuner? I am somewhat dissatisfied with the HD channel offerings presently.

For my PC I will likely continue to use my 21" NEC Multisync 1250+. When SED technology gets hashed out within the next 12-24 months, I think I might buy one for TV/Xbox and switch the Westy over to my PC by then.

Ryan

Thoughts on other equipment I will need to upgrade for this Westy:

Right now I have a Classic brand combo DVD/receiver/5.1 speaker package that cost me around $250. It was my first DVD player, receiver and surround speaker purchase and it's around $5 years old. It's worked like a charm with my 27" tube. Now that I'm looking to upgrade to the Westy 37w3, I think it will be time to upgrade some of this equipment as well. Budget is definetely an issue, but I want to future proof as much as possible. Should I wait until HDMI 1.3 is fully hashed out? I'm not concerned about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray right now, and will deal with that later. Right now I've been looking at these:

DVD players: Is an Oppo DV-981HD ($229) overkill for this Westy? Should I go with the DV-971HD ($149) instead? Or even the Panny DVDS52S ($99)?

For audio, I haven't decided if I should do an all-in-one or if I should buy seperate receiver and speakers. Good sound is important to me, but budget is a major concern, so I'm looking to get the maximum discernible quality for the price. I looked at models that offered HDMI, would pair well with a Westy, and had good reviews. For all-in-one, I was thinking the Onkyo HTS894 ($720) which is 5.1. If I did seperates then I am looking at the Sony HT-7000DH ($380), SONY STR-DG1000 ($599), Onkyo TXSR604 ($449), Onkyo TXSR674S ($499), Onkyo TXSR804S ($700), Denon AVR-2307ci ($629), AVR-2807 ($1099) or 4306 ($1999). I think those last 2 are out of the question. If I go the seperates route, I will want to spend under $500 total for all my speakers, but I would be fine with a 5.1 to start, or even using some of my old speakers to start out, and adding better ones down the line.

Any help would be appreciated, particularly from those who have experience with any of these (alternative suggestions are also welcome).

Thanks,
Ryan

if you want good sound dont go all-in-ones. Best to build your own system. I got the onkyo 674 because it has the HDMI switching, it was either between the SR674 or one of the pioneer elites around the same price range. Best way to choose sound system components is to go down to a retail place and listen to them. Bring one of your favorite CDs as some of them let u pop it in to listen to em. That way you can choose from sound quality to your own ears and budget.

FACESNORTH:

SD picture quality - pretty good, this screen can do 1:1 mapping, so video is actual size, it can also stretch
use as TV - works fine, but you'll need a tuner, this is a monitor, and it doesn't have one.

When you say 1:1 mapping, video is actual size, are you saying this monitor can do 1 to 1 pixel mapping? because I thought it can only do the correct aspect ratio. If it can to 1 to 1 pixel mapping, the literal amount of pixels, that would be a bonus

Will I run into problems using my 6600 gt? If not, what would be the cheapest upgrade on a pci express card that can pump this baby?

7900gs would be minumum I would run on this screen, but that's just me. I personally think anything over 1600x1200 needs 2 cards (but I'm kinda nuts, too).[/QUOTE]

I have an old system (Athlon XP 2100+, 6600gt, 1gb ram) and I can run WoW at 25-30fps in 1920x1080 no problem. The CPU is overlocked to the level of a 2400+ so the FSB is a little higher and that helps a lot. If you are playing older games or just using it for windows, it's no problem at all.

If you want to play any of the newer games at decent resolutions you'll need a better video card (or system).

well this thread has made me take the plunge also, ordered mine from newegg.com for $1089shipped... has already shipped so should be here in a few days..

ive had the dell 2405, dell 3007, back to the 2405 and now going to give the westy 37" a go..

i got rid of the 3007 because i wanted my pc to last longer this time, the only bad thing about the 3007 is you have to stay up with the latest and greatest hardware to play the current games.. 1920x1080 should let my current pc last for quite some time

anyway just figured i would let yall know this thread made westy some more money:)

spend most of my time at ocxtreme.com, futuremark.com, and xtremesystems.com but im always browsing this one as well:D

Well I finally got it! Ordered from PCNation Fri. recieved Tues. in perfect condition. I have version 1.8 with one stuck pixel(red). My MacBook Pro via DVI1 is perfect, but my Comcast SA3250HD via either component or DVI is rather grainy and pixelated. I plan on getting a new box with hdmi, is that going to make a difference? Maybe I should invest in some new cables? Like I have read before, standard definition is definitely not fun to look at. Also, when connecting my PC (w/ x850XTPE) to DVI1 the image had horzontal lines that distorted the entire image, it eventually went away but I have no idea where it came from. Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

When you say 1:1 mapping, video is actual size, are you saying this monitor can do 1 to 1 pixel mapping? because I thought it can only do the correct aspect ratio. If it can to 1 to 1 pixel mapping, the literal amount of pixels, that would be a bonus

Um. I seriously doubt that this monitor would be as popular as it is (for computer use) if it did not do 1:1 pixel mapping.

Back