Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

hey guys thanks for all ur help with the vga sound. i bought a rca to mini stereo cable and a female adapter ($15 @ radio shack...freakin rip offs) and it works great. there is one dead pixel and I contacted Westinghouse about it and they have not replied to my email yet. Its not noticeable on the 360 or HDTV though...and only if u stare closely at the screen while connected to the PC. Overall I am very happy with it and people that come over and see it are amazed.

Outside view of my office.

IMG_2004.jpg

View of the desk

IMG_1979.jpg

Side view

IMG_2009.jpg

View from my chair

IMG_1981.jpg

Tiger Woods 07 Xbox 360 (VGA connected)

IMG_1990.jpg

More Tiger

IMG_1986.jpg

Reggie Bush on the CBS-HD 1080i (HDMI)

IMG_1999.jpg

As far as I know, only Crutchfield does that... it's why I bought it there at $1200 instead of going for slightly lower prices at other e-tailers that offered no returns.

Also PC Rush offers returns on large TVs, but they don't carry Westinghouse products if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently Cruchfield stopped carrying the 37W3. T_T

Looks like Sam's Club is the best choice.

hey guys thanks for all ur help with the vga sound. i bought a rca to mini stereo cable and a female adapter ($15 @ radio shack...freakin rip offs) and it works great. there is one dead pixel and I contacted Westinghouse about it and they have not replied to my email yet. Its not noticeable on the 360 or HDTV though...and only if u stare closely at the screen while connected to the PC. Overall I am very happy with it and people that come over and see it are amazed.

I'll reserve this spot later for the pics of the 360, HDTV, and PC inputs of the Westy. :D

Don't bother emailing them - they don't ever reply. I've been waiting almost a month now.

Yes, Crutchfield is definitely out of them. They've been out of them for, what, two months now? I got SO lucky with mine... they had it in stock for a few minutes and then I grabbed it. Must've been a return or something... but it's brand new. *shrugs*

So I am setting this up...and, can it be bad for it to be wall-mounted on a wall, that on the other side of wall, it's outside, and can be about 5 degrees F at night? Can that harm it, or will it be ok?

If you want to talk to westinghouse, CALL THEM. They take forever on email replies, and you will wait a while on the phone, but you will get good support through the phone.

I purchased the LVT-37w2 HD today and it looks great from my PC with a DVI/HDMI crossover cable. My cable television isn't so sharp with just the antenna connection. So What am i missing out on from the LVM-32w3 model? 1080i I am aware of but not even sure what that is or if my comcast cable has it.

Thanks!

Okay, let's make a little clarity here... you bought the 37w2 and you're asking the difference with a 37w3. Correct? Here are the main differences...

37w2 --- 720p, 8ms response time, built-in NTSC and HDTV tuners.
37w3 --- 1080p, 8ms response time, no TV tuner of any kind.

Technically, your w2 can do 1080i (interlaced), but not 1080p (progressive). While watching TV and playing most console games, you won't even notice the difference. EDIT: for TV use actually it's often better to use 720p: a good 720p picture is superior to a 1080i one.

The big pro to the w3 is of course its "true HD" 1080p capability. You'll appreciate this mostly if you use it with your computer (as a monitor) and if you watch HD DVDs or Blu-Ray discs, which are natively 1080p.

The big downside to the w3 is that it has no tuner at all: the 37w3 is not a TV, it's a monitor. So you need to use an external tuner (such as external cable box, satellite box, HD tuner card, VCR, etc)

Finally, "normal" cable TV, no matter if analog or digital, will never look great on an HDTV set (still pretty good though). These sets were created for very high-quality signals: feed them that, and they'll be just fine.

Hope all of this helps. :)

I am getting soo spoiled by this Westy. I'm sitting about 4.5-5 feet away from it, on the couch. From this close it's almost like staring at a movie screen. My boyfriend hooked his PC speaker system up to it so we could watch movies together. I also found an ethernet cable just long enough to reach the PC hooked up to the Westy. Now I'm not at all inclined to move it to my PC desk. Why bother when I can just lounge on the couch to play games and browse the net? As if I needed to be any lazier... I love it! :cool::cool:

this is so lame, I bought some newer Component cables, and its still doing that purple/redish sometimes blueish strip down at the bottom of my screen It actually does whatever color is in the top of the screen, its like it amplifies it... I'm gonna get some VGA cables, and I will try them, I am also having my tv replaced, but I doubt its my tv, reg xbox never did this. After I try the VGA, if it still does not work, I will replace my xbox... This is complete BS!!

this is so lame, I bought some newer Component cables, and its still doing that purple/redish sometimes blueish strip down at the bottom of my screen It actually does whatever color is in the top of the screen, its like it amplifies it... I'm gonna get some VGA cables, and I will try them, I am also having my tv replaced, but I doubt its my tv, reg xbox never did this. After I try the VGA, if it still does not work, I will replace my xbox... This is complete BS!!

This is a known problem with the Component output on the 360. It should work fine with VGA.

I agree that VGA is superior to component on this monitor. While VGA may seem a bit washed out, alot of that can be fixed via display settings. Xbox 360 component output on this set is unfixable in my opinion - the display is just waaaaaay too dark. I was testing this with GoW and some parts are completely unplayable.

The VGA cable I'm using now is a cheap one and shows ghosting due to reflections in the cable. I'll either upgrade to Microsoft's or Monster's brand and the problem will go away.

By random chance, I headed over to Newegg and did a 37 westinghouse search and there was 1 Openbox 37W3 available and I snagged it for $970.00.

Should be getting it this week, thanks to this thread it totally swayed my opinion about monitors from the 30" Dell to this beast of a LCD.

Has anyone used a vga to dvi connector with their xbox to see how it works ?? I really hate the fact that I have to use an extension to listen to audio :(... Would much rather just use a dvi extention I have and audio that way :D

Been watching this thread for a really long time.

I finally ordered mine from Mwave for $1099.

Got it 2 days ago. No dead pixels, a little blacklight coming through the lower right. But I can live with that.

Hooked to my PC and HD cable box and loving it so far. Makes my Dell 2007wfp seem so tiny.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Otherwise I would have never considered this thing. So happy I have it now.

Also, now Im running dual monitors off a single 7900gt. But I cant move video to the secondary dislpay. It just goes black with sound. I have a 6200tc I could throw in my empty PCI-E slot to have each monitor running off its own card. would this help?

Been watching this thread for a really long time.

Also, now Im running dual monitors off a single 7900gt. But I cant move video to the secondary dislpay. It just goes black with sound. I have a 6200tc I could throw in my empty PCI-E slot to have each monitor running off its own card. would this help?

Yes.

Is this a good monitor to use as a TV?Or is it only good for a PC monitor?I want to use it for my PS3 and HDTV...

Well I have been following this thread for some time now and I think today is the day I pull the trigger. Just have to wait for the wife to call me back before I goto class. I was looking at buying this sweet baby from PCNation for $1089.00 with free shipping. Should I pull the trigger? They have 3 day shipping from fedex. I know I have read other people have bought from them but I need some pushing (a ton of money). also I wanted to add their flat wall mount has anyone picked that up also? will be hooking my laptop, and 360 up until I build a new rig. I think the monitor should be picked up first.

If I wasn't in my schools library at the moment I would be screaming from joy! Just pulled the trigger from PCNation $1075 shipped with free three day shipping! I will post picks once I have it set up! Need to get the vga adaptar for the 360 and a vga to dvi cabel for my laptop.

Anyone who purchased through PCNation can you confirm what firmware came on the set. $1089 Shipped is hard to beat.

I'm torn between this set and the Olevia 537h. I know the Olevia is only 720p but from what I've read it has a better PQ than the Westy and more options, like screen aspect ratio and higher contrast. The two things the Westy has going for it are inputs and 1080p but does the 1080p really matter when sitting 8' feet away from the TV. Arrrgh! It's a tough call. It's too bad both of these LCD's are only available online and not in store where I can see them in action.

8 feet away from the tv for this monitor is too much, you will not notice any difference between it and 720p. I think they say the rating is about 7 feet for this monitor, and closer, of course you don't wanna be TOO close, bad for your eyes :p lol...

and how many times are people gonna ask if this is good for TV :p

oh and I guess no one has tried the vga-dvi adapter on their 360 yet ?

and how many times are people gonna ask if this is good for TV :p

Hmmm, looking back at my post I don't see where I asked if this was a good TV or not. Would you mind pointing out where I said that?

I know the Westinghouse is a good TV, I'm just having trouble deciding between it and the Olevia 537h.

Hmmm, looking back at my post I don't see where I asked if this was a good TV or not. Would you mind pointing out where I said that?

I know the Westinghouse is a good TV, I'm just having trouble deciding between it and the Olevia 537h.

There are myriads of HDTV's out there that will have much greater contrast and will look better for watching film than these westy lcd's. They are not bad, most computer LCD's hover around the same 1000:1 contrast ratio; but in the HDTV world there is definately nicer out there.

However, anyone serious about using an HDTV as the primary display for their daily personal computer will settle for nothing less than 1920x1080. Most persons are accustomed to browsing the web and playing games at 1280x1024 or higher on a typical pc monitor.

720p's 1366x768 resolution just doesn't quite cut the mustard for most of us. Also keep in mind that at that lower resolution everything will appear even more "big" and the pixel pitch will be consideraly higher.

If you want 1080p and high contrast, well then be prepaid to spend several times more money. I would want a higher contrast, but in my budget I wouldn't consider any other display.

I know $1100 for 1080p is an excellent deal, but I'm just wondering how good the image quality, color rendering, etc. are, esp when you consider there are a couple 1080p sets on the market with 10:000:1 contrast ratios, etc.

Can anyone comment on image quality compared with other 1080p displays or other LCD monitors (Dell, Samsung, etc.)?

Thank you.

I wasn't referring to you genius... I said its good FOR TV, not a good tv, read back a few posts...

There are myriads of HDTV's out there that will have much greater contrast and will look better for watching film than these westy lcd's. They are not bad, most computer LCD's hover around the same 1000:1 contrast ratio; but in the HDTV world there is definately nicer out there.

However, anyone serious about using an HDTV as the primary display for their daily personal computer will settle for nothing less than 1920x1080. Most persons are accustomed to browsing the web and playing games at 1280x1024 or higher on a typical pc monitor.

720p's 1366x768 resolution just doesn't quite cut the mustard for most of us. Also keep in mind that at that lower resolution everything will appear even more "big" and the pixel pitch will be consideraly higher.

If you want 1080p and high contrast, well then be prepaid to spend several times more money. I would want a higher contrast, but in my budget I wouldn't consider any other display.

Well, unlike most of the people here I plan on using this set for watching TV, movies and playing games in my living room. This will not be used as a PC monitor. So, if having 1920x1080 resolution will benefit my viewing experience when watching movies or playing games then I'll go that route. My entertainment center has a 38" opening for a TV so I'm pretty much limited to a 37" lcd otherwise I would have gone bigger.

alright - thinking about jumpin on the westy bandwagon...

any tips on where the best prices are right now?

Back