Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Well guys, I pulled the trigger on the 42W2.
BuyDig had free shipping on this and it cost me $1,352. And it was two day shipping!!!! It's set to deliver here today.

I have to buy a new video card for my computer to work with it. But once it does, I'll post some pics!

Does anyone offer a zero dead pixel policy on this monitor? My guess would be no, I really want to buy this but I don't have any local stores that carry it so I could return it and I'm completely anal about dead pixels and backlight bleed. What about any companies offering in-home extended repair warranties as having to ship this thing out for repair wouldn't exactly be cheap or convenient?

so does it actually have bad blacks and leakage/bleeding? This is one of the main reasons why im not buying it right now

you are asking if another monitor at the same price would be better than the westinghouse in a thread that has over 100 pages dedicated to the westinghouse... i dont think youll get an unbiased opinion here :) try to find threads about that monitor, i would say if you cant find 100+ page threads on avs, anandtech or here about it that the westinghouse is probably better as most here consider it THE 37" computer monitor to get

so does it actually have bad blacks and leakage/bleeding? This is one of the main reasons why im not buying it right now
Black levels are on par with pretty much any other LCD in this category. And don't be fooled that you'll get much better black levels on some 3000:1 or 5000:1 contrast ratio monitors: those are pretty much dynamic contrast ratios and the difference wouldn't be appreciable. Overall, black performance here is as good/bad as it gets for an LCD.

EDIT: I have no backlight bleeding whatsoever

Well guys, I pulled the trigger on the 42W2.
BuyDig had free shipping on this and it cost me $1,352. And it was two day shipping!!!! It's set to deliver here today.

I have to buy a new video card for my computer to work with it. But once it does, I'll post some pics!
Can't wait to hear how it goes. I am getting one this week too. Looks like the price went up over at BuyDig. I will prolly buy from somewhere else. Please post pictures and impressions!

I just sent back my Dell 24" monitor. They sent me an A03 version of their monitor and not the A04 monitor that is their latest one. Not cool at all. I was about to pony the cash up again to get the latest version, but I just so happen to see this thread.

Wow. Why the heck would I pay between $650 and $800 for a Dell 24" Monitor with crappy inputs when I can pay @ $1000 for a 37" Monitor with built in speakers, great composite, component, 2 DVI and 1 HDMI inputs? How I just have to talk the wife into letting me spend the cash!

Daines1

Does anyone offer a zero dead pixel policy on this monitor? My guess would be no, I really want to buy this but I don't have any local stores that carry it so I could return it and I'm completely anal about dead pixels and backlight bleed. What about any companies offering in-home extended repair warranties as having to ship this thing out for repair wouldn't exactly be cheap or convenient?

Well to give you an idea on how WH is on dead pixels, I've emailed them about 4-6 days ago about a stuck pixel and they haven't even emailed me back. Didn't even say yes no..anything.

Well to give you an idea on how WH is on dead pixels, I've emailed them about 4-6 days ago about a stuck pixel and they haven't even emailed me back. Didn't even say yes no..anything.

I emailed them about the same time ago and havent received anything back from them either. just fyi

Have any of your Westy owners noticed any form of tearing during video's or FPS games? Honestly ghosting doesn't bother me that much (I'm glad the W3 doesn't have any) but I simply cannot stand tearing.

Overall, black performance here is as good/bad as it gets for an LCD.

EDIT: I have no backlight bleeding whatsoever

No backlight bleeding would be amazing, that would mean you have a 0nit black level. Bleeding is the term for light coming evenly though the panel causing a non 0nit black level. If the bleeding is uneven, that is a defect. If there is light leaking out around the edges of the bezel onto the screen, that is a defect.

All LCDs have backlight bleed at this point in time. The black levels of the westy are about as poor as black levels get on an LCD of any type (TV or monitor) I have measured budget PC LCD monitors that have about half the bleed of what the westy has. But this is still a very good display, and worth the money :)

No backlight bleeding would be amazing, that would mean you have a 0nit black level. Bleeding is the term for light coming evenly though the panel causing a non 0nit black level. If the bleeding is uneven, that is a defect. If there is light leaking out around the edges of the bezel onto the screen, that is a defect.

All LCDs have backlight bleed at this point in time. The black levels of the westy are about as poor as black levels get on an LCD of any type (TV or monitor) I have measured budget PC LCD monitors that have about half the bleed of what the westy has. But this is still a very good display, and worth the money :)

thats what i mean. Light leakage.

Does anyone else have a comment on this?

for the people who were asking if j&r had shipped any of these monitors on orders made last week i can tell you mine shipped today. it still does not show up on their site, but i called tonight and asked them about it.

thats what i mean. Light leakage.

Does anyone else have a comment on this?

Well, I just made the switch from a CRT with an infinite contrast ratio to this monitor, and while there is some backlight bleed (never seen a LCD without some) it is unnoticeable (TO ME) unless you are in a totally dark room. Having said that, when in a totally dark room, you can turn the backlight down, and get much improvement.

I've seen two panels from the same manufacturer and model number have different amounts of backlight bleed. Therefore, I can't gurarantee you satisfaction. The people who are commenting about the W3 saying the black levels are "as poor as black levels get on lcd's of any type" has not observed a large enough sample of W3's to be statistically significant IMO, and should not make summary statements about an entire model based on incomplete data.

My advice- go see one in person. Turn the backlight down to the 50-40 range where you will eventually use it. Take the input loose (or switch to an unused input), and see if the bleed is a problem for you.

maccc1.jpg

yeah, it's on my kitchen table. It was supposed to be here for a couple days, but dang, refrigerator to my left and TV to my right. Who'd want to leave that?

The people who are commenting about the W3 saying the black levels are "as poor as black levels get on lcd's of any type" has not observed a large enough sample of W3's to be statistically significant IMO, and should not make summary statements about an entire model based on incomplete data.

My advice- go see one in person. Turn the backlight down to the 50-40 range where you will eventually use it. Take the input loose (or switch to an unused input), and see if the bleed is a problem for you.

The people you speak of would be me. There are dozens/hundreds of comments here and at avsforums specifically regarding the black levels of this set that support my empirical evidence. Panel bleed might vary a few percent between different sets... but if it's more than that, then that is a major quality control issue that needs to be discussed. Backlight bleed on this panel is significant. Fact.
My data is as complete as it needs to be for discussion in this topic. Setting the bar as high as you stated means that nobody would have anything to say about this set, and we'd be sitting at one reply for all eternity because nobody has seen a statistically significant number other than the QC people at Westinghouse Digital. If you've got conflicting measurements, then post about them and disagree with me. But you are not disagreeing or posting numbers; You are calling into question my methods and judgement, so I will defend them.

I do agree that everyone should test the unit for themselves and decide, and have said exactly that more than once on this forum for this particular subject. But I want people who's only option is to buy this set sight unseen to be aware of the Westys flaws. And the backlight bleed is unquestionably a major one.

can someone take some pics of a black screen? (i know it will be overexposed)

Shot with flash for reference

No Signal: Panel on - Backlight 20, Brightness 42
This appears a bit brighter than reality.
Reference to photo below with same exposure but with panel off.

Panel off
Exposure identical to above picture, just with the panel off.

The panel bleed is exagerrated by the camera in my photos posted above. I'll mock up something that approximates reality as best as I can.

This is closer, though maybe a little optimistic :)
backlight_bleed_simulated.jpg

My 3 month old 37W3 is up for sale for $950 obo WITH 5 yr extended RepairTech warranty.

If interested, please PM me for details/feedback, etc.
Frag

I understand Ryom's perspective. he's critical, but he always caps it off with

But this is still a very good display, and worth the money

And thats important. I personally see no issue with the Blacks. But I have a less than discerning eye, probably. regardless, The Westy 37", at this price point, is as good as it gets!

I absolutely LOVE mine, and am truely grateful I stumbled onto this thread a few months ago. I was going to get a Dell 24" widescreen. But for just a few hundred more, I got my Westy. This thing BLOWS away anything for it's price. It may not be perfect, but honestly, you are pretty hard pressed to find an LCD that is. Tech will get better, and then, yes, but today, for $1k-1200...THIS THING CAN'T be beat, for me

So I respect those that are really into it, and critique it. Videophiles, if you will. They have every right to have passion for what turns them on. Hell, even most of the tech 's I work with think I'm a fool to spend the cash I do on my gear. they buy stock dell pcs, and are the type of IT techs that say..." I spend all day at a PC, last thing I want to do when i go home is be on a PC" Well, not me. I spend most of my Free time at my pc. gaming, reading forums, etc. My passion, like the old gear heads with their cars, is my PC. And having looked at the Dell / Apple 30" , I chose the Westy, for to me, with my usage habits, It Smokes them all!

Pics will go up Wednesday or Thursday. I got my new Ikea Jerker in today, thanks to the Personal Shopper I found in San Diego ! I'll set that up tomorrow. And my new Maingear F131 is due to deliver Wednesday, so my whole new PC station is ALL NEW, and Im stoked. And the Display...My New Westy! RAR!

I have been given permission to pick up one of the two last computer upgrades I will be able to make for along time. The other will have to be saved up for until I can foot the bill. Here are my two options:

1) Westinghouse 37" 37w3 monitor - I am currently using a Samsung 19" LCD. I recently returned a Dell 24" because of issues I had with it and since then I discovered this thread. I am extremely excited of the possibility of picking up this monitor.

2) AMD X2 4800+ CPU - I am currently running AMD Athlon 64 3500+. This will be one of my last CPU upgrades in a while since I am still using a AGP motherboard. I have recently purchased the ATI X1950 Pro video card for my system so upgrading the motherboard is out of the question for now. I have 2gigs of Ram and my system is great overall. I just feel that the CPU is bottlenecking my systems when I play games like Oblivion and even WOW at the highest settings. This processor has been discontinued but is still a hot commodity.

So what would you all suggest? I think I will be able to get both at some point in the future but I have to make a decision as to which one I will purchase first. Since the 4800+ is discontinued, I figured I should get that one first since it will only become more difficult to find and also more expensive to buy. I am also concerned that when I am finally able to buy the Westy 37" it could be discontinued or difficult to find.

I understand this is a Display thread, but if you were in my shoes which path would you choose first?

Daines1

it may be difficult to play your games at 1920x 1080 if your games are already lagging at 12xx X whatever. However, you can always get an opteron 165 and overclock it to 4800+ speeds in the future, so the fact that a 4800+ is discontinued should not bother you. (The opteron 165 is also dual core, exactly like the 4800+ simply cheaper and lower clocked) I keep hearing that the westinghouse 37" is going to stop being made in the next 2 months because of what CES showed this year. If you want this monitor I would buy it now and get the opteron 165 (it's around $150) later. Right now newegg has the westinghouse for 1100 shipped which is the best deal around currently. J&R last week had the monitor for 1100 shipped but now it is 1200 + shipping, so I would jump on this newegg deal now.

FYI - www.samsclub.com has it for 1049.99. I figure I'd get it there so if there were any dead pixels I would have a better time returning it.

As for overclocking, are there any special things I would need to speed up the processor. (e.g., would I need a better fan than the stock fan?)

Good points by the way.

Daines1

it may be difficult to play your games at 1920x 1080 if your games are already lagging at 12xx X whatever. However, you can always get an opteron 165 and overclock it to 4800+ speeds in the future, so the fact that a 4800+ is discontinued should not bother you. (The opteron 165 is also dual core, exactly like the 4800+ simply cheaper and lower clocked) I keep hearing that the westinghouse 37" is going to stop being made in the next 2 months because of what CES showed this year. If you want this monitor I would buy it now and get the opteron 165 (it's around $150) later. Right now newegg has the westinghouse for 1100 shipped which is the best deal around currently. J&R last week had the monitor for 1100 shipped but now it is 1200 + shipping, so I would jump on this newegg deal now.

what is ces ?

FYI - www.samsclub.com has it for 1049.99. I figure I'd get it there so if there were any dead pixels I would have a better time returning it.

As for overclocking, are there any special things I would need to speed up the processor. (e.g., would I need a better fan than the stock fan?)

Good points by the way.

Daines1

most can hit at least 2.6 with their stock heatsink/fan (i believe a 4800+ is 2.4 or 2.6)
You'll just need to watch the temperature of the cpu, check for stability with orthos or prime95 and make sure you do not adjust the voltage too much (if you want to raise it at all)

make sure your local sams has the monitor, mine didnt. after tax and shipping costs if you have to have it shipped from sams, the newegg deal would be much better. i agree with you though, the extended warranty from sams/ability to return it there is a nice option which i dont have since i bought mine through j&r last week (comes thurs so i dont know if mine will have any dead pixels yet)

Just bought the 42" model today. I am pretty excited. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Paid $1375 with free 2-3 day shipping from PCNation. I called my order in and told him I wanted to get the TV soon so I could watch the SuperBowl on it. The sales guy ask me who I was rooting for and I told him the Bears. He said good choice and told me he would make sure that it shipped out by noon. PCNation is based in Chicago ;)

[H]ump;1030563874 said:
am i mistaken or is the 42" not 1080?
The 42" is 1080p just like like the 37". It is actually identical to the 37" just larger for a little over $200 more.

The 42" is 1080p just like like the 37". It is actually identical to the 37" just larger for a little over $200 more.

waiting on my 42 also! *twiddles thumbs*

I should start a Got my Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" 1080p display today! thread when I get it :)

Wow! Right after I place my order on PCNation the price went back up a bit on it. From $1375 to $1398. I guess I bought it on the last day of the sale.

Back