Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Why would you buy a HDTV, let alone a 1080p television, to watch standard definition cable on it.. :confused: If you absolutely wanted to watch standard def tv on the westy, just output from the RCA cables on the back of your cable box to the Westy.

That is indeed Morrowind. I still play it now and again, even do a bit of modding.

As for getting a standard def TV signal on the Westy, use your VCR if you have one. Plug the cable in the VCR, then plug the VCR into the Westy using the RCA/composite cables. This monitor does not have coax inputs so if your VCR only has coax output you'll have to figure something else out.

Hi,
Also I am reading that the Westy doesn't have a TV tuner built in. I only subscribe through basic cable and don't have a set-top cable box. On my current TV, I just plug in a cable into the RF jack and auto-program it from the TV menu. What type of device would I need to watch standard TV on the Westy?

Seeing as you don't have a Cable box, you'd have to use a VCR it input the TV signal and then connect it to the Westy via Composite Cables (The Yellow, Red, White ones) or S-Video in the Back. Or maybe you can ask your Cable provider for one of the Digital upgrades and get the HD Channels.

man J&R is really pissing me off. I ordered Wednesday, and it still hasn't shipped!!! I can't wait! Seeing all these sweet setups is making me so jealous!!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking for an HDTV because I just got a PS3. The TV is going to be mainly be for gaming and movie watching. I'll probably also hook my computer up to it as well.

It would be nice to be able to watch TV as well without upgrading my service. TV watching won't be the primary use. I have a VCR in another room so I might just go with that.

That is indeed Morrowind. I still play it now and again, even do a bit of modding.

As for getting a standard def TV signal on the Westy, use your VCR if you have one. Plug the cable in the VCR, then plug the VCR into the Westy using the RCA/composite cables. This monitor does not have coax inputs so if your VCR only has coax output you'll have to figure something else out.
I use a cheap Sylvania DVD recorder for the same purpose. SDTV looks as good as it could on an HD LCD.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I had a few questions about this display. Is there a headphone-out jack on it? Can I plug in headphones?
Audio out, IIRC, is only through RCA. You can buy a $1 RCA-to-stereo jack adapter to which to plug in your headphones. Out of curiosity, though: why would you want to do that? Audio is really nothing to write home about on this set. Best to use external speakers.

Some people need to use headsets during certain times of the days. i would use audio out as well if I could...

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I had a few questions about this display. Is there a headphone-out jack on it? Can I plug in headphones?

Also I am reading that the Westy doesn't have a TV tuner built in. I only subscribe through basic cable and don't have a set-top cable box. On my current TV, I just plug in a cable into the RF jack and auto-program it from the TV menu. What type of device would I need to watch standard TV on the Westy?

Thanks.
monitor does have audio out although its like the back of your pc...the jacks on the westy r bigger...as far as a tuner...you need a cable box from your cable company...basic wont work...and if you have to have a box...might as well spend the few extra dollars a month and get an HD one

i liked Morrowind, it felt more free than oblivion did. Nothing like getting giant, titan, and dragon mods for morrowind and fighting them in the air with levitate. I was disappointed that you couldnt levitate in Oblivion.

Thanks for the replies.
It would be nice to be able to watch TV as well without upgrading my service. TV watching won't be the primary use. I have a VCR in another room so I might just go with that.

Well you could wait til Apr. for the TX Series of Westy's they'll All have tuners in them.
http://www.hwhpr.com/pr/westinghouse/CES07/TX_1080p.html
Sadly there's no 37" in those but the Specs are better since the Contrast Ratio goes from 1000:1(for the 37W3 and 42W2) to 5000:1 (TX-42). Maybe they'll make one later on.

My Friends!

And all the new comers to this thread! 106 pages and going strong! HAHA :eek:

What occasionally gets lost in this thread, is the fact that it was started, and for the most remains so, that we, geeks of the world, incessantly searching the next greatest thing in Tech, bleeding edge, found this MONITOR ( pls stop referring to it as a TV, it isn't, TV's have tuners, this doesn't. ) is JUST perfectly huge enough, to use as a PC Display! THAT"S the joy here!

Yes, you can connect a TV signal and watch TV. Yes, you ca connect a Xbox360, PS3, Wiii, whatever, and have all those devices display on this Monitor

BUT THE JOY of GEEKDOM with the Westy is that it IS AN AMAZING Desktop Display.

Personally, for my PC usage habits, it IS BETTER than the Dell or Apple 30". I LIKE that the display is a little larger, and easier to read without having to lean in to see chat in game, etc. The Colors in Game, or watching streaming content from the Web are Amazing. The real estate offered in 37" of 1920x1080 goodness is BOGGLING!

If you are looking for a TV, this may NOT be for you. But if you are looking for something that is comparably priced to the other highest end PC Displays, we that have this gem, suggest you consider it. IT ROCKS!

I couldn't care less what SD looks like on it, etc. Not to discredit those questions etc, but folks, take a few hours and actually read all the information in this thread! THERE IS A SHIT TON OF IT! I bought the Westy for my Desktop, and I couldn't be happier! It is a SHOWSTOPPER! When people come into my house and see it, their MINDS ARE BLOWN! It is literally over the top in amazingness! And yes, I /flex proudly when they see it, I watch their jaws drop, and squirm with envy! :D

Bwahahahaha! Enjoy it! It is the purest form of Hedonisim in Displays at this price point!

This monitor is indeed over the top! But you could say the 30" displays are, too, and this is just a little step up from those. I'm glad mine has extra functionality as a console gaming display, and not just for the consoles with VGA hookups. Last night before I went to sleep, I spent some time watching the Milkdrop winamp vis, and some of my screensavers. Everything seems so fascinating when put on a screen so much larger than any screen I've used before. I suddenly want to play a lot more console games now, since I can actually see what's going on (gamed on a 20" crt before). It's amazing how that works out, isn't it? :p

Even my boyfriend, who is not in the habit of spending money, who was convinced 37" would be too large as a PC monitor, wants one for himself. He even felt the need to call Westinghouse customer support to rave about how good it is. I think that is a good idea, we should all do that and encourage them to keep making things like this, 1080p displays that can be used as a gaming TV or a PC monitor. I think a 32" model of the same would be good, too, for people who can't spare the extra 5 inches. After all, what are we going to buy when the 37w3 gets old? I dread having to go back to something smaller in a few years.

And to think I was considering spending $700 on the Acer 24" monitor! I'm so very glad I didn't. It's getting harder and harder to keep my promise not to move it to my desk until my boyfriend gets an HDTV for console gaming. :p I just hope no one else in my apartment building sees my setup. To any non-geek, I know I look like a freaking millionaire with the Westy and my other stuff. :D

Dang it! I finally make the decision to buy this set and JR.com removes the free shipping. Still a good buy I guess...maybe I'll buy at Sam's Club instead. It would be about $50 more when you include shipping and tax. However, if they have a better return policy it may be worth it. What do you guys think?

id go with sams, if they had it available at the time i tried to purchase i would have gone with them... im not going to be happy if jr.com cancells my order or tries to charge me shipping charges now that theyve changed this

What's $50 more when you're spending $1000+ after all? If they do have a better return policy, I'd say go for it.

Needless to say, this monitor will go for extremely low prices the day the new TX series comes out. By then (r)etailers will have only a handful of these left and they'll be eager to sell----but who wants to wait till April? :p

Well you could wait til Apr. for the TX Series of Westy's they'll All have tuners in them.
http://www.hwhpr.com/pr/westinghouse/CES07/TX_1080p.html
Sadly there's no 37" in those but the Specs are better since the Contrast Ratio goes from 1000:1(for the 37W3 and 42W2) to 5000:1 (TX-42). Maybe they'll make one later on.

The 5000:1 is obviously a dynamic contrast ratio, which should not be compared to the static 1000:1 contrast ratio of the 37W3. I don't see a whole lot of improvement in the specs, other than the addition of a tuner which is marginal and of little importance to the majority of the people who buy this type of monitor. They'll either be using it for a PC display, or the display of a HD cable box, or HD satellite box, g­áme system, or Bluray/HDDVD player- none of which will make any use of the tuner.

Dang it! I finally make the decision to buy this set and JR.com removes the free shipping. Still a good buy I guess...maybe I'll buy at Sam's Club instead. It would be about $50 more when you include shipping and tax. However, if they have a better return policy it may be worth it. What do you guys think?
you should do it! Buy two of them...dl ultramon..and run em both! and never leave your house again! :D :D :D

The 5000:1 is obviously a dynamic contrast ratio, which should not be compared to the static 1000:1 contrast ratio of the 37W3. I don't see a whole lot of improvement in the specs, other than the addition of a tuner which is marginal and of little importance to the majority of the people who buy this type of monitor. They'll either be using it for a PC display, or the display of a HD cable box, or HD satellite box, g!áme system, or Bluray/HDDVD player- none of which will make any use of the tuner.

Thanks for that info that helps me a bit on my choices. I'm still looking at the 42W2. I'll have my HTPC & X360 with HD DVD Drive on it. But when the time comes and I can't get a 42W2 I'll settle for a TX-42. I want to keep the price as low as possible. Who knows how the prices will be come Sept.

buying a nice set now is like buying computer hardware now. its always going to get cheaper. well, except for ram...

It's not the best comparison, for the only reason that hardware price goes down pretty steadily over time, whereas the price of electronics is fairly "volatile" and depends upon factors other than time from release date and the availability of new models.

For computer hardware, the Golden Rule is "buy whenever you need," no exceptions. For monitors and TV there are better and worse times, and I agree that now is NOT a good time to buy a super set. It's why I got this beautiful Westy instead of the 50"+ panel I want and need.

XPC has the 37W3 for $1035 right now. I know a couple of people on this thread said they bought from them and were happy with them. Their Shipping isn't over priced either I noticed. Just thought I'd pass this along if there were others that still wanted one.
Here's the link:
http://www.xpcgear.com/lvm37w3.html

For anyone who hasn't got one of these things yet, I must stress that you should run, not walk, to the nearest e-tailer to get one. ;) I almost wish I'd put my money down on this monitor first instead of my Conroe gaming rig. I haven't seen a picture yet that really does this monitor justice. Picture quality is outstanding, and running a PC on it is slightly insane, but boy, does it make games fun to play! This is also my first widescreen monitor, and now my Sony monitor seems so...square. I can't wait to pass it off to my boyfriend and get the Westy on my desk where it belongs. ;)

Only drawbacks are fair black performance, I'd say about on par with the Sony HS95P monitor I've been using for the last 2 years, and slight ghosting, which for me is only noticeable with scrolling text, and even then it's not hard to read the text. I haven't calibrated it yet, though, but my boyfriend keeps messing with my settings, so why bother right now?

Got some more pics taken last night. As I said, I haven't seen a picture yet that really shows this display off, mine included. Colors are much more vibrant and the picture is as sharp as your source will allow. Playing games on this thing is a dream. Pardon the ghetto setup I have atm. ;)

Where did you get that African Cichlids wallpaper? I love it!!

I'm a fish keeper myself, those three fishes in the left with light/dark blue stripes are "Demasoni", they're extremely aggressive, definitely will chew up those yellow labs and the rest of the fishy in that tank! LOL

That looks like a screensaver, not a wallpaper, if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to know what it is, myself. Beautiful colors.

Where did you get that African Cichlids wallpaper? I love it!!

I'm a fish keeper myself, those three fishes in the left with light/dark blue stripes are "Demasoni", they're extremely aggressive, definitely will chew up those yellow labs and the rest of the fishy in that tank! LOL

claudione314 is right, it's a screensaver called Dream Aquarium. Unlike a lot of aquarium screen savers, this one focuses on freshwater fish. It looks incredible on any monitor but of course on the Westy it is breathtaking! I haven't paid for a screensaver in about 6 years but I paid the $20 for the full version of this one. Not a fish owner myself, so I think this is a good substitute, especially if I can have the Demasoni and yellow lab cichlids in a tank together without worrying about fish carcasses. ;)

wow thanks tygirwulf!!! such a awesome screen saver, tho im a cheap guy so ill live with the trial version lol.

XPC has the 37W3 for $1035 right now. I know a couple of people on this thread said they bought from them and were happy with them. Their Shipping isn't over priced either I noticed. Just thought I'd pass this along if there were others that still wanted one.
Here's the link:
http://www.xpcgear.com/lvm37w3.html

"Please Note: LCDs and Monitors are Non-Refundable and Non-Replaceable. All warranties and replacements are handled by the manufacturer."

Still Like I said others have used them and had no probs just throwing another somewhat lowpriced avenue out there.

I would really like to know that too. There's no mention of this on the manual. Of course, it's as crappy as manuals come...

Anybody knows?

You can either use the "Print Screen" button from your keyboard to take single shot, paste it onto word or text document then extract it later, Or...you can use FRAPS to capture as many screen shots or clips as you want.

how tall/short can you adjust the stand? im trying to figure out how to alter my desk so that i sit about 4 feet away from this monitor and how tall i can make the stand will be a factor

Hi, awesome pics. Im very envious, I want this monitor and Im so very close to clicking the 'Place Order' button but theres a few things I gotta know.. Im convinced now that it looks awesome on PC games and the fact that you can adjust the picture to display 4:3 for all those that dont support 16:9 is just FRICKEN AWESOME... But I have a nintendo wii that will be hooked up by YPbPr component cables to this thing and I was wondering if the 480i gamecube games (that will be played on Wii) are going to look like crap or is it possible that the image will improve slightly due to it being input by component? (or maybe it can be adjusted?)

And second of all..... WHAT HORRIBLE BLACKS??? judging from the pics, it looks awesome.. Im not quite sure why this is an issue.. is it not black enough for some people? lol...

Jared701: The stand is not adjustable at all, unless I'm a complete idiot. It's about 3 or 4 inches tall.

Black performance is better than I thought it was, when I said it was on par with my Sony monitor. I don't know what I was thinking, lol. I loaded up one of my favorite photos I've taken on the Westy, and it looks so much better. Blacks are more rich, the orange is deeper and more vibrant, even the grain of stone in the picture seems more clear and detailed. All this and my display is not at all calibrated. I might post a 1080p version of this photo sometime since 1080p wallpapers seem to be rather scarce.

As for the Wii, don't quote me on this, but I read that Gamecube games on the Wii hooked up to component cables can be played in progressive scan mode. I don't know for sure, since I don't have Wii component cables.

Games in 480i look about as good as they can on an LCD in 480i (admittedly I have not played console games on LCDs much before) though everything looks a little blurred or fuzzy, and small details can be lost because of that. I would reckon non-progressive GC games would look a little better than most PS2 games, because PS2 games don't usually have anti-aliasing, making them both jagged and slightly blurry. Overall I'd definitely prefer playing games on the Westy than on my old TV, even if I do see the jaggies better on the Westy.

And second of all..... WHAT HORRIBLE BLACKS??? judging from the pics, it looks awesome.. Im not quite sure why this is an issue.. is it not black enough for some people? lol...

A picture will not accurately represent the black level unless the photographer specifically exposes for that. This panel has significant backlight bleed, about 10% luminance when displaying RGB 0,0,0. You'll find lots of LCDs with black levels way better than the Westy. Its still a good monitor though, but blacks are its weakness.

This would be more like what you would see:
img4653it6_levels.jpg

Back