Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Mwave's warranty is around 350 for onsite fixing, but this does not start until the manufacture's warranty is gone, so if my screen is messed up after it is shipped to me I would still have to ship it back to mwave or westinghouse. Do you guys feel the warranty is worth it?
350 is high in my book....i paid 89 for 3 years(bought mine from crutchfield)....its not done in house...but i could care less where or who fixes it

yeah, 350 seemed high to me too... i only liked it b/c if it did break i would not have to pay 100 in shipping costs to send it somewhere to be worked on

just ordered from jr.com... hopefully it arrives safely.
never ordered a monitor this expensive before so i really hope this goes smoothly

dsc017038ii.jpg

Just got it in today with 1 red stuck sub-pixel, but it killed my shitty desk after I took the picture.. I heard a loud CRACK and the desk split right down the middle so I ran and grabbed the thing (which is a behemoth) and put it on the ground.

Now I have to buy a platform to stage this monster on. Great monitor though!

Just got it in today with 0 dead pixels, but it killed my shitty desk after I took the picture.. I heard a loud CRACK and the desk split right down the middle so I ran and grabbed the thing (which is a behemoth) and put it on the ground.

Now I have to buy a platform to stage this monster on. Great monitor though!

ROFL, very funny. Damn you and your 0 dead pixels though. I have one dim one that you can only see on black.

Fuck..

I got one stuck pixel that's red, right near the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Only shows up in blacks though. I wonder how to get rid of it :\

^^^^ try rubbing the dead pixel.. many times the pixel becomes unstuck.

so did windows install drivers for the monitor automatically when you plugged it in ?
yes, recognized it right away no drivers needed. works flawless. i did change the resolution to 1080 on my computer before i hooked this up tho.

Just got mine. :D Picked it up at the freight center since we have a friend visiting with his pickup. My friend and bf are playing Halo2 on it right now. They were playing last night on my old 20 inch CRT, so this is quite a big step up. It looks incredible! I think I'll keep it hooked up as a gaming TV until my bf can pick up my mom's 30" sony hd crt. I can't get over how nice it looks, I'm just thrilled...

I have the 1.8 firmware version. No stuck pixels that I can see, but it's really hard to examine the TV when people are playing Halo split screened. I'm content to just watch for now. :p Mostly because I can't make up my mind what to play first.

I got one stuck pixel that's red, right near the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Only shows up in blacks though. I wonder how to get rid of it :\
As has been said, rub it, not too firmly and not too gently. Do not use your finger to rub it! Wrap your finger in some microfiber cloth. Those used to clean lenses/glasses are okay. Apply firm pressure and rub it for a few seconds.

If it still hasn't disappeared, google Dead Pixel Tester and download it. It has a tool called Stuck Pixel Exerciser. Basically it flashes the primary colors really quickly. Many people rub the pixel with their finger+cloth WHILE the Exerciser is running. Didn't work for me (my stuck pixel is almost invisible so who cares), but it does for many.

but if it upconverted would it not automatically fit the native resolution... I read somewhere it just takes the res put into, and displays it on a 1080 res, but does not upconvert anything. Your link just says "displayed as" I believe all that means is, displayed in a 1920x1080 resolution, and not upconverting. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, I love learning. Thats what I "know".

Course we only know what we know because of others ;).

Just recieved my 37" (the other 6 I had previously had were at work) and when I turned it on I see white "blotches" in the bottom right corner when viewing full black.

Uh... I can only see them with full black, looks like something pressed against the LCD for too long in shipping?

Any idea if this is something that can be fixed or am I going to have to ship it to Westinghouse and wait months for a replacement?

Of course, 6 at work and the 1 I get here looks to be damaged. I don't think I can pull a switcheroo considering they are already mounted high up.

Anyone have some opinons on which connection looks better with a cable reciever; I have tried both and I'm not sure which one looks better yet; component or HDMI. Anyone try them both, if so what were your observations ?

Man, I've always heard you get the same quality from both, just one shows 1080i, and other is able to show p. Since you're not gonna be getting 1080p from your cable, I wouldn't worry about it. Course I'm sure someone has another opinion. I honestly cant tell the difference myself.

If you have something else to use the HDMI for, I say use it instead. Like PS3 or HD-DVD drive... or bluray, whatever...

HDMI will offer the best possible picture as it is digital versus components analog signal. Don't worry about using up the only HDMI port as you can always use the other two DVI ports as HDMI ports with a change cable converter from monoprice.com.

Noticeably though, can you honestly tell a difference between the component and HDMI for the cable box...

I know I can't... Of course because HDMI is digital, you will get the "best"... But good point with the worry about HDMI usage... I don't think sometimes ;)

but if it upconverted would it not automatically fit the native resolution... I read somewhere it just takes the res put into, and displays it on a 1080 res, but does not upconvert anything. Your link just says "displayed as" I believe all that means is, displayed in a 1920x1080 resolution, and not upconverting. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, I love learning. Thats what I "know".

Course we only know what we know because of others ;).

The Westinghouse specification page specifically says that the following processing is done:

Video Processing

Progressive Scan
Aspect Ratio Conversion
CCS (Cross Color Suppressor)
3D Noise Reduction
PIP
Inverse 3:2 Pulldown
Freezing Picture
3D Video Processing
3D Comb Filter

As far as the 1080i deinterlacing/frame doubling there are comments that it doesn't do it well, but IMO this monitor was meant for 1080p. The folks with cable boxes that only output 1080i can always get a DSP to sit between the cable box and W3, or else get a cable box that does the upconversion internally. Otherwise you should be able to set the cable box to output 720P, which does not require deinterlacing, and does not suffer from the same processing *problem* as it only has to be scaled.

Again, IMO, this monitor is best suited to be a PC display- where it can be fed its native resolution and frame rate. If you are really, really worried about how well it deinterlaces a 1080i signal, maybe another monitor would be a better match.

ugh... I hope all of that was not meant for me ;)... I have the monitor...

What part was extraneous? you claim the monitor does no processing, and it clearly says it does on the manufacturers website. Have you tried setting your cable box to output 720P? have you used a separate DSP?

The part that was "extraneous" was the last part... I have the TV, and I have messed around with everything on this tv. I was just stating things, I in no way am a fucking videophile I do not keep up with every damn new thing that might be. I was stating I have read somewhere on the net, and for anyone who has otherwise show it.

Please do not approach me with a shitty attitude.

Thats BS.... This thing ghosts... It will do it on games, and movies... Mainly movies that have a lot of camera moving. The games ghost fairly bad, and will make you not wanna play them after a while... Or you may just get used to them...
You're claiming here that this monitor is categorically bad because you are having a bad experience. This is misleading people who read this thread looking for facts.

The part that was "extraneous" was the last part... I have the TV, and I have messed around with everything on this tv. I was just stating things, I in no way am a fucking videophile I do not keep up with every damn new thing that might be. I was stating I have read somewhere on the net, and for anyone who has otherwise show it.

Please do not approach me with a shitty attitude.

Well, some people come here for help, others only to complain. If I had any question about which you are, you just answered it.
You asked for information, I provided it. You have a ghosting problem, I believe you. You either have tried to set the XBOX360 to output at 720P to see if that fixes the problem, or you have not. If you don't want my help, fine. If pointing out facts pisses you off, fine.
NEXT!

My posting here should not mislead anyone. I'm one out of possibly one hundred people that is having ONE slight problem with his monitor. There are 101 freaking pages on this monitor, I've been here since the beginning posting along. If anyone wants my opinion on this monitor I say get it, however, mine is faulty.

I have tried 720p via cable, I do not have a 360. I will have a 360 soon. If your way of helping is by approaching people like an asshole I do not want your help. There are plenty of people on these forums that are well interested in this ghosting problem I am having and am looking also for a reason. Honestly, if you were interested in helping you would have read more posts from me than "its ghosting, theres a problem" I have posted all my setups.

Thank you for your assisting, but find another way. You got RL issues, leave them there... Thank you....

Thanks for the link, it might prove itself useful when the 360 gets here.

(Update: all this talk about it made me wanna check it... It has been what 2-3 days since the black light has been on. I am not noticing any ghosting. I'm not saying thats the problem. I will do some more tests...)

Well, I apologize for thinking you had an XBOX360, my mistake. I got the impression while reading some of your previous posts, however, because several are in the XBOX360 HD + PC = sucess thread, and I didn't read them thoroughly.

The 720P comment is still valid. If your cable box is putting out 1080i, it has to be converted to 1080P, which is something many folks have said is problematic on the W3.

If you've set your cable box to output 720P and still have a problem, then I'm not helping. I see that this guy has already suggested this. You tried that, right?

There is known issues with 1080i movie content deinterlacing to 1080p with some ghosting issues. Just watch them at 720p it solves the issue. Until 1080p content becomes more prevelent this is something we will have to live with. It is not a problem with the LCD being "too slow" because 1080p content is just fine. It is definately an issue with 1080i deinterlacing.

I have never had any problems with ghosting in PC Games etc though. The only problem I have had with some games is tearing and enabling vertical sync in those games solves the problem (nothing new to LCD monitors there though)

apologies are more than accepted. I have messed around with my box some more, and found some advanced user guides for it. I did have it output 720 again, and I did notice a SLIGHT difference. Very slight. Since I turned off the blacklight that I was using for ambient, its been 2 days as I stated above, and there appears to be a very tolerable, very small bit of ghosting in certain scenes, could be my eyes still playing tricks on me, or it could actually just be a notice of frames or movement of camera. (When a camera moves in a movie it kinda makes me a little ill)...

So far, I'm blaming the black light, but as I said, I will continue to research it. I will play some PC games and see. Hopefully I will watch some more movies over the weekend and see as well.

As for my xbox 360 dvd drive ;), its in my pc ;)... Thats why I was on that thread. Was just a temporary solution until I could afford the 360... Could afford one, not the other, I chose the most interesting of the two :D...

so do you all recommend running this TV in 720p as oppose to 1080i while watching HD programming ?

Yay! My Westinghouse came yesterday. Unfortunately I had work during the day and class at night and didn't get a real chance to test it out. I will post some pictures and version number info when I get home tonight. I attempted to play FEAR however the graphics were jumping, another problem with my 8800GTS. I don't think it likes the 7600 GS that I have running two 20" LCD's. Hmmm...

Yay! My Westinghouse came yesterday. Unfortunately I had work during the day and class at night and didn't get a real chance to test it out. I will post some pictures and version number info when I get home tonight. I attempted to play FEAR however the graphics were jumping, another problem with my 8800GTS. I don't think it likes the 7600 GS that I have running two 20" LCD's. Hmmm...

Problems with the 8800 GTS?

The drivers for the 8800 GTS are not part of the universal forceware. I have a Asus P5B-Deluxe with two x16 slots. I use the 7600 GS to drive my 2 20" LCD's, and the 8800 GTS to drive my Westy. I had to use the modified version of the 8800 GTS forceware in order to use my 7600 GS at the same time. I think that might be why my graphics are jumping, its like a skipping record player. It makes the mouse freeze as well.. and then move a little... freeze again. Every game I have that is 3d accelerated does this. I am not sure what the solution is... any idea?

so do you all recommend running this TV in 720p as oppose to 1080i while watching HD programming ?

no... Test it, and see which one performs better for you, thats all they were suggesting for me, because I was having some ghosting. If you do not see anything wrong with the picture output from your box, then you should be fine.

okay. i got my westy today :) :) :) :) no dead pixels or anything. when i was looking for the pixels it looked like there was some sort of burn in but I think that had to do with how cold the monitor is/was. its pretty cold here in ny and was probably on the truck since 6am. i dont see anything now.

now a couple of things....first in the device manager windows is showing it as a plug and play monitor and not LVM-37w3. however in the nvidia control panel it is showing it as the LVM-37w3. is there a driver windows needs for it?

second, this thing is GINORMOUS. my 2407 looks like a terd the Westy pooped out.

third. everything in windows is so big...is there any way to make things smaller? it feels like everything is 800x600 on a regular monitor. I would like to have multiple IE7s open...basically side by side but at its current rez I cant do it without the windows overlapping....is this just a drawback for the resolution and size? im guessing so because my 2407 was 1920x1200 and is 13"s smaller.

fourth....is there a way to move the PIP box out of the right hand corner?

ill post pictures later. I'm just trying to get everything setup.

No, there is no drive needed, it is a plug and play monitor, Nvidia will say the model number, you're fine... Feeling like everything is 800x600, check and make sure you have everything set up in your nvid control panel, goto tv wizard, set it up for 1080p if you want, and make sure your res is 1920x1080. Of course going from 1920x1200, you will have some difference. I can open tons of windows and be aight.

As for the PIP moving, open your menu on the monitor, goto the PIP, and change PIP position.

No, there is no drive needed, it is a plug and play monitor, Nvidia will say the model number, you're fine... Feeling like everything is 800x600, check and make sure you have everything set up in your nvid control panel, goto tv wizard, set it up for 1080p if you want, and make sure your res is 1920x1080. Of course going from 1920x1200, you will have some difference. I can open tons of windows and be aight.

As for the PIP moving, open your menu on the monitor, goto the PIP, and change PIP position.

yeah its showing 1920x1080p in windows and in the info on the westinghouse.

in this picture it shows how I cant get 2 IE7s open at the same time without overlapping

IMG_1936.jpg

this is my current setup...notice how tiny the 2407 looks next to it :cool:

IMG_1939.jpg

another shot of my setup.

IMG_1940.jpg

my x360 is being repaired and I should have it back anytime soon. once i am done setting up my office I'll post pics in the 2007 workstation thread. i just have alot of diplomas, pictures and stuff to hang up and wires to manage first. :)

This tiny red pixel is starting to really annoy the piss out of me lol. I don't want to have it RMA'd just yet but jesus.. I might be anal or something but everytime I turn on the monitor I fixiate on that one spot :mad:

Do you guys think I should wait? Maybe it will go away or am I screwed?

This tiny red pixel is starting to really annoy the piss out of me lol. I don't want to have it RMA'd just yet but jesus.. I might be anal or something but everytime I turn on the monitor I fixiate on that one spot :mad:

do you notice it when sitting 6 feet away watching tv or a movie ? if its that noticable i'd return it if it isnt that severe i probably wouldnt care.

I'd return it... You pay for a good product, you should have a great product, no flaws... Its a pain to let it go for a the time it would take, but in the end you know you'd be happier...

now a couple of things....first in the device manager windows is showing it as a plug and play monitor and not LVM-37w3. however in the nvidia control panel it is showing it as the LVM-37w3. is there a driver windows needs for it?

second, this thing is GINORMOUS. my 2407 looks like a terd the Westy pooped out.

third. everything in windows is so big...is there any way to make things smaller? it feels like everything is 800x600 on a regular monitor. I would like to have multiple IE7s open...basically side by side but at its current rez I cant do it without the windows overlapping....is this just a drawback for the resolution and size? im guessing so because my 2407 was 1920x1200 and is 13"s smaller.

fourth....is there a way to move the PIP box out of the right hand corner?

ill post pictures later. I'm just trying to get everything setup.

• Mine is also showing to be a plug in play monitor in device manager, while being correctly shown in the nvidia control panel. So long as you are able to set the resoution/refresh rate to 1920X1080 @ 60hz, it shouldn't make a difference. I'd be careful to make sure that you don't have an app/game that drives it over 60hz- it will damage the monitor.
  • I also thought it was ridiculously large when I first got it. Now when I go to work and look at a 17" crt, I feel like I need a microscope. I end up sitting about 6" from the screen. LOL
  • I'm not sure I understand this. You can resize the IE7 window's width, right? There is a hack to make the IE window position/size stay the same- but I don't remember how to do it.
  • The PIP can be moved around in the menu, fourth Icon down (firmware rev. 1.5), then list item #5 on the right. The arrows on the remote allow it to be moved around, and the position is kept in memory next time you open PIP. Unfortunately, at least in rev. 1.5, the sound source for the PIP setting doesn't get saved.

I got one blue stuck sub pixel about an inch from the right border, middle way down. I also fixated on it for the first week or two, but now don't even notice it. I haven't even bothered trying the pixel exerciser/rub treatment on it.
If you can send it back, you need to be prepared for getting another one with a dead pixel or another stuck sub pixel. As far as I know, Newegg has a pretty standard dead pixel policy (8 dead pixels or more).

I got one blue stuck sub pixel about an inch from the right border, middle way down. I also fixated on it for the first week or two, but now don't even notice it. I haven't even bothered trying the pixel exerciser/rub treatment on it.
If you can send it back, you need to be prepared for getting another one with a dead pixel or another stuck sub pixel. As far as I know, Newegg has a pretty standard dead pixel policy (8 dead pixels or more).

Newegg never show'd any sort of dead pixel policy. Their general jist is that they don't want anything to do with it, like leave it in the hands of the manufacturer. It's pretty gay though in my opinion why we all can't just get all the pixels to function right. I mean for the price it's not that much to ask you know?

I'm waiting on an email to see what WH can do because I know Newegg just flat out doesn't give a crap.

Back