Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

is the dvi cable needed to hook the computer up to the westy the same as a regular dvi cable like the one that came with my dell 2407? Or is it some other kind of dvi cable that I'll need?

is the dvi cable needed to hook the computer up to the westy the same as a regular dvi cable like the one that came with my dell 2407? Or is it some other kind of dvi cable that I'll need?

DVI-600C.jpg

Those are both dual links, single links have some of the pins missing. The extra four pin "dots" means that it is a DVI-I digital/analog cable as opposed to a DVI-D digital cable.

well i just got my package. monitor is beautiful.
havent done any dead pixels or any tests like that yet.
version 1.80 is what it says in the system information. i ordered from newegg last week.

So why couldn't the Westy use Dual Link? Dual link is backwards compatible right? nice find on the pic Toxic......
I think I can make my dual link analog cables work.. by removing those 4 pins with a pair of needle nose pliers.

DVI-I-Dual-Link.jpg

Everything else look exactly the same as the regular dual link picture below

DVI-D-Dual-Link.jpg

the one with the 4 pins around the longer flat pin is a DVI-I cable. DVI-Ds dont have the 4 pins and the flat pin is shorter. You cannot use a DVI-I cable with something that only takes DVI-D even if you pull out the 4 pins because the long flat pin isnt the same size.

LOL .. Good Times SteveW928!

So, actually going to their store is as bad as the eCommerce? OMG! LOL

Hehe.... well, it's more subjective than that. 'Bad' might be too strong of a term depending on your goal. If you are a destination shopper... you'll not like Ikea. If you like to spend an afternoon browsing through tons of environments set-up with the products to get ideas... (and stop for lunch)... its pretty fun. I actually like going there.... just not when I'm in a hurry to get what I want.

So why couldn't the Westy use Dual Link? Dual link is backwards compatible right? nice find on the pic Toxic......

Yes, I believe this is correct. A dual link, or single link should work... the extra pins just aren't used on the dual-link as the westy is single link. Just watch out for the DVI-I vs. DVI-D (like the one incorrect photo above). The one with the pins around the blade is a DVD-I, and won't physically plug into the Westy (otherwise, it would probably work).

Also.... GOT mine today!!! It came a day early. Ordered on Thursday afternoon (Pacific time) from PCNation.com ... Got it today... even with a warehouse xfer involved. No tax, free 3 day shipping. Am quite happy with their service.

Though.... I don't have a cable... LOL. Is this a definition of torture? :) Maybe I'll turn it on and see if I can find the firmware version, etc. Thanks for all the great advice in this thread everyone.

I got a DVI to DVI cable for this monitor, however now that you've brought it to my attention, my gfx card has the DVI port with the 2 holes on top and 2 on the bottom, do I need a different cable now?

Aside from this being a great PC monitor, which it seems as if most of you are using this set for, would you recommend it for a home theater set-up? My entertainment center can only hold a TV 38" wide so I'm pretty much limited to a 37" set. I've been checking out this set, the Sharp Aquos 37" and the Olevia 537h and haven't decided which to go with. Out of the 3 the Westy is the only one that can do 1080p but is that going to really matter on a 37" set? Will you be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p sitting 8-9ft away from it? I plan on using it to watch TV shows, movies and also play games. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and I also have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 so I will be watching HD-DVD's and Blue-Ray movies as well. I'm also concerned about the black levels, I know with LCD's it's never going to look as good as CRT or Plasma for that matter but how do the black levels fair on this set? Any input you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Damn the SNOW.....i have to wait till Friday for my monitor.....>.<
bahahaha.. i had to wait 4 additional business days for my monitor to arrive cuz of the snow in seattle area few weeks back. AIT driver still couldnt make it down the ice covered hill to my house... had 2 options.. to wait more or drive my truck up hill to get it... i picked the later hehe. duh

Aside from this being a great PC monitor, which it seems as if most of you are using this set for, would you recommend it for a home theater set-up? My entertainment center can only hold a TV 38" wide so I'm pretty much limited to a 37" set. I've been checking out this set, the Sharp Aquos 37" and the Olevia 537h and haven't decided which to go with. Out of the 3 the Westy is the only one that can do 1080p but is that going to really matter on a 37" set? Will you be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p sitting 8-9ft away from it? I plan on using it to watch TV shows, movies and also play games. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and I also have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 so I will be watching HD-DVD's and Blue-Ray movies as well. I'm also concerned about the black levels, I know with LCD's it's never going to look as good as CRT or Plasma for that matter but how do the black levels fair on this set? Any input you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My buddy was torn between the Westy and an Aquos when he was purchasing his TV. One of the major things for him was the Aquos had 2 HDMI inputs while the Westy only has one. He also said that the Sharp did better with SD channels then the Westinghouse.

I am also shopping for a big screen tv and from what I been told that 1080p is really effective for TV viewing at sizes over 40". Since you will be sitting 8-9 feet away you really wont be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size.

Here are two charts to confirm that statement
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/hdtv_distance_chart.pdf
http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/distance_chart.png

At 8-9 feet the chart suggests having about a 50" 1080p TV. You may want to look into the 720p Panasonic plasmas but then again a 720p set isnt ideal for a PC.

Hope that helps

Out of the 3 the Westy is the only one that can do 1080p but is that going to really matter on a 37" set?

Whether it matters or not is a personal preference, which is not transferrable from person to person. Having said that, it certainly matters to me.

Will you be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p sitting 8-9ft away from it?
I can tell the difference at this range- but everyone is different. I'd recommend some in person views at a local retailer to see what your ability is. Some people have sharper vision than others.
An equivalent question is: does it matter that one camera is 3megapixel, and the other is 6 megapixel, if you are always going to view the prints from a distance? If there is no meaningful difference between 1080p and 720p (other than double the pixels), then all the people buying HDTV's are wasting their money. They could simply move farther away from their SDTV's.

I know with LCD's it's never going to look as good as CRT or Plasma for that matter but how do the black levels fair on this set?
The black level is very dependant on the backlight/contrast settings. There is slight backlight bleed, but that is true for all LCD's. So long as you are not watching a dark scene in a completely dark room, and have set the panel settings with a program like AVIA, I think you'll be happy. But that's just my opinion.

Black levels on the Westys are very poor by any measure. Its kicks out a great picture otherwise however.

Black levels on the Westys are very poor by any measure. Its kicks out a great picture otherwise however.
nah, its pretty average. Native contrast of 1000:1

Notice Westinghouse doesn't post dynamic contrast ratio like Samsung and Sony.

Overall I must say this is the best PC monitor Ive owned and cant see replacing it anytime soon..As long as it works..;)

I got a DVI to DVI cable for this monitor, however now that you've brought it to my attention, my gfx card has the DVI port with the 2 holes on top and 2 on the bottom, do I need a different cable now?

No, you shouldn't. Your graphics card probably really is a DVI-I (outputs digital... and analog with an adapter, like s-video). I'm pretty sure a DVI-D cable will plug into that... it is the westy side that limits the connector used, as it is without the 4 analog pins.

I have the DVD-I port on my PowerBook, and have often connected it to projectors and LCD displays with a standard DVI cable that was most likely DVI-D. I think you'll be fine. I'll know more tomorrow when I get my DVI-D cable and try to connect it to my PowerBook and MacBook Pro.

Oh, and BTW... for anyone following Firmware versions... mine says 1.0

sorry if this has been asked before... but this thread was 100 pages long so I didn't read all of it. I'm thinking of getting this tv and my brother has a lot of points built up with an online poker site so that he can get certain rewards for free. One of them as the toshiba hd-a1 hd dvd player (I know it's not the greatest, but he said he'd trade it to me for my 20" dell lcd now + 100) I have read that it will only output 720p or 1080i. Now, my question is how does the westinghouse convert 1080i to 1080p or how does it go about displaying it? Somewhere I read some tv's downconvert 1080i to 540p then up to 1080p. If westinghouse does this, does that mean the picture will look bad? I have mainly only read about people using this monitor for their pc's and not for tv inputs.

This tv does not convert anything, it takes the picture you put into it... It takes native 1080p/i, 720p/i and so on. From what I understand, there is no converting...
Maybe someone knows otherwise...

if you give it a signal that is not 1080p then it still displays it at 1920x1080, I just do not know how it converts it. 1080i may not get converted and it simply refreshes half the screen each time, but 720p and every lower resolution it must convert to make 1920x1080

Overall I must say this is the best PC monitor Ive owned and cant see replacing it anytime soon..As long as it works..;)

Very encouraging. I'm in the market for a 26" - 36" LCD to be used for my 360 in my room, but also to double as my new pc monitor. I seriously considered just buying a no name LCD (720p) just to save a few hundred bucks but after realizing this will be my pc monitor as well I NEED something that people are vocally praising for that feature.

After weeks of research this 37" Westy IS the tv I need and I do not think there is even one other tv out there I'd consider right now.

I plan on ordering this baby in about 3 weeks!

I remember reading in earlier posts that the ps3 handshaking issue was fixed and that the stock in westinghouse has been updated?

Any idea if this news is official and has anyone received at fixed unit? (what's the firmware revision on it?)

Tommmmmmmmmmmmy

Mwave's warranty is around 350 for onsite fixing, but this does not start until the manufacture's warranty is gone, so if my screen is messed up after it is shipped to me I would still have to ship it back to mwave or westinghouse. Do you guys feel the warranty is worth it?

Back