Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

ok...

My sitting range varies of course for what I'm doing, gaming I'm usually just a few feet away, movies, a good 6+ feet away (recommended range for this tv according to some chart I found for HD tvs), xbox varies, as I sit close and back depending on the games I play.

First off, I run cable HDMI 1080i res for HD, and then crap for normal channels, for that setup my tv is

Brightness 50
Contrast 60
Sat 56
Hue 0
Temp cool
Sharp 40

for xbox, I use component. setup is...

Bright 50
cont 55
sat 60
hue 0
temp cool
Sharp 40
and ratio fill, because the widescreen setup for xbox does not work unless you fill it...

For my pc, my specs are at the bottom of the page, I use the 8800gtx obviously I use dvi input/output, I see ghosting in games such as oblivion, bf2142, cs, all fast action paced games... I have it set for 1080p output, aa on, asf on when accepted... I do not do application controlled unless I need to. tv setup is...

bright 50
cont 50
sat 60
hue 0
temp cool
sharp 40
ration stand
bl 60

I'm not the only person here, at my house that sees it... When they're here, my brothers do, my friends do, and of course I do. I've tried everything I can to get rid of the ghosting, but there just does not seem to be anything that will work... Unless you have the answer...

Have not tried my PS2 yet, and will have a 360 here in a week or so. Friend is getting a ps3, I will test it also... If a camera in a movie moves side to side, it makes me sick because it bounces its way instead of gliding... Watch The hills have eyes, they do a lot of camera sliding in that movie...
if i were you...id take it back(if you can) u got a bad display...you are the only person i can recall that has a problem like that...i sure dont have that issue....actually...ive never had any issues with any lcd ive had...let alone my westy....sux your having that problem...but id take it back

Since we're talking about settings---am I the only one to find backlight indispensible on this display? I've tried turning it all the way down to 0 or even 20, but the picture is wayyyyy too dark. I honestly can't watch anything below 60.

I am in a 5' x 7' room with window blinds always closed and lights always off. Anyone else in my situation?

It almost sounds like Kinson got the 37W1 Which from the Specs on the Westy Site says it has a 12ms responce. The 2 are nearly identical just the W3 dropped to 8ms. And only one of the DVI Inputs is 1080P on the W1 as well.

BTW 1st post, been a long time lurker.

I ordered the w3 from best buy, but 12ms would make more sense... I will look at my receipt and I will call best buy...

Looking here on my tv it says lvm-w3, I have yet to take the sticker off... lol... I'm ghosting really bad, I wish one of you could see it... and confirm...

It is interesting how my digital camera caught the ghosting in CS.

I play CS all the time and I have not noticed ghosting at all (noticeable ghosting). I uploaded these pictures when I was dead tired and did not even notice the ghosting in the picture until now. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I started CS and tried to focus on the ghosting but could not find any visible to my human eye.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the sister display LVM42w2 for my PC, which resides in my livingroom. I use a hospital table for my KB and mouse to sit far away from the wall, so I wont worry about being too close to this thing like If I were at a desk.

I ordered it from mwave.com for US $1355 shipped to FL from texas or cali. There were two lower priced deals on nextag for this model, however both of those vendors had many pages of complaints and I didn't want to play roulette to save a hundred fifty bucks.

This is my first experience with mwave, they had 5 stars; I'll let you know how it turns out since it seems a good deal for the rest of you out there.

:( <--anxiety

isn't the w2 only 720p? Can't you get a 37" w3 which is 1080p for around the same price?

The W1 is 720p, the W2 and W3 are 1080p. They both have 1000:1 contrast and 550 brightness, like most other lcd's.

Presently there is no '42w3' model, I wish there was. The W2 has differing inputs, but still good for my needs; I've only used computer displays that only accept DVI up until now. Being able to now hook up the xbox and cable and use picture in picture will be great fun.

The W2 also suffered from poor early firmware revisions which are now fixed and should be avoidable now when buying new. Some users also experience some minor banding with the W2, however from the comments i've read it's only noticible if your really looking for it and isn't much of an issue.

talking to best buy now, those stupid asshats have no clue what they're talking about, so I'm just gonna send it off, when it gets back, I'll send it off again, and again, and then they should replace it, or give me an upgrade... Maybe I'll get lucky, and they'll say, hey we cant do shit for this, because its a bad tv, and just send me a brand freaking new one...

I can't believe I'm the only one seeing ghosting... The sad thing is, I really didnt notice it till my brother pointed it out to me, since he did, I can't look at the thing without seeing it.

as for the banding, yeah, I was not looking for it... But since then I see it bad, and don't even mean to... Like I said, I see it real bad when cameras in movies move side to side, and playing bf2142 and other stuff... Maybe I'm just noticing slow frames in the movies, who knows, but I see ghosting in all the games, even xbox games, football games LOL... its kinda sad...

talking to best buy now, those stupid asshats have no clue what they're talking about, so I'm just gonna send it off, when it gets back, I'll send it off again, and again, and then they should replace it, or give me an upgrade... Maybe I'll get lucky, and they'll say, hey we cant do shit for this, because its a bad tv, and just send me a brand freaking new one...

I can't believe I'm the only one seeing ghosting... The sad thing is, I really didnt notice it till my brother pointed it out to me, since he did, I can't look at the thing without seeing it.

as for the banding, yeah, I was not looking for it... But since then I see it bad, and don't even mean to... Like I said, I see it real bad when cameras in movies move side to side, and playing bf2142 and other stuff... Maybe I'm just noticing slow frames in the movies, who knows, but I see ghosting in all the games, even xbox games, football games LOL... its kinda sad...

Years back I worked in the service dept at a best buy and specifically delt with repair issues. PM me and I can prolly tell you the specific hoops you'll need to jump through to get your tv replaced under their corperate policies. You have the general idea...

I'm gonna get another gaming buddy of mine out here, and ask him if he sees anything strange... My brother and myself, who knows, maybe we're just retarded, and maybe him saying something got me staring hardcore at the screen looking for flaws...

Could be some also did a Bait and switch as well. i.e. Someone had a W1 bought a W3 and put the W1 in the Box and Returned it (Putting the Sticker on it as well)

lol... Umm it was brand new.. They had to order it...

26_hero.jpg

That is the w1

Just out of curiosity, have you used an LCD before for gaming or watching movies? or is this your first LCD after years of CRT's?

This monitor displays *everything* at 1080P, so if you feed it a 1080i signal it frame doubles.

The only reason 30fps or 60fps looks fluid to some people is because the brain interprets the subtly different images and interpolates. Some people may have for lack of a better word "faster" visual scan rates than others as a genetic feature.

The good news is the remedy is readily available:

everclear9vg.jpg

increase the dosage until the ghosting goes away, or until you become indifferent to the ghosting. Stop when you start naming the ghosts. Or when you see them outside the screen. :p

hahaha... Thanks for the laugh...

Oh, thats sarcasm...

Yes I have used plenty of LCD's... Thanks for your concern though, and everclear is nasty... I enjoy crown...

Since we're talking about settings---am I the only one to find backlight indispensible on this display? I've tried turning it all the way down to 0 or even 20, but the picture is wayyyyy too dark. I honestly can't watch anything below 60.

I am in a 5' x 7' room with window blinds always closed and lights always off. Anyone else in my situation?
mines @ 40 but i also have my gamma and brightness up in my vid card control panel as well....i had to turn it down when i first got it...it was maxxed....and damn near burnt the corneas out of my head :D :D

everclear9vg.jpg

increase the dosage until the ghosting goes away, or until you become indifferent to the ghosting. Stop when you start naming the ghosts. Or when you see them outside the screen. :p

I almost spit Iced Tea all over my new Westy!!:D :D

lol, I called westies tech support... God they're really good, very nice, very supportive, and very interested in your problem... Guy was on the phone with me for over an hour going over thousands of possibilities for the problem... I was seriously wowed by this... I give their tech 5 stars for knowledge and for kindness...

We came to the conclusion that he really didnt know, that NO ONE has yet to (minus myself) say anything about ghosting, and he was shocked... I think he was almost to the point of saying, send it to me I'll send you a new one... But, egh you know how it works...

We did get some good ideas, black light behind the tv for ambient lighting, COULD have been the problem... I turn the black light on when I watch the tv and play games so I don't strain my eyes... Didnt have an extra fluorescent light lying around... Best buy is sending a 3rd party support out here because they do not "have servicemen" in my area... BULL SHIT... I'm 3 minutes away from a store... Anyways, I'll keep you guys informed... Maybe it'll all turn out that I'm just a moron, I mean, hell anythings possible ;)

i get my westy tommorow. cant wait.

question what kind of dvi cable do i need to go from pc to the westy..

dvi male to male or male to female? thanks

lol, I called westies tech support... God they're really good, very nice, very supportive, and very interested in your problem... Guy was on the phone with me for over an hour going over thousands of possibilities for the problem... I was seriously wowed by this... I give their tech 5 stars for knowledge and for kindness...

We came to the conclusion that he really didnt know, that NO ONE has yet to (minus myself) say anything about ghosting, and he was shocked... I think he was almost to the point of saying, send it to me I'll send you a new one... But, egh you know how it works...

We did get some good ideas, black light behind the tv for ambient lighting, COULD have been the problem... I turn the black light on when I watch the tv and play games so I don't strain my eyes... Didnt have an extra fluorescent light lying around... Best buy is sending a 3rd party support out here because they do not "have servicemen" in my area... BULL SHIT... I'm 3 minutes away from a store... Anyways, I'll keep you guys informed... Maybe it'll all turn out that I'm just a moron, I mean, hell anythings possible ;)
well...ive seen stranger things happen...but it sounds like you got a bed display....it happens...but westy or bb will make it right...both get an A in my book for making the customer happy

[Retaliation];1030528715 said:
you need female on both ends

lol good one.

the one i got now is male to male. im sure thats what i need just partially retarded today from working 100 hours this last week.

Westy Support good. Best Buy - TERRIBLE. Took 2 months to "fix" a TV that couldn't be fixed because they don't have the part... Finally got a new. The 37" wasn't too bad. For the price one can't complain. I regret this 32" though. Don't like it too much.

Hey Kins. Ever resolve that HD_DVD thing?

Male to male is the standard cord just to make longer btw. But then again what do I know.

everclear9vg.jpg

OMG! That was a damn real laugh from me, Sir! LOL Thanks for that! Sorry it's regarding a painful experience for Kinson tho =/

MAn..this is OT..but I have been posting my experience with this on this thread, so gonna add something..

Freakin IKEA is thte Total sux0rz! I call yesterday..guy sez JERKER is discontinued! Im like so..wtf!?! So..back to the site, maybe the CSR was a assclown. ordered from the site. Their eCommerce is like freaking 1950'..I swear. Their ( Ikea ) site is complete shit, but I eventualy find the stuff I want ( shelves and the cable management system for the Jerker ) go thru the whole register etc..enter CC infoz, hit final. Their stone age site doesn't even give you a total! " We will get your message and get back to you within 24hours with Tax and shipping..yada yada " Any other etailer, I'ld so bail. But Ikea is a International company, etc.. so I play along.

fast forward almost 24..STILL NO EMAIL. I'm really like wtf now so I call. Lady answeres..o..I see yer order..o..the cc hasm't de encrypted..( wtf? ) ..o..yea..it has..there it is... ok..tax and shipping are 140+..O WAIT..it's discontinued! Sorry Sir."

So I tell her that I used their site to look at avialability at some of their Nationals stores, I found a coyuple that state they have it instock. she sez... " well sisr, we do NOT ship store to store..." I asked well, Are you people franchises? or corporate? ( they are all corporate )can you not get it shipped from one of the stores?

No Sir...Sorry

... So I said thanks for nothing, i'll make sure I pass the bad word on about Ikea!

But the Damn Jerker is the only Desk I have found on the net, PERIOD, that I want for my new Maingear rig and Westy 37" damn it.

Stewed for bit..bingo..googled for personal shoppers..etc.. went thru about 15 links..ended up finding a guy in San Diego that does that, has a Concierge service! BBB, Chamber of Commerce, etc.. looks reputable.. Call him..yes..he would be happy to do it.. Turns out San Diego is one of the few stores left with a Jerker.!!! I call Ikea San Diego for a phone order..they only take Voice mails for Phone orders! OMG I h8 Ikea, BUT..I want that freakin desk! So, I leave a Vm. THEY ACTUALLY CALLED! Kelly ( has a sexy voice, sunds like a hawt cali surf girl /moan ) takes my order, assures me they have them, even in a few colors! and the addons I want. w00t! I lay the cash down. 1 hour later she calls me back. they don't have the Black I want =/ They are callin g all around, but not looking good. I'm like BABE, I'll take ANY color, just get me a jerker, I'll love you LONG TIME! She's like.." O ..sweet..well I know we have the lighter color one ..y..it's right here! " /drool

So, The concierge guy, Gary, at http://www.str8eye.net/index.html

calls me as planned, has done all the foot work on shipping to Tampa, FL, etc..gonna be about $75 for UPS. His fee is like $40! CHEAP!

So, I'm about drooling at this point from mental exertion, but I WILL HAVE A DAMN Jerker!

/phew

btw..all this so I can set my KICK ASS Westy 37" , Sponge Bob Racing Yellow Maingear F131, and toyz on! with pride! /flex

Looking forward to being done with my quest for the new rig, best Monitor I can get, and desk! I'll post pics! Should be all set in a bout a week!

Yeah I got the HD-DVD thing working... had to install x86... works fine, however I'm buying an xbox 360, so, I'll be aight with that... ... ...

I got the hd dvd drive because I was planning on buying a 360, wanted to test it out on pc, I had enough money for one, but not the other, so I went for least expensive :p

and WOW that was a lot to read... lol... Good for you though... Wish I could afford a jerker... I'll just wait, or custom build my own desk... :D

Keep us updated on the Status of your Westy Kinson. I'm prolly gonna Pull the trigger on the 42W2 or the new TX-42 in Sept.

that doesnt make sense though. The way the DVI ports are setup, if it were any other type of cable, that would be the female end, as the the "male" end goes inside the female... of course LOL... I mean, thats the way dvi setups are, the "male" goes into the "female" the female being the actual cable while inlets being such as the video card, or the TV...

I mean, am I wrong here ?? I know there are a 24, 18 or 20 whatever little pins that the "female" has inside her, but... You cant count those little things as being males :p lol

Freakin IKEA is thte Total sux0rz! I call yesterday..guy sez JERKER is discontinued! Im like so..wtf!?! So..back to the site, maybe the CSR was a assclown. ordered from the site. Their eCommerce is like freaking 1950'..I swear.

Hehe.... I take it you've never been to an Ikea. It is a pretty nuts experience... you can have just as bad of luck at the actual store as you did on-line... LOL (but the meatballs are good in the cafe.)

You run around this HUGE store with a cart that is laid out like a rat maze... and pick up smaller items on your way. You make a list of the 'bigger' things you want. And then you have to pray (and sometimes fight for) the items on your list to be in stock. They won't hold things, etc. And, it is a madhouse. I'm not even sure why they try to do the on-line thing... I agree, they just aren't set up for it, and it is a total joke. The only reason people shop there, I think, is for the meatballs, and because the stuff really is VERY good for the price.

It is a total sellers market for them though. When we got our Jerker desks (we have 2 of them)... it took 4 trips to finally get everything. They would be getting some, and tell us the anticipated day... but not hold them. And, they are big, so we had to arrange to borrow a pickup truck to go. We'd get there, and be told... well, we got some this AM, but they sold out a couple hours back... etc. Ended up getting a desk and all the accessories in one trip... then finally the other desk on another trip.

We might actually sell one at some point... LOL.. I guess I know where to post. :) But, they are totally awesome desks (a bit huge depth wise... but probably good for a Westy to be back just a bit.)

I mean, am I wrong here ?? I know there are a 24, 18 or 20 whatever little pins that the "female" has inside her, but... You cant count those little things as being males :p lol

Oh my... are we really going to have to get into sex-ed here? LOL

Yep, you guessed it... it is typically the 'pins' that determine the 'gender' of the cable. There are a few cables that are harder to tell... but DVI is certainly a male to male cable. Female ports on a video card (and hopefully the westy... as I ordered a male to male cable... will know on Wednesday.... whoo hoo!).

This actually reminds me of a really funny story when I was sharing some office space in an architectural firm many years back. The owner had sent one of the architects down to Radio Shack to get some cables they needed for the computers. I was in a meeting with the owner and a few other people from the firm in the owners office, and he usually took calls on his speaker phone (so I was lucky enough to hear both sides of this conversation).

He got a phone call in a while from this young lady (we'll call her Heather to protect the innocent), and she was having trouble telling which cables to buy. She asked how to tell which ones were male or female.

The owner replied, 'Heather, are you really going to make me explain this to you?' There was dead silence for probably 10 seconds... then she just said, 'Nooo way!' We just all bust out laughing. He was like... 'Really, I'm not kidding...'... She was like.... 'Nooo....'.

We all had to corroborate this before she would believe him (our laughter had probably convinced her he was pulling her leg at that point)... she thought it was pretty darn funny too by this time. I suppose there is some crazy story behind this whole concept when it started.... maybe they were just being practical... who knows... LOL.

LOL .. Good Times SteveW928!

So, actually going to their store is as bad as the eCommerce? OMG! LOL

I just pray that the Concierge Service follows thru, but he has called severa times, and I'll be paying thru PayPal, so I feel pretty damn lucky to have found someone that my gut tells me is a trustworthy setup.

Kinson, and all

I can confirm for you with all integrity, the cable you need is a MALE to MALE DVI

The receptor on both the Display and the Video card is FEMALE.

VGA is the same.

I got a Monstor 2m for $69 when I got my Westy from buydig.com. Yes, a little more than getting the monoprice, but when it's all said and done, Monstor's are too expensive, but no one will deny they are top quality too, and I got it with the Display, so it was just easier; 1 order, one retailer.

Kinson.. do you have a quality DVI ? Can make a difference. Shielding is important. Good cables have triple or more shielding. EMI / RF intewrferance can and does mess stuff up.

I wanted to know if anyone has any links or listings for wall mounts for the 37" Westy, at least ones that they recommend. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

I ordered the Sanus Systems VMPL50B VisionMount TV Wall Mount when I ordered my monitor. But they don't seem to list it anymore.

I just hooked up my 360 via component cables and set the 360 to 1080p.I wasnt impressed with 2k7,or lost planet but GOW looked sweet.I usually have the 360 hooked up to a 56'in Sammy DLP via component.Is this as good as it gets or should I invest in the VGA cables before I hook it back up to my DLP??

A) not all components are made alike: are yours good quality cables?
B) myself, I see a big difference and it's all in favor of VGA. Some people prefer the crisper look of VGA, others the "better" colors of component. I'd say try both and see what pleases you (that is, if you can return the VGA should you not like it).

LOL... No no, I am not a moron, I know what kind of cables I "need" I've got my setup fine... I've just never referred to that cable as male to male... But owell... Good interesting subject... lol

Sex-ED lol

Back