Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Go into the nvidia control panel.. then go to TV/video settings, then change it manually to 1080p. It will look much clearer.

SWEEET!!..Thanx a million that worked wonders even on my desktop text is crisper..

Go into the nvidia control panel.. then go to TV/video settings, then change it manually to 1080p. It will look much clearer.

I finally ordered my westy this morning, and I'm wondering if I will have the same problem. I have an ati x1800xt, and currently I'm on laptop only (memory from desktop is being RMA'ed, but should be back soon) so I cant look again, but I remember looking in the catalyst control center under hdtv output but it only gave the option of 720p and 1080i.. Later I did some reading and I thought the computer would automatically output 1080p in that situation (that is without setting options for hdtv, since this a monitor). Please tell me I'll be able to output 1080p.:confused:

You should be able to force an output resolution of 1920X1080 and refresh rate of 60hz. The westinghouse will detect this as 1080P. If you can't get those settings forced in the ATI control panel, try one of the free powertools, such as ATItool.

You should be able to force an output resolution of 1920X1080 and refresh rate of 60hz. The westinghouse will detect this as 1080P. If you can't get those settings forced in the ATI control panel, try one of the free powertools, such as ATItool.

I'll have to wait to try it.. but thanks for the help!:)

Thank you, that's good info to know since both my rigs run Radeon. I'm very excited about seeing this thing in person! :D I've been filling up my already full hard drives with 720p and 1080p content. Won't be long before I set my cash down on another 500gb drive.

well i finally got my new desk assembed (ambience L workcenter) what a nightmare that was.... now waiting for the monitor.. hopefully get it tuesday.

/MOAN

Well after testing mine..no dead pixals I can find, etc.. I boxed it for the moment. I am waiting on my my Maingear F131 to arrive ( hopefully this week ) as my current legacy rig is dieing and the 9800 pro is ok, but obviously struggles with any gaming etc at the native res, also, havnet gotten a desk yet..so I had it on the floor..LOL

So, Im back on the 20" crt *cough*

How funny, I thought this CRT was the total shit when I got it ..err..5years ago.. Compaq P1220. Now it feels so week, after a just a day of playin with the Westy!

I am so pleased I jumped in with getting it. Pleased with the service I got from buydig.com, everything. Now..got to order a Jerker and get my Maingear!

This thread is going to ruin my bank account.

I've pretty well settled on the 37w3 to replace both my 22" monitor and my 32" Samsung LCDTV all in one. I'll have to buy a new desk, but I think it'll be worth it.

Gonna have to wait for tax time though.

o..btw.. has anyone found a definitive source / answer on their firmware versions?

Mine arrived a few days ago, looks totally new, etc.. and my firmware is 1.8?

odd, as others show new ones at 1.0

I know someone has said they were told that the firmware is just related to the manufacture date..but..that really wouldn't make sense..and if 1.0 is the absolute newest firmware revision..why would I get a 1.8 days ago that looks spanking new from the factory...could have been warehoused..i know..but thats odd...

o..btw.. has anyone found a definitive source / answer on their firmware versions?

Mine arrived a few days ago, looks totally new, etc.. and my firmware is 1.8?

odd, as others show new ones at 1.0

I know someone has said they were told that the firmware is just related to the manufacture date..but..that really wouldn't make sense..and if 1.0 is the absolute newest firmware revision..why would I get a 1.8 days ago that looks spanking new from the factory...could have been warehoused..i know..but thats odd...

I went to www.Pcpitstop.com and after doing a full set of tests, in one of the review pages(video) it placed my monitor at a build of Jan 2006. My firmware rev. is 1.5. Bought in Nov of 2006.

Would you go to Pcpitstop and see what it says your build date is? I'm not saying it's accurate, but it would be another data point.

err..

I just looked at that site... are you saying I need to go thru their whole suite of "tests" to get to that info?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Also though, I don't even have the Westy connected atm, waiting on the new rig, so..It'll wait.

But your saying that the software te4sting on that site actually was able to look at the Westy and gave you a build date of 1/06?

err..

I just looked at that site... are you saying I need to go thru their whole suite of "tests" to get to that info?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Also though, I don't even have the Westy connected atm, waiting on the new rig, so..It'll wait.

But your saying that the software te4sting on that site actually was able to look at the Westy and gave you a build date of 1/06?

Here is a screen capture from the website. The tests are free and there's no spyware/crapware to install. I'm not saying that the info is correct, but with only one data point, theres not enough to draw any conclusions either way.

pcpitstopvideotab6ts.jpg

This is with firmware rev. 1.5, bought Nov. 2006 from Crutchfield. WDE is Westinghouse Digital Electronics. I don't know the significance of the 56026 number. And yes, I noted that the max resolution is obviously reported wrongly.

Sisoft 2007 will give you that information also.I just bought mine yesterday and my mfg. date shows JAn 2006 with a FW of 1.0 which I thought was strange since the B&M I got it from was sold out till Friday and just got a shipment in.

LOL

wtf =/

all this mystery. Frakin Westinghouse should be a little more transparent on their firmware versioning, etc... /shrug

Not that it really matters, my Westy is perfect as far as I can tell so far, although as I mentioned earlier, I had to box it for a week or so until I get the Maingear in.

It's just useful information, and as a owner, I don't think it's too much to ask.

It's been said that 1.0 was reserved for the perfected firmware, but they had no idea they would have to go back and fix the hdmi issues with the ps3 when they released 1.0.

How much room is there between the desk and the bottom of the panel? I want to know how much room I have to stick a center channel speaker under the display. Normally I put the center channel on top of the CRT, but that won't work with an LCD....

My center channel is roughly 7.5" tall.

I am referring to the W3, btw.

@ Leright

The W3 doesn't seem to have the removable speaker set that was seen on previous pictures...Mine is in it's box atm, so I can confirm, but iirc it doesn't look to be removable.

Even if it is, I don't believe there is 7+ inches of clearance from the table to the base of the screen.

How much room is there between the desk and the bottom of the panel? I want to know how much room I have to stick a center channel speaker under the display. Normally I put the center channel on top of the CRT, but that won't work with an LCD....

My center channel is roughly 7.5" tall.

I am referring to the W3, btw.

There is very nearly 6" from the desktop to the bottom edge of the screen, however, using a ruler and from my perspective (6 ft tall, sitting ~3.5ft away) Something 8" tall would be required to break my line of sight with the bottom of the screen.

In other words, I could place your center speaker in front of the monitor and it wouldn't block any part of my view of the screen. This will of course change with the height/seating position/chair elevation of the viewer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I will go and see one of these TVs in person to get a better perspective.

Yea..exactly...

I also looked at availability at different stores on teir site..most said no..but a few said yes...So I convinced the wife i needed to buy NOW..so I did...

The site says the card isn't charged immediately, that I should expect a email within 24 hours with shipping, etc.

So, *crosses fingers*..my order will go through, even if they are discontinuing...

I just can't find any other desk on the web that would be so perfect for my complete new rig.

As a side note..jeesh..Ikea 's site really does blow hard. I mean, first off, it's not easy at all to find the accessories for something..etc..then..once you have it all together in the cart, get to step 3, put in your card info..waa laa...but IT NEVER tells you what the total price is! Says shipping will be totaled later, yada yada..wtf? LOL :confused:

They got my by the short hairs though, as that is the THE ONE desk I want...but man...how can a business in this day and age have such utter shit for eCommerce? :eek: Weak.

Regardless, I just hope I can get the damn desk. ;)

I called before placing the order online...and the CSR on the phone said it was "discontinued"

Hopefully, he's wrong, as yes, the site doesn't show it discontinued. But the rep on the phone did, and usually the phone call is more accurate than a site.

We'll see *crosses fingers again*

O..BTW..back on topic...the Westy fricking rocks. So glad I chose it over the 30' inch displays. At least for me, i appreciate the larger size font at the native res. Definitely easier on the eyes.

Man, i see some serious ghosting in the 1st CSSource screen round the player models, That what it always looks like?, mine should be here by Tues but im gonna be seriously bummed if it ghosts like that. This things gonna be used for gaming all the time so that'd kinda suck.

Man, i see some serious ghosting in the 1st CSSource screen round the player models, That what it always looks like?, mine should be here by Tues but im gonna be seriously bummed if it ghosts like that. This things gonna be used for gaming all the time so that'd kinda suck.

It's his picture, trust me. I haven't noticed a lick of ghosting while gaming on this thing.

:D Thats what i wanted to hear!
Just spoke to the company that was gonna deliver her to me, they said the damn things still on the plane from Cali, must be flying on a microlite over the ocean.
Turns out they allow customer pick up though so im gonna go get her when she lands!
1 hour away roughly so not bad, they couldnt deliver til Wed or Thurs and i cant wait any longer, im too excited.

I wanted to know if anyone has any links or listings for wall mounts for the 37" Westy, at least ones that they recommend. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

Thats BS.... This thing ghosts... It will do it on games, and movies... Mainly movies that have a lot of camera moving. The games ghost fairly bad, and will make you not wanna play them after a while... Or you may just get used to them...

Thats BS.... This thing ghosts... It will do it on games, and movies... Mainly movies that have a lot of camera moving. The games ghost fairly bad, and will make you not wanna play them after a while... Or you may just get used to them...

Uh... I have done pleanty of gaming and movie watching, and have not noticed a lick of ghosting. There is nothing to "get used to".... I don't know what your seeing. I sit 2-3ft from the screen, and I see no ghosting.

errr... sup kinson?

tell us about your setup then..maybe you haven't configured your gear to get the best out of it...

what connection are you using? what vid card?

I play PC, Xbox360, PS3, and Wii on this and i'll also vouch for the no ghosting. Or at least no noticeable ghosting.

Lets compare our settings. Guys that notice ghosting, what do you have your brightness, contrast, sharpness, back light, etc etc at?

ok...

My sitting range varies of course for what I'm doing, gaming I'm usually just a few feet away, movies, a good 6+ feet away (recommended range for this tv according to some chart I found for HD tvs), xbox varies, as I sit close and back depending on the games I play.

First off, I run cable HDMI 1080i res for HD, and then crap for normal channels, for that setup my tv is

Brightness 50
Contrast 60
Sat 56
Hue 0
Temp cool
Sharp 40

for xbox, I use component. setup is...

Bright 50
cont 55
sat 60
hue 0
temp cool
Sharp 40
and ratio fill, because the widescreen setup for xbox does not work unless you fill it...

For my pc, my specs are at the bottom of the page, I use the 8800gtx obviously I use dvi input/output, I see ghosting in games such as oblivion, bf2142, cs, all fast action paced games... I have it set for 1080p output, aa on, asf on when accepted... I do not do application controlled unless I need to. tv setup is...

bright 50
cont 50
sat 60
hue 0
temp cool
sharp 40
ration stand
bl 60

I'm not the only person here, at my house that sees it... When they're here, my brothers do, my friends do, and of course I do. I've tried everything I can to get rid of the ghosting, but there just does not seem to be anything that will work... Unless you have the answer...

Have not tried my PS2 yet, and will have a 360 here in a week or so. Friend is getting a ps3, I will test it also... If a camera in a movie moves side to side, it makes me sick because it bounces its way instead of gliding... Watch The hills have eyes, they do a lot of camera sliding in that movie...

So whats the 'average' price for this display these days ? Any good deals like that Crutchfield $979 one awhile back ?

Will HDMI make a big difference on pic quality when using it for HD cable programming ? I'm using component right now and it looks pretty good but was wondering if I would benefit from HDMI ?

Will HDMI make a big difference on pic quality when using it for HD cable programming ? I'm using component right now and it looks pretty good but was wondering if I would benefit from HDMI ?

What is your source? DVI/HDMI will likely look better.

From my understanding the difference between component and HDMI is minimal, the only reason I use HDMI is because it also supports audio, if I have anything else that will be better for hdmi, I will use component for my cable, and hdmi for other... As of right now though, I have nothing else...

I got mine this weekend from Conns and I love this thing,I am using the MYHD-130 tuner card and it looks shhwwweeeet.!

PS. How do you check the firmware on this thing?

Back