Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

At my local Best Buy, I stood with my head about 3-4 feet from a 37" monitor and just had a hard time seeing the entire picture without really moving my eyes back and forth or actually moving my head. I was wondering if you eventually adjust and get used to the size somehow... I may look at other 32" monitors instead or even the Dell 24". Just wish the price on the Dell would come down a bit, considering you can get half a dozen other 22"ers for like half the price.

I currently have a 2407 so when I get the Westinghouse I'll take a couple pictures to compare the two. I can hook up the 2407 via VGA and the Westy via DVI so you can get a real good comparison. My Westinghouse will be about 3' away from me so I'll let you know how that works out as well. I am a little concerned as well that it may be too big and is a reason why I havent sold my 2407 yet. But if all goes well as I am hoping then there is no looking back....I just cant wait to see the look on my wife's face when she sees the new screen. She already calls the 2407 a movie theater screen. :D

I ordered a memory foam mattress set (Bergad) in the summer, and it shipped via freight. The freight company called to ask me what day and what block of time was good for them to come by. The drive was driving a semi, so they asked me to make sure the guy could get in and out of my apartment complex. The driver drove up next to my building, and my boyfriend and I went out to pick up our new mattress, and the guy drove off. I asked for the 8-11am slot and the guy got to us at about 9.

Not the most convenient method, but your stuff will get to you. I imagine the freight companies also have variations in how they treat things, but I'm hoping Newegg's is one of the better ones.
Yes, that's what Crutchfield does too. They use Eagle Freight and as soon as Eagle has your package they contact you to schedule a delivery time "window." Unfortunately, in my area I had very limited choice (morning only), as it is a little college town in the middle of nowhere. But still, it's pretty cool. No need for tracking #s or anything. Now I just gotta hope they find my dorm hall! :p

I was just wondering what sort of cables and power connectors I need with this LCD monitor. I plan on using it as a TV w/ HD programming and a monitor.

Thank you.

I was just wondering what sort of cables and power connectors I need with this LCD monitor. I plan on using it as a TV w/ HD programming and a monitor.

Thank you.

It uses a standard PC power cable.

You will need a cable box to view TV on this monitor. If you can get a cable box with DVI or HDMI ports otherwise you will more than likely need to connect it with component.

For PC I highly recomend using a DVI connection.

More than likely you will end up using 2 DVI ports/cables. That's how mine is setup and everything works flawlessly.

Or get a decent Tv Tuner, like the Theater pro based cards from an ATI partner. I have a Sapphire Theatre 500 Pro PCI TV/FM tuner in my box (on occassion, since I am still designing my HTPC case that it will eventually call home), and then run the video out from my Crossfire setup via DVI to the monitor, it's sweet!

The cheapest way to watch TV without having to turn on your PC is through a VCR. Quality won't be too good, of course.

This is not an issue for those who keep their PC running 24/7, of course...

I saw the 42" Westy Open Box on sale @ BB for 1349...Is that good? B/c the LVM37-W3 was the same price for an Open Box

I paid $1047 +tax for my 37 inch Westy at Sam's Club here in Las Vegas. I picked it up myself, I hate paying $90-$100 for shipping.

well i called AIT they said they will call probably monday to make an apppointment!
ewwwww........and it will be in san francisco tonight!?

well ive gone my lifetime witout it so a couple extra days won't kill me.
was the open box one at BB 1080p.

It uses a standard PC power cable.

You will need a cable box to view TV on this monitor. If you can get a cable box with DVI or HDMI ports otherwise you will more than likely need to connect it with component.

For PC I highly recomend using a DVI connection.

More than likely you will end up using 2 DVI ports/cables. That's how mine is setup and everything works flawlessly.
ditto...DVI will give you the best picture from both sources...your hd cable box should have a dvi out on it when u get it...if it doesnt...its junk
my pc is on dvi 1..my cable box is on dvi 2

[QUOTE='[Retaliation]ditto...DVI will give you the best picture from both sources...your hd cable box should have a dvi out on it when u get it...if it doesnt...its junk
my pc is on dvi 1..my cable box is on dvi 2[/QUOTE]

Is DVI currently better than HDMI?

My Westy is coming tomorrow, but I'll be at the Microsoft Launch event scoring a free copy of Office 2007. I hope to get home before FedEx tries to deliver. I bought it straight up for use as my main monitor. However, I will probably dabble with plugging the HD Cable in as well. Is DVI preferable to HDMI?

I'm very lucky to live near the warehouse, I'm supposed to be getting mine in a few hours. I'll try to post pictures when I get a chance. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get no stuck pixels.

Is DVI currently better than HDMI?

My Westy is coming tomorrow, but I'll be at the Microsoft Launch event scoring a free copy of Office 2007. I hope to get home before FedEx tries to deliver. I bought it straight up for use as my main monitor. However, I will probably dabble with plugging the HD Cable in as well. Is DVI preferable to HDMI?
dvi gives u a better image...but hdmi supplies the image and audio through the same cable...the difference imo isnt much...but dvi is best

I'll follow up on that audio question. Like many others, I can't afford a digital receiver AND I'm not an audiophile. So I want to use one set of speakers for two audio sources without a receiver or a switch.

Here's my plan... dunno if it works or not...

1) I won't use the Westy's built-in speakers. I want to use my Klipsch Ultra 2.0, that of course have no RCA or optical... just stereo.
2) I'll use a 3.5mm stereo cable splitter (2 females to 1 male) to plug into the speakers and split the signal.
3) Connect one end of the stereo cable to the PC.
4) Connect the other end to an Xbox 360 (and/or any other device that outputs RCA audio) using a RCA adapter (3.5mm male to 2 RCA female).

I know that the two (or more: just use more splitters) audio sources will overlap each other---but is it physically possible without huge loss of sound quality?

Thanks in advance for advice. :)

Nice Willyiv. Please do Post some pics!

re: using the addon pivot platforms ( like $20 ea irc ) they can handle the weight of a mid sized tower? The Maingear F131 is a Lian Li, not sure what the approx wt is... hmm..thats not a bad idea.

Also, with the Ikea Jerker... it looks strong in the pics I have seen...is that true.. nice and solid? It looks like a industrial strength work bench, which is kinda cool imo. I wish there was a Ikea nearby. they are alledgedly building one in Orlando.. about 1.5 hours from here in Tampa Bay area. Thats the key... strength. The ones I looked at at Office Depot just seemed way to flimsy.

I paid $120 to ship one to Miami and it was totally worth it. Great desk. Westinghouse gets here tomorrow.

Ok, so I looked at the Jerker Ikea desks... No one near me sells them...

I saw some pictures of jerker desks that look alot different then the ones I've seen on here... The pictures I've seen off google, the desk had like 6 other little extensions off of it for other things... ... I know this is off topic, but I need a desk to put this big ass thing on... So... In a way it sorta deals with the topic ;)

you mean the optical for the audio ? buy a reciever for sound ?

optical or coax is digital audio.. most digital or hd cable boxes have both, or at least one to output the 5.1 surround sound. If you want the full 5.1, you need to output that way. If you just want cheap audio, use the rca cables that are red and white.

I currently have a 2407 so when I get the Westinghouse I'll take a couple pictures to compare the two. I can hook up the 2407 via VGA and the Westy via DVI so you can get a real good comparison. My Westinghouse will be about 3' away from me so I'll let you know how that works out as well. I am a little concerned as well that it may be too big and is a reason why I havent sold my 2407 yet. But if all goes well as I am hoping then there is no looking back....I just cant wait to see the look on my wife's face when she sees the new screen. She already calls the 2407 a movie theater screen. :D

Thanks, SleeplessIncubus! That's cool, cuz the 2407 is one of the options I'm looking at. I'm really looking forward to your pics and your opinion on the close viewing distance... :)

I'm wanting the larger 47"model now. I think my 37" is too small.

Anyone lives near South Carolina and wants to save a few hundred dollars on 37" 1080p westy?

I'm wondering what comes with this unit cable-wise.... just power? or does it come with DVI, HDMI, stuff like that? Thanks.

Also... take this for what it is worth, but someone posted on AVS forums that they waited a long time to get through to Westy..... but spoke with a rep (and the person posted the name, case #, etc.) that the 37" is not discontinued. They said that it will be produced for approx. 6 months yet, and that it would be replaced by another 37" model that won't be a LVM (monitor only). I suppose they will have to add tuners and stuff to it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9495600&&#post9495600

I'm always a little skeptical of stuff like this, as this seems like a bit too much info from a rep, and I've often heard reps give wrong info.... but at least this seems more logical to me... and is good news if it is accurate. I won't be able to wait for the new one... and will probably want to buy within a few days anyway... but just passing this along.

I'm wondering what comes with this unit cable-wise.... just power? or does it come with DVI, HDMI, stuff like that? Thanks.

The only cable mine had when I opened it yesterday was a power cable inside the box.

it just comes with a power cable. I had to order some cables from monoprice.com but all in all, i dont mind it didnt come with any cables. Most of the time the cables that are included with these types of things stink and they might charge u an extra 100 bux for the crappy cables. I'd rather choose and buy my own for less.

Ahhhhhh it's hereeeee! :D Timely delivery... guy unpacked it/mounted it... no dead pixels! *double grin* Pics coming soon.

X360 looks great despite being only 720p (it's connected through VGA but still won't output 1080p... must be because it's a crappy generic $10 cable; Monster VGA coming in tomorrow).

DVDs look really good, too, all things considered. SDTV, well, it's SDTV. Not as bad as I thought, though. HBO through analog cable is almost DVD quality (almost).

Oh, did I mention this thing is BIG? :p

I'm wanting the larger 47"model now. I think my 37" is too small.

Anyone lives near South Carolina and wants to save a few hundred dollars on 37" 1080p westy?

Hey bud, consider it sold, ill be there next weekend to pick it up.

you either run rca's to the tv, or go digital to your reciever.

can you elaborate more on this, sorry im a n00b when it comes to HDTVs. when you say go digital, do you mean the optical audio that comes from the cable set top box to the TV ? where is the optical input on the TV ? this probably doesnt make sense but can you just elaborate a little more.

Ok, so I looked at the Jerker Ikea desks... No one near me sells them...

I saw some pictures of jerker desks that look alot different then the ones I've seen on here... The pictures I've seen off google, the desk had like 6 other little extensions off of it for other things... ... I know this is off topic, but I need a desk to put this big ass thing on... So... In a way it sorta deals with the topic ;)

None of the Ikea's near you sell Jerkers? I thought they all sold them.

grrrr

I missed the FedEx truck this AM. Went to the Microsoft Launch. yay! Free Software. Anyway, got home early, saw the FedEx tag on my door. Called FedEX to see if they could get the driver to come by again. newp. "they have no way of communicating with the drivers"

/shrug

So, I suspect I'll be feeling ill in the AM, /cough ,and take a half day off to wait for em. :p

Have to say though, buydig.com seems to have been a reputable site to work with. So far anway. :cool:

The only cable mine had when I opened it yesterday was a power cable inside the box.

it just comes with a power cable. I had to order some cables from monoprice.com but all in all, i dont mind it didnt come with any cables. Most of the time the cables that are included with these types of things stink and they might charge u an extra 100 bux for the crappy cables. I'd rather choose and buy my own for less.

Thanks.... I agree. I was just wondering if I need to order cables, and couldn't find any info on what was in the box. I've heard great things about monoprice and I have usually ordered in the past from pacificcable.com. The cables I've gotten have always been better quality than anything I could have bought in the stores for WAY less $. Heh, I had a guy at RadioShack tell me there was no way I could get a good component video cable for under $50... LOL.

can you elaborate more on this, sorry im a n00b when it comes to HDTVs. when you say go digital, do you mean the optical audio that comes from the cable set top box to the TV ? where is the optical input on the TV ? this probably doesnt make sense but can you just elaborate a little more.

I think they must have been just talking about audio.... go optical if possible. The only optical on the westy for audio is the HDMI.... and that wouldn't make too much sense sense (other than convenience), since I don't think the speakers/audio on it could be that great. Then you're stuck with RCA's (analog) out of the TV to your stereo system.

I'd just not worry about the audio on the TV if you have a stereo... just run the sound to the stereo unit directly using optical if it has it. If not, I suppose the TV makes a nice switcher for audio... but I always wonder how much quality is lost (or noise added) in TVs. Maybe LCDs are different, but I've never had good luck with CRTs in this regard. (maybe less noise added without all the high voltage electronics of a CRT).

The big difference between staying optical vs analog for your audio (unless you have a really awesome sound system) is not so much quality of the sound, but that optical would retain surround sound information. Once you go analog, you lose DTS or Dolby Digital. You can still get surround, but it is encoded onto the stereo (L&R) signal, and is kind of 'decoded' off much like Dolby B, etc. on tape decks. It's just sort of, kind of there. If you stay digital (say from your DVD player, set-top-box, etc), then your receiver decodes surround... you'll get a pure signal for each of your surround channels.

The whole HDMI thing is kind of a mess for this. Unless you have a receiver with HDMI in/out, it makes it more complicated to understand. The idea is having all the stuff in one cable... but how many people want to run digital surround to their TV? I think it was more an excuse to get consumers onboard with HDCP DRM stuff... and get off the other connection types. If you have a receiver (without HDMI), what you basically do is run the HDMI to the TV for video, then run the optical output of your DVD player (etc.) to your receiver.

Thanks.... I agree. I was just wondering if I need to order cables, and couldn't find any info on what was in the box. I've heard great things about monoprice and I have usually ordered in the past from pacificcable.com. The cables I've gotten have always been better quality than anything I could have bought in the stores for WAY less $. Heh, I had a guy at RadioShack tell me there was no way I could get a good component video cable for under $50... LOL.

I think they must have been just talking about audio.... go optical if possible. The only optical on the westy for audio is the HDMI.... and that wouldn't make too much sense sense (other than convenience), since I don't think the speakers/audio on it could be that great. Then you're stuck with RCA's (analog) out of the TV to your stereo system.

I'd just not worry about the audio on the TV if you have a stereo... just run the sound to the stereo unit directly using optical if it has it. If not, I suppose the TV makes a nice switcher for audio... but I always wonder how much quality is lost (or noise added) in TVs. Maybe LCDs are different, but I've never had good luck with CRTs in this regard. (maybe less noise added without all the high voltage electronics of a CRT).

The big difference between staying optical vs analog for your audio (unless you have a really awesome sound system) is not so much quality of the sound, but that optical would retain surround sound information. Once you go analog, you lose DTS or Dolby Digital. You can still get surround, but it is encoded onto the stereo (L&R) signal, and is kind of 'decoded' off much like Dolby B, etc. on tape decks. It's just sort of, kind of there. If you stay digital (say from your DVD player, set-top-box, etc), then your receiver decodes surround... you'll get a pure signal for each of your surround channels.

The whole HDMI thing is kind of a mess for this. Unless you have a receiver with HDMI in/out, it makes it more complicated to understand. The idea is having all the stuff in one cable... but how many people want to run digital surround to their TV? I think it was more an excuse to get consumers onboard with HDCP DRM stuff... and get off the other connection types. If you have a receiver (without HDMI), what you basically do is run the HDMI to the TV for video, then run the optical output of your DVD player (etc.) to your receiver.

so what all do i need cable wise if i just want to use the speakers that comes with the Westy. I will be getting a cable box to watch HD programming; I'm not sure what connectors the cable box has but I assume they are all pretty much the same.

None of the Ikea's near you sell Jerkers? I thought they all sold them.

I do not have an Ikea in Alabama... There is one in Georgia... When I get the money and time I can drive and pick it up... It's not big deal...

My main question though was about the extensions to the sides...

EX... http://www.penmachine.com/jerker_desk.html

Does it come with the extension shelves or what ?? Cause if it does, then I'm feeling a sure buy... If not then I might look into another...

I do not have an Ikea in Alabama... There is one in Georgia... When I get the money and time I can drive and pick it up... It's not big deal...

My main question though was about the extensions to the sides...

EX... http://www.penmachine.com/jerker_desk.html

Does it come with the extension shelves or what ?? Cause if it does, then I'm feeling a sure buy... If not then I might look into another...

There is a version of the desk with the shelving, and one without. I personally bought the one without it, since I thought it looked a little silly..and I didn't need it :p

Well, I've yet to see the version with...

I don't NEED it... But I would like to have shelves on it so I can place all my gaming consoles, my cable box, my tv of course, and some other things that deal with pc, gaming, yadda yadda... Some dvds if needed, a chess board ;) LOL... and whatever else might come in mind... I'm looking to get junk OFF my floor and onto something useful :p...

Small rooms, and gamers = NASTY ASS !!

The side shelves are additional... they are $20 ea They also have cable management devices for 12.99 too :p

Ikea 's site kinda sucks to navigate... I use the search bot to find the stuff.

Back