Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

in for one at newegg as well.
i knew they would show up.. been patienty/impatiently waiting.

I checked mwave.com and noticed they are now out of stock of the Westys. My order wouldn't have been approved until tomorrow morning. Pointless to wait so I canceled the mwave order and ordered from newegg with the warranty. I paid a bit more because of sales tax, but I actually trust newegg to get it to me without dicking around on approval because of a different shipping address. Hopefully the Westy gets sent out from their Memphis warehouse, since I'm only about six hours away from there. Can't wait!

I wonder how many newegg actually has instock because clearly they aren't going to complete any orders today, due to MLK day. So are some of us going to be screwed if the stock counter is updated properly? and we end up ordering more than they have?

I asked how many they received today, they said 20.
Unfortunately theyre shipping from California, i asked also as i live near Philly, lots of stuff ships from their warehouse in Jersey so i'da had mine the next day.
So, 20 in stock at 7pm eastern when i ordered mine. Already a few guys on here put orders in too. Id suggest jumping on this now if anyone wants to be sure they'll get one.

Unfortunately theyre shipping from California, i asked also as i live near Philly, lots of stuff ships from their warehouse in Jersey so i'da had mine the next day.
So, 20 in stock at 7pm eastern when i ordered mine. Already a few guys on here put orders in too. Id suggest jumping on this now if anyone wants to be sure they'll get one.

i know the deal was posted on anandtech as well so im sure ppl have been ordering.
i put my order in ~4pm pacific so hopefully ill get one.

So someone answered the phone when you called in I take it? So that gives me hope that orders were being processed at some time today. I placed my order in at 5:45PST, which makes me a bit worried. Oh well.

I called everywhere yesterday, and i mean everywhere. Most places said they were just waiting on a delivery, but had been waiting for weeks. Some said to check again next Friday. Some said they had no idea when to expect them in. The few who had them wanted $1300 ish plus shipping.

w00t...

I came to tell you all that I got the Notification from Newegg thaey were in..which was faster than the site's most recent post saying 1/19

But, alas, I had already laid down the cash thru buydig.com . So far, VERY impressed with buydig. Ordered yesterday AM, got the SHIPPED info in the afternoon, waited til after 10pm as the email shows to check FedEx, sure enough, in their hands and due to be delivered the 18th! once again, total I pd was 1397 - 1199 westy, 69 Monster DVi, 129 3 year ext warranty. I am satisfied with that, plus the immediate service!

Sadly, I wont have my new Maingear rig for a week or two, so It's gonna sit and wait for that. Now I need to figure out the desk arraignment, asap. Looked at Office Depot, all their desks look like toys =/ Still leaning back to the Ikea Jerker I guess.

Willyiv , newegg's site shows as still having them....

Grats to all of us that were able to jump on these! Lets all remember to come back and share our experiences and thoughts; about the retailers, and the Westy!

Does anyone know if the shipment guys let you test the unit first before signing? I remember reading about it on Newegg, ya know- about refusal of shipment if you, the buyer, is not satisfied (then you'll get a refund), but if you do sign then you cannot return it?

I only ask because if God forbid it has dead pixels I don't want to have to pay for shipping back and fourth for RMA's you know? If anyone has any advice, or tips let me know.

I've got a noobie question for those using this 37" as their main monitor.

It's my understanding that, based on Visual Acuity, the best viewing distance for this Westy is 4 - 5 feet. In addition, at this distance or less, can you really perceive the whole screen at once, or do you have to use your eyes or head to scan the picture?

I was just wondering if this was too large a screen for a desktop setup, for lets say gaming, where fast action requires you to see the whole picture at once?

M

I just got off the phone with Newegg.com. They quoted 20 units, sounds like they have not updated their system. I wonder if these are still available? I am going to place my order after lunch... I don't think these monitors are in stock anywhere else.

I pulled the trigger on the westy from newegg.com. Anyone know how long the turn around time is on the east coast?

Ahhhhh finally! Mine is coming on Thursday! :D I'll have to skip a class to get it, but it's so worth it.

Crutchfield uses Eagle Freight, who will deliver even to my college room. Since I got the free "White Glove" delivery, the guys will unpack the monitor and put it on my desk. I doubt that they're going to wait till I inspect it for dead pixels... but that's not too much of a worry: IIRC, Crutchfield pays for shipping back on returns.

*counts the hours till Thursday at 10 a.m.* :p

w00t...

I came to tell you all that I got the Notification from Newegg thaey were in..which was faster than the site's most recent post saying 1/19

But, alas, I had already laid down the cash thru buydig.com . So far, VERY impressed with buydig. Ordered yesterday AM, got the SHIPPED info in the afternoon, waited til after 10pm as the email shows to check FedEx, sure enough, in their hands and due to be delivered the 18th! once again, total I pd was 1397 - 1199 westy, 69 Monster DVi, 129 3 year ext warranty. I am satisfied with that, plus the immediate service!

Sadly, I wont have my new Maingear rig for a week or two, so It's gonna sit and wait for that. Now I need to figure out the desk arraignment, asap. Looked at Office Depot, all their desks look like toys =/ Still leaning back to the Ikea Jerker I guess.

Willyiv , newegg's site shows as still having them....

Grats to all of us that were able to jump on these! Lets all remember to come back and share our experiences and thoughts; about the retailers, and the Westy!

Ive had a Jerker for a year now, its by far the best desk ive ever had. Il be sure to post some pics of the set up when i get the Westy. I have an interesting set up with my computer sitting on one of the pivoting platforms, custom air ducting drawing freezing cold outside air into my case for overclocking goodness.

Nice Willyiv. Please do Post some pics!

re: using the addon pivot platforms ( like $20 ea irc ) they can handle the weight of a mid sized tower? The Maingear F131 is a Lian Li, not sure what the approx wt is... hmm..thats not a bad idea.

Also, with the Ikea Jerker... it looks strong in the pics I have seen...is that true.. nice and solid? It looks like a industrial strength work bench, which is kinda cool imo. I wish there was a Ikea nearby. they are alledgedly building one in Orlando.. about 1.5 hours from here in Tampa Bay area. Thats the key... strength. The ones I looked at at Office Depot just seemed way to flimsy.

I've got a noobie question for those using this 37" as their main monitor.

It's my understanding that, based on Visual Acuity, the best viewing distance for this Westy is 4 - 5 feet. In addition, at this distance or less, can you really perceive the whole screen at once, or do you have to use your eyes or head to scan the picture?

I was just wondering if this was too large a screen for a desktop setup, for lets say gaming, where fast action requires you to see the whole picture at once?

M

I sit about 3.5' from it (about the max given my setup) and i find it to be too large for the most part. I wouldn't say you need to move your head to see the whole screen, but you really do need to scan your eyes from one side to the other. I figured i would give it a few weeks before i made a decision, but with each passing day i consider going back to something more "reasonable". It's great for web browsing/chatting though. I just don't like it for gaming. Reading what most people have to say about this LCD i would put myself in the minority, but just my opinion on it.

So far I'm not a huge fan for gaming... I need to get completely setup though before i can really make that decision... I've had the monitor for 3 months now, but do not have enough room, or a desk big enough to set up properly... Once I have this I will then tell whether or not I really do enjoy it for gaming lol... But in the current state, thats a no... It really does not deal with the fact that I am "too close" or "too far" but more or so the fact that I see 'ghosting'... Egh, I dunno...

Thanks Sucka and Kinson; I suspected as much. I've got a lowly 32 HDTV Samsung and if I'm less that 3 - 4 feet from that sucker, I too find I just can't see the whole screen; I just can't take it all in if there's tons of action.

For static browsing, photos, movies, etc. it's great, but I just can't see going so large for gaming unless you're doing it from the couch. This helps with my next purchase.

M

Nice Willyiv. Please do Post some pics!

re: using the addon pivot platforms ( like $20 ea irc ) they can handle the weight of a mid sized tower? The Maingear F131 is a Lian Li, not sure what the approx wt is... hmm..thats not a bad idea.

Also, with the Ikea Jerker... it looks strong in the pics I have seen...is that true.. nice and solid? It looks like a industrial strength work bench, which is kinda cool imo. I wish there was a Ikea nearby. they are alledgedly building one in Orlando.. about 1.5 hours from here in Tampa Bay area. Thats the key... strength. The ones I looked at at Office Depot just seemed way to flimsy.

$250 to have a "Jerker" shipped to Wyoming from the website, almost twice the cost of the item itself. Nice workspace though!

woohoo got my newegg tracking number. looks like it was shipped out today at noon. was being shipped from lax to ny. could it be possible that i'll get it tomorrow? :)

for those that have ordered one from newegg in the past.....it says on their website

Bulk Item Return Policy

Summary

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable
Detail
This is our Detailed Bulk Item Return Policy. Bulk Items (including but not limited to such items as Air Conditioners, Home Entertainment Systems and Televisions 24 inches and larger) cannot be returned to Newegg.com for refund or replacement service. Therefore, you are urged to carefully examine the box your bulk item ships in before signing for the package. Should you observe any damage to the shipping box, or if the wrong product was sent, you must refuse delivery while the shipping courier is still on the premises. The item will be returned to Newegg.com and you will be refunded the full amount, including applicable shipping costs and tax.

If you determine upon inspection that the condition of the shipping box is satisfactory, an adult is required to sign the shipping courier's release form to complete delivery. By signing this release, you are acknowledging and agreeing to Newegg.com's Terms and Conditions, understanding that you cannot return the television to Newegg.com and that the condition of the delivery meets your expectations. After delivery, please read all included documentation and/or contact the manufacturer directly to determine applicable warranty coverage, if any.

I'm assuming that they wont let me install the thing and look for dead pixels, etc before they leave so all i can do is inspect the box for damage. if there is no damage then im pretty much on my own....that correct? i got the extended warranty so maybe im a little more covered. am i right in this thinking?

woohoo got my newegg tracking number. looks like it was shipped out today at noon. was being shipped from lax to ny. could it be possible that i'll get it tomorrow? :)

for those that have ordered one from newegg in the past.....it says on their website

Bulk Item Return Policy

Summary

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable
Detail
This is our Detailed Bulk Item Return Policy. Bulk Items (including but not limited to such items as Air Conditioners, Home Entertainment Systems and Televisions 24 inches and larger) cannot be returned to Newegg.com for refund or replacement service. Therefore, you are urged to carefully examine the box your bulk item ships in before signing for the package. Should you observe any damage to the shipping box, or if the wrong product was sent, you must refuse delivery while the shipping courier is still on the premises. The item will be returned to Newegg.com and you will be refunded the full amount, including applicable shipping costs and tax.

If you determine upon inspection that the condition of the shipping box is satisfactory, an adult is required to sign the shipping courier's release form to complete delivery. By signing this release, you are acknowledging and agreeing to Newegg.com's Terms and Conditions, understanding that you cannot return the television to Newegg.com and that the condition of the delivery meets your expectations. After delivery, please read all included documentation and/or contact the manufacturer directly to determine applicable warranty coverage, if any.

I'm assuming that they wont let me install the thing and look for dead pixels, etc before they leave so all i can do is inspect the box for damage. if there is no damage then im pretty much on my own....that correct? i got the extended warranty so maybe im a little more covered. am i right in this thinking?

My dad was telling me if you pay the guy like 20 bucks or something to stick around for 5 minutes while you test it, they'll prolly let you get away with it. That's what I'm gonna do, it's worth a shot..beats RMA'ng it if Godforbid anything is wrong..that's another $100 outta my pocket :(!

mine shipped from newegg today as well.
theres no tracking # that shows up tho.

i also ordered a desk. the ambience L workcenter desk.
pretty sweet desk i think. you can sit the monitor up to like 5ft back

i have the same desk...but mine is a corner desk. just got it a couple weeks ago for my office. ill be posting the pics once the 37" is setup and im done configuring the office.

At long last I'm finally getting my monitor. For some lame ass reason though I have to personally go to customs and pick it up. Those idiots I ordered it from said they were going to use UPS but they cheaped out and used some generic freight carrier. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to drive an hour to Frankfurt Airport. Whatever. I've been through so much trying to get this damn thing, I just want it now. I can't wait to leave Germany.

Looks to be back in stock at JR.com for $1199.00 + ~ $60 shipping. I am still waiting for it to come back in stock at Crutchfield, I don't think it will be too much longer.

i have the same desk...but mine is a corner desk. just got it a couple weeks ago for my office. ill be posting the pics once the 37" is setup and im done configuring the office.

heh so is mine! its the L ambience.

kickass desk you must have good taste. :p
well it looks like i finally got an ati tracking #.. iam in san francisco and its being shipped from LAX. do i have to call ATI and setup a delivery schedule or something?

Same here, waiting for the magical tracking info. I want this here by the end of the week. I'm dying with anticipation.

Im stoked for all you guys who have your Westy on the way, its been over 24 hours since i ordered mine from Newegg so im hoping its gonna ship tommorrow:(
I was wondering the same thing about ATI's delivery method too.

I ordered a memory foam mattress set (Bergad) in the summer, and it shipped via freight. The freight company called to ask me what day and what block of time was good for them to come by. The drive was driving a semi, so they asked me to make sure the guy could get in and out of my apartment complex. The driver drove up next to my building, and my boyfriend and I went out to pick up our new mattress, and the guy drove off. I asked for the 8-11am slot and the guy got to us at about 9.

Not the most convenient method, but your stuff will get to you. I imagine the freight companies also have variations in how they treat things, but I'm hoping Newegg's is one of the better ones.

hmm they will have a hard time calling me. the # i have listed with newegg is bogus.
:p

i guess ill try to call the 1800 number tommorow morning.

Also, with the Ikea Jerker... it looks strong in the pics I have seen...is that true.. nice and solid? It looks like a industrial strength work bench, which is kinda cool imo.

It is a REALLY strong desk. It can also be set up a number of different ways... height is variable, etc. There are also add-ons available for it. You can get an extension to go up one more level with another shelf above. There are small swinging 'table' like attachments for a printer or scanner to sit on, that attach to the side bars.

It all comes apart too for transport, and goes together with heavy duty allen bolts. It is a very nice desk.

I've got a lowly 32 HDTV Samsung and if I'm less that 3 - 4 feet from that sucker, I too find I just can't see the whole screen; I just can't take it all in if there's tons of action.

Yea, I think those 'screen size / distance' charts are set up by the people hoping to sell lots of huge screens... LOL. The chart that I have says that I should have a 50" to 60" screen at 7' - 8' feet away.... they wish. I also don't sit in the front row when I go to the theatre either...

What I can't believe, is that I've heard many people and reports say that you can't really tell 720p from 1080p at a normal viewing distance on a 37" screen. I have a hard time believing that, as it is almost double the pixels. I wish I had a chance to test that one out, as I could certainly save some $$ if I was happy with 720p.... though that would kind of kill using it as a computer monitor.

Thanks Sucka and Kinson; I suspected as much. I've got a lowly 32 HDTV Samsung and if I'm less that 3 - 4 feet from that sucker, I too find I just can't see the whole screen; I just can't take it all in if there's tons of action.

For static browsing, photos, movies, etc. it's great, but I just can't see going so large for gaming unless you're doing it from the couch. This helps with my next purchase.

M

I second that, thanks Sucka and Kinson. I've been intermittently asking for opinions on sitting that close to the monitor and nobody really answers me back. A huge number of the posts are banter back and forth about monitors shipping from wherever, how soon they'll get there, etc.

At my local Best Buy, I stood with my head about 3-4 feet from a 37" monitor and just had a hard time seeing the entire picture without really moving my eyes back and forth or actually moving my head. I was wondering if you eventually adjust and get used to the size somehow... I may look at other 32" monitors instead or even the Dell 24". Just wish the price on the Dell would come down a bit, considering you can get half a dozen other 22"ers for like half the price.

I second that, thanks Sucka and Kinson. I've been intermittently asking for opinions on sitting that close to the monitor and nobody really answers me back. A huge number of the posts are banter back and forth about monitors shipping from wherever, how soon they'll get there, etc.

At my local Best Buy, I stood with my head about 3-4 feet from a 37" monitor and just had a hard time seeing the entire picture without really moving my eyes back and forth or actually moving my head. I was wondering if you eventually adjust and get used to the size somehow... I may look at other 32" monitors instead or even the Dell 24". Just wish the price on the Dell would come down a bit, considering you can get half a dozen other 22"ers for like half the price.

NP. From strictly a computer monitor standpoint i would stick with something smaller personally. I think i'll be going back to my Dell 2007WFP here soon. Don't get me wrong, it's a great computer screen, but i've found it to be more useful for me as my primary TV along with my Xbox360 display. Having to move my eyes around so much to view the entire screen has caused me some eye strain over the last few weeks too. With that said, i would buy it all over again ;)

Back