Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

The issue of this model being discontinued is correct to some degree. Although Westinghouse will probably continue making these for a couple more months, as of March 1, 2007 all TV's regardless of size will have to be made with at least the ATSC tuner that is widely available to most TV's today. Now companies may be trying to get around this by saying "its not a tv its a monitor" and that could work for awhile I guess, but in the end the 37w3 will have to be changed to include a tuner.:D
ive already posted this once...but ill post it again for the new folks....the LVM W3 is NOT discontinued...i spoke with Westinghouse about this issue not long ago(in response to Crutchfields website claiming it is)...its not...its a new model...the problem lays with the availability of the monitor...soooo many ppl want one....Westinghouse is doing its best to keep up with demand...but they have other models to produce as well...my best advise to those that want one....be patient...and keep looking

I am considering getting one of these or the 42" model for use as a pc moniter and mainly as an HDTV. Can I just get an HDTV tuner card for my pc to recieve OTA HD broadcasts? I need to replace my moniter for my pc and was strongly considering the Dell 2407 but for a few hundred bucks more I thought I could go this route and take care of my moniter and HDTV needs all at once, I'm just not quite sure what will be the best route to get HD content. I currently have Time Warner cable and would probably want to upgrade to their HD package as well. Basically I need to know what kind of external tuner I'll have to get.

I am considering getting one of these or the 42" model for use as a pc moniter and mainly as an HDTV. Can I just get an HDTV tuner card for my pc to recieve OTA HD broadcasts? I need to replace my moniter for my pc and was strongly considering the Dell 2407 but for a few hundred bucks more I thought I could go this route and take care of my moniter and HDTV needs all at once, I'm just not quite sure what will be the best route to get HD content. I currently have Time Warner cable and would probably want to upgrade to their HD package as well. Basically I need to know what kind of external tuner I'll have to get.

Why not get a stand alone tuner? Then you don't need your PC to be on to watch TV.

Well, I think it's understandable to be a little nervous with all the rumors of being discontinued, and I have had to learn a couple of lessons this past year about believing what companies say about their products and plans for their products.

Right now, I"m not sure what to think. On one hand, I don't want to jump the gun and order it for $1400 if I could get it for $1100 in two weeks. On the other hand, $1400 for it is better than losing my chance to get one. Looking around, few companies even have a 37" model, and they're usually 720p, so to me it looks like the market trend is to have 42" and larger 1080p, or 32" and smaller 720p.

I've looked at the 32w6 720p TV, and I have to say that I am quite impressed with the panel's image quality. That was my last mis-giving about getting the 37w3. Best Buy has the 32w6 on sale for $700 right now in case anyone wants a smaller TV for any reason. Heck I would've walked out the door with it if it had a DVI input and could be set to a higher resolution for PC use, or if I was not looking for a higher res PC monitor.

Kind of off-topic, but are UFC PPVs available in 720p or higher? That'd be so awesome!

Why not get a stand alone tuner? Then you don't need your PC to be on to watch TV.
Question: by stand-alone tuner you mean a non-PCI TV tuner? Something like an external box to connect directly to the TV? I was considering some from KWorld, Sabrent, and AverMedia (external with remote), such as this. I was wondering if I could just watch TV on the Westy with one of those without turning on the PC.

Question: by stand-alone tuner you mean a non-PCI TV tuner? Something like an external box to connect directly to the TV? I was considering some from KWorld, Sabrent, and AverMedia (external with remote), such as this. I was wondering if I could just watch TV on the Westy with one of those without turning on the PC.

It doesn't seem that there is a good HDTV (QAM over cable) and SDTV pci tuner card. Is there a good external tuner that can manage this?

Thanks in advance... trying to find the best way to watch cable on my set (don't have a digital cable box).

Hey what do you guys do about turning the monitor on and off ?

I leave my pc running 24/7 so i just have the power options in XP to turn the monitor
off after 25 minutes of non use , which it does then proceeds to leave just the backlight lit
and thats it .

I know about the DPMS option in the Westy menu which will turn the monitor completely
off .

This being my first LCD im just wandering if it is all right to leave the monitor in this state or
should i turn the monitor completely off when not in use ?

So glad i went with Westy37'' instead of getting the BenQ-FP241W well worth it !!!

hope you guys can help .

Hey what do you guys do about turning the monitor on and off ?

I leave my pc running 24/7 so i just have the power options in XP to turn the monitor
off after 25 minutes of non use , which it does then proceeds to leave just the backlight lit
and thats it .

I know about the DPMS option in the Westy menu which will turn the monitor completely
off .

This being my first LCD im just wandering if it is all right to leave the monitor in this state or
should i turn the monitor completely off when not in use ?

So glad i went with Westy37'' instead of getting the BenQ-FP241W well worth it !!!

hope you guys can help .
I leave all 3 of my pc's going 24/7...just use the hibernate option..and turn your backlight down and you will be fine...my experience has taught me that you put more stress on hardware from constant on and off than you do leaving it on

you sure the backlight stays on in sleep mode? (when the blue light turns orange)..

my monitor is completely black in a dark room when in power off mode..

Right now, I"m not sure what to think. On one hand, I don't want to jump the gun and order it for $1400 if I could get it for $1100 in two weeks. On the other hand, $1400 for it is better than losing my chance to get one. Looking around, few companies even have a 37" model, and they're usually 720p, so to me it looks like the market trend is to have 42" and larger 1080p, or 32" and smaller 720p.

Yea, I agree. And some people have been getting them for as low as $800 it seems (pre tax and shipping). I'm just looking at the prices now, and going 'ekk' in comparison. :)

I'm a bit surprised that this is one of the few 37" that is 1080p... and seems nothing other than 24" computer LCDs that are 1080p. I'm limited by my environment.... the 37" westy is really the biggest I can do... and it seems the companies are losing interest in stuff this 'small'... LOL.

I've looked at the 32w6 720p TV, and I have to say that I am quite impressed with the panel's image quality. That was my last mis-giving about getting the 37w3. Best Buy has the 32w6 on sale for $700 right now in case anyone wants a smaller TV for any reason. Heck I would've walked out the door with it if it had a DVI input and could be set to a higher resolution for PC use, or if I was not looking for a higher res PC monitor.

Besides the DVI issue, one of my friends keeps telling me that he thinks I'll be really sorry if I get a non-1080p, even at 32"-37". I'd agree... it is like 1/2 the rez. I know the charts keep saying people can't tell the difference, but I don't believe it. He said his father-in-law bought a Sony Bravia (I think 32") and that he didn't think it looked nearly as nice as a 37" Westy from 5 or 6 feet back. He said from that distance he can easily tell between 720p and 1080p.

Anyone have some direct experience in this regard to share? (other than referencing charts most of us have probably seen). If viewing from say, 6' on a 32" to 37" screen.... can you tell between 1080p and 720p?

Also, I like the option of being able to use the Westy 37w3 as a computer monitor as well if I like. 1366x768 on a screen that large really doesn't seem like it would be any good for computer use... just TV.

you sure the backlight stays on in sleep mode? (when the blue light turns orange)..

my monitor is completely black in a dark room when in power off mode..
i do it through windows...not through the monitor...and my back light is @ 20% so i dont see it much anyways

37W3 has been phased out. End of Life, etc.

It was an odd size. The prtoducts shown at CES is the line going forward. To be clear, it was not present at booth as CES as it is no longer a product westinghouse is pushing to the buyers. All the new products have a much higher contrast level, and improved specifications.

I ordered mine on 12/31 at Sams Club and it showed up on the 1st day of CES. Just got it running tonight. It's phenominal. I guess if you can find one - grab it whilst you can.

Thought I'd pass on details I picked up at the show. By the way... the top peeps at Westinghouse were estatic that the 37w3 is being used as a PC display. They are unaware of this thread.

[Retaliation];1030479819 said:
i do it through windows...not through the monitor...and my back light is @ 20% so i dont see it much anyways

yea i have mine set at 20minutes for Power off mode in windows power options..

the blue light goes orange after 20 minutes .. as far as i understand it this is almost the same thing as turning the monitor off (it turns off backlight and everything)..

has anyone that has been looking contacted newegg about when they expect any or if they really are getting any. they were supposed to have some on the 8th, then the 8th came around it changed to the 14th now.

Well, maybe I jumped the gun, but I ordered one for $1268, which includes 3-day fedex shipping from mwave. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the order or the westy when it comes in. Good incentive to clean off my desk now. :D My boyfriend is also excited, it means he gets a free upgrade to a 19" LCD. My mom has also offered to give him one of her TVs so now he actually wants to go visit, lol. Not before I get mine though.

wel i have been waiting for a westy 37 untill 1st nov. (international sale) so now i have cancelled and have gone with the dell 30"

[Retaliation];1030478462 said:
ive already posted this once...but ill post it again for the new folks....the LVM W3 is NOT discontinued...i spoke with Westinghouse about this issue not long ago(in response to Crutchfields website claiming it is)...

37W3 has been phased out. End of Life, etc.

the top peeps at Westinghouse were estatic that the 37w3 is being used as a PC display. They are unaware of this thread.

Oh my... OK, which is it? And if the top peeps are so happy with it, why are they nixing it? I hope this doesn't mean the smallest 1080p display is now going to be 42"... I'll have to get one of these before they sell out if that is the case. If they are selling so well they can't keep them in stock... doesn't that indicate people want something like this?

sure does, this monitor proved to be a big hit in the US. The ONLY place you can buy it:mad:

(from Australia)

sure does, this monitor proved to be a big hit in the US. The ONLY place you can buy it:mad:

(from Australia)

I live in Germany and I just got word that my monitor is FINALLY on the way. It only took 33 days from when I ordered until it got shipped. It's now being held in customs for who knows how long. This is been a pain in the ass but I hope it's worth it.

Oh my... OK, which is it? And if the top peeps are so happy with it, why are they nixing it? I hope this doesn't mean the smallest 1080p display is now going to be 42"... I'll have to get one of these before they sell out if that is the case. If they are selling so well they can't keep them in stock... doesn't that indicate people want something like this?
all i can do is post what ive been told by the ppl ive spoken to at Westinghouse...if someone else posts information contrary to that...i cant speak for that infomation

yea i have mine set at 20minutes for Power off mode in windows power options..

the blue light goes orange after 20 minutes .. as far as i understand it this is almost the same thing as turning the monitor off (it turns off backlight and everything)..
Ok just so where on the same page , i have mine setup up thorugh XP screen saver/power schemes/turn off monitor set for 25 mins . Which after that time the screen will say DVI1 No Signal , Westy logo still stays white and the screen will go all black but you can still see the backlight bleed if you want to call it that . I have my backlight set to 0 .

Now if you do all the above and go into the Westy on screen menu/&/DPMS/1-10min and set that it will turn the screen all the way off , but not power down the monitor .

Oh ye and ive never seen the Westy's logo go orange as you say . Let me know what how you have your setting set up in XP and in the Westy also .

thanks

Well, maybe I jumped the gun, but I ordered one for $1268, which includes 3-day fedex shipping from mwave. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the order or the westy when it comes in. Good incentive to clean off my desk now. :D My boyfriend is also excited, it means he gets a free upgrade to a 19" LCD. My mom has also offered to give him one of her TVs so now he actually wants to go visit, lol. Not before I get mine though.

I am about to do the same thing, tygirwulf! I have decided to wait though until the morning of the 14th, and see what happens with the egg, as they seem the most reliable of all, well according to my pea brain's quick summarization from reading so many threads here at [H].

Next choice seems like mwave. buydig is another possibility, but it seems buydig has more than a few posts here with people having problems with them

but str8 up, I have accepted i will pay more now, as the demand > supply. Throw in the confusion about discontinue, and what I sense a fact that the industry seems to be not supportive of a monitor like this at this size...there may not be another one like available again.

PLEASE keep us updated on your experience with Mwave, tygirwulf!

Thanks!

the 42" is only $200 more when ordering through mwave, hrmmmmm,,,,

Stick with the 37". Afiak its a better quality panel. Probably because its 5" more, but the same resolution. Depending on how close you are, you may start seeing pixels easier.

Stick with the 37". Afiak its a better quality panel. Probably because its 5" more, but the same resolution. Depending on how close you are, you may start seeing pixels easier.

In my case I'm leaning toward the 42". I will be doing a wall mount in my living room and putting the pc there. I also bought a small hospital table (about 30" wide) so I will be able to use the KB and mouse from several feet back.

With TV's in the stores, bigger always looks better at the same resolution =)

Plus onlookers wont have to get as close to see the full detail.

PS, If I choose standard ground shipment (as I normally do) versus 2nd day, are there higher chances of my tv being beaten up? It would save me about $80 and I am patient.

PS, If I choose standard ground shipment (as I normally do) versus 2nd day, are there higher chances of my tv being beaten up? It would save me about $80 and I am patient.

it shouldnt get beaten up anymore then it would being 2nd day. in fact i would imagine rushing it would make it more suspectible to damage.

anyone looking for one i found
http://www.xpcgear.com/lvm37w3.html
appears to be in stock and a good price.
$1,097.99 + 26 dollars to ship to my zip code.
i have no clue how good this company is the resellerratings seem decent.
Six-Month Rating: 8.57 / 10 Six-Month Reviews: 14 Lifetime Reviews: 152
personally im still trying to hold out on newegg.

anyone looking for one i found
http://www.xpcgear.com/lvm37w3.html
appears to be in stock and a good price.
$1,097.99 + 26 dollars to ship to my zip code.
i have no clue how good this company is the resellerratings seem decent.
Six-Month Rating: 8.57 / 10 Six-Month Reviews: 14 Lifetime Reviews: 152
personally im still trying to hold out on newegg.

I actually took a chance on them a while back on getting ahold of some p5b's when they were no where to be found, and I had zero problems with them. They had them cheaper than most places, and got em to me in 3 days.

I bought a Asus P5W for Christmas this year from XPCgear and my order arrived all nice and neat. Shipping was quicker than newegg as well.

In my case I'm leaning toward the 42". I will be doing a wall mount in my living room and putting the pc there. I also bought a small hospital table (about 30" wide) so I will be able to use the KB and mouse from several feet back.

With TV's in the stores, bigger always looks better at the same resolution =)

Plus onlookers wont have to get as close to see the full detail.
I am also going for the 42" model cause I just can't justify not spending an extra $150-200 if it means I can get the large monitor. When you are already spending $1200 $200 is not that big of a difference.

very tempting, yea.

Grrr. I wish Crutchfield wasn't apparently backed out on these. It's either neweg, mwave, or these peeps, I guess.

Such a large purchase, its not ideal for "testing" a new vender =/

I just got my 37" from Sam's Club. My concerns about it shipping via UPS vs a freight service were quelled when it arrived -- the box was in pretty good condition.

One of the first things I did after hooking it up was check for dead/stuck pixels, and I found five. Fortunately, I was able to fix them all with a little rubbing.

Now, I just need a new desk to properly accommodate this thing, as I sit much too close with my current setup. I'm leaning towards getting a jerker, but am concerned that it might still put me too close...

I am also going for the 42" model cause I just can't justify not spending an extra $150-200 if it means I can get the large monitor. When you are already spending $1200 $200 is not that big of a difference.

Well I am putting my order together right now on a few different sites -- the best deal (42w2) from a somewhat reputable website appears to be 1315 + 45 shipping to FL. Most other sites charge me 85-185 shipping.

Unfortunately they don't have a wall mount in stock. Not to mention I am not quite sure which one works best and is appropriate for my model. lastly, I'm not sure if they put a high markup on it. I'm going to search through some threads to see if it's already been discussed (timely with a zillion page thread).

Anyone able to shed some experience/insight with the wall mounts?

Well I am putting my order together right now on a few different sites -- the best deal 42w2 from a somewhat reputable website appears to be 1315 + 45 shipping to FL. Most other sites charge me 85-185 shipping.

Unfortunately they don't have a wall mount in stock. Not to mention I am not quite sure which one works best and is appropriate for my model. lastly, I'm not sure if they put a high markup on it. I'm going to search through some threads to see if it's already been discussed (timely with a zillion page thread).

Anyone able to shed some experience/insight with the wall mounts?

Torsten...

you are corect! I justr edited this becasue I was wrong.. I thought for some reason the 42 was not 1080p..which it clearly is!

pixal pitch is bigger, so you may have to sit a little farther back..but its clean!

Back