Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

jdwarne said:
- Am I losing anything by running the two devices to the reciever first, then to the TV?
- Do I get 1080p from the XBox 360 over component?
- Do I even need the DVD Player? I just want my standard DVD's to look as good as they can and this Sony does upconversion. Does the 360 HD-DVD do the same thing? Maybe It would be better to just get that instead.
- Do I need to connect audio from the DVD player and DirecTV box to the reciever, or will the HDMI connection take care of this?

Anything else I should know with this setup? Any recommendations from anyone? Thanks!!!!!
1) no, the reciever just relays the signal
2) no, xbox360 doesn't do 1080p unless you are using the vga cable with the hd-dvd drive and only watching movies
3) screw the dvd player. :p The upconversion drives do very little for your regular DVD's. A regular DVD only has so much detail, and its resolution is only 720x480. Its not going to look any better than the DVD source.
4) HDMI also carries audio. You should be all set. If you can't get audio for some odd reason, just run audio cables. Optical or coaxial audio is the best for pure DD5.1 or DTS.

Other thoughts: For not a whole lot more, you can get the 360 HD-DVD drive, and either have it running off your PC, or off your Xbox 360. I'd recommend it running off the PC, but you should have a HDCP certified video card such as a 7600gt in order to get the HD-DVD's working in full digital with a DVI connection to the monitor. I'm currently using the 360 HD-DVD hooked up to my PC, and it works perfect and looks amazing. Once you see movies in 1080p, you'll never want to go back. :p

No 1080p over component. But please poison, show us for enlightenment purposes.

w1retap said:

Mine shows 1080p on my monitor with the xbox360 as well. Is it true 1080p, i don't know. I tried the VGA cable and it shows the same thing. Did you get the live update?

I don't game on consoles. But, the question is... are there any 1080p native games for the 360. o_0

If you don't have a 1080p source, you can hardly call it 1080p. Upconversions don't count. Its the same with DVD upconversion players. The DVD is only 720x480 NTSC, so the upconversion to 1080i does nothing for it. It only fills in areas and applies various filters. The detail just isn't there as it is with true HD content.

Originally Posted by w1retap
2) no, xbox360 doesn't do 1080p unless you are using the vga cable with the hd-dvd drive and only watching movies
3) screw the dvd player. The upconversion drives do very little for your regular DVD's. A regular DVD only has so much detail, and its resolution is only 720x480. Its not going to look any better than the DVD source.

I don't game on consoles. But, the question is... are there any 1080p native games for the 360. o_0

If you don't have a 1080p source, you can hardly call it 1080p. Upconversions don't count. Its the same with DVD upconversion players. The DVD is only 720x480 NTSC, so the upconversion to 1080i does nothing for it. It only fills in areas and applies various filters. The detail just isn't there as it is with true HD content.

Rather argumentative, please don't propogate misinformation.

the 360 does in fact support 1080p over vga and component in games, two 1080p games off the top of my head are superman returns and sonic.
Upconversion for dvd's is supported on the vga adapter and does a really nice job, the point of upconversion is of course to take a lower res source and scale it to a larger resolution while maintaining quality. You may not find it worthwhile but it in fact does a very good job of keeping a standard dvd nice looking even at 1080p. The LVM-37w3 and LVM-42w2 both display 360->vga sources very well, although I recommend turning the brightness down a couple points to compensate for the default output levels of the 360.

Can anyone tell me how I can freeze the screen while playing games, like in this image?
PC040078.jpg

I looked through the manual but couldnt find anything on how to do it. :(

hamm3rhead said:

the 360 does in fact support 1080p over vga and component in games, two 1080p games off the top of my head are superman returns and sonic.
Upconversion for dvd's is supported on the vga adapter and does a really nice job, the point of upconversion is of course to take a lower res source and scale it to a larger resolution while maintaining quality. You may not find it worthwhile but it in fact does a very good job of keeping a standard dvd nice looking even at 1080p. The LVM-37w3 and LVM-42w2 both display 360->vga sources very well, although I recommend turning the brightness down a couple points to compensate for the default output levels of the 360.
I am well aware. I own a HD-DVD player, an upconversion regular DVD player, and the 1080p westy. I'm saying, your image is only as good as your source. Upconversions do not count as being 1080p quality.

As of just a few weeks ago, here is how the 360 is shown by microsoft..

VGA:

* HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
* DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
* Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

* HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
* DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
* Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Lets see when I have the 360 set to 1080p and its using component and I hit info on the remote according to the Westy its receiving a 1080p signal. Doesn't matter that the content is being upscaled at the 360...it just matters that as far as the westy thinks that signal is straight 1080p.

And as shown by your qoute the only reason HD-DVD is not shown at 1080p over the components is because of the AACS.

I wish I jumped on this monitor when it was selling for around $950. Now it's up to $1150. Any clue when there will be a price drop again?

3 stores in Michigan, but they're all up in the boonies. Not about to drive 500 miles for this.

Eric1285 said:
3 stores in Michigan, but they're all up in the boonies. Not about to drive 500 miles for this.
hah. I didn't even know there were ShopKo's in the upper peninsula. Even if you went to the store, there is nothing guaranteeing its in stock. You'd have to call first. But, I'm south of the Detroit area and if I drove up there, it takes about 6-8 hours to the nearest store. I go up there every summer for vacation. I'll have to stop in next time to see if I can pick up another Westy. :p

gearhead364 said:
If any one has a Shop-Ko in their vicinity you might want to check this thread. It looks like Shop-Ko has them on clearance for around $800.
Man thank you so much .

Called the first Shop-Ko no luck , called the second one here in town and guess what they had one left brand new in the box for $799 .

I walked out with it for $861 with tax :D

Just have to wait for my DVI cable from monoprice.com to come in now to see how this beast is going to look . ROCK ON !

Anyway thanks again !!!!
48ndorb.jpg

How often do you guys turn off this monitor? Or, how often do you put it to sleep?

The bulb on my samsung 56" DLP died and when the repair guy came out to fix it, he said to turn it off as little as possible and to use the sleep ability because the more you turn it on and off, the more you stress the bulb and stuff.

So, with that TV and this one, I've only been turning it off at night before bed. During the day, I have it on 30 minute sleep mode.

Cool Hand Luke said:
Man thank you so much .

Called the first Shop-Ko no luck , called the second one here in town and guess what they had one left brand new in the box for $799 .

I walked out with it for $861 with tax :D

Anyway thanks again !!!!
48ndorb.jpg

I was hoping that some one would benefit from it, just wish that there was a shop-ko in my area.

Korialstrasza said:
How often do you guys turn off this monitor? Or, how often do you put it to sleep?

The bulb on my samsung 56" DLP died and when the repair guy came out to fix it, he said to turn it off as little as possible and to use the sleep ability because the more you turn it on and off, the more you stress the bulb and stuff.

So, with that TV and this one, I've only been turning it off at night before bed. During the day, I have it on 30 minute sleep mode.

Considering that this tv is not a projection and uses a backlight, I would say that it does not apply. With regards to your DLP, I have no idea.

Korialstrasza said:

i have 3 pc's..and i NEVER shut them off(cept for prolonged vacations)..i put them into hibernate after 1 hr of no use instead of a screen saver...makes your display last longer..and saves on power(for whatever thats worth) :D

How far do you guys sit from the westy?, im like two feet away from my ben 24 and yet it still seems too close.

D!Z said:
How far do you guys sit from the westy?, im like two feet away from my ben 24 and yet it still seems too close.
approx 2-3 ft from my comp chair...but i have a leather recliner behind me that ill sit in..and go mental in bf2

Does anyone have problems with theirs starting up? I use mine about once a day for a few hours after work. I leave it off while asleep and at work, and come home and turn it on. I have to wait about 2-5 minutes for it to 'warm up' or something. During this time it cuts on and off (westy LED stays on, screen picture goes blank) in full color/brightness, then cuts on and works fine. I am concerned since I got a display model that it might get worse, at a bad time (during a movie, before a LAN party, etc).

PhillyB said:
Does anyone have problems with theirs starting up? I use mine about once a day for a few hours after work. I leave it off while asleep and at work, and come home and turn it on. I have to wait about 2-5 minutes for it to 'warm up' or something. During this time it cuts on and off (westy LED stays on, screen picture goes blank) in full color/brightness, then cuts on and works fine. I am concerned since I got a display model that it might get worse, at a bad time (during a movie, before a LAN party, etc).

I dont have that problem :(

Doesn't sound good that's for sure. Does it do it when it's hooked up to another source like a dvd player or cable box?

PhillyB said:

Sounds like a defective display, mine doesn't do that.

hamm3rhead said:

The 360 DOES do 1080p over component and VGA. 480 and 720 games are upconverted to 1080p. There is an issue with the component though. On my Westy when doing 1080p through component, my colors are messed up. There is also a line of discoloration on the bottom of the screen also. The monitor does 1080p over VGA, DVI, and HDMI just fine.

PhillyB said:

Nope - that is not normal at all. I would call westinghouse and set up an RMA or return it to the place you bought it. The only bad thing about RMAing to westinghouse is you have to pay shipping to them.

Hopefully they sort it out quick - it would be a shame to be away from your monitor for any length of time.

gearhead364 said:
I was hoping that some one would benefit from it, just wish that there was a shop-ko in my area.
[snip]

no shit! I wish there was one near me also. lol. I'd buy it today.. I think my best option now is the egg for $1099 + tax and delivery. I should have bought one on black friday but I was still not convinced it was going to be a good fit for my setup.. anyways.. penalty for hesitation. lol

Opeth said:
The 360 DOES do 1080p over component and VGA. 480 and 720 games are upconverted to 1080p. There is an issue with the component though. On my Westy when doing 1080p through component, my colors are messed up. There is also a line of discoloration on the bottom of the screen also. The monitor does 1080p over VGA, DVI, and HDMI just fine.

True the 360 does do 1080p over component but the Westy does not accept a 1080p signal over component. For that reason, that is why your picture is funky when trying to get 1080p over component. If want to get 1080p out of your 360 buy the VGA adapter.

revenant said:
no shit! I wish there was one near me also. lol. I'd buy it today.. I think my best option now is the egg for $1099 + tax and delivery. I should have bought one on black friday but I was still not convinced it was going to be a good fit for my setup.. anyways.. penalty for hesitation. lol

I don't know if it applies to your area, but Sam's Club has it as well for slightly less, and you have the option of returning it to a store instead of shipping to Westinghouse if theres a problem.

does anyone know whether the Westinghouse LVM-37w3 is available to purchase within the UK or know anywhere which would ship to the UK for a reasonable price, as I understand this is only available in the US.

Also if i did manage to get my hands on one, would there be any problems with the PAL/NTSC differences, the monitor would be used for PC use and XBOX360, but may also be hooked upto a PS2/Gamecube/TV reception at some point.

Any info is much appreciated.

I knew I shouldnt have spoke up. If I have it on another source it doesnt do it. Also if the source is dead, I get that no input from (insert random input name here) and the TV stays on just fine displaying that image. Is it possible that it is just that one input, DVi-2, or maybe my PC? (it is on all the time, the PC I mean)

How do you have your PC connected? Hook it up a different way, it could be your video card maybe?

Or hook something else up to the current way your PC is connected and see if you can eliminate that port being the problem.

w1retap said:
1) no, the reciever just relays the signal
3) screw the dvd player. :p The upconversion drives do very little for your regular DVD's. A regular DVD only has so much detail, and its resolution is only 720x480. Its not going to look any better than the DVD source.
4) HDMI also carries audio. You should be all set. If you can't get audio for some odd reason, just run audio cables. Optical or coaxial audio is the best for pure DD5.1 or DTS.

Other thoughts: For not a whole lot more, you can get the 360 HD-DVD drive, and either have it running off your PC, or off your Xbox 360. I'd recommend it running off the PC, but you should have a HDCP certified video card such as a 7600gt in order to get the HD-DVD's working in full digital with a DVI connection to the monitor. I'm currently using the 360 HD-DVD hooked up to my PC, and it works perfect and looks amazing. Once you see movies in 1080p, you'll never want to go back. :p

What if I have a 360 HD-DVD drive plugged into my PC which is also plugged into my West 37" via DVI-D cable? I have 8800GTX SLI video cards. Will I get 1080p then when watching HD-DVD movies?

Teecee said:
What if I have a 360 HD-DVD drive plugged into my PC which is also plugged into my West 37" via DVI-D cable? I have 8800GTX SLI video cards. Will I get 1080p then when watching HD-DVD movies?
i could be wrong...but it seems to me you would be better off hooking your 360 through the tv...not sure why you chose the patch you did...theres 4 trillion connections on the westy :D
(speaking of which..im off to buy my 360 right now)

Teecee said:

Yes - you will get 1080p playback.

As long as you use a player like PowerDVD HD or something equivilent.

Back