Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Korialstrasza said:
What the hell.......

I just called AIT and they said my shipment was in San Francisco (I'm 50 miles east) and that I can call tomorrow morning and schedule a Friday dropoff. I didn't even know what to say. That's stupid.

No more AIT for me.

Maybe I'll call back and ask if tomorrow would be possible. Is this a small shipping company or something? Lacks the manpower seen with Fedex, DHL, and ups?

I feel your pain....Basically the same thing happened to me. The unit arrived at their "local" warehouse (or whatever) I called them and they said they could deliver it 3 days later. But I don't know if I would trust any of the other mentioned above for this big of a delivery.....Hopefully you get it in time for the long weekend. In the end its worth the wait.

BrinNutz said:
You can haggle at Best Buy..Isn't that retail?

Well i guess anything is possible then. But good luck getting the minimum wage dude to cut the price out on the floor for you...

Price matching i've heard of, but simply having them cut a price in a store like that because they wanted to hook it up?

tygirwulf said:
My boyfriend and I have separate finances. I just like to let him know when I plan on sinking a large sum of cash into something, and he appreciates me asking his opinion. I thought he'd tell me it'd be stupid to get a 37" screen for private use, and the last thing I want is for him to be jealous of me.

We went to Best Buy yesterday (must make a note not to do that again the day after Christmas) and he went straight for the TVs to look around. Perfect opportunity to talk about the Westy. When I told him that some people use it as their PC monitor, he said "shoot, I would too." After we talked, he asked me to keep my eye out for a smaller TV/monitor for him. I think the 22w2 would be good for him, but I will have to investigate.

Seems there aren't too many places selling this right now. I'd have to pay sales tax from Newegg and buy.com's resellerratings score scares me. Looks like I'll be waiting for a little while for more places to get it back in stock. Gives me time to plan the setup.

I read through this entire thread, and someone posted some pictures of the different ways you can display two inputs at the same time. Could someone repost them, or post a link back to that post?
your vid card has dual dvi output...just plug one display into one..the other in the other...then goto your display properties and tell it which one to use as primary...u can drag the pics to either side

Sucka said:
Well i guess anything is possible then. But good luck getting the minimum wage dude to cut the price out on the floor for you...

Price matching i've heard of, but simply having them cut a price in a store like that because they wanted to hook it up?

Skip the sales associates, work straight with the Sales Manager.

Ugggggggh my first real problem with this thing. I am fairly annoyed by this.

When I open photochop and open a picture of some roses and apply a filter thats for pencil or something I get blue pixels and they are just out of place. Close the photoshop, no blue pixels. Sometimes when I first start up the monitor it randomly flashes a few of these up, but it goes away after a minute or two.

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

Well crap, i think i fixed it, 60hz not 59hz. friggin idiot. i love my monitor

[Retaliation] said:
your vid card has dual dvi output...just plug one display into one..the other in the other...then goto your display properties and tell it which one to use as primary...u can drag the pics to either side
Thanks, but I meant the ways you can get this particular display to show two inputs, like this. I'm a bit behind the times in certain areas of TV and display tech, I wasn't previously aware that you could split the screen like in PBP mode. I like that this monitor is big enough for that to actually be useful. Can't wait to get it. :D

oh..once you get the W3 you just have to go into the screen menu options..and select what your primary and secondary sources are...for instance...my computer is on DVI 1 and my digital cable box is on DVI 2 so i have 1st source dvi1 and second dvi2(thats for pip) i hope that helps

SPEEDMAN said:
got my tax papers from DHL

it cost me 231 € extra. zo

1080 + 231 = 1311 € for an awesome screen unable to get in Europe. Nor for the price, nor for the options.

thumbs up WESTY ! :D

Hello, where did you buy it? I´m looking any dealer that distributes/delivers Westy´s within Europe.

Many thanks
Regards and enjoy Xmas!

Let me know if any one in the Houston area is looking for this monitor. I have an extra 1 that I've ordered from Buy.com few days ago.

does anyone know the wattage this screen needs? the reason i ask is that i will need a voltage transformer in order to use this LCD in Australia.

Hey, I finally fixed the image being shifted on DVI2. In ATI Catalyst, under Digital Panel Properties -> Attributes -> DVI Settings, unselect "Reduce DVI Frequency on high-resolution displays".

Nettwerk said:
Just got mine setup, no dead pixels :)

SCREEN IS HUUUGEEEE

LOL

Which game is that ? Look's really cool, like a Joint Op's 2 or something cooler than BetaField2 ?

Teecee said:
I think the screen is TOO big. I have it on my desk and MAN, its freakin huge.

How far is your face from the screen? Is your face level with the middle of it?

To those who have this monitor, how long do you think it will last you before you'll want to buy something else?

I figure if the monitor is too big for me, it will still do well as a gaming TV, especially since I'm still playing my consoles on a 22" Panasonic standard def tv.

I am going to buy one of these when I get my year end expense report check.. which totals a grand.. that + xmas funds should cover everything to my door.. color me excited! :)

i curse bestbuy from delaying my tv. was supposed to get it on the 22nd but they delayed it till the 9th. BOOOOOO I WANT IT ALREADY and all you people posting pictures isnt making me feel much better :p

claudione314 said:
Yes, it does.
I don't have one but from what I read this screen isn't able to do 1:1. It does ratio scalling, but not 1:1 pixel mapping. ie a a resolution under 1920 x 1080 is shown with black around it and is shown exactly 1 to 1 pixel of the signal. But it can take a 4:3 aspect ratio signal and still show it as a box instead of stretching its width.

This of course isn't a problem for most people like it is on the 24 inch monitors because most hi def material is 16:9, which this tv/monitor is and not 16:10 like most widescreen computer monitors are. It does mean though that it will scale a 720p signal over the 1080 res of the tv and make it look not as crisp.

BPini said:
I don't have one but from what I read this screen isn't able to do 1:1. It does ratio scalling, but not 1:1 pixel mapping. ie a a resolution under 1920 x 1080 is shown with black around it and is shown exactly 1 to 1 pixel of the signal. But it can take a 4:3 aspect ratio signal and still show it as a box instead of stretching its width.

This of course isn't a problem for most people like it is on the 24 inch monitors because most hi def material is 16:9, which this tv/monitor is and not 16:10 like most widescreen computer monitors are. It does mean though that it will scale a 720p signal over the 1080 res of the tv and make it look not as crisp.

what about xbox 360? wont it upscale the dvd content to 1080p and make it look good enough?

I was just in the process of cleaning both of my monitors..when it came to me..."I wonder if people know the correct way to clean their lcd screens"...well here goes,
under no circumstances should you EVER clean your screen with paper towels and "windex" type cleaners...the paper towels(no matter how soft you think they are) will leave scratches on the screen...and over time...those scrathes build up and then its to late...2nd,some people may not be aware of the fact that your lcd screen isnt made of glass...its a plastic film...and windex turns the plastic grey over time...you need to buy a special cleaner and cloth specifically made for cleaning lcd's.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...r&kw=monster+screen+cleaner&parentPage=search
its 20$ but well worth the price...it can be found at most major retailers....hope this helps at least one person out :D

dsr1205 said:
enlarged would be streched thou right?

Well, no, in that the proportions would be correct. Circles will look like circles and not ovals and people won't be fat or skinny. But the tv will scale it, meaning kind of fake the extra pixels, to make it cover the native resolution of the screen and not be a tiny picture surrounded by alot of black

for PC use, you guys are using DVI right? I have HDMI and VGA cables but I dont know which to use. DVI seems to be working great.

Korialstrasza said:
for PC use, you guys are using DVI right? I have HDMI and VGA cables but I dont know which to use. DVI seems to be working great.

I have it hooked up to DVI through an X800XL. It looks great. I wanna upgrade my video card to something better. Probably a X1900 series for the superb IQ.

I just purchased the 42" Westy, along with a new receiver, speakers and a DVD player to bring my home theater setup up to date. I was wondering if anyone could please review my setup below, and tell me if I'm doing anything retarded. I read a lot on this stuff but I'm still pretty clueless!!

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR674 Link

Speakers: Infinity Primus Theater Link

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS75H Link

I also have a Velodyne 10" powered sub, DirecTV H10 set top box, an Xbox 360 and a PC w/ a 6600GT.

I'm going to run the DVD player and the DirecTV box to the reciever using HDMI. The receiver has 2 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI out. I'd run the XBox 360 to the reciever via component. The PC would connect directly to the Westy via DVI. The goal here is that everything except the PC would connect to the receiver, then I'd have 1 HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV. This will primarily be my home theater setup for TV, movies and Xbox, with the PC for occasional surfing, Jukebox and World of Warcraft. I'll be sitting about 7 feet away.

Questions:

- Am I losing anything by running the two devices to the reciever first, then to the TV?
- Do I get 1080p from the XBox 360 over component?
- Do I even need the DVD Player? I just want my standard DVD's to look as good as they can and this Sony does upconversion. Does the 360 HD-DVD do the same thing? Maybe It would be better to just get that instead.
- Do I need to connect audio from the DVD player and DirecTV box to the reciever, or will the HDMI connection take care of this?

Anything else I should know with this setup? Any recommendations from anyone? Thanks!!!!!

Back