Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Buy.com just sent me an email telling me that they have the LVM-37W3 for $999.95 with $100 rebate, and $20 off for Google checkout. Price for me shipped would be $924.08... rebate is good till the 31st.

Now to convince the wife that I need to replace my 20" Apple Cinema Display... :)

duce3 said:
Well now he has my old (bachelors) 20" in his room and that thing sucks. My wife wants the $400 720p all white samsung but I think if I can get my hands on this Gateway for around $300 new or $250 used I will be happy. Only thing now is I would feel bad having him stuck on that xbox1 but he hasn't complained.
i have dustbox er xbox 1, it has so much dust on it from no use..but i will be getting the 360 a week from this wednesday..cant wait to see it on this tv

mj007 said:
Buy.com just sent me an email telling me that they have the LVM-37W3 for $999.95 with $100 rebate, and $20 off for Google checkout. Price for me shipped would be $924.08... rebate is good till the 31st.
Wow that's a great deal. Too bad they don't do refund/returns. Any experiences with RMA directly to Westinghouse? I'm assuming you'd have to pay for shipping.

claudione314 said:
Wow that's a great deal. Too bad they don't do refund/returns. Any experiences with RMA directly to Westinghouse? I'm assuming you'd have to pay for shipping.

I would be interested in that too.

Hello,

Dam the deals keep getting better on this LCD. Makes you wanna get more of them! :)

I am posting back here because I finally had the opportunity to try out the HDMI port and it works brilliantly with my HDTV Cable Box -- beautiful HD picture! Also, I never heard the speakers until now and they sound GREAT over HDMI! I have the volume down at like between 10- 20 and they're very powerful which surprises me because Westinghouse hid the speakers so well on this display!

So now I can have my computer running on DVI-1 with external speakers and my Cable box on HDMI with the internal speakers and the PIP works brilliantly! Yes, it would be nice if you could save your settings for the PIP options, but the display remembers your LCD Backlight settings on different inputs so when I switch to my computer, I have it set to "2" and on my cable set to "3" or "4" since I like it brighter when I'm watching TV from further away.

In any case, I've now had this Display for about 2 months and all I can say is that this is TOP NOTCH and one of the best displays I have ever purchased and used. Well worth the 1200 I paid for it and now that you can get it for around 900 - 1000, that's a steal in my opinion. I will most likely purchase the 47" model for my living room sometime next year. These are relatively light monitors and wall mount beautifully.

Standing ovation to all the Westinghouse Engineers and Quality Control People. Outstanding product at a great price. Thanks Westinghouse! Keep up the good work!

I love my Westy 37"... 1080p rocks on this, saved my eyes from strain, tons of inputs, and runs MUCH cooler and more efficiently than my old 24" crt! Not to mention, I got my DESK SPACE back! What more could we ask for? Oh, maybe that Sony fix their PS3 :) and blu-ray players become affordable???

-WaitAndSee

Hey,

I thought I would share this snippet from my xorg.conf file (located in /etc/X11) in case any of you are running Linux (I'm running Ubuntu Edgy 6.10) and want to get full use out of your Westinghouse 37" monitor and are having trouble figuring out how.

These options will give you 1920x1080x24@60hz on your westy. i.e. 1080p res for linux

Edit your xorg.conf file located in /etc/X11 appropriately with the options as show below...
You don't need any modelines. Just the use the options in the monitor section as shown below. I am not showing the entire xorg.conf file. Only the sections that matter...

I happen to be using a BFG GeForce 6800GT card so modify yours accordingly once you've added the Nvidia or Ati drivers to your kernel and have recompiled...

Hope this helps. It was a little difficult searching the net for this info, so I thought I would post it here in case it helps anyone.

Linux rocks by the way esp. Ubuntu! Although I'm excited about the release of Microsoft Vista (after all the bugs are worked out)..., Linux is great and has a lot of hardware and software support these days, unlike the old days...

/etc/xorg.conf (snippet)

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p"
HorizSync 30-80
VertRefresh 60
Option "DPMS"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
#Modelines are unnecessary and not used based on above options...
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Nvidia NV40 BFG GeForce 6800GT"
Monitor "Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x1024" "1280x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone!

-WaitAndSee

how many people have the 42 inch version of the westy?? I tried to find a 37 but ended up just spending a couple hundred more to get the 42...hope I'm happy with it, have the wall mount ready!!! ;)

crnoob said:
how many people have the 42 inch version of the westy?? I tried to find a 37 but ended up just spending a couple hundred more to get the 42...hope I'm happy with it, have the wall mount ready!!! ;)

I have both but I use them as TVs, not as PC monitors. I am about to bite the bullet and buy another for a PC monitor and sell one of my Dell 2405s. Both are very nice monitors with plenty of inputs. The 42" is much larger than the 37". Side by side it seems like the 42" swallows the 37".

Teecee said:
I have both but I use them as TVs, not as PC monitors. I am about to bite the bullet and buy another for a PC monitor and sell one of my Dell 2405s. Both are very nice monitors with plenty of inputs. The 42" is much larger than the 37". Side by side it seems like the 42" swallows the 37".

Yeah, thats actually kind of frightening, I'm currently using a 19ich sceptre lcd, great for everything, but I'm starting to feel like its a wee bit small. I'll mostly be using the westy as a monitor however I do like to watch movies and hope to make use of the pip for TV occasionally.

I figured the 37 would be a perfect size, 42 just seems, I dunno, HUGE...hehe, ah well, I'm more worried about the quality at this point than pure size, I can figure out ways to sit further back if I must!

Well, just ordered my second 37" from newegg. This one I will use as a monitor. I plan to make the delivery man wait until I plug it into my PC but when I bought the 42" from newegg there was no issues.

Teecee said:
Well, just ordered my second 37" from newegg. This one I will use as a monitor. I plan to make the delivery man wait until I plug it into my PC but when I bought the 42" from newegg there was no issues.

tip him :cool:

unfortunatley for me, I'm shipping mine via freight forwarder to costa rica...will probably have to deal with further taxes :/

I've had mine packaged more securely than the default shipping box however and have insurance, hoping for the best!

Grats on your 3rd!!! lol

Teecee said:

He'll do that?

Newegg would allow that?

I want this monitor soo much. I just need to figure out how to talk to my boyfriend about it. He is fine with tech, but his attitude is that what he's got is fine, and since what I've got is better, he doesn't understand why I'd want anything different. I could probably talk about it as our console gaming TV, as this monitor would be a great introduction to life beyond 480i, but I'd really want to use it as my personal screen. Mine, not ours. Selfish of me, huh? Either way, I know one of these displays is in my future, thanks to you lot with your fancy talk and jizztastic pictures. :p

tygirwulf said:
I want this monitor soo much. I just need to figure out how to talk to my boyfriend about it. He is fine with tech, but his attitude is that what he's got is fine, and since what I've got is better, he doesn't understand why I'd want anything different. I could probably talk about it as our console gaming TV, as this monitor would be a great introduction to life beyond 480i, but I'd really want to use it as my personal screen. Mine, not ours. Selfish of me, huh? Either way, I know one of these displays is in my future, thanks to you lot with your fancy talk and jizztastic pictures. :p
Don't talk to him about it. Just secretly buy it and set it up one day while he's gone. He'll be super jealous when he comes home and you are gaming on a 37'' 1080p monitor. ^_^

w1retap said:
Don't talk to him about it. Just secretly buy it and set it up one day while he's gone. He'll be super jealous when he comes home and you are gaming on a 37'' 1080p monitor. ^_^
Exactly. Then, of course, if your finances are shared you'll be in trouble (as I will with my girlfriend), but I get the feeling the Westy is worth getting in trouble. :D

claudione314 said:
Exactly. Then, of course, if your finances are shared you'll be in trouble (as I will with my girlfriend), but I get the feeling the Westy is worth getting in trouble. :D
i guess im a lucky man..my gf doesnt give a crap what i spend my money on(granted she doesnt get why i buy the things i do) but then again...shes on a $400 Compaq...as long as i have my 1/2 of the bills...i can buy whatever i want...shes gonna look at me wierd when i buy a BFG gts and a 360 xbox next week im sure of it :eek:

deleted, found the answer

I wish AIT provided the location of each status alert as well, like UPS and Fedex does :-(

Well I guess I am out of the running for about 3 more months just got in a car accident on the way home and now I have to pay my deductible that is half gone off of the top. Well I guess there will be some brighter 1080p in the future!

duce3 said:
Well I guess I am out of the running for about 3 more months just got in a car accident on the way home and now I have to pay my deductible that is half gone off of the top. Well I guess there will be some brighter 1080p in the future!
The main thing is i'm glad you are okay.

BrinNutz said:
Why can't I find the W3 online anywhere?

And what's the cheapest?

I just got mine from Sam's Club for $1047 + Tax. Might not be the cheapest available, but being able to return it easily if needed makes up for it imo. They even let me take it out and hook it up/inspect it to make sure there wasn't any problems or dead pixels.

And of the 21 stores in So-Cal, only one had it, so i did have to drive about ~50 miles, so keep that in mind. When you enter the store, it will say "Available online only" but just keeping checking the ones around you, and you might find one with it in stock.

Anyone have any advice for getting this overseas? I tried a lot of e-tailers but the box is like .8 inches past their regulation size limit. Looking for any options you know of. Thanks.

I got one of these recently and I'm very impressed with it. Seeing as this was my first LCD, I gotta say I was underwhelmed with the black levels, but I can live with it. One dead pixel and one pixel that is red (stuck? dead?) but they dont really bother me. Colorful games look absolutely incredible on this thing, DOA4, Viva Pinata, etc. Gears looks nice but the blacks are pretty meh. But overall for ~$900-1100 dollars this is an amazing deal.

Oh, and Metal Slug Anthology for Wii on this thing is hideous. Thought I'd throw that out there . :)

My boyfriend and I have separate finances. I just like to let him know when I plan on sinking a large sum of cash into something, and he appreciates me asking his opinion. I thought he'd tell me it'd be stupid to get a 37" screen for private use, and the last thing I want is for him to be jealous of me.

We went to Best Buy yesterday (must make a note not to do that again the day after Christmas) and he went straight for the TVs to look around. Perfect opportunity to talk about the Westy. When I told him that some people use it as their PC monitor, he said "shoot, I would too." After we talked, he asked me to keep my eye out for a smaller TV/monitor for him. I think the 22w2 would be good for him, but I will have to investigate.

Seems there aren't too many places selling this right now. I'd have to pay sales tax from Newegg and buy.com's resellerratings score scares me. Looks like I'll be waiting for a little while for more places to get it back in stock. Gives me time to plan the setup.

I read through this entire thread, and someone posted some pictures of the different ways you can display two inputs at the same time. Could someone repost them, or post a link back to that post?

AIT has had it on "On Hand Destination: freight has arrived destination terminal. " for like 5 years now. When do they actually bring it to my door? Do they really call to make an appointment?

I am still wondering about why my PC on DVI2 is shifted to left about 20 lines or so. There is no option for me to adjust the screen position in Catalyst. Is the monitor defective or is it my graphics card? It's fine on DVI1

Korialstrasza said:
AIT has had it on "On Hand Destination: freight has arrived destination terminal. " for like 5 years now. When do they actually bring it to my door? Do they really call to make an appointment?

Fuck yea call AIT and get the number to the local warehouse it is stationed at. Mine would have sat there till I got ahold of someone nice and he went and retrived it and finally got it on a damn truck for todays delivery.

What the hell.......

I just called AIT and they said my shipment was in San Francisco (I'm 50 miles east) and that I can call tomorrow morning and schedule a Friday dropoff. I didn't even know what to say. That's stupid.

No more AIT for me.

Maybe I'll call back and ask if tomorrow would be possible. Is this a small shipping company or something? Lacks the manpower seen with Fedex, DHL, and ups?

Rubbernecker said:
I got one of these recently and I'm very impressed with it. Seeing as this was my first LCD, I gotta say I was underwhelmed with the black levels, but I can live with it. One dead pixel and one pixel that is red (stuck? dead?) but they dont really bother me. Colorful games look absolutely incredible on this thing, DOA4, Viva Pinata, etc. Gears looks nice but the blacks are pretty meh. But overall for ~$900-1100 dollars this is an amazing deal.

Oh, and Metal Slug Anthology for Wii on this thing is hideous. Thought I'd throw that out there . :)
I have a similar feeling about the blacks in Gears of War. This can be improved a little by lowering the brightness in the Gears of War menu or by switching out of the VGA input and back into it so that the Westinghouse can readjust. Also, I bet it would be improved if MS would release a dang digital cable already.

Korialstrasza said:
What the hell.......

I just called AIT and they said my shipment was in San Francisco (I'm 50 miles east) and that I can call tomorrow morning and schedule a Friday dropoff. I didn't even know what to say. That's stupid.

No more AIT for me.

Maybe I'll call back and ask if tomorrow would be possible. Is this a small shipping company or something? Lacks the manpower seen with Fedex, DHL, and ups?

Get the number to the warehouse and see if they will help

Do you guys think there is a minimum spec needed to run this monitor adequately for FPS games?

I have a P4-2.4C clocked to 2.7ghz, 1G RAM, Nvidia 6800GT. I run a Dell 20.1 inch right now in Call of Duty2 @ 1024x768 with a few details off and it's fine. I would turn the Westinghouse down from its native res for games as well. Do you think it would still look and perform OK for FPS given my hardware? I'm wondering if this thing would look like kaka if I don't run in native res for gaming and if I will get ghosting. The posts I've seen so far are from people running Nvidia 78xx or 88xx GPUs, so that doesn't give me any clue. I'll be upgrading to an Intel C2D in early 2007 after more quad-cores come out and it drives the prices down a bit.

I'm also considering the Dell 2407, but the Westinghouse is only a few hundred $ more for 50% more screen real estate.

The answer is probably in these 1,400+ posts somewhere, but I've read probably three hundred posts already and haven't seen it... any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Back