Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Do you think Sams Club is an okay place to buy this LCD in person? Cuz they have it for $1050. BB has it for more and only at some locations.

absolutely..sams club was my 1st choice..them and Best Buy are the only retailers Westinghouse deals with...but Sams was out

I been looking locally for this monitor but it is no where to be found. Are you sure Sam's carry this model?

onetouch40 said:
I been looking locally for this monitor but it is no where to be found. Are you sure Sam's carry this model?
order it from Sam's online. They don't have it in store.

*edit* Looks like Both ShopKo and Nebraska Furniture Mart can't seem to get any stock on them either right now.

What are you people using to calibrate the monitor? I've looked at previous settings and i wonder how can anyone use a backlight setting of 0. It's way too dark. I think the default settings with the backlight setting at about 40 is okay, though i know not perfect.

My windows desktop is also too dark. It's pretty noticable in games.

Rhyno said:
Actually there are more "local stores" that carry it, you may just not have them in your area.

ShopKo carrys it, as well as Nebraska Furniture Mart.
yeh..never heard of them...and i only stated that because thats what Westinghouse told me when i called about the LVM W3..but thats great you have more options :)

Someone asked about photoshop?

My camera can tell no lies. Sorry about the sideways pics, Its 2 am. I am about 3-4 feet, a little farther than my normal viewing distance. No tripod, and you can see the pixel lines (rainbow effect). This is the 42 with 1080p, over DVi 2. This is my photoshop machine!!!

The pictures on the screen are 10mp. The ones I took are also 10mp, but in order to get them at a viewable size and get them onto photobucket i run photoshop elements 4 in batch mode to kill them to 800 and low res JPG. Horrible loss of quality. I can email you the pics in full size, PM me. Its a canon xti, Tv mode, 18-55 lens, iso 1600, 1/50, manual focus, auto white balance, all other settings are zeroed. No alterations, just resized for convenient downloading.

This is a pic of a flower I took at a party my mom had, its an ok pic. Here is the pic in windows file viewer. I am not calibrated, or a professional at any of this, I have only had the camera for a month or so. It barely comes close to RL.

windowspictureviewernozoom.jpg

Here is the same pic, in photoshop, no photoshop or camera zoom.

fullsizephotoshop.jpg

Same setup, camera zoomed in.

fullsizecamerazoomonly.jpg

Photoshop zoomed in, no camera zoom.

photoshopzoomednocamerazoom.jpg

Same setup, camera zoom only.

zoomedinwithcameraandphotoshop.jpg

photoshop zoomed in at around 220 percent of original, to show detail. no camera zoom

photoshopzoomedwaayinnocamerazoom.jpg

Same pic, 220 percent, camera zoomed in.

photoshopzoomedwaaaayincamerazoom.jpg

The original file (no monitor involved, just the straight picture).

IMG_0715.jpg

Thats real strange, I am previewing to see if all the pics work, and I can see where my colors are off from that picture. WOW.

ok so where should i look to purchase this, i guess etronics sold completely out this past week.

I just ordered one from Sam's Club for pick-up at local store. If you keep choosing the different stores, it'll tell you which ones are in stock locally. If it's not in stock at that store, it'll just say "online only" but if it is available at that store, it'll give you a pick-up option. With tax, it was about 1130, which is really not bad considereing I have a local store to return it to. I think it's worth it.

Hows sams club return policy?

I'll probably go down to Oregon to pick it up tax free.

JohnleMVP said:
Hows sams club return policy?

I'll probably go down to Oregon to pick it up tax free.

I bought mine through Sam's Online Store and had it shipped to my office.
Sams offers ground shipping only on this item but it only took 5 business days including the day I ordered it to arrive

Their return policy is very fair. If you are not happy they will take it back for a full refund and no restocking fee. Can't beat that.

Sam's online price was almost $200.00 less then the local BB.

In closing the idea of a 37" PC monitor gives new meaning to the word gratuitous but now that I am sitting in front of one so color me gratuitous.

I have only had it one day so I can not give a review yet. More soon!

Best

JMD

Has anyone managed to get this running as a faux dual monitor? Meaning, using the second output on your video card to send another dvi or vga signal to the westy, and enabling PIP to have faux dual-screens?

I tried doing it with dvi2 and vga... my pc recognizes that it sees the display on vga and plays the detected hardware sound (dvi2 is primary, vga is secondary) but it won't allow me to enable the secondary. I tried swapping the primary and secondary sources via the remote to try to force it to re-recognize it, but with no luck.

This isn't a big deal, just fooling around mostly. But I'd just like to know if has worked for anyone :)

I got mine from etronics a few weeks ago. Picked it up for $930 shipped. Couldn't be happier. :)

I picked mine up from Sam's yesterday. No dead pixels or backlighting problems. With tax, it was $1129. I'd much rather pay the $200 and have a store to return it to. It comes included with a 1 year warranty from Sam's, so anything within a year and I can bring it back. 3 years = $198. It came with firmware 1.6, but everyone's saying they're all mixed up... and up til now, I can't find anything about 1.6 being any different from 1.0. Does anyone know of any differences or changes?

Well it took me 3 days to get through this forum and you have gotten me really excited about it. Can't wait to get it. Will try next month but will probably have to wait to the beginning of February. Can't wait! Was really having trouble deciding between the Gateway 24" , Dell 24", and Benq 24". All had something I didn't like about them. Totally have annoyed my wife with a budget that started at about $400 and ended up at about $1300 after shipping and handling, sucks to have such expensiveness hobbies. :D

00dwan said:
I picked mine up from Sam's yesterday. No dead pixels or backlighting problems. With tax, it was $1129. I'd much rather pay the $200 and have a store to return it to. It comes included with a 1 year warranty from Sam's, so anything within a year and I can bring it back. 3 years = $198. It came with firmware 1.6, but everyone's saying they're all mixed up... and up til now, I can't find anything about 1.6 being any different from 1.0. Does anyone know of any differences or changes?
the version # is nothing more than a manufacture date

duce3 said:
Well it took me 3 days to get through this forum and you have gotten me really excited about it. Can't wait to get it. Will try next month but will probably have to wait to the beginning of February. Can't wait! Was really having trouble deciding between the Gateway 24" , Dell 24", and Benq 24". All had something I didn't like about them. Totally have annoyed my wife with a budget that started at about $400 and ended up at about $1300 after shipping and handling, sucks to have such expensiveness hobbies. :D
i own the 21" Gateway FPD2185W and while its a great lcd...its like comparing apples and oranges to the W3... i still use it on a daily basis...and at times i just snicker at how "small" it is next to my W3..you will be quite happy...i have a 8800gts on the way...so it will be nice to run all of my games with all the eye candy enabled on this beast

got my tax papers from DHL

it cost me 231 € extra. zo

1080 + 231 = 1311 € for an awesome screen unable to get in Europe. Nor for the price, nor for the options.

thumbs up WESTY ! :D

I've finally seen this screen in person. It's awesome as a PC monitor! Unbelievable. Looks great with Gears of War on x360. Too bad xbox likes to bump up the black levels a bit. looks slightly gray. Though a quick brightness adjustment and all is good. I'd buy it if I didn't already have a tv and 3 freigin monitors.

SPEEDMAN said:
got my tax papers from DHL

it cost me 231 € extra. zo

1080 + 231 = 1311 € for an awesome screen unable to get in Europe. Nor for the price, nor for the options.

thumbs up WESTY ! :D

you paid 1080euros just for the lcd + shipping? strange cause the lcd is around 1000$ it should be 761 euros before taxe, unless you mean you paid 230 euros for shipping!?

Ryom said:
Has anyone managed to get this running as a faux dual monitor? Meaning, using the second output on your video card to send another dvi or vga signal to the westy, and enabling PIP to have faux dual-screens?

I tried doing it with dvi2 and vga... my pc recognizes that it sees the display on vga and plays the detected hardware sound (dvi2 is primary, vga is secondary) but it won't allow me to enable the secondary. I tried swapping the primary and secondary sources via the remote to try to force it to re-recognize it, but with no luck.

This isn't a big deal, just fooling around mostly. But I'd just like to know if has worked for anyone :)

Update: it works!.. just had to reboot. Its nice having a second screen you can dismiss at the touch of a button :)

The largest PIP window seems to be 600x450 (actually I measured 599x449 but that just seems odd)... may need to make a custom res to get 1:1 mapping...

In the pic (click for larger version) notepad is running in the secondary "monitor" :)

Also looks like the PIP does 16:9 aspect as well....
Westy_PIP_16-9_Mode.jpg

[Retaliation] said:
i own the 21" Gateway FPD2185W and while its a great lcd...its like comparing apples and oranges to the W3... i still use it on a daily basis...and at times i just snicker at how "small" it is next to my W3..you will be quite happy...i have a 8800gts on the way...so it will be nice to run all of my games with all the eye candy enabled on this beast

That was the monitor I started to look at first then quickly moved to the Gateway 24", but now I have been bit by the 37" westy bug! I am still thinking about buying the 21" for my son and letting that double as his TV and xbox 1 monitor. Or should I just buy him a 360 also?

duce3 said:
I feel ya. The problem for me is not so much budget as it is finding a good vendor. I should've jumped the Crutchfield deal. Anyone who sells the W3 now has either bad rep or won't accept returns... and I'm not ready to just take my chances. I guess that if Crutchfield never gets it back in stock, I'll have to give this up.

sams club carries it online and in some local stores, heard their warranty is good. Bestbuy also carries it too.

Ricey said:
sams club carries it online and in some local stores, heard their warranty is good. Bestbuy also carries it too.
Westinghouse backs the tv for a year. if you can get a good deal on extended..jump on it..Crutchfield was offering 3 years for 89$(i jumped on that)

duce3 said:
That was the monitor I started to look at first then quickly moved to the Gateway 24", but now I have been bit by the 37" westy bug! I am still thinking about buying the 21" for my son and letting that double as his TV and xbox 1 monitor. Or should I just buy him a 360 also?
21" will be more than enough for your son(unless you have the funds...then get him as big as u can get) price on the 21" had dropped a bit since i bought it(ppl are moving towards displays like the W3)

My Bestbuy in Shreveport, La had about 6 of the 37-inchers sitting right where you walk in for $999, each. Might go back later this week, but with all the reported problems with this screen and the ps3, I might hold off.

bandit390 said:
My Bestbuy in Shreveport, La had about 6 of the 37-inchers sitting right where you walk in for $999, each. Might go back later this week, but with all the reported problems with this screen and the ps3, I might hold off.
I don't have a PS3... so please then grab one for me and I'll pay you price+shipping to Illinois...?

claudione314 said:
I don't have a PS3... so please then grab one for me and I'll pay you price+shipping to Illinois...?

The box was HUGE. I don't have a truck and I doubt that box would fit in my car. Also, with tax and shipping it would be close to $1150+.

bandit390 said:

the only prob ive had with ps3 and westy combo is the screen will flicker or flash between the screen u are supposed to see (whatever game or movie you are trying to play) and a black screen it only really happens on stuff thats not 1080p but still sometimes on it still
it is rather annoying and what i do is hit the input button to something else then hit it back to hdmi

well i sold off my 32 inch westy and took the money to help pay for a nice 47 inch westy!!! good deal with best buy and the rest i got 18 months no interest. This thing is huge!! Any suggestions on a good desk to hold it up???

Ryom said:
Update: it works!.. just had to reboot. Its nice having a second screen you can dismiss at the touch of a button :)

The largest PIP window seems to be 600x450 (actually I measured 599x449 but that just seems odd)... may need to make a custom res to get 1:1 mapping...

In the pic (click for larger version) notepad is running in the secondary "monitor" :)

Also looks like the PIP does 16:9 aspect as well....

That bg is beautiful, got a link by any chance?

claudione314 said:
I feel ya. The problem for me is not so much budget as it is finding a good vendor. I should've jumped the Crutchfield deal. Anyone who sells the W3 now has either bad rep or won't accept returns... and I'm not ready to just take my chances. I guess that if Crutchfield never gets it back in stock, I'll have to give this up.

Don't give up man stick with it and you should get your hands on one with the terms you want! It sucks for me cause I hope they will still be around with good deals by mid Jan. Hope I can bug my wife to let me pull the trigger then instead of Feb.

[Retaliation] said:
21" will be more than enough for your son(unless you have the funds...then get him as big as u can get) price on the 21" had dropped a bit since i bought it(ppl are moving towards displays like the W3)

Well now he has my old (bachelors) 20" in his room and that thing sucks. My wife wants the $400 720p all white samsung but I think if I can get my hands on this Gateway for around $300 new or $250 used I will be happy. Only thing now is I would feel bad having him stuck on that xbox1 but he hasn't complained.

bandit390 said:
The box was HUGE. I don't have a truck and I doubt that box would fit in my car. Also, with tax and shipping it would be close to $1150+.
I know... I was mostly kidding. ;) I would just get the 42" from Crutchfield but I can't justify the extra few hundreds. I guess I'll just wait for the right time to come again... hopefully a few post-holidays deals.

Back