Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

reductant said:
WEll, maybe, but your component image looks just like my 1080p image. Same amount of material on the screen. Also, why are those images and your set to 640x480 on a widescreen monitor? It's not right.

I do believe you now, but I don't think something like that would affect me that much. I wouldn't return this monitor over something like that. I just wish Nintendo would relesae a better cable.

We should wait and see some images from the Wii at 848x480 (480p). I think there's something funny about the Xbox 360. Post a picture of your Xbox 360 at 1080p over VGA and see how much is cut off.
According to info button, the Xbox 360 outputs 720x480 at 480p over component. I lose an inch on top and an inch on bottom. :(

what website would you guys recommend ordering the 37w3 from? not too expensive but also a reputable dealer. thanks :)

Had the West 37" for a few days now and figured I'd give some feedback. Yes, it is large - I'm going to be modding my desk so I have an extended keyboard tray to sit further back, but it'll be worth it. 3-4 feet as others have said is comfortable, that's not to say that it is unbearable to be closer, it's still sexy up close but a) you don't need to be hunched in to read anything, and b) you'll be moving your head a lot to look at stuff :)

I have no dead pixels that I can detect. Ghosting, contrary to what I've read here I actually do see ghosting. It is not as bad as the temporary lcd I was using (no idea on stats, it's a sony 15") but it is detectable - e.g. in Oblivion stand outside at a vista with trees, move mouse slightly up and down and it'll look out of focus a little, alternatively get a window up with black text on a white background, drag the window around the screen - the text will look like crap while you're doing that. I suspect that its more noticable because, well, this thing is huge :) That's the extent of the ghosting I see (hey, maybe I'm special :) ), which compared to the Sony is excellent, on the Sony I would _really_ see ghosts (double and treble images) in fast paced action, typically when there is lots of viewpoint movement. You might also bear in mind that until very recently I used a CRT for all gaming - though I've used LCD's at work for a few years.

Overall I'm glad I increased my monitor budget a tad and super-sized.

Mercyreaper said:
Update on availability:

Newegg.com is now selling the 37w3 westy for $1099, $400 off instant savings. Get em while they last. Here is the link:Get the Westy

look at the overview on that link... that'd be nice if it were the 42!

So I thought I'd have my w3 by now, but at this point I can't really figure out where DHL is taking it...

322232470_5f7dfcfac8_o.jpg

What the hell. I tried to look up my firmware model and I got "1._".

The "_" means its a blank. Nothing there.

What in the hell?

urs just went out on thw 12th give it a bit of time but hopefully you get it by saturday and dont have to wait till monday like me

Picked mine up from the shipping hub yesterday...

LCDinTruck2.jpg

LCDonDesk.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Dang, I'm liking it so far. My old computer is in the process of dying, so anything much past 1024x768 makes it lock up, so I haven't seen it at full resolution yet. New system is in the mail though, should be put together in a week or so!

Just dropping by to share some pics. Just got it in last night from Etronics.

*Camera sucks ass disclaimer
** Monitor has not been calibrated yet either. I just dropped the backlight level to 2.

Text up close
The color banding is not there at all, even if you put your mug right up to the screen, its my camera ccd.

1080P trailer, WMV9

HD-DVD Serenity
XB360 HD-DVD player playing through the PC Using Power DVD 6.5
(Because my wife won't get off mother effing Viva Pinata long enough for me to hook the 360 up in here.)

Another Serenity

EQ2
EQ2-2

COD2

etronics sent me one with 2 dead pixels.... Anyone else have dead/stuck pixels?

Anyways westinghouse just sent me a email with a shipping label to send it back to them free for a replacement cause of this since etronics doesnt accept returns. I will wait until like around jan 4th or so to send it out so I can still enjoy it on my christmas break.

Yreka said:
Just dropping by to share some pics. Just got it in last night from Etronics.

*Camera sucks ass disclaimer
** Monitor has not been calibrated yet either. I just dropped the backlight level to 2.

Text up close

lol ah hauahahahahuhs

Thanks for the pics... i will post a few in my TXB westy thread :)

So uhh... anyone that got this monitor from a store or picked it up from a post office have any trouble getting into their car? After seeing how big it looks in that SUV up there I'm wondering how much of a pain this will be to put into my BMW 3 series. Hmm....

phobic said:
So uhh... anyone that got this monitor from a store or picked it up from a post office have any trouble getting into their car? After seeing how big it looks in that SUV up there I'm wondering how much of a pain this will be to put into my BMW 3 series. Hmm....
If you can afford a BMW, why are you buying this TV? ;) I doubt you'll be able to fit into your car. Maybe unpack it and fold down the box at the store?

nah, I say it will fit in the beemer. I have a lancer, and the box fits in my small ass car.

its a big freakin box. Even if your back seats fold down, I doubt you would get it in there.

You really shouldn't lay an LCD on it's side, at least not a big one like the westy. There's no support in the middle of the screen.

Sheazle said:
You really shouldn't lay an LCD on it's side, at least not a big one like the westy. There's no support in the middle of the screen.
Pillows in the box ftw! :p

lol at at that, but it's not the box, it's how the monitor is built, there is no support in the center of the panel on the inside. when you lay it on its side, the glass will bow because its such a large span. if you hit a bump or something, it could be bad.

Oh ok. I've never had a problem transporting mine in that manor. I guess I should keep it upright from now on. :)

phobic said:

Mine came as fedex freight, but no one would be home for the delivery, so I went out to their hub to pick it up. It came with metal straps holding it to a big ass wooden crate. The guy brought it out with a fork truck and I was like.... uh, crap. Got some metal strap cutters? :LOL: Might search online for the box dimensions and do some measurements first. If I think about it, I'll try to measure my box at home today. It looks big, but it's really not deep at all, less than a foot I'd say.

BTW, that peice of paper right in front of my westy was my TN lottery powerball #'s. I was hoping it would rub off some of it's sheer awesomeness and win me a cool mill or two. Nope :( I was gonna buy it a buddy or two just for shits ang giggles if so. :LOL:

Dude it barely fits in my Sti! No box just the monitor. Well thats the 42", but probably not far off from the 37".

[Retaliation] said:
well..just got off the phone with Crutchfield reguarding my PiP issue..."Discontinued Item" y? he didnt have an answer for that....so i called Westinghouse back...they said "its definitely not discontinued" so it would seem that it "may" be just a supply issue...she referd my pip issue to the tech dept..should have an answer tomorrow...if anyone would do me a favor....does your pip setting (once you choose main and sub source,and audio from) stay once you exit the menu...or do u have to manually set them everytime you want to use pip?

It resets it everytime.

[Retaliation] said:
i realize theres alot of post going in here daily..so its easy for ppl to sometimes over look posts...but id really appreciate it if someone could take a minute and check there pip setting for me...my original question is here: (3/4 of the way down the page)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497&page=56&pp=20
thx in advance to those that reply :D

I'll check my v1.0 tonight.

Has anyone seen the w1 and the w3 side by side?

I was at BB and they had the w1... and man, does it ever SUCK... blurry, dim, full of ghosting... okay, it was next to a kickass Bravia, but it was still considerably worse than most other TVs in the store. I can explain the ghosting, with such a low response time, but still...

The w3 is scores better as far as picture quality is concerned---right...?

phobic said:

I have a bmw 3 and it definitely won't fit your car, unless you want to top it on your roof.
This car is a hassle and so is dealer's service.
I changed my mind from upgrading to m3 and go for Cayenne SUV instead.

BPini said:
Where did you get that price? At your local bestbuy?
Well, you can't use BestBuy.com to check store availability for this monitor. I guess I could check when I go to return my Gateway, but I've already ordered from eTronics and it's likely to arrive tomorrow.

Nettwerk said:
Bestbuy has this in store for $999

I so want this monitor!!

PSA:
Make sure its the W3 (1080p) and not the W2 ( 720p) at Best Buy B&M.

Around here, they only carry the W2. W3 is "Online only"

Unless the store has old stock of the W3's, you will likely have to get it online

Back