Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

nice pics. im debating on weather I should hang it on the wall or leave on the desk. and pics of it hanging on a wall????

thanks

thenixhex311 said:
is it the smart thing to do to hook up all audio output's from the devices i plan on using with this monitor (ps2/xbox360/HD DVR) directly to the monitor and then use the composite audio out and run it to my Audigy 2 eX platinum breakout box?

Will i still be able to get surround sound out of my logitech z5300e's (5.1) that are hooked up to my computer by outputting those various sources from the westy TO my computer over said Red/White connection?

thanks!

being that it doesnt output sound in surround sound. Just stereo, it would be wise just too hook it up directly to your break out box.

ptr1nyc said:
nice pics. im debating on weather I should hang it on the wall or leave on the desk. and pics of it hanging on a wall????

thanks

yeah same.. the only pic i have seen it wall mounted is the picture on the first page of this thread

Anyone have a Wii and this monitor? And a Component cable? Guess thats stretching it a bit, but ya i'd like to hear a review of this combination if possible :)

CyC said:
being that it doesnt output sound in surround sound. Just stereo, it would be wise just too hook it up directly to your break out box.

i was laying in bed and just thought of this. It doesnt output in stereo sound? Is that something that is a spec, or is that because it only has two (red/white) audio outputs?

If it is because of the 2 composite outputs, then what about dvd players and getting 5.1 and DTS sound out of dvd's when dvd players have the same output?

5150Joker said:
Finally after waiting a week this baby was delivered to me. I was a bit worried about dead pixels and light leakage but fortunately it doesn't have either. First, here's the specs on the display for those who don't know about it:

Details:
» HDTV monitor (no built-in TV tuner of any type)
» 37" flat-panel LCD screen (measured diagonally)
» 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
» 1920 x 1080 pixels
» ultra-fast pixel response time (8 ms and 8 bit Super MVA panel made by Chi-Mei)
» 1000:1 contrast ratio
» 176°(H) x 176°(V) viewing angle
» Picture-in-Picture for 2 video sources (inset)
» built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2, plus a 10-watt woofer)
» remote control
» 6 A/V inputs, including:
• 1 composite video
• 1 S-video
• 2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
• 2 DVI digital video inputs (accepts signals up to 1080p)
• 1 HDMI digital audio/video input (accepts signals up to 1080p)
» PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin — accepts signals up to 1080p)
» detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 23-1/8"W x 7-3/4"D)
» wall-mountable (bracket not included)
» 37-1/4"W x 23-7/8"H x 4-7/8"D (26"H x 7-3/4"D on stand)
» weight: 43 lbs. (without stand)

The first thing I noticed after unpacking this giant was how light it was! Had no trouble at all picking it up and placing it on my desk. Soon as I turned it on the first thing that caught my eye was how bright the backlight on this display is, I had to go into the menu and drop it down to 80 percent; some may actually like the brightness at full but for me it was a bit too much.

The colors on this display are rich and vibrant and definitely a step above my Dell 2005 which I thought had excellent color. The blacks are excellent even with the lights dim and the picture is crisp using DVI at 1080p. So far I've played back 1080p clips to get a glimpse of how 1080p HDTV would look like and I was blown away, it easily rivals the more expensive Samsung and Sharp displays I saw on display at stores; in fact I don't even think I'll need to calibrate this monitor at all.

Gaming is complete blisss with this monitor, there is absolutely no ghosting that I could detect and playing games like BF2 on a display this large at 1080p gives it a theatrical feel--especially when the speakers are cranked up! Anyway, here's a pic of it with my Xbox 360 hooked up via component running Saints Row at 1080i:

normal_WestyMounted%20006.jpg

saintsrow009aw5cn5.jpg
Where did you get your mount from?

Thanks
LC

thenixhex311 said:
i was laying in bed and just thought of this. It doesnt output in stereo sound? Is that something that is a spec, or is that because it only has two (red/white) audio outputs?

If it is because of the 2 composite outputs, then what about dvd players and getting 5.1 and DTS sound out of dvd's when dvd players have the same output?

yeah stereo output.. left and right. 5.1 from dvd players

westy only outputs stereo sound (left/right). That would require digital coax or toslink and westy lvm37-w3 doesnt have that audio output. The westy doesn't even have any 5.1 audio inputs available. A stereo reciever would be best if you have many surround inputs. this is a monitor remember not a tv (monitors usually don't even have speakers built on them)

If I subscribe to my cables HD and get their "High-Definition Digital Converter with Remote" do I still need an HD tuner or is that the tuner?

XBLiNKX said:
If I subscribe to my cables HD and get their "High-Definition Digital Converter with Remote" do I still need an HD tuner or is that the tuner?
That would be a HD cable box.. you don't need a tuner. It should output to your monitor via HDMI/DVI/Component/Firewire for HD. Depends what your cable company lets you use or has enabled on the box.

Can someone post of picture of the monitor playing normal non HD television?
Or does anyone know of such screenshots?

No pics, but Crutchfield has this on sale for $999.00 right now, they are also offering no payments and interest until 2009!

For all those wondering...

SDTV

Desktop and 360 in PiP

Desktop and 360 in PBP

360 and SDTV in PoP

Desktop and SDTV in PiP

that first pic can't be trusted, because, it looks only good here, in real life it will look different.

it would be like running a windows desktop at 320x200 on a 24" 1920x1200 lcd. it is just horrible.

samsung.204b said:
because they can.
get a better connection.

piss off. i have a great connection. thats not the point. Just no NEED to quote groups of pictures! It just wastes bandwidth

What happens when you try to push a lower widescreen resolution, like 1680x1050, does the 1:1 pixel mapping just spread it out so it looks nice or does it not support the resolution and default back to something else?

also willing to order to Europe. TechONweb.Com doesn't have it in its index, at least not the LVM which we all want.

i found www.bhphotovideo.com, these people seem to have good service, choice of shimpent only i cannot see wether they have the westinghouse 37 in stock or not. Calling to USA is not really an option here.

anyone dealt with www.bhphotovideo.com before ?

they say this:

Important Notice!
This is a special order item and is non-cancelable or returnable. Estimated arrival at B&H 7-14 business days. You will be charged upon placing your order

skrypts said:
What happens when you try to push a lower widescreen resolution, like 1680x1050, does the 1:1 pixel mapping just spread it out so it looks nice or does it not support the resolution and default back to something else?

This is a cut and paste from the manual which you can see online at Click Me

PC Compatible Recommended 1920 x 1080P/I @ 60Hz
Supported
1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz
1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
720 x 400 @ 70 Hz
640 x 480 @ 60 Hz

It does 1:1 Pixel Mapping so for instance if you do 1024x768 it will display a true 1024x768 image with borders on the side. You can still stretch it full screen if you like. I have tested all of the resolutions and they work great with the exception of 1280x1024. In 1:1 mode the text looks a little garbled.

what the hell, i ordered it today from ebay to my country in europe.

hope all will be ok ! :D

this thread had me convinced. gotta love the westy ! :cool:

can anyone tell me: to get HDTV with sattellite what i need and what brand etc.

i need a HDTV tuner and a sattellite dish am i right?

where and what should i buy?

thanks !

I got my Westy from J&R in NYC on Sunday, last day of the $799 price.

I'm about 85% happy with it.

Has some issues that I'm going to put together in a thread, I'm hoping to start a FAQ or Wiki for the westy also. Nothing huge, but issues nonetheless.

One thing I noticed so far, using a DVI single link doesn't work as well as an DVI-HDMI cable. With DVI you can't get it to output in 1080p only 1080i, maybe a DVI-D would work also.

The firmware I got is also very old, 1.0 as opposed to the newest which is 1.6 something.

you can't get 1920x1080 on your monitor? Everyone else say's they can. I thought it was a dual link DVI?

YAY!!

mine comes tomorrow!...well as long as they deliver it before 4pm, i gotta go to work!

So if no tomorrow, then I have to wait until Monday! ARGH!

cant wait to hook this badboy up!

Well thanks to you bastards and this thread I had to get one too :D

<3 <3 you guys

I ordered from crutchfield.com last Saturday and it shipped Monday. I have no idea when it will get here but apparently there is like a 3-4 hour delivery window when the time comes. Its going to be hard to get off work for that long. Hopefully Eagle will be flexible on this but we'll see.

I currently run a PC in the living room with Beyond TV and watch almost all SD tv so I'll have to deal with shitty picture but it will be worth it for the HD 360 action and I'll get an upconverting DVD player too. I'm really looking foward to it.

I'd like to throw a thanks to all you guys that posted pics in this thread. That was cool of you. I'll post some pics as well when I get mine in a few days. Probably nobody needs to see more pics since everything's been covered in this thread already, but I'll have to show it off :D

Now I kind of wish I hadn't quit playing WoW last week cause those WoW pics look just sick lol

Anyway, this was an awesome thread to read through and I'm looking foward to contributing to the love in a few days :)

-elchorizo

i bought mine on black friday, wish it didn't take a week to get a dvi cable from newegg =(

Crutchfield has reverted the pricing back on this model and now they no longer have the sale price.

Ladicius said:
you can't get 1920x1080 on your monitor? Everyone else say's they can. I thought it was a dual link DVI?

I didn't clarify.

I can get 1920x1080 with a single link DVI, but it's not 1080p, only 1080i.

Haven't tried a dual link DVI yet, but I bought a DVI-D to HDMI cable and it's output in 1080p now.

well I just got my comcast box again this time, to get hd channels and I got the box with hdmi, so i can run hdmi to hdmi and my computer dvi to dvi. would that be a problem. Would i be able to get 1920 x 1080?

Back