Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Hey guys,

Just had a couple of questions for you about the Westy. I want to order one and I had a few questions that I am hoping you can answer for me before I buy it. This will function mainly as a TV. I have an HD-DVR from the cable company however I still watch most of my TV in SD. My question is, how is the quality of the picture for SD cable? I have heard great things about the HD-DVD playback and Xbox 360 appearance but not a whole lot about SD. My sister has an LCD TV and the quality on the SD channels is less than I would hope for. I am just wondering if maybe it is different on the Westinghouse. Thanks for your time.

Not sure buddy I ordered mine on monday from PC Nation and it shipped out yesterday. Still haven't got a tracking number from them but they said it is supposed to be here on friday. I am in the seattle area and they said it shipped from Texas. Which wall mount did you get?

I got some random Sanus Systems mount, not really worried about it.

I'm really agitated though, does AIT shipping usually update their tracking site? Also, one person can bring the TV up to the house by themself, right, they won't need help?

SD, depends on if you have a HD box or not, you can set it up to provide a semi-decent picture. otherwise, sd looks like sd, you get used to looking at HD, and well, everything else looks like crap...

HD playback with xbox looks good, so do games...

Oh and on topic of xbox, I got the vga cable, works perfect... Whats the odds... No more ugly colors at the bottom of the screen

My sister has an LCD TV and the quality on the SD channels is less than I would hope for. I am just wondering if maybe it is different on the Westinghouse. Thanks for your time.
How do you think a 525 line standard def signal is going to look on a 1080p set? Like any other upconvert. Crappy. :p This is an HD monitor, meant for full HD viewing. The only reason they include the 'retro' plugs on them is so you can hook your older video game systems up to them and also because standard def tv hasn't been phased out yet, sadly.

SD, depends on if you have a HD box or not, you can set it up to provide a semi-decent picture. otherwise, sd looks like sd, you get used to looking at HD, and well, everything else looks like crap...

HD playback with xbox looks good, so do games...

Oh and on topic of xbox, I got the vga cable, works perfect... Whats the odds... No more ugly colors at the bottom of the screen

does the picture look washed out on the 360 through vga? I should be picking me up a vga cable tomorrow on my way home from class. Then I will stay up all night with excitement like Christmas. Tomorrow is the last day of standard def gaming!

How do you think a 525 line standard def signal is going to look on a 1080p set? Like any other upconvert. Crappy. :p This is an HD monitor, meant for full HD viewing. The only reason they include the 'retro' plugs on them is so you can hook your older video game systems up to them and also because standard def tv hasn't been phased out yet, sadly.

Thanks for the replies,

Sorry for asking questions that have obvious answers but I am not very knowledgable in this area, hence the reason I decided to post here with the hopes of receiving some informed opinions. I know that SD will look worse on HD TV's but it does look better on certain units from what I have seen. I am trying to decide between the Westy and a 37" Panasonic Plasma. The Panasonic is only 720p but it has great reviews just like the Westy and they are about the same price. I have heard that playing games on plasmas can lead to problems which is what got me started looking at LCD's. Just wondering what direction would be best for me. Thanks again.

I also purchased the AVIA and it should arrive soon.

I have a few questions though.

How can I tell whether or not there's a dead pixel?

How does one know whether or not the content displayed is 1080p?

I've downloaded 720p trailers from XBOX Live but so far, I've been unable to watch 1080p content. I did however see the King Kong movie on the HD-DVD player. Is that 1080p?

228923862.jpg

Thanks.

does the picture look washed out on the 360 through vga? I should be picking me up a vga cable tomorrow on my way home from class. Then I will stay up all night with excitement like Christmas. Tomorrow is the last day of standard def gaming!

LOL... Yes, and no. Some people said that it was more vibrant, and brighter than using the component, however, on the games I've tried so far, I've found it to be just as dark as the component. It did look washed up slightly, I mean it wasnt annoying by any means, its a lot better then the purple stripes at the bottom of my screen ;). I just tuned my tv a little bit, and I love it. I mean, I didn't go back and forth over and over looking for the major differences. I do know that every now and again, I feel like I'm under water LOL but that could be because I've been playing almost non-stop for the past week! :D

I think its well worth the purchase. If you get the xbox vga, it comes with the adapter for your tv's audio, I have yet to try a vga-dvi extension, as I do not have the right pin :p... I don't think it would help any, I'd guess it would not work like it one would hope.

Anyways, yes, get it, and see how you like it. I am enjoying it! :D

Well thanks to this thread I just ordered one from buydig.com.... can't wait till it gets here.

Is there a way to input cable hdtv from the digital cable box into my 7950GT graphics card so I can watch hdtv in a window while using my computer instead of putting into a different input on the tv?

Well thanks to this thread I just ordered one from buydig.com.... can't wait till it gets here.

Is there a way to input cable hdtv from the digital cable box into my 7950GT graphics card so I can watch hdtv in a window while using my computer instead of putting into a different input on the tv?

I think you have to buy a separate tv turner card for that. How do you like the 7950gt? looking to build my first pc from scratch instead of hand me downs like I have been doing after my westy gets here hopefully on Friday. congratulations on your purchase.

I also purchased the AVIA and it should arrive soon.

I have a few questions though.

How can I tell whether or not there's a dead pixel?

How does one know whether or not the content displayed is 1080p?

I've downloaded 720p trailers from XBOX Live but so far, I've been unable to watch 1080p content. I did however see the King Kong movie on the HD-DVD player. Is that 1080p?

Thanks.

question 1, dead pixel.) Use this link , download the file, and test EACH color looking for any white, black, or opposite pixel as the rest.

question 2, content.) If you look on your controller, and you push the (i) at the bottom right corner, it will show you what your resolution is.

question 3) Yes, king kong is suppose to be 1080p, I could not get it to display in 1080p with my component for some reason, but have yet to try with the vga, I will try and let you know!! (It shows itself as 1080p with the vga, I'm not going to hook the component back up to test anything, maybe I did something wrong, but theres tons of sites that say the only way to get 1080p out of your 360 is through vga. Maybe someone else can answer for component.)

question 1, dead pixel.) Use this link , download the file, and test EACH color looking for any white, black, or opposite pixel as the rest.

question 2, content.) If you look on your controller, and you push the (i) at the bottom right corner, it will show you what your resolution is.

question 3) Yes, king kong is suppose to be 1080p, I could not get it to display in 1080p with my component for some reason, but have yet to try with the vga, I will try and let you know!! (It shows itself as 1080p with the vga, I'm not going to hook the component back up to test anything, maybe I did something wrong, but theres tons of sites that say the only way to get 1080p out of your 360 is through vga. Maybe someone else can answer for component.)

Great!

Once I get home, I'll run the app to find any dead pixels. Controller as in Westy Remote Control? Right now the HD-DVD player is connected to XBOX and this is connected via VGA cable (generic) though.

Thanks!

Yes, the i is on the bottom right of the remote, right under the right arrow, that is the westy remote. If you are having trouble viewing in 1080, got into your xbox and set it up for 1920x1080 resolution.

I think you have to buy a separate tv turner card for that. How do you like the 7950gt? looking to build my first pc from scratch instead of hand me downs like I have been doing after my westy gets here hopefully on Friday. congratulations on your purchase.

From what I here the card is great... I am still waiting for all the parts to put my computer together but the 256MB 7950GT is what I got.

Ran the Dead Pixel Finder program and I have absolutely no dead pixels. YES!

Confirmed that I'm running 1080p with the VGA (Xbox) and DVI (PC) connection!

Too bad newegg is now selling it for $100.00 less than what I orginally paid for.

Thanks again!

Ran the Dead Pixel Finder program and I have absolutely no dead pixels. YES!

Confirmed that I'm running 1080p with the VGA (Xbox) and DVI (PC) connection!

Too bad newegg is now selling it for $100.00 less than what I orginally paid for.

Thanks again!

Oh damn, 100 less than I paid too...do you think they'll refund the money if we bought it so recently?

I am pretty sure the Westy does not do 1080p over component, only vga and hdmi.

I am pretty sure the Westy does not do 1080p over component, only vga and hdmi.
It does 1080p over component just fine. The Xbox 360 does 1080p over component for games, but HD-DVD's must be played over the VGA adapter to get 1080p. So you will be forced to get the VGA adapter to watch HD-DVD's.

The HD DVD Movies and SD DVD Upconvert ONLY does 1080P with the VGA Cable. The 360 will play games @ 1080P via Component and VGA. Simple as that.

Hey for those of you who fancy the 42w2 and are up in the Seattle area. Fred Meyer has them on sale for $1299.99

Question?..

Does this monitor have winxp drivers or will i be stuck using it as a "Plug and Play" monitor through windows?..

it is a plug and play monitor. Nvidia does recognize the brand and so on, but windows does not.

Dangit and I'm not going to be home for a few Months. >_<

I saw that and almost bit, but I have no use for another LCD TV :(

Fred Meyers is always the last place you'd look for deals on electronics, but we cleaned up with Wii's on opening day there. The one in Ballard / bottom of Fremont is a great store.

I saw that and almost bit, but I have no use for another LCD TV :(

Fred Meyers is always the last place you'd look for deals on electronics, but we cleaned up with Wii's on opening day there. The one in Ballard / bottom of Fremont is a great store.

I am starting to get hip to that also. I was visiting family in Vancouver, WA and they had a couple PS3's when no one could get there hands on them just sitting there. I would of coped one except for the fact that I hate sony! That keeps getting in the way. LOL!

Hey for any of you that ordered from PC Nation how did the shipping go? Did they give you a tracking number? Or just say that it was sent. Mine got sent on the 6th and now it should be here today the 9th. Did someone call and confirm a drop off time? I am chomping at the bit for it. Picked up my VGA cable for the 360, and have started priming the wife to let me build a new rig to push it. No more SD bring on the HD!

Well...I ordered my TV on Saturday through Newegg, along with a wall mount. The wall mount is coming UPS, and is expected to be here tomorrow. The 37w3, however, is coming "AIT Front Door Delivery", and I don't know how long it's supposed to take to ship, NOR has the tracking on the website updated at ALL since Feb. 5th, when it supposedly shipped out.

What is the deal...? Did anyone else who ordered through Newegg not have their tracking update, or anything like that? If it will help, it supposedly left from:

Rowland Bulk Item Warehouse
18045 Rowland St.
City of Industry,CA 91748

and on the "tracking" on the AIT site, it says "AIT Station: LAX"

I live in Washington. When do you guys think it will arrive?

I noticed the tracking info popped up onto the page well after the shipping company got it. I didn't receive the number until 1 day before it was suppose to ship out. I suggest giving them a call and asking about the status. They can update you, and maybe even move the order along. And if they don't have anything, talk to the Egg to get things sorted out.

On previous pages people were asking how to find the manufacturing date. AIDA32 might be able to do this, anyone else want to give it a shot and see what it shows for any westy firmware other than 1.6?

Westy_sysinfo.jpg

Dose anyone knows where I can purchase this monitor and have it shipped to Australia?

Newegg seems like a good place to purchase this monitor although they don’t ship overseas... can anyone help me? Or better yet, dose anyone know when this monitor will be available in Australia and other countries? It seams quite unfair only the USA are able to get there hands on this gem.... :(

it is a plug and play monitor. Nvidia does recognize the brand and so on, but windows does not.

How bout ATI drivers?

Wierd thing for me, i play Dawn of War and when i get back into windows it was running at 30hz..picture was jacked..put it back to 60hz and all is fine but some drivers for this monitor would be nice.

Dose anyone knows where I can purchase this monitor and have it shipped to Australia?

Newegg seems like a good place to purchase this monitor although they don’t ship overseas... can anyone help me? Or better yet, dose anyone know when this monitor will be available in Australia and other countries? It seams quite unfair only the USA are able to get there hands on this gem.... :(

I truly feel for you in regards of not being able to get your hands on it and having the shipping issue. Try different etailers and check if they ship overseas. I bought mine from PC Nation so they might.

Back