Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by 5150Joker, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

PCNation.com has it for $1089.00 with free 3-day Fedex shipping and Newegg.com is selling it for $1099.00 and you get a free Panasonic DVD recorder but they charge you $99 for shipping. Those are the best deals I've seen so far.

2. Jarrott

Jarrott n00b

3. duce3

duce3 Gawd

I just pulled the trigger on mine today just waiting to get everything verified on both ends to have it shipped. PCNation $1075 shipped with free fedex 3 day

4. yevaud

yevaud Gawd

The question is whether ~$350 more for 1080P is worth it. In my opinion, it is. How the cost/feature difference factors into your buying decision is entirely up to you. The next generation of VD, whether it ends up being blu-ray or HD-DVD is going to utilize 1080P. Why buy a set that can't display all the information the signal contains? I have seen 1080P and 720P sets side by side, and I can see a difference from 10ft away with my glasses on. Take my glasses off, and they look the same. With my glasses off, 4ft away, I can again see a difference.

As far as contrast ratios go, the 10,000:1 ratio another poster mentioned was either not an LCD or if it was- they are talking "dynamic contrast ratio" which is misleading at best and plain false advertising at worst.

5. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

I don't think I mentioned anything about a 10,000:1 contrast ratio??

As far as I know, the Westy 37" is 1000:1 and the Olevia is 1600:1.

6. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

Could someone with that has the Westy setup with the stand please measure for me the width and height(w/stand) and tell me those dimensions. I've seen the specs on Westy's web site but sometimes I've found printed specs to be slightly inaccurate. Thanks!

7. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Roughly 27 inches high, 37.5 inches wide. (with stand)
    The stand itself is about 2.5 inches high and 23 inches wide.

8. slumpey

slumpey n00b

9. duce3

duce3 Gawd

has anyone had any issues with pcnation? I just ordered mine today.

10. Jarrott

Jarrott n00b

11. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

My ent. center also has space for 38" which brings me to the 37w3. My question is: because of the side inputs, how much extra width will it bring me to with an HDMI cable, x360 VGA adapter, etc. sticking out of the side?

12. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

I may be wrong but I think the side inputs aren't as close to the side as you might think. Here's a picture of the back of the TV and I've drawn arrows to where I think the side connectors are. If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me. Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. uluvbs

uluvbs Limp Gawd

The 10:000:1 I mentioned before was for a DLP 1080p, not an LCD, but I was just asking in general how the picture quality and colors were on this display versus other 1080p displays. Thanks.

14. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

Oh, in that case it would be perfect. I must have been looking at pictures of an older model that had inputs on the side.

Thanks,
    Ryan

15. bpaul2303

bpaul2303 n00b

Has anyone had any issues with that site?If so I'm going to get it off newegg.com I know they are a good site for that TV.Tons of people I know used that site but it has it a lot cheaper on pcnation.com so I might get the 42inch off that site.If anyone has any info if that is a good site let me know.

16. facesnorth

facesnorth Limp Gawd

Some other questions I have, can someone confirm that the LVM-37W3 has HDMI 1.2? How long do you expect it will be before we wish we had 1.3?

Also, has anyone figured out what the latest and greatest firmware revision is on this monitor? If I buy one online from PCNation or such, will I likely get the latest and greatest firmware revision?

Thanks again,
    Ryan

17. SleeplessIncubus

SleeplessIncubus Gawd

yes that is correct...the inputs are just like that.

18. g1xx3r

g1xx3r [H]ardness Supreme

As soon as you hook up a PS3 to it..Not sure if the problem is resolved yet..

19. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

So, what's the problem with the PS3?

I have one and if there's an issue with it working with the PS3 then it looks like I'll be going with the Olevia.

20. 320cdi

320cdi n00b

I ordered a Westy 37" from buydig,com today and it has already shipped via FedEx with Delivery for tomorrow 2/6. Wow, now that is fast!

21. kinson

kinson Gawd

You're suppose to read back a few posts like I said, and then realize I was not talking to you. Wanna get all offensive thats fine. Just saying, read back a few posts. Oh, and if you're insulted by me calling you a genius, I always thought that to be a rather nice thing to say to people personally ;).

Sarcasm, love it!

22. kinson

kinson Gawd

The problem with the ps3 is the HDMI... Sony messed up, they're having trouble even getting their OWN tvs to work with it.

23. bpaul2303

bpaul2303 n00b

24. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

Yeah, I want to get all offensive with you, that's why I threw the "lol" in there.

Also, I'm not a psychic so when you say, "and how many times are people gonna ask if this is good for TV", I didn't know I was suppose to read back a few posts. ;)

25. Leykis

Leykis Limp Gawd

I was reading through the pdf user manual on the Westinghouse web site and didn't see anything about a zoom feature. Some LCD's have the option to zoom in or stretch the picture out when watching 4:3 content, does this TV not have those features?

26. duce3

duce3 Gawd

What was the final cost?

27. duce3

duce3 Gawd

As soon as I get mine I will let you know what firm I have

28. kinson

kinson Gawd

Yes, as well as most cable/sat receivers do also. It does have a stretch, if you get it, its on your controller, and its between volume and channel, below input, and looks like <-> ;)...

You can also change it within the menu. It will stretch. Once everything is set up right, it will fill the whole screen as opposed to just "zooming" like it was doing for me at first.. (I never really cared, spent too much time gaming with my pc then watching tv ;)

29. bpaul2303

bpaul2303 n00b

Ok!Do you have a ps3?How do you know what firmware you TV has does it tell you in the settings or something?

30. 320cdi

320cdi n00b

Total cost $1,052 + 24.95 shipping ($1,076.95)

The $ 24.95 is their standard shipping cost and it shipped the same day so no need to upgrade to anything else. checked the FedEx site this morning and it is on the truck for delivery!!.

31. duce3

duce3 Gawd

Sorry no PS3 and no plans to get one I have a 360 and will be building an new rig soon. You have to go into the monitors settings to find out the firmware

32. duce3

duce3 Gawd

Steam rising from my head first thing in the morning! They still haven't verified my information and yours will be there today! AAGHH!

33. kinson

kinson Gawd

I've spoken to westinghouse about the PS3 problem, hdmi and so on. They said that if the problem exist with their product, it is because of sony, and NOT them. From what I understand they're not going to do anything to remedy, they will not be the solution and that it is up to sony to fix their faulted products.

I'm not sure if that is reliable or not, but the tech sounded pretty serious about it, and it is true, it is sony.

34. 320cdi

320cdi n00b

I received mine 11:30am and just hooked it up and HOLY CRAP this thing is Huge and Beautiful. Just ran a pixel checker and no dead pixels!!. They even double boxed the package. A fantastic transaction from Buydig.com

35. nextgengamer.biz

nextgengamer.biz n00b

Anyone have the problem where their hd dvr box outputs "snow" to the Westy via HDMI? It seems to occur when I switch from HDMI to DVI (pc). When I go back to watch tv a few hours all I get is a "snow" image.

The only way around it is to either unplug the HDMI cable or turn on/off the cable box. Turning off the box isn't so bad but sometimes I can't due to an active recording.

Anyone have a better solution? I'm using the Comcast Moto 6412 III box.

36. duce3

duce3 Gawd

Was that like grinding salt in the wound? LOL! Congratulations please post some pics. Mines is in the warehouse and ready to ship should go out sometime today and receive on Friday. counting down the time until westy gets here.

37. 320cdi

320cdi n00b

LOL!...sorry did not mean to rub it in I know you must be excited to get this thing. Just an FYI, you will need to be home to sign for the package.

38. duce3

duce3 Gawd

I know just teasing. My wife or I should be home on Friday because she will have the day off. I think I will be missing class on that day! LOL!

39. the_recluse

the_recluse Gawd

U guys r gonna love this monitor!!!

40. duce3

duce3 Gawd

I hope so now I have to build a new rig to run it if the wife would let me. I need some settings for a 360 through vga.