Got my VF700-Cu today (809k in 12 pics)

k1114

2[H]4U
So the fan on my XFX 6600GT AGP was loud as hell, super small, very hot, annoyingly loud (did I mention the noise?). So I ordered one of these beasts. They are lightweight and provide awesome cooling (supposedly) with little or no noise. You can set the fan to 5v or 12v, 5v being the obvious choice for me. My hands were shaking through the install out of nervousness and lack of sleep in the previous 36 hours or so. I wouldn't be able to sleep with uninstalled hardware around anyway :p Only thing worth noting is that lugs are VERY secure, but it is scary to install the heatsink on it due to the pressure it puts on the core (much like putting a clip on a socket A heatsink, but with screws). I can definately see why the brace on the back is required.

And now the pics begin! Most of them are self explanatory, the only one that might be confusing is the one where I put the lugs in, it looks very similar to the previous one.

vf05.jpg

vf06.jpg

vf07.jpg

vf08.jpg

vf09.jpg

vf10.jpg

vf11.jpg

vf12.jpg

vf13.jpg

vf14.jpg

vf15.jpg

vf16.jpg

Old temps were 51-53c idle and 61-63c load, currently idling at 46c, so there is a definate improvement. I could probably get those a lot lower by running the fan at 12v, but since noise was the main reason for the upgrade, that won't be happening. Will test load temps later.

Dr. X said:
Load temps now! :p

Just went through a round of JKA, 55c right when I exited. Could probably get a few degrees more over time. Going to do a bit longer session to see.

Ran a bit longer this time (about 3x as long) and im getting 55c still. Not a bad spread between idle and load, although I still think it would go a couple degrees higher in a more stressful setting.

I'm pretty happy with it :)

nice, looks like you got some decent temps out of it and its quiet to boot.

i just have one request...

for the love of God and all that is holy, turn those hard drives around and take a crash course in wire placement/management.

besides that. good job :)

B1zz said:

for the love of God and all that is holy, turn those hard drives around and take a crash course in wire placement/management.

Turn them around? I never even thought of that! Next time i'm in my case I just might do that...

That looks like an Antec 3700AMB case (I have the same one)...if he has a front 120mm fan then turning the drives around will force him to remove the front fan (otherwise the wires will hit).

If no front fan...then no problems :p

Just wondering how did you remove the fan? I have the PCI-E version and I assume they have the same fan setup?

Sgt_Strider said:
Just wondering how did you remove the fan? I have the PCI-E version and I assume they have the same fan setup?

The pci-e might have something different, but it should use the same retention method. You just pinch the pushpins on the back and they pop out, and the heatsink lifts off.

B1zz said:

lol.. you'd scream if you saw mine. Wires EVERYWHERE ha.

great job, did the same on my xfx 6600gt ;) to bad the ramsinks didn't fit on, but the rams are a little cooled by the airflow, i think.

one hint : get yourself a variable resistor and run the fan at 7v, no noise - better cooling!

one question, is you're hsi bridge chip -heatsink geting damn hot to, maybe its possible to replace it with some bigger?

shadowlord said:
great job, did the same on my xfx 6600gt ;) to bad the ramsinks didn't fit on, but the rams are a little cooled by the airflow, i think.

one hint : get yourself a variable resistor and run the fan at 7v, no noise - better cooling!

one question, is you're hsi bridge chip -heatsink geting damn hot to, maybe its possible to replace it with some bigger?

Would be very hard to replace the HSI bridge with anything due to clearance issues, not sure if it gets hot at all. I don't think the ram gets very warm from what i've heard.

7v might be a good option as well, I might mess with that later :) Right now its more than doing its job so i'm inclined not to fuck with it :p

k1114 said:
The pci-e might have something different, but it should use the same retention method. You just pinch the pushpins on the back and they pop out, and the heatsink lifts off.

Was it easy to pinch the pushpins out? If I want to reuse the heatsink for future use, what kind of thermal compound will allow me to easily remove this heatsink from the videocard? I know I can't use Arctic Silver so don't recommend me that!

k1114 said:
Just went through a round of JKA, 55c right when I exited. Could probably get a few degrees more over time. Going to do a bit longer session to see.

You really shouldnt check temps like that. You either need to check them in real time, or with a program that records the temps.

Sgt_Strider said:
Was it easy to pinch the pushpins out? If I want to reuse the heatsink for future use, what kind of thermal compound will allow me to easily remove this heatsink from the videocard? I know I can't use Arctic Silver so don't recommend me that!

Please answer my question...

Sgt_Strider said:
Please answer my question...

Whats wrong with artic silver? And how do you KNOW you can't use it? ( I am assumming your are making an assumption ;) )

the one review i saw had the AS NV5 doing 1-2C better on load and idle with zalman fan on max :(

vf07.jpg

That's an XFX's 6600GT? What, did they make 2 different versions?

I only saw this one..
card_s.jpg

Back