Got my STASIS NV7800C5 installed (pics)

Z

Zinn

I just got this thing in and thought people would like to see pics before I write the proper review up. One thing of note is that this cooler *should* also be compatible with the x1800 series, as they have the same mounting layout as the 7800s. I would have been testing this theory had I not heard of the upcoming Nvidia 512 card :cool: For my review of the STASIS 6800-series cooler, click here. I still haven't load tested all of the fan settings, but here's what I got so far:

STOCK idle core: 46 C
STOCK idle amb: 36 C
STOCK load core: 78 C :eek:
STOCK load amb: 39 C

----

STASIS medium fan idle core: 38 C
STASIS medium fan idle amb: 36 C
STASIS medium fan load core: 54 C :eek:
STASIS medium fan load amb: 38 C

A 24 C drop in load temps is nothing to shake a stick at, especially when the AS5 is still setting. Over the next few days I'll be testing more load settings, but for now I gotta game! Here's some pics:
top.jpg

bottom.jpg

mirror.jpg

prc.jpg

^^^ power regulator cooler
before.jpg

naked.jpg

after.jpg

installed-3.jpg

^^^ oops, i kind of fracked up the black finish with rubbing alcohol :(

That things a BEAST..
**Dont get me wrong.. im very impressed! Overclock it!

Hmmmm, would it be possible to install a better fan more suited for your tastes in noise/performance? Some might want a Tornado while others might want a silent fan.

If you follow the link to the review:
The NV6800C1 is unique in that it has a mount to allow the end-user to supply their own standard 80mm fan.

How heavy is that thing? It looks like the card is bowing under the weight of the cooler... :eek:

Damn, awesome results but to see that pcb taking a dip, I throw water on it instead.

Yeah that card is kind of bending. Is that last pic when the card is horizontal?

CrimandEvil said:
If you follow the link to the review:
Yes, but this isn't the 6800C1 and from the looks of it the mounting screws for the fan are not hex or phillips or anything useful but rather a circle and therefore likely a permanent fan.

My question still stands: can the end user attach a fan of their own liking?

skindogg said:
Yeah that card is kind of bending. Is that last pic when the card is horizontal?

Dunno if it's necessarily weight. A lot of the systems with "tall" HSFs on them, if you overtightened the screws, will bend the card like that.

Ether said:
Hmmmm, would it be possible to install a better fan more suited for your tastes in noise/performance? Some might want a Tornado while others might want a silent fan.

What's really a shame is the orientation of the fins on the heatsink left and right. If you'd oriented them 90 degrees (up and down), you could put two cards in SLI with these things on them with no fans - then just put a whopping big fan across both cards blowing down both HSFs at the same time.

KickAssCop said:
Holy mother of.. where can I order dammit?

Before getting so excited...would certainly like to see more reviews and comparisons against other HSFs.

I mean, we've surely ALL heard tales of Arctic Cooling Silencers getting 30C (or more) drops, no? Maybe it does happen (maybe the stock cooling really WAS that bad)...or maybe it's hyperbole.

/me waiting for more reviews.

NICE temps, but bowing the card like that makes me cringe. After smoking 2 6800GT's from overtightening coolers, I'd be careful.

I'll do my best to address some of the valid questions and concerns brought up by various members.

Q: Is the fan upgradable on the NV7800C5 model?
A: Yes, it is held in place with 4 stainless steel 4-40 thread pitch, 1/16 hex head screws. Easily removable and exchanged for longer screws (which can be included upon request). Naturally, the NV7800C1 which is offered for exactly this reason, includes 1" long screws to accomodate larger profile fans.

Q: How heavy is it and will it break my card?
A: The total system weight is approximately 750grams, which is not light, though not unreasonably heavy in light of the latest Quadro series reference cooler, which tips the scale past 500grams. While I advise using a cardkeeper, or a metal rail such as those round on the XFX boards, the card will not fail due to the static load, and PCIe slots all feature integrated retention mechanisms. Only if you drop your case would there be the potential of the heatsink damaging the board.

Q: Can you damage the board by overtightening the mounting hardware?
A: The system is designed to help prevent this from happening. Included are preinstalled studs, a Lexan backplate, 4 nylon spacers to protect your PCB, 4 silicone cushion spacers to distribute the load evenly, and 4 nylon insert locknuts to prevent overtightening/backing out with time. If you are completely inept and use a powertool to install the nuts, then you may have a problem. Otherwise, installing it as the directions indicate will ensure the safety of your card.

Q: Is a super low profile model/SLI/SFF compatible part in the pipeline?
A: Yes, much like the current NV6800C3 model, we are working on releasing a special low profile cooling solution. The current NV6800C5 will fit in SLI if no back ramsinks are installed, which is not an ideal comprimise. 7800GT boards do not have this same limitation.

Q: Why not have a passive model with forward facing fins instead of the current horizontal setup?
A: Good idea! That hadn't been considered before, though we'll look into such a setup along with a 120mm fan mounting solution. :)

Q: Does it include ramsinks?
A: Yes, a full set of 8 premium copper BGA ramsinks are included with thermal tape premounted. (Removable should you desire to return your card to stock). Of course you can thermal epoxy if you want the maximum performance.

Q: Exactly how many slots does a NV7800C5 occupy?
A: 2 adjacent PCI slots on conventially laid out motherboards. More if you use a larger fan naturally.

Feel free to post any further questions.

BTW, all future orders will be fulfilled with shrouds that are hard anodized in Black, Blue and Red. :cool:

Curious - how many slots DOES this take up? (Can't see quite clearly)

I'm using an mATX system, with the mobo mounted flat on the bottom of the case, so weight isn't even any kind of concern.

Size is, of course. So...how many slots adjacent to the PCI-E 16x will be lost?

Also - it looks like something sticks over the top of the card? Does that part HAVE to be there? Will create clearance problems in the Aspire case...

Also, what kind of ramsinks come with it? Any?

(oooooh....anodized black?? *drools* What's the ETA??)

consumer9000 said:
Feel free to post any further questions.
My only question is when are you guys going to show off your chipset cooler? ;)

Other then that you got some really cool heatsinks and that I really like dderidex's idea on the fin arrangement and SLI setups. :)

I like that MOSFET sink... me thinks I will get a pair for my soon-to-be mine GTXs. :)

That looks like a A8N-SLI Premium...

I'm still waiting for my A8N32-SLI to arrive, they keep pushing the ETA date back on that SOB! :mad:

lloose said:
**Dont get me wrong.. im very impressed! Overclock it!
Sadly, my video card is held back by a crappy core, not cooling or PSU. The new heatsink didn't help my OC squat (475/1350), but it certainly is badass :D

Back