Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

I am thinking that this will be my next monitor. I will have to reread this thread and write down all the best settings when I eventually get the monitor.

Yeah.. so i got mine today! BEST BUY price matched Newegg! So far the 360 and PS3 and my PC look great! Going to calibrate it tomorrow with a Spyder2.

My Dell 2707WFP is going up on Ebay $900 FREE SHIPPING! ZERO ZERO ZERO dead pixels. :)

helm

hey matt, I have a 2707 also...but the reds/blacks kinda worry me...

It's obvious what choice you made, but can you kinda give out some comparison of the two? I <3 my 2707, but I wouldn't mind something bigger :D

The Aquos is better for gaming. No ghosting and the input is lightening fast. I'm not sure why people were having problems hooking this up and using as a monitor. I have it hooked to a 8800 gtx and the picture looks great! I still haven't calibrated it yet but just some simple changes in the settings and Bioshock, Quake 4, TF2, HL2:E2, all look and run excellent.

Still messing around with some of the PS3 settings to get the best picture. Same goes for the xbox360. 360 looks much better than it did through VGA on the 2707. I'm using componant on the Sharp.

fwiw....

helm

thanks matt, I really appreciate the input...

now that the 37" westy's (not the SE's) aren't available any more, I've been looking to go a wee bit bigger and the sharp is looking better & better

Does anyone know the color gamut on this thing? Also, does this LCD suffer from the overdrive ghosting issues like the Dell 2407wfp-HC monitor (inverse ghosting caused by moving light images over a dark background)?

does this unit allows Picture in Picture? Or display 2 different input in a window some how?

For eg., can you view your TV in the bigger part of the screen, and use the DVI port from your computer to display something on a smaller part of the screen?

does this unit allows Picture in Picture? Or display 2 different input in a window some how?

For eg., can you view your TV in the bigger part of the screen, and use the DVI port from your computer to display something on a smaller part of the screen?

No PIP.

The Aquos is better for gaming. No ghosting and the input is lightening fast. I'm not sure why people were having problems hooking this up and using as a monitor. I have it hooked to a 8800 gtx and the picture looks great! I still haven't calibrated it yet but just some simple changes in the settings and Bioshock, Quake 4, TF2, HL2:E2, all look and run excellent.

Still messing around with some of the PS3 settings to get the best picture. Same goes for the xbox360. 360 looks much better than it did through VGA on the 2707. I'm using componant on the Sharp.

fwiw....

helm

Whats your opinion on it for text/surfing? I'm not looking for 3007WFP like clarity, just "okay" or "not bad."

hello there. i just purchased the lc-32gp1u. i have it hooked up to my pc through dvi getting 1080p. i also have a 2nd 19in samsung monitor extended through vga. but im running into a slight problem. when i switch inputs or turn off/on the tv when the pc connected, the sharp stops displaying the picture, but the samsung picture is fine. the sharp is my primary display btw.

Does anyone here have any recommended settings for a Wii hooked up through component? Mine looks fairly blurry. I understand it can only run at 480i, but I'm sure it can look better.

2ymi0xw.jpg

2mds0lf.jpg

Hi All,

I went & ordered the LC-32GP1U from Newegg on 28 Sept 07, it arrived via UPS on 2 Oct 07.
First impression is that this is a fabulous display. Once I hooked it up to my PC & tweaked the settings ( My thanks to all of the folk who contributed their tweaks in this thread) I was rewarded with a sharp crisp picture. I ran Dead Pixel Buddy & found 1 dead/stuck pixel. I then ran UDPixel for about 3 Hrs & the dead/stuck pixel no longer exist. Pictures are coming, I promise.

Let me say that I was quite conflicted about purchasing this display. All of the negative reports mixed with the glowing ones really had me sitting on the fence. To those of you out there who are considering purchasing this display, I say go for it.

About dead/stuck pixels, admittedly I only had 1, however I didn't see it at all until i ran Dead Pixel Buddy. Without trying to insult anyone, I think if you look hard enough you'll find something wrong with any & all of these LCD Displays.

As far as color & image quality I think it's more about personal taste more than anything else. I recommend that anyone purchasing this LCD or any other one for that matter take their time when adjusting it. In addition make sure that you read the Manual. Most of the Manuals can be downloaded from the manufacturers website in PDF form. You might want to do that prior to purchasing.

Anyway that's my take on this display. I'm very pleased with it & am glad that I purchased it.

I have to completely agree about taking time to adjust this TV properly. This TV does not look very good with it's out-of-the-box settings, but when you properly adjust it, it looks fantastic.

Also, don't think that the settings that someone else posts are the best settings for the TV. A friend of mine, after seeing my GP1U, decided to go buy one for himself. I helped him set it up, and I noticed that his TV looked a bit different than mine, even though it was on the same settings I was using. I say, either buy a color calibration tool and calibrate it that way, or if you don't have one, mess with the settings for a while until you find something that YOU like.

I'm glad to hear that you like your new TV =)

This TV does not look very good with it's out-of-the-box settings

That's definitely the truth.

I used my Avia HT calibration disc and it ended up looking even worse. Avia had me setting the contrast way too high and the brightness way too low. Everything was very obviously too contrasty and blacks (while nice and dark) were completely lacking in detail. Not sure what the problem is there.

I'm still not completely happy with my settings but it looks pretty decent I think. The red push is definitely present but I think I can live with it.

I have to completely agree about taking time to adjust this TV properly. This TV does not look very good with it's out-of-the-box settings, but when you properly adjust it, it looks fantastic.

I went to Best Buy the other night and they had two of these TVs out on the floor. One looked pretty good while the other had extremely washed out colors. I can only guess that it was due to the settings on the TV. It was kind of funny to see, cause they were just two TVs over from each other and you could easily compare the two.

so when calibrated, is there a better screen in this price range for tv and video games? i'd probably be using this monitor mostly for tv, video games and movies. i love my crt, but it's just too big...i need something thinner. after doing countless hours of research, i think this screen is my best bet (and the price tag isn't too shabby). am i wrong?

After reading all 33 pages, I am still on the fence. I cant decide whether to get a 30 inch monitor such as the 3007wfp or to try out a 40/42inch 1080p set (such as a samsung model but might be too big) or to just get the 32 inch version of the aquos. I would really like Picture in Picture which this set does not have. The 3007wfp seems to have too few connectivity options, so that leaves the gateway 30 inch monitor, or the Sharp, or something larger. i have no doubt that the Sharp will be everything I need it to be EXCEPT for PIP.

The blacks on my 37" are absolutely terrible. I haven't really noticed it in gaming but looking at photos it just sucks. I'm guessing video with dark scenes is going to be very bad also.

Looking at this picture:

SNC10428.JPG

I can't see any detail within the black of the speakers. I can't see where the tops of the two middle speakers end. I can't even see the ports on the two middle speakers and I can barely see the ports on the outer two speakers.

And that's with the contrast and brightness cranked more than they even should be, at reasonable levels it gets even worse.

Either I got a defective panel or there are some extremely non-discerning users in this thread. Time to call the place I bought it from and see what their policy is. I'll probably end up spending a hundred bucks to return this one and get another one and then find out it's just a crappy LCD and there wasn't actually anything wrong with it.

What settings is everyone else running? I noticed one person is using -25 for brightness, this leads me to believe I do have a defective unit as when I set mine on -25 its so dark its practically unuseable.

Try these:

Using DVE to calibrate

Backlight -3
Contrast +35
Brightness -12
Color -7
Tint -3
Sharpness -4
User Mode > Advanced:
Color Temp: Middle
Black: On
In Options:
Turn digital noise reduction to :Low.

Using Avia to calibrate

Backlight: -3
Contrast: +35
Brightness: -12
Color: -5
Tint: -3
Sharpness: -4
User Mode > Advanced:
Color Temp: Middle
Black: On
In Options:
Turn digital noise reduction to :Low.

Yeah, I have to have my brightness set to at least +20 to get any black detail at all, and of course set that high I'm not getting nice dark blacks. Something's got to be wrong with it. I submitted a warranty request to Toshiba, we'll see where that goes.

As I said earlier I was on the fence about this monitor because of no PIP, and the dynamic contrast attribute. Well, my local BestBuy had them in so I pulled the trigger. I have 30 days to return it if I am not happy. Well I got this bad boy home and set it up and here are a few thoughts for anyone still considering. SDTV looks great for an LCD, better than my 42 inch Vizio and about the same as my 50 inch Pioneer Plasma. HDTV is stunning. Vibrant colors, deep blacks for an LCD. Movies on my 1080p upconvert dvd player look excellent, Xbox 360 games and the HD-DVD player both look superb. PC games are something you have to experience on this monitor. Coming from a 2407 I would never go back in terms of PC Games. HOWEVER, there is one thing that is irking me about this monitor and it is NOT the dynamic contrast. Its how terrible reds look while using it as a day-to-day PC monitor. I took care of the dynamic contrast problem for the most part with a little tweaking, but for the life of me I cannot fix my problem with terrible looking reds. So as I am typing this on the LC-32GP1U, I cannot decide whether to take it back and get a 2707/3007 or just deal with it. Also, for those thinking of getting the 37 or 42 I would check one out first. Some people have posted that sitting 2 feet from this 32 inch is fine for browsing but I got headaches at that distance bad. Im sitting 3.0 - 3.5 feet from it for optimal viewing. That would put me more like 4.5 feet for a 42 and I just cant sit that far away. Ive only had it for 2 days so I will play some more with the settings and if I get the horrible looking reds fixed I will let you know.

I would rather pay a few hundred more to get it new from a reputable dealer. The 32D62U is $1000 from Newegg for example, while the 32GP1U is $1200.

As I said earlier I was on the fence about this monitor because of no PIP, and the dynamic contrast attribute. Well, my local BestBuy had them in so I pulled the trigger. I have 30 days to return it if I am not happy. Well I got this bad boy home and set it up and here are a few thoughts for anyone still considering. SDTV looks great for an LCD, better than my 42 inch Vizio and about the same as my 50 inch Pioneer Plasma. HDTV is stunning. Vibrant colors, deep blacks for an LCD. Movies on my 1080p upconvert dvd player look excellent, Xbox 360 games and the HD-DVD player both look superb. PC games are something you have to experience on this monitor. Coming from a 2407 I would never go back in terms of PC Games. HOWEVER, there is one thing that is irking me about this monitor and it is NOT the dynamic contrast. Its how terrible reds look while using it as a day-to-day PC monitor. I took care of the dynamic contrast problem for the most part with a little tweaking, but for the life of me I cannot fix my problem with terrible looking reds. So as I am typing this on the LC-32GP1U, I cannot decide whether to take it back and get a 2707/3007 or just deal with it. Also, for those thinking of getting the 37 or 42 I would check one out first. Some people have posted that sitting 2 feet from this 32 inch is fine for browsing but I got headaches at that distance bad. Im sitting 3.0 - 3.5 feet from it for optimal viewing. That would put me more like 4.5 feet for a 42 and I just cant sit that far away. Ive only had it for 2 days so I will play some more with the settings and if I get the horrible looking reds fixed I will let you know.

I wish reds were my biggest problem with the set. How does the picture of the speakers i posted (probably on the previous page now) look to you?

You might want to just take it back then. (Or if you're like me, it will eat at you...)

Okay, I am planning to buy this TV in a few weeks and I have a important question to ask, can you change the resoultion anytime you want or find out what resoultion you are using? Thanks! :D

Well i bought one and got one with 13 dead/stuck pixels. Piece of sh*t if you ask me. This thing is getting returned asap.

Just out of curiosity anyone know what the manufacturers out the door dead pixel limit is? I mean getting a lcd with 1 or 2 sucks but 13 ????

I was so happy when I unboxed it and set it up on my desk. Started up the PC and was like "WOW this thing is awesome" then I noticed all the dead pixels that are scattered all over the middle of the screen. I had to go for a walk around the block cuz i was about to put my fist through that *uckin thing.

Going back to my 24" Benq for now till I get in the mood to blow the money on a 30" Dell.

Can someone post pics of this 32 GP1U as it displays documents, text, multiple open windows, etc.? I searched the whole thread but couldn't find anything. Of course, I might've missed something. After 34 pages, my eyes got pretty tired. I'm trying to see how this TV functions as an everyday monitor.

Thanks!

FWIW, I totally agree with JD here. Several months ago I owned both the Sharp 32" gamer version as well as the Westy 37". I ended up keeping only the Westy, and it wasn't because of the size. I actually preferred the size of the Sharp, given the distance I sit at the computer. I've grown accustomed to the Westy's uberness, but occasionally I'll find myself saying "WTH...this thing is almost too big!"

I've actually considered downgrading to the Dell 2707 because I prefer 1920x1080 to the 2560x1600 of the 30", but taking into account the current prices it looks like I'd have to take a loss on the Westy and then pay additional money to go to the smaller screen of the 2707 which I think makes no sense whatsoever.

But back to my point, JD's observations of the Sharp's image quality echo mine. I really liked the glossy bezel and tried very hard to be satisfied with the Sharp but I could never get the image quality up to par. Don't get me wrong, it looked great...until one day I opened up the Westy and put them side by side for a direct comparison. Things went downhill quickly from there, and it was only a matter of time until the Sharp was put up for sale. I took a bunch of pics at the time and planned to make a big comparison thread, but most of the pics turned out like CRAP thanks to my old digicam not being up to snuff. I managed to find a couple of pics that turned out OK and help illustrate what I'm talking about. They are intentionally large to help show detail; sorry about the size and I wouldn't bother clicking if you're on dial-up unless you happen to need a lengthy bathroom break.

Sharp 32" IQ

Westy 37" IQ

These pics do a pretty good job of showing what I mean. Open the images in tabs side by side, and notice how the images look noticeably smoother and more natural on the Westy, while they appear grainy and more "digital" on the Sharp. That is not a camera effect and was the case with any material -- whether surfing the net, viewing pics on my PC, and to a lesser extent, playing games. I fired up Far Cry running both monitors simultaneously, and in-game colors on the Westy were actually more vivid and natural looking than on the Sharp. It was a fairly large difference, though I probably wouldn't have known any better had I only tried the Sharp. It's possible I could have fooled around with the color settings even more to get it looking closer to the Westy, but that would have thrown the colors off for everything else (desktop use). At that point my mind was pretty much made up as even if I could get the colors to be as vivid as the Westy, I just couldn't get used to the stupid dynamic contrast bullcrap that was infuriatingly present no matter how much I fiddled with settings and tweaked the unit.

I followed the advice of fellow Sharp owners that had calibrated the unit, but even after tweaking the display I could never get the image quality up to par with the Westy or even my old Dell 2001FP.

I can fully understand people who don't know any better wanting to be in denial about this, and it's likely that one would never really think the image quality is lacking unless they viewed it side-by-side with another quality monitor. And I'm not talking about a 22" TN panel, I mean a GOOD monitor.

If you guys are interested in more pics I do have a few, but as I said, most of them didn't turn out well and do a pretty poor job of showing the differences between the two. It's not my intent to bash the unit, but it's definitely not perfect and to be honest I expected more from it considering the cost. I do miss the integrated TV tuner, though. :eek:
Wow, those IQ pics really opened my eyes. I'd never be satisfied with the Sharp or Westy. I want a bigger LCD for all my PC apps, not just games. My writing, editing, graphics, video work to gaming ratio is about 50/50. My only option seems to be going with a 30"-er.

just not so sure you should go off just one post...there are many people happy with both displays and it takes some set-up time to get them looking good, keep reading thru this thread.

The color temps or something must not be right on that Sharp image. When I go to yahoo, it doesn't look blue like that.

Bigfoot & Prolific.... I'm with you two guys. Mr Wolf should take those screen-shots with grain of salt.
They make both Westy and Sharp look pretty sad. I think its the camera or its settings, or some-such..
One of my TVs is a 32" 1080P Sharp D62U, and screen-Images and Text are beautiful, clear & sharp----and colors, excellent.

BTW, for benefit of anyone who has been fooled by the name-------the Sharp's "Brightness" control does not adjust the Brightness.
That name is a poor choice of words. The Sharp's 'Brightness' control adjusts the level of Blacks..
Big Thanks to a poster by name of KevinJ for that valuable tip).

Bigfoot & Prolific.... I'm with you two guys. Mr Wolf should take those screen-shots with grain of salt.
They make both Westy and Sharp look pretty sad. I think its the camera or its settings, or some-such..
One of my TVs is a 32" 1080P Sharp D62U, and screen-Images and Text are beautiful, clear & sharp----and colors, excellent.

BTW, for benefit of anyone who has been fooled by the name-------the Sharp's "Brightness" control does not adjust the Brightness.
That name is a poor choice of words. The Sharp's 'Brightness' control adjusts the level of Blacks..
Big Thanks to a poster by name of KevinJ for that valuable tip. (See the Sharp 32"-37" Thread here at Hard).
How about posting some pics of your Sharp displaying text and images? I went to BB, but the idiot "Salesman" said he wasn't allowed to connect a computer to any TV.

Back