Got my new lab switch - HP V1910-24G (3Com Baseline Plus 2928)

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Pretty nice. I got this because my SG-300 was running out of room since i now have a dedicated iSCSI storage server for my ESXi hosts. With plans to put dual gigabit nics in all 3 servers and more i needed a bigger switch. Did some research for a cheap Layer 3 Switch packed with all the features and saw this on Amazon for $277 used.

I will be doing a full review soon!

eRRaW.jpg

S01Ep.jpg

ktV01.jpg

hiosE.jpg

BZSQl.jpg

h2K8w.jpg

I guess you can ignore my post in the other thread, I just read the title of this one. :)

Have fun with it....and remember, if you are having trouble configuring something on it....it is most likely due to some weird terminology change by 3com :)

Have fun with it....and remember, if you are having trouble configuring something on it....it is most likely due to some weird terminology change by 3com :)

Yes, as you can see from the SS above they call it "Storm Constraint" instead of Storm Control.

Im really interested to hear how this switch works out for you after you get used to it a bit more :)

I'm looking forward to your review as I'm thinking about getting one too. Not much more expensive than a second hand switch without warranty and perhaps a chitload of problems.
Would love to see performance with iscsi and aggregate links.

One gotcha I found: If/when you delete a VLAN, the ports will still be tagged with that now non-existent VLAN, and you manually have to set them back to default VLAN and port settings.

One gotcha I found: If/when you delete a VLAN, the ports will still be tagged with that now non-existent VLAN, and you manually have to set them back to default VLAN and port settings.
That doesn't seem too bad. I mean what if the network admin accidentally deletes a port on a vlan and needs to put it back on the same vlan with all the same settings.

What the hey... I didn't know those were old 3Coms. Really curious how this works out for you. I have a not-so-nice opinion of 3Com switches.

That doesn't seem too bad. I mean what if the network admin accidentally deletes a port on a vlan and needs to put it back on the same vlan with all the same settings.

It was just unexpected. Takes 2 clicks to make a VLAN, about 15 to remove the VLAN and get the ports back to default settings.

I've had my V1910 for over a year now, it has been rock solid.

I figure that they wouldn't want to rebadge a switch that didn't live up to the expectations of the regular HP stuff
I wonder if the buffer of the 1910 is sufficient for jumbo's because it would be one of the few in it's pricerange. Right? :confused:

I figure that they wouldn't want to rebadge a switch that didn't live up to the expectations of the regular HP stuff
I wonder if the buffer of the 1910 is sufficient for jumbo's because it would be one of the few in it's pricerange. Right? :confused:

It says it supports 10K Jumbo Frames.

It was just unexpected. Takes 2 clicks to make a VLAN, about 15 to remove the VLAN and get the ports back to default settings.

I've had my V1910 for over a year now, it has been rock solid.
It's good to hear that it's been very reliable for you. :cool:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Would anyone know the answer?

I am putting my iSCSI on a VLAN this weekend and will enable Jumbo frames to test out.

It definitely supports Jumbo frames, and I can saturate gigabit just fine with it, don't know if that's what you mean by buffer.

During ~115MB/s from Windows to Solaris CIFS:
Frame 181440: 9014 bytes on wire (72112 bits), 9014 bytes captured (72112 bits)

Back