Got my New Buffalo WHT-HP-G54 :(

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Well I'm getting some strange results...Especially since my old Netgear Bridge is pretty much broken (it won't connect to anything).

First Test I did was Placed the Buffalo router in place of my netgear Router and checked the signal on my wireless USB dongle. It stayed the same. I proceeded to Boost the Signal in DD-WRT using Xmit Power I boosted it from 28 to 100, the signal to the card did not budge...So much for having High signal strength compared to my 3 year old wireless G netgear, or this hack to increase the signal. So far, wasted money.

Now Since my bridge (netgear could still not connect (it can only detect networks, but not connect to them as of last weekend wtf!) It was time to put the router back in place and try the Buffalo as a Bridge.

I placed both routers next to each other; they are roughly 25-30 feet from my Main Router. I enabled the Client Bridge on the Buffalo MIMO Router.

Both Routers had about the same signal I'm getting about 48-60% at this range (Pretty terrible!) DD-WRT However also tells me the signal quality as well which is POOR about 35-39%

Next test was to scan for other local networks. The netgear is picking up all kinds of stuff, between 4 and 7 networks! Some of which appear to have a stronger signal than my own router not more than 30 feet away :( (say 35%, 40% 65% and 70-99%)
The Buffalo router only picks up 2-3 networks at a time, not always event he ones that are appearing as 99%, which also have stronger signals! Even our neighbor’s ancient Wireless B router has a stronger signal (Granted it also appears to have more noise).

So far I'm not too impressed with my new purchase, I thought MIMO was supposed to have a stronger signal than standard G, ESPECIALY with the DD-WRT Hack? What the hell are my neighbors using that is boosting the hell out of all their signals? They are mostly old people that probably don't know anything about computers... Why does my equipment SUCK?

I'm thinking about returning this POS Buffalo router= I should have spent the extra cash for the EnGenius bridge that advertised 400mw power. As u=of right now this was not an upgrade at all, the options in the DD-WRT Firmware are much better but my signal has not increased at all, in fact, it appears to be worse! I set the Buffalo to 150% power and see no difference in signal over it's factory setting. I wish I would not have believed that DD-WRT could actually adjust this...I should have known better.

is -rssi in dd-wrt really negative? do I want that number to be lower? If that is the case I guess My signal is really 35% on my new MIMO compared to 60% on the netgear?

I guess you installed SP2? I never saw any difference with SP2 set to more than 10mw. Only SP1 seems to register changes to the xmit. That's why I stuck with it despite some other improvements in SP2.

Once you get SP1 working, set it to 80mw-100mw and swap it with your landlord's router. Then put your older router back bridge mode. That should be the best combination if you just ordered one. Before you disconnect the landlord's router, be sure to login to release its DHCP connection.

landlords router won't work as a birdge...netgear does not have that option and my bridge sees to be dead.

I'll do a search for SP1 I think I installed SP2

Acording to DD-WRT forum this is not as True MIMO router, so thats proabably why it is the same as my 2 year old one that I was supposedly "upgrading" from...

get real antennas

antenna gain > moar power

Not sure this router can be used with other antennas? Or maybe I need some kind of special adapter.

I assume you're talking about the WHR-HP-G54 because I can't find a WHT-HP-G54, and it is not a MIMO router.

The first problem I see is your boosting the xmit power, don't do that on the HP because it already has a built in amplifier (read the FAQ/Wiki on DD-WRT.com).

The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has a built-in amplifier. If the amplifier is turned on, the radio power should not be set above 10 mW.

One reason the Buffalo with DD-WRT may be seeing less networks than your old gear is DD-WRT defaults the sensitivity range to 2000 meters.

I don't know if you can damage the radio or amplifier by boosting the xmit power, but I have two WHR-HP-G54 routers, one as a client/bridge. They are on opposite ends of the house and get 40-50% signal strength going through several walls.

I assume you're talking about the WHR-HP-G54 because I can't find a WHT-HP-G54, and it is not a MIMO router.

The first problem I see is your boosting the xmit power, don't do that on the HP because it already has a built in amplifier (read the FAQ/Wiki on DD-WRT.com).

One reason the Buffalo with DD-WRT may be seeing less networks than your old gear is DD-WRT defaults the sensitivity range to 2000 meters.

I don't know if you can damage the radio or amplifier by boosting the xmit power, but I have two WHR-HP-G54 routers, one as a client/bridge. They are on opposite ends of the house and get 40-50% signal strength going through several walls.

if it does have an amp in it your overdriving it by putting the power higher than 10mW... causing it to clip, which will only make things worse...

also remember your network card puts out a certain amount of power anyway... and if the access point is putting out more it wont help you any becuase your network card will hear the AP but the AP wont hear your network card...

It is being used as the Wireless network card (sorta) I have it in client bridge mode and my netword is hardwired to the bridgerouter (only one PC on the network right now though lol but this router shoudl broadcast the singal as good as or better than a network card would. By Default DD-WRT is setting i to 28mw. I changed it back down to 10mw and there is still no difference, I'm getting 50% signal from a short distance away, perhaps it is my current router (Netgear) but when I tested it as a router I had about the same signal as the one I am using now.

Well at least it works for now since my netgear bridge stopped transmiting...

I'm considering getting another for the main router because it keeps dropping the signal, but I'm considering getting something like the D-Link 655 instead, it's twice as much...Then again the WHR-HPG54 is on sale at outpost.com

I run the same router as a wireless ap. I have the power set to 27 in dd-wrt and have a d-link 7db antanna on it. Range is give or take about 6 houses down so 120 yards.

What version of DD-WRT are you running? Before v23 SP2 it did default to 28Mw, and you also had to telnet to the router and set a boardflag to enable the external amplifier. They fixed that with v23 SP2 and it automatically sets everything.

See this link for more info: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-HP-G54#Built-in_amplifier
Jimnms,
I'm using v23 SP2 so that can't be the issue. It did however default to 28mw... I used the generic file as the wiki told me to use this? Did I put the wrong firmware on it?

How do I check/change the setting of boardflags=0x2758 (it's nice it tells me a I Need to do this but HOW?)

Wow that D-link antenna sounds awesome considering my signal is so poor with the stock ones. Even with 2 powered routers connecting to each other (Can't even transmit one room away) Do you have to use some kind of adapter?

I ordered another of these so I can compare it to the first one. Worst case I wasted $120 and will have to try something else. My regular Netgear router is now acting up so I need something to at least stop it from dropping my connection every 20-30 minutes while I figure out hwo to make my network truely better.

I finaly dug up some info (They should include this in the wiki :( )

my boardflag is set to 0x2758, but the default power was set to 28mw in the web interface.... Perhaps my unit has a busted internal amplifier? Should I send the unit back to newegg?

When I flashed mine with v23 SP2 it automatically set the boardflag and set the xmit power to 10mW. Is the status/router page showing the correct router model?

79601549.jpg

Prior to v23 SP2 it showed the HP model as a WHR-G54S.

When I flashed mine with v23 SP2 it automatically set the boardflag and set the xmit power to 10mW. Is the status/router page showing the correct router model?

79601549.jpg

Prior to v23 SP2 it showed the HP model as a WHR-G54S.

Yep it shows the correct router model. I think maybe the internal amplifier is not working / was not working, but event hen I would have thought boosting the xmit would make some kind of difference... Does the internal amplifier still work in client bridge mode?

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't make a difference, but did you try reverting back to the stock firmware and seeing if it improves? Also, tomato firmware is quite nice, although has a lesser feature set. But just to make sure it's not a configuration issue, stock firmware would be decent to test

No I have not tried it and probably will not, as it would have to be flashed back to be used as a client/bridge again anyways...I will play more once I get my second WHR-HP-G54, Untill it shipps I'll just have to live with the 40-50% signal and a disconnect every 30 min to an hour. I have been dealing with it for 2 years now anyways, no wonder I'm liking single player games so much better these days...

No I have not tried it and probably will not, as it would have to be flashed back to be used as a client/bridge again anyways...I will play more once I get my second WHR-HP-G54, Untill it shipps I'll just have to live with the 40-50% signal and a disconnect every 30 min to an hour. I have been dealing with it for 2 years now anyways, no wonder I'm liking single player games so much better these days...

I don't understand why you mean it has to be client or bridge mode.

I'm using this router as a bridge, to provide internet to all my Computers in my room. Rather than buying each of them a network card I jsut run cat 5 to the bridge (Actualy to a switch then to the bridge for the sake of not having cables all over :p

Back