Got my first ever Intel chip.. 2500k Baby!

FireBean

Gawd
First off, AMD, eat your heart out. This CPU is totally bitchen! Granted, all I got right now is the stock HSF and I know why people hate these things now. No clamping power. I am REALLY surprised at how fast this thing heats up and cools off. My old 955 took forever to cool down after being stressed, and it was on water.

I do have one concern though, before I get some much needed parts for my water, how hot can this thing get at stock levels. I mean going from high 30's to 70's in a matter of seconds has to be very stressful on the chip. Also, I think I won't need more than 1.45v to get this thing to 5.5Ghz glory on water, so what temperature should I keep it away from at that voltage.

Also, is there a way of making it only go to 5.0+Ghz when it's needed? I don't need that kind of power for browsing the internet. My motherboard is a Asus P6Z68-V. It's the shiznit as well. Damn thing got it 4.8Ghz with the auto-clock feature. I did not stress it though. Too scared to that with a stock HSF. But, the auxiliary temp sensor is always over 100c. What is this sensor monitoring and is that a safe temp?

But, the auxiliary temp sensor is always over 100c. What is this sensor monitoring and is that a safe temp?

Could be nothing at all. Could be that what ever monitoring program you have does not have a calibration file for your exact motherboard revision meaning it does not know how to interpret the result. It's frustrating that still in 2012 there is no standard at all for how temp sensors are used and that motherboard manufacturers will not even be consistent on the same motherboard (across revisions) let alone on all products they sell..

I doubt you'll get 5.5 out of it, even under water. And if you did, you'd almost certainly need more than 1.45V. Even 5.0 can take more than that voltage. As far as temps go, something in the 70s under Prime or IBT is fine. As long as you leave EIST and C1E turned on (power saving features) the chip will idle at 1.6Ghz.

"I doubt you'll get 5.5 out of it, even under water."

I doubt it's capable of operating at all underwater! (LOL)

5.5 will be a rare bird but 5Ghz should be doable. I have my 2500K under water and it never exceeds 70C on any stress test except Intel Burn Test which will hit 80C. But that is 5.3Ghz at 1.57V for benching only. I normally run at 4.5 @1.325V and it never goes over 60C.

Well, I think I got a real decent chip. I cannot wait to get it on water. I was able to get it to IBT at 4.5@ 1.28v. But that was just a quick and dirty standard test. Hovers at 70c at that setting.

The thing with these is that they all hit a multiplier wall at some point and that will be your limit.

Quick and dirty test is - with excellent cooling only---

set Voltage to 1.55 and set multy to 50, 51 , 52 etc. When it stops posting, that will be your max multi.
I have had mine post as high as 57 multi, but havent had the cooling/time to really find out if that will actually work without some form of extreme cooling....

I doubt you'll get 5.5 out of it, even under water. And if you did, you'd almost certainly need more than 1.45V. Even 5.0 can take more than that voltage. As far as temps go, something in the 70s under Prime or IBT is fine. As long as you leave EIST and C1E turned on (power saving features) the chip will idle at 1.6Ghz.

I'd agree. I've never taken a Core i5 2500K that high with water cooling. 5.1GHz? Sure. 5.2Gz? Rare but it does happen. And after 5.1GHz or so you'll need about 1.5v.

I just picked one up too. :D All my parts are still sittin in a box until my stupid fan brackets for my Venomous X show up.
I'm not even going to bother with the stock heat sink. Last one I used on my 1366 i7 couldn't even keep it under 70C at stock. Why do they even bother sending that piece of crap?

Got an ASRock Extreme 4 gen 3 Z68 board for it. This thing is gonna scream! WOOT! Especially when my other ref Sapphire 6950 (6970 stable) gets here.

I'm hoping 4.5 for everyday with some pretty low volts. :)

Soon as the 7950's come out I'm picking up a 2500k same day, then 5ghz here I come!

The Thermtrip (this is the final shut off) for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is 125c. If your computer is running that hot than you are most likely going to damage something other than the processor. The highest temperature that you really want to have the Intel Core i5-2500K during normal use is around 72c.

First off, AMD, eat your heart out. This CPU is totally bitchen!
You want to see something sexy? TPU just put up a new review. AMD 7970 GPU with Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem. The $50 cheaper SB CPU stopped BD by up to 26%
Also, is there a way of making it only go to 5.0+Ghz when it's needed?
There sure is. I have a P8P67 Pro and have my 2500k OCed to 4.4 ghz. Hardware Monitor says it maxes @ 1.35 volts. When the system idles it drops to 1.6GHZ @ .98 volts. To do it you need to leave all power saving options on and use 'offset' overclocking.

Basically do this:

Update to the latest BIOS
Set the BIOS to optimized defaults to clear any wonky CPU settings that you may of put in
Reset up your AHCI or other BIOS settings you tweaked. Now your back at where you left off, but with default CPU settings.
Set Load Line Callibration to Ultra High
Set Duty Control to Extreme
Set Phase Control to Extreme

At this point, use 'Offset' to increase or decrease stock voltage. Set the offset to + or - to add or reduce voltage. For 5GHZ you'll definitely want to have it to +. Start with something like .020 volts and test for stability. If it's not stable increase by .005 at a time, or decrease if you have a really good chip :eek: Stable means at least 12 hours of Prime95. I've had my OC crash the system in the 6-8 hour point but never after that. 12 is the absolute minimal, 16-24 hours is likely completely stable. Temps should be mid 70's tops, but it can go a little higher. Keep in mind I am a OC noob so if someone says something different than definitely consider that.

Last edited:
First off, AMD, eat your heart out. This CPU is totally bitchen! Granted, all I got right now is the stock HSF and I know why people hate these things now. No clamping power. I am REALLY surprised at how fast this thing heats up and cools off. My old 955 took forever to cool down after being stressed, and it was on water.

I do have one concern though, before I get some much needed parts for my water, how hot can this thing get at stock levels. I mean going from high 30's to 70's in a matter of seconds has to be very stressful on the chip. Also, I think I won't need more than 1.45v to get this thing to 5.5Ghz glory on water, so what temperature should I keep it away from at that voltage.

Also, is there a way of making it only go to 5.0+Ghz when it's needed? I don't need that kind of power for browsing the internet. My motherboard is a Asus P6Z68-V. It's the shiznit as well. Damn thing got it 4.8Ghz with the auto-clock feature. I did not stress it though. Too scared to that with a stock HSF. But, the auxiliary temp sensor is always over 100c. What is this sensor monitoring and is that a safe temp?

Now you know why I partly *dread* my own move to i5-2500K. You managed to push it further than I have any plans on pushing mine - and you did it as an ooopsie with the stock HSF. (Kyle's review of the Sandy Bridge Ks may have been FAR more prophetic than even he expected.)

Why no big push? Three reasons, actually.

1. No real need - once framerates go above 60 fps sustained, the rest becomes bragging - and I refuse to get into such an e-peen match.

2. To get there, the GPU - not the CPU - would need to not be a bottleneck, and the GPU is a major bottleneck with a Q6600 at stock. Even if I upgrade the GPU first (unlikely), almost whatever I upgrade it to will become a new bottleneck beyond a 4 GHz i5-K clocking, if it's even necessary.

3. Lack of demand - few games that I even play (no Skyrim or DA2, for example) demand even 5 GHz quad horsepower (none of the shooters I play do, as most are either multiplatform or older - two RTS titles may; however, both are more likely to be GPU-bottlenecked than CPU-bottlenecked).

By the by, the two RTS titles are Civilization V (a known GPU oinker, due to a lot of DX11 usage) and newcomer to my system ANNO 2070.

Well, see you are using yours for gaming. I do a lot of content creation and having this kind of speed and power to push my projects fast before I send them off to a render farm is money in the bank. I would have gotten a 2600k, but I got a pretty nice deal on this motherboard and cpu combo.

Well, see you are using yours for gaming. I do a lot of content creation and having this kind of speed and power to push my projects fast before I send them off to a render farm is money in the bank. I would have gotten a 2600k, but I got a pretty nice deal on this motherboard and cpu combo.

The frightening part is that i5-2500K is like paying new-Camaro prices for a new Corvette ZR1.

For applications (never mind games) that *don't* take advantage of HTT, what's the performance gap between identical configurations?

I actually agree - the Sandy Ks are a welcome tool for the high-end user; thing is, they aren't priced like high-end CPUs (except for i7-K, they aren't even priced like high-end CPUs of the previous generation). Prices for i5-2500K, especially due to various bundleage, remind me of pricing I haven't seen since the Great Kentsfield Fire Sale (or even MicroCenter's Great Lynnfield Fire Sale) - and it's been like that for the past six months. Before this week's deals, even at MicroCenter, i5-K hasn't *just* been luring former AMD campers - it's been luring those that had been running dual-core or older quad-core CPUs. (You learn a lot just by keeping your ears open while in a MicroCenter.)

At least while the current bundleage is going on, LGA775 has no relevance at all - even for cheapskates.

I would have given negative rep for the use of shiznit, but then you said you do content creation, so all is forgiven.

I would have given negative rep for the use of shiznit, but then you said you do content creation, so all is forgiven.

I only use it when I'm losing my mind due to pure awesome... FYI, I'm still an amateur. I'm still taking classes on stuff I don't know about, which is a lot still. :D
I'll a be a pro someday, but I need to pay the bills somehow.

Well, I think I got a real decent chip. I cannot wait to get it on water. I was able to get it to IBT at 4.5@ 1.28v. But that was just a quick and dirty standard test. Hovers at 70c at that setting.

70C @ 4.5 on the stock heatsink? I find that hard to believe when I'm hitting 68-75-77-75 @ 4.2 on 1.27v (all else "auto") with a GeminII S (nothing special, but I'm sure considerably better than the stock HSF. It hits that after about 10min of IBT and then stays there.

I was considering upgrading to an H80 if I can get it to fit in my case, but realistically, this chip at 4.2 is more than enough for me for now. I would be happier if the temps stayed under 70 though.

I dunno what to tell you. I mean, it's winter and I keep my house at 65F to save money. I just wear a coat all day :D . I did find something though that might seem crazy, but I found a program that heats it better than IBT. It's the litecoin miner called minerd.exe. I was just playing around with it, and it hit 90! I was like WHOA!

Friday my new parts should all be here. YAY!

Back