Got my first board with Cherry MX Clear switches. I love them!

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
So I've gone from Blues to Browns to Reds, tried Blacks and hated them, then kinda settled on Browns as my favorite switch type. Been using mostly Browns for the past few years because they're fairly quiet and easy to type on, yet still retain the tactile bump which I find useful in games.

Recently went back to Blues and WOW, how refreshing. I still like Browns a lot but I didn't realize how much I missed the typing experience of Blues.

Because it's been a while since I got into mechanical boards and there are a ton more switch types now than there used to be, I decided to branch out a bit and try a couple of new ones. I wasn't really interested in trying any new linear switches so I decided to look for Cherry MX Greens and Clears.

Picked up a Cooler Master board with Greens on eBay and I like them, though they might be just a touch too stiff for me to want to use long term. I do like them, though. We'll see.

Clears proved to be harder to find, so I was forced to buy new. I decided to take a chance on one of the MK Fission keyboards from mechanicalkeyboards.com (along with a Deck with Cherry MX Blues because I've always wanted a Deck and they were on sale!).

Man, what a great keyboard! Or, I should say what a great switch the Clear is for me since I don't know much about the keyboard or its reputation. It certainly appears to be well built, is offered with a ton of switch types, and I like the fact that the keys are set up like the Corsair boards (not inset into a frame). But I've really been enjoying the Clears. They might just be my new favorite, at least for the moment...definitely in my top 3 along with Blues and Browns.

Anyone else have a chance to use Clear switches and if so, do you like them? I realize they won't be for everyone but if you like Browns but want heavier resistance and a more tactile bump, definitely check them out. I don't think you can go wrong.

I also picked up a LNIB Logitech G900 from the FS/T forum and I like it more than I expected to. Great mouse!! I has new toys and am excited, can you tell? :)

I had my eye on that Fission board, ended up getting a PCGR with Gateron Blues. Grats on the new toys =)

Now the question is... What kind of keycaps are you getting for it?

Clears are my favorite Cherry MX switch type out of what I've sampled from a sampler numpad before, but it's not easy to find a whole keyboard decked out with 'em, so I usually settle for Blues.

As for why? Browns are practically linear in feel, I hate linear switches with long throw for digital inputs, and while Blues feel nice on the downstroke, the release point is noticeably higher than the actuation point due to the stem design. Clears have all the tactility without the noise, and a fairly consistent actuation/release point to boot.

I might wind up modifying my DSI Modular Mac (or in a few months, my Kinesis Freestyle Edge) with MX Clears if I can source 'em. If not, I guess I'll try out those Zealios I've heard so much about, since they're said to be pretty close to Clears.

Now the question is... What kind of keycaps are you getting for it?

No clue. I haven't even thought about that - been too excited over the switches themselves. :) I'd most likely want PBT caps, but since the board is backlit I guess I need to do some research on which ones would be the best to use. Any suggestions?

Clears have all the tactility without the noise, and a fairly consistent actuation/release point to boot.

Exactly! To me, they offer a little bit more tactility than Browns which is welcome. As I said previously, I LOVE Blues, but I don't always want the noise at home because my man cave sits right in between two bedrooms and I sometimes have late night gaming sessions. So the fact that the Clears offer the tactility without the noise is something I've been enjoying very much.

Well, good thing about the board I just got: I can order a pack of Gateron clears and swap out the switches, since it's modular. Maybe when I get bored in a few months, as it's only $30. Right now it's not the click that's killing me, it's the bottoming out against the aluminum plate. I type like an epileptic caveman.

And yeah, Cherry browns were basically linear for me on my Logitech 710. After I got over the 1st mech wow factor, I hated them.

Lateralus I ended up picking these up as a cheap alternative: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tra...onalized-vintage-wasd-108-87/32778469879.html

Literally $20 shipped when you use the AliExpress app, they're offering huge discounts right now for their anniversary.

My wife and I both want these, but those are some expensive caps: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/milkyway-pbt-dye-subbed-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

Well, good thing about the board I just got: I can order a pack of Gateron clears and swap out the switches, since it's modular. Maybe when I get bored in a few months, as it's only $30. Right now it's not the click that's killing me, it's the bottoming out against the aluminum plate. I type like an epileptic caveman.

And yeah, Cherry browns were basically linear for me on my Logitech 710. After I got over the 1st mech wow factor, I hated them.

Lateralus I ended up picking these up as a cheap alternative: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tra...onalized-vintage-wasd-108-87/32778469879.html

Literally $20 shipped when you use the AliExpress app, they're offering huge discounts right now for their anniversary.

My wife and I both want these, but those are some expensive caps: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/milkyway-pbt-dye-subbed-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

Thanks for the links! I hadn't even thought about AliExpress. I'm not used to shopping there and never think to check there for anything unless a product is linked to somewhere online. I was mainly browsing around on mechanicalkeyboards.com, and there was another set on Massdrop that I was looking at but I don't know how great they'd be for a backlit keyboard. That Milky Way set is extremely unique!

One thing to note: if you want to buy O Rings, use ebay. $1 per pack of 120, free shipping. Just takes 2 weeks to get here from China.

Glad you're digging the clears man, I was looking HARD at that Fission with clears but ended up getting a Francium Pro with browns.

How are you liking the Deck? I'm absolutely in love with mine, couldn't believe the build quality when I took it out of the box

Glad you're digging the clears man, I was looking HARD at that Fission with clears but ended up getting a Francium Pro with browns.

How are you liking the Deck? I'm absolutely in love with mine, couldn't believe the build quality when I took it out of the box

The Deck is sweet, man. I couldn't believe the price they're going for on sale; seems like usually a Deck is $150-$170 (which is probably too much; I mean it's durable as hell but you can get a K70 RGB for $140, albeit with ABS caps).

They shipped me a 5% coupon for my next order so I'm seriously considering picking up another one with Browns in case I don't see them for this price again for a long time..

The Deck is sweet, man. I couldn't believe the price they're going for on sale; seems like usually a Deck is $150-$170 (which is probably too much; I mean it's durable as hell but you can get a K70 RGB for $140, albeit with ABS caps).

They shipped me a 5% coupon for my next order so I'm seriously considering picking up another one with Browns in case I don't see them for this price again for a long time..

I got the same coupon as well, very cool, as well as the little button and sticker. Nice when companies do little extras like that. I'm holding on to the coupon to get a Fission with clears if they go on sale :p

I got the same coupon as well, very cool, as well as the little button and sticker. Nice when companies do little extras like that. I'm holding on to the coupon to get a Fission with clears if they go on sale :p

The Clears are awesome but they may spoil you away from Browns. I usually don't like stiffer switches (hated Blacks and I don't think I like Greens quite as well as Blues) but the Clears hit a sweet spot with me.

It's too bad they aren't available in more keyboards, but I've been extremely happy with the MK Fission so far. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I have a WASD Code TKL with clears. They usually have a variety of boards with clears in stock. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ The only minor drawback is that the clears are more fatiguing during long gaming sessions than the Cherry speed switches I had on my Corsair k70.

I have a WASD Code TKL with clears. They usually have a variety of boards with clears in stock. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ The only minor drawback is that the clears are more fatiguing during long gaming sessions than the Cherry speed switches I had on my Corsair k70.

Yeah, I looked at the WASD boards on mechanicalkeyboards.com and have seen them on Massdrop as well. I ended up taking a chance on that MK Fission board and have been super happy with it! The key feel is excellent. I picked up a Ducky Shine 4 with Clears from the FS/T forum here within the last week and the backlighting is superior on it but I actually prefer the way the keys feel on the MK Fission.

That's true that they are potentially more fatiguing but so far it hasn't been an issue at all. I usually do not like switches with high resistance but after using Clears and Greens, Browns and Blues feel almost too light at times. I still love `em and will happily use them but I'm in heaven with the Clears right now. We'll see if it's a phase, as in the past I've tended to use one type for a while and then switch to another in the rotation. :)

Back