Got my CoolIT ECO A.L.C. installed

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
My ECO came in yesterday and I got it into my PC. There were a few minor issues with it...

I'd read that the cord from the pump unit was a bit short. Depending on the layout of your board, this wins mild understatement of the year. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/bluemonkeytech/IMG_3636.jpg is one of the pics from the popular review by Henry Butt. That image is not deceiving - the 3-wire plug from the CPU unit is only about 6" long. The fan on the radiator plugs into the CPU's 4-wire PWM fan header, so the pump unit plugs into some other fan header (probably the one that you had your previous case fan plugged into). On my Classified E759, that plug was down by the PCIe 1x slot. With the ECO's CPU mounted "the right way", the cable comes out the top and couldn't reach any of my 3-pin fan headers. I rotated it 90° clockwise, so it now comes out the front side of the socket and will reach down under the NB heatsink to the fan header. I believe my AM2 board had another fan header pretty close to the CPU socket, but this board doesn't have anything nearby. The cable on the fan is a bit longer, but still none-too-long to reach my CPU fan header at the top front corner of the socket.

Mounting the fan/rad unit in my Cooler Master RC-690 was also a bit challenging. I plan to do some testing with different setups, but first I mounted it as-shipped in the back exhaust fan position. With the hoses at the bottom, the third nub on the rad (fill port, unused hose hookup, something else?) hits the large passive NB heatsink on the Classified. I've got two fans mounted on the inside top of the case (standard mounting location) with plain old round wire grills. To get the fan/rad mounted on the back of the case, I had to push the unit up into that fan to get the screws to line up with the mounting holes in the ECO's fan. I do have silicone gaskets between all my fans and their case mounting surfaces, which add a bit of thicknes, plus the mentioned grills. If you removed those, there may not be any contact at all, but it's still pretty tight in there.

With having to turn the CPU unit 90° and mount the fan/rad upside down, the routing for the hoses make them a little twisted and tensed up. I don't believe it's stressing anything too bad or causing any issues, it's just not perfectly straight line runs like you might see in some pictures. It does clean up the CPU area though.

Other than having to remove the board to swap the backplate (I really should've cut a hole in the tray when I painted it) and trying to figure out the best way to mount the rad and orient the CPU unit, the install was pretty painless.

Now for the good news. With my S1283V, I was seeing CPU (166x20, auto voltage, HT and Turbo on) temps in the upper 60's, like 68-70°C. After removing it, I can see that it did have some dust accumulation on the fins - it could stand to be cleaned, but wasn't packed full of crud or anything. Stock fan with the stock PWM control. After switching to the ECO in the default exhaust setup, I'm now seeing temps in the low 60's. It feels a bit cooler in the house today, so the ambient may be a bit lower (the wall thermometer says 68°F). I'm now seeing 61-63°C, though I think it was more like 63-65°C last night right after the measurements on the S1283V and the swap.

This isn't meant to be a super-scientific test, but it is controlled enough to say that my temps have dropped a good 3-5°C, possibly as much as 8-9°C. The CPU has been at 100% with dnetc for about 20 hours, so I'm pretty confident that the temp is stable here.

Here's my system with the S1283V installed.

I have 6x120mm case fans installed. The top/back corner has two exhaust fans. The other four are intake - front bottom by the hard drives, in the bottom 3 5.25" bays, in the lower spot on the side panel, and the front fan on the top. The S1283V divided the intake and exhaust from the top two fans, so cool air would come in near the RAM, pass through the HSF, then head back out through the top/back corner.

Here it is after installing the ECO.

The ECO is in place of the rear exhaust fan, in the as-shipped exhaust configuration. I didn't change the direction of any of my case fans. Even in this configuration, it did drop my temps. You can see how the rad and hoses are right up against the top fan, and the third port on the radiator that conflicts with the NB heatsink. A slightly different case might not have any issues with this location, and I don't think there are many boards with a huge passive NB sink like the Classified's.

I plan to switch the front fan on the top to exhaust and change the ECO to intake. This should pull in cool outside air for the CPU, while still exhausting the heat pretty much immediately out the top. My only concerns with that setup are that the two intakes front (drive bays) and back might fight each other a bit, and the two video cards exhausting out the back might cause some heat to get pulled back in by the ECO. Once I get some time to switch things around, I'll post those results too.

Last night I got my case fan switched to exhaust and my ECO switched to intake. I saved a report from OHM right before I shut down so I could compare temps easily. I checked the numbers this morning, but it felt a bit cooler in here so I wanted to wait until tonight to make sure there weren't any ambient-related differences. Both this morning and now, the wall thermometer reads 0.2°F cooler than last night.

Last night
CPU : 48
VReg : 62
System : 50
Core #1 : 63
Core #2 : 59
Core #3 : 63
Core #4 : 61

This morning
CPU : 42
VReg : 58
System : 32
Core #1 : 57
Core #2 : 53
Core #3 : 57
Core #4 : 55

This evening
CPU : 43
VReg : 57
System : 32
Core #1 : 57
Core #2 : 54
Core #3 : 58
Core #4 : 55

The temps this morning and now (after almost 24 hours of folding/crunching on CPU and GPUs) seem to match up, so I'd say those are pretty stable numbers. The CPU and core drops of 5-6°C match up to each other and what other people have stated they gained by switching to intake. The VReg dropping a few degrees seems logical since it's no longer being cooled by hot air straight off the CPU cooler. The System temp dropping 18°C is just crazy. I have two readings at each temp, so I believe the numbers, I just don't know that they're a good representation of my case temps. I assume the sensor is now right in the airflow of an intake fan or something.

I did make one other change at the same time - I swapped out my PhysX card. I took out my GTX285 with the stock dual-slot cooler and replaced it with my 9800GT with an Accelero. I'm sure the 9800GT generates less heat, but it's also staying completely inside the case too. I took the 285 out to sell it, but I'm hoping to swap with my friend's 275 for a bit to do some benchmarking. Even if I don't put the 285 back in, I'll doublecheck with the 275 to make sure the PhysX card isn't causing any major CPU temp differences.

how is it working for you? I may purchase one from frys if its going well.

any updates that you may share with us?

1. What cpu are you using?
2. What is the clock speed you have it OCed at?
3. What is the voltage setting?
4. What were your previous temps on air cooling?
5. What are your temps under load with this cooler?
6. Can you pass the OCCT cpu killer test, ie Linpack? What temps do you get then?

Half of those questions were answered in the original post.
With my S1283V, I was seeing CPU (166x20, auto voltage, HT and Turbo on) temps in the upper 60's, like 68-70°C. After removing it, I can see that it did have some dust accumulation on the fins - it could stand to be cleaned, but wasn't packed full of crud or anything. Stock fan with the stock PWM control. After switching to the ECO in the default exhaust setup, I'm now seeing temps in the low 60's. It feels a bit cooler in the house today, so the ambient may be a bit lower (the wall thermometer says 68°F). I'm now seeing 61-63°C, though I think it was more like 63-65°C last night right after the measurements on the S1283V and the swap.

This isn't meant to be a super-scientific test, but it is controlled enough to say that my temps have dropped a good 3-5°C, possibly as much as 8-9°C. The CPU has been at 100% with dnetc for about 20 hours, so I'm pretty confident that the temp is stable here.

Auto voltage on the 920 because I'm lazy (I think it was showing 1.25v - 1.28v). It doesn't crash with the CPU and GPUs loaded to 100% 24x7 with dnetc/F@H, which has historically been within a few degrees of any OC test apps I've run. I'll try to run the CPU killer test sometime.

how is it working for you? I may purchase one from frys if its going well.

any updates that you may share with us?

It's basically exactly the same as it was. I'd say it's a pretty good cooler, at a pretty good price, that avoids the typical clutter around your CPU socket. I think the biggest question is at what point it falls off too much. It does ok for me at 3.5GHz. Up above 4GHz though, it might not be able to handle that much heat. I don't really have the means to test that out. If you're looking for the best of the best, this may not be it, but overall I'm very happy with it.

I was expecting a "CPU killer" preset option or something, but didn't see one.

ECO_OCCT.png

If that's not what you're looking for, let me know.

For comparison, here's what it looks like 24x7 with dnetc/F@H. OCCT's displayed temps seem to be consistently lower than OHM's.

ECO_DC.png
ECO_OCCT_DC.png

Thanks. Those temps look pretty impressive for 100% load. I wonder how it would perform once you get into 4Ghz neighborhood though?

Dead thread revival service!

Just for future reference, I thought I'd make a final post here. After 4.5 years of running nearly 24x7 (with times of running dnetc, folding, and BitCoin mining with multiple GPUs), the ECO is finally crapping out on me. It seems the pump is starting to go - tapping on it will sometimes make it start, but not always. Without the pump, the CPU temps shoot up and it throttles itself, locking up fairly quickly. Nothing surprising there.

I guess I'm getting old, as I'm not into OCing and tweaking as much these days. The ECO served me well for quite a long time and I was in a hurry to get my system up and running again (I'm not sure what happened to the fan mounts for my S1283V). I found the Corsair H60 (the updated 2013 version) pretty cheap on Amazon and Primed away.

I'm expecting similar performance since they're pretty similar coolers. The H60 happens to address a couple of the minor issues I had with the ECO. The radiator doesn't have that extra nub, so it fits with the hoses at the bottom. The pump's power cable is a few inches longer, so I was able to mount it right side up. That routes the hoses over the NB heatsink and RAM slots rather than up near the exhaust fans.

Last edited:
Back