Got my BFG 6800GT and I could NOT be happier

Maby I can be all happy like all you happy people when I get my 6800GT then I can play Unreal Tournament 2K4 on Max details, Oh GOODIE ;) ;) ;)

uclajd said:
Go play Doom 3, then tell me that. :D

Disclaimer: I am not an Nvidia fan boy. I'd buy a card made by al Qaeda if it were the fastest.

heheheh, nice one.

I'm in the same camp myself.. I've preferred ATI's cards, but I think NVidia may have done a better job this time around. I'm sure it'll swing back and forth for the next little while...

About the reference vs. custom cooler on the BFG card. I sent and e-mail:

Jay

hello. The cooling solution is the same in regards to the heat it puts off.
the duel and single fans are very close to each other in the amount of noise
you can hear from them . Almost all of the card out their now are the duel
fans bfg design . The singel was for the launch and made by NVIDIA.
mike g
bfg email
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 3:01 PM
Subject: 6800GT OC dual-fan question

> Hello
> I'm planning to purchase a BFG 6800GT OC very, very soon. However, I
have some concerns about the dual-fan custom heatsink. I've heard rumours
that they run warmer than the stock fan, but also more quietly. I was
wondering if you could possibly supply some stats for me that'll clear the
matter up once and for all. If possible, do you have information camparing
the stock and custom heatsinks in terms of:
>
> 1. The noise rating of the fan(s)
> 2. The cfm rating of the fan(s)
> 3. The typical differences in heat
>
> I'm not so concerned about the heat, since I'm not planning on
overclocking. I certainly couldn't care less about the blue lighting (but
I'm sure modders love it). I would be very pleased however, if the two
smaller fans somehow (against all logic) ran more quietly than the stock
version. Since my computer is so quiet already, I would certainly welcome a
quiet cooling solution.

Not overly helpful... but I wasn't expecting too much anyway. Just thought I'd share.

Wow.. I forgot how hard that e-mail was to read. I assumed BFG was an american company; but the guy who wrote that e-mail seemed to be struggling with the language.

Hey congrats on your card. :) It's great to install a brand new shiny kick-ass video card.

- D.

So I can basically keep all my config settings default and add the autoexec.cfg with the 2 lines and it shouldnt do this crap to me? Im getting tired of this poor performance.

Sanitard said:
heheheh, nice one.

I'm in the same camp myself.. I've preferred ATI's cards, but I think NVidia may have done a better job this time around. I'm sure it'll swing back and forth for the next little while...

About the reference vs. custom cooler on the BFG card. I sent and e-mail:

Jay

hello. The cooling solution is the same in regards to the heat it puts off.
the duel and single fans are very close to each other in the amount of noise
you can hear from them . Almost all of the card out their now are the duel
fans bfg design . The singel was for the launch and made by NVIDIA.
mike g
bfg email
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 3:01 PM
Subject: 6800GT OC dual-fan question

> Hello
> I'm planning to purchase a BFG 6800GT OC very, very soon. However, I
have some concerns about the dual-fan custom heatsink. I've heard rumours
that they run warmer than the stock fan, but also more quietly. I was
wondering if you could possibly supply some stats for me that'll clear the
matter up once and for all. If possible, do you have information camparing
the stock and custom heatsinks in terms of:
>
> 1. The noise rating of the fan(s)
> 2. The cfm rating of the fan(s)
> 3. The typical differences in heat
>
> I'm not so concerned about the heat, since I'm not planning on
overclocking. I certainly couldn't care less about the blue lighting (but
I'm sure modders love it). I would be very pleased however, if the two
smaller fans somehow (against all logic) ran more quietly than the stock
version. Since my computer is so quiet already, I would certainly welcome a
quiet cooling solution.

Not overly helpful... but I wasn't expecting too much anyway. Just thought I'd share.
I don't know who he got that message from (although it looks suspiciously as if it were written by a 9-year old). I don't think that BFG employs 9-year olds; last time I checked.

Now that I've taken time to read the message you wrote; the grammar level and writing style suspiciously coincides with that of the reply. I don't beleive in coincidence.

Either way; we all know that the reference cooling solution for the GT cards is inadequate. It's functional; with no short-term ill effects on the cards; it seems but it doesn't dissipate heat nearly fast enough; so that results in increased ambient case temps. I imagine the BFG's solution is somewhat similar, it was tested and tried for 5900NU and 5950U cards and was acceptable. If neither statisfies you; or you're one of those people who would never use a stock cooling solution no matter how good it was (I'm one of them :D); then perhaps you could invest some money in aftermarket cooling. Watercooling; a better heatsink; an evaporator to hook up to your phase change loop; whatever your thing is.

Darth_Fluffy said:
we all know that the reference cooling solution for the GT cards is inadequate. It's functional; with no short-term ill effects on the cards; it seems but it doesn't dissipate heat nearly fast enough;
Indeed. I am getting a waterblock for mine, but I need a bigger raddy first.

I notice the temp creeps up slowly, so what you think is a stable overclock becomes unstable as card and ambient temps rise. Definitely a weenie cooling setup.

A nice Danger Den block will fix that though. :D

What's a known, safe OC for the dual fan unit? I doubt I"ll ever OC it but it'd be nice to know.

The PNY's are overclocking better.

Mine does 420/1180 stable. It did better, but I got a shittier power supply now and my 5v line is 4.93 true volts.

I get 55 average FPS in far cry with full everything 1600x1200.

UltimateMan said:
i know that i can safely OC my BFG 6800 GT OC with dual fans to 400/1100 without problems.

What are your idle and load temps?

I too have a BFG 6800GT OC with dual fans and LEDs and I'm getting 66c idle (48c ambient) and 91c load (65c ambient) at stock speeds. I wanted to oc to ultra speeds but I'm a bit discouraged after seeing my temps :(

That's strange; I've seen many people going well past stock Ultra speeds on their BFG GT's. Maybe you're doing something wrong??

Darth_Fluffy said:
That's strange; I've seen many people going well past stock Ultra speeds on their BFG GT's. Maybe you're doing something wrong??

Problem is I'm not doing anything, and therefore nowhere to go wrong since everything in my computer, vid card included, is running at stock. I have yet to attempt ocing my BFG past stock, so whether or not it makes it to ultra speeds has yet to be seen. My dilemma is whether I should overclock at all given my temps.

There won't be any bad short term effects (as you're not raising the voltage; only the frequency). However, overclocking without adequate cooling might limit your card's life to say, 3 months instead of.. 6 years? I'd go for an aftermarket cooling solution either way. The nvSilencer seems promising, and better yet-- it delivers!

Darth_Fluffy said:
There's an nvSilencer for it.. it's a vgaSilencer designed to mount on the 6800x cards. It's about 20 degrees better than the reference on GT, so that's pretty good. Costs over $50 though.

the only place i have seen with that price is newegg. most others have a more reasonable price, i got mine for $30 shipped.

Darth_Fluffy said:
........... I'd go for an aftermarket cooling solution either way. The nvSilencer seems promising, and better yet-- it delivers!
Exactly what I was thinking, although....
maxxo said:
the only place i have seen with that price is newegg. most others have a more reasonable price, i got mine for $30 shipped.
Where can I find it at that price and in stock?

prizm said:
Exactly what I was thinking, although....

Where can I find it at that price and in stock?

Go to best buy's site and search for availablity by store near you. The stores listed in bold should have it in stock, but call first to make sure. Also make sure they reserve it for you. I reserved mine, thankfully, because it was only 1 of 2 and by the time I got there the other one had sold :).

Also, to speak of the card's OC ability, I was able to successfuly get mine to 430/1150. The stock GT is 350/1000, BFG's Gt is 370/1000, stock Ultra is 400/1100 and BFG's Ultra is 425/1100, so all in all I'm happy :). It should be noted, though, that after testing and ensuring the stability of the overclock, I reverted back to the stock settings as I was already hitting max Doom 3 frames prior so I really didn't see much perforamnce increase. It's still good to know I can get it up that high if I wanted.

i called BB stores "near" me after typing in my zip on the website. one of them said they had the bfg 6800gt oc and would hold it...after driving an hour and a half i get there only to discover that it was the 6800 vanilla. needless to say i was incredibly pissed at wasting over 3 hrs on a work day and the gas money to NOT get what i was told they had. the assholes wouldn't/couldn't even offer to ship it to me minus the shipping charges whenever they had it in stock. it was either have it shipped to a store and have to drive there and not pay shipping, or ship to my house and pay shipping. i am extremely upset at that BS and will NEVER offer to spend my hard earned money at that rathole again.

cyberslag5k said:
Go to best buy's site and search for availablity by store near you. The stores listed in bold should have it in stock, but call first to make sure. Also make sure they reserve it for you. I reserved mine, thankfully, because it was only 1 of 2 and by the time I got there the other one had sold :).

Also, to speak of the card's OC ability, I was able to successfuly get mine to 430/1150. The stock GT is 350/1000, BFG's Gt is 370/1000, stock Ultra is 400/1100 and BFG's Ultra is 425/1100, so all in all I'm happy :). It should be noted, though, that after testing and ensuring the stability of the overclock, I reverted back to the stock settings as I was already hitting max Doom 3 frames prior so I really didn't see much perforamnce increase. It's still good to know I can get it up that high if I wanted.

I think you misunderstood. I already have a BFG and now I'm looking for an nv silencer for it at msrp, not the $55 newegg wants to charge for it. :eek:

Becoming said:
i called BB stores "near" me after typing in my zip on the website. one of them said they had the bfg 6800gt oc and would hold it...after driving an hour and a half i get there only to discover that it was the 6800 vanilla. needless to say i was incredibly pissed at wasting over 3 hrs on a work day and the gas money to NOT get what i was told they had. the assholes wouldn't/couldn't even offer to ship it to me minus the shipping charges whenever they had it in stock. it was either have it shipped to a store and have to drive there and not pay shipping, or ship to my house and pay shipping. i am extremely upset at that BS and will NEVER offer to spend my hard earned money at that rathole again.

Ouch. Yeah you have to make sure when dealing with retail sales reps. Most of them have no clue what they're talking about so I walk them through it 2 or 3 times.

Better luck next time!

Becoming said:

That's horrible. F'ing morons.

The silencer is surprisingly similar to the reference design. Only it blows hot air out of the case, instead of towards your CPU :D. Otherwise, it's hard to say who ripped off who'se idea ;)

prizm said:

I too have a BFG 6800GT OC with dual fans and LEDs and I'm getting 66c idle (48c ambient) and 91c load (65c ambient) at stock speeds. I wanted to oc to ultra speeds but I'm a bit discouraged after seeing my temps :(

idle - 58 C
load- roughly 76-82 C

prizm said:

Either you don't have adequate ventilation in your computer case, or the room temp of where your computer is, is higher than usual.

Badger_sly said:
Either you don't have adequate ventilation in your computer case, or the room temp of where your computer is, is higher than usual.

Yeah, I'm thinking my computer case is at fault but it wouldn't surpise me since it's pretty cramped with wires and ide cables. It is a Dell 400sc btw and quite small for the amount of hardware I've stashed in it. I placed an order for the nv silencer and hopefully my situation will improve once installed.

prizm said:
Yeah, I'm thinking my computer case is at fault but it wouldn't surpise me since it's pretty cramped with wires and ide cables. It is a Dell 400sc btw and quite small for the amount of hardware I've stashed in it. I placed an order for the nv silencer and hopefully my situation will improve once installed.

If the heat is staying trapped in that Dell case, which is exactly what it sounds like from your description, then installing an nv silencer isn't going to do a thing. You'll just be pushing more of the same temperature air onto the card.

Your best solution is to transport the guts of your system to a larger case with more intake and exhaust fans. The easiest semi-fix would be to replace the ribbon cables with the shortest possible round cables, and add fans even by modding if you have to.

Badger_sly said:
If the heat is staying trapped in that Dell case, which is exactly what it sounds like from your description, then installing an nv silencer isn't going to do a thing. You'll just be pushing more of the same temperature air onto the card.

Your best solution is to transport the guts of your system to a larger case with more intake and exhaust fans. The easiest semi-fix would be to replace the ribbon cables with the shortest possible round cables, and add fans even by modding if you have to.
I think I will replace the ribbon cables for round ones and might add additional fans depending on how much of a difference the silencer will make. Transferring the innards is out of the question, however, since the motherboard doesn't conform to the atx standard.

Cut a big hole in the side and put on a 12cm fan over the video card.

Back