Got my beyerdynamic mmx300, but...where's the bass?

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd
I have these headsets plugged into a creative labs X-fi / Astro mixamp.

Hmm, well these headphones sound absolutely wonderful (compared to my astro a40's) for music (I don't know how to really test mids, though the mids are better too), but aren't these supposed to have deep bass (since they are based on the DT 770's, which are supposed to be bass monsters?).

The astros seem to have *deeper* or heavier bass than the MMX300, although not as clean, but everything with the A40 seems more muddied and subdued, while the beyers sound very clean, especially on the highs; rivaling my Klipsch Promedia 5.1's (or even exceeding them).

But this doesn't make sense...the astros are known for "lack" of bass, so how do they seem to be hitting the lows (although "muddier") heavier? Aren't the MMX300's bass monsters too? Or am I looking for the "wrong" thing in bass?

I *will* say this:
The Beyers have a LOT more "Kick" in the drum sounds, like I'm actually hearing real drums, while the astros sound "flat" in the same music sample.

Anyway, am I supposed to keep the bass slider for the windows volume panel at medium, or am I supposed to slide it over to the right? What is the "normal" setting?

(this is my first time using an audiophile headset, btw, so I really don't know what to look for here).

Also, the MMX300 has a 32 ohm impedence, so would they benefit from a cmoy 2.02 "altoids case" headphone amp? Or are those only for 80-300 ohm headsets?

Those are 96 dB so yes even at 32ohm if you want good bass the headphone amp will make them sound a lot fuller.

Dont forget to burn them in either!!!

Headphones wont really pop until theyve been used for at least 40 hours or so...gotta give the drivers time to loosen up and what not.

Leave them playing non stop for a couple days 24 hours a day at louder that bearable volumes...see how they sound after a couple days!

Back