Got my A5's today.

Sorry to hijack but this is relevant as the topic is about A5 SQ.

My left speaker is in a corner. No where else for it to go. Both are 6" from the back wall but the left speaker has about 12" from the left wall. Will this cause and rebounding issues that could alter what I'm hearing?

Also, I had bought an "audiophile grade" sound card as advertised. It's the Audiotrak Prodigy HiFi 7.1 I have some issues with interference. It's supposed to have an EM filter over it but during heavy cpu usage and file transfer, static and sound distortion occur in random spurts. Mine are hooked up through the breakout cable. Anyone have similar symptoms and know why distortion is occuring?? Faulty soundcard? Any suggested sound cards that are "better"?

[reference guide - google prodigy hifi 7.1 manual and it's the first pdf]
Also, if you look at the little diagram on page 5 of the above mentioned pdf, you'll see the connections possible on my card. I'm using the break out cable with a stereo miniplug line on #6 to my stereo input on the A5. When I get a sub.. [Premier Acousitc PA-120] how should I hook it up? I thought I read somewhere on an A5 thread that I SHOULD NOT use the rca out from the A5 to the sub's line in for some reason. If that's true.. which connector should I use? My first guess would be #4, the Center/Woofer out?

Hmm. I've used the A5s with both my Xonar STX which does have an EMI shield and the Auzen Forte which is completely unshielded. Both cards were in my first PCI-e slot, right next to one of my GTX 260s and I can't say I've noticed any interference or distortion with either card. Can you try another slot or are you forced to use the one it's in?

bencho, static can be caused by a number of things, but a defective sound card can be one of them. See if they do the same thing hooked up without the card or a different sound card. If they don't then you know you have to RMA the card. If they do, then you can try double shielded cable instead.

In terms of the sub, if your soundcard can handle the cutoff and whatnot on its own I'd say to try that before hooking up to the speakers directly. The soundcard is designed to manage multiple speakers in a surround setup, whereas the sub isn't really designed to handle it properly. Setting the cutoff to where you set it in your receiver or soundcard is important, but the difference is that if your receiver or soundcard does the cutoff, then it's only sending sound around/below the cutoff to the sub so you should get better bass response.

Ugh.. don't have another Sound card to test it. Might have to do just plain old drivers for onboard.

So... I should leave the A5's attached to the break out cable via stereo miniplug... and the sub attaches to which port?? Not sure if sound card has crossover settings. I'll have to play with it. Would there be any problems if I just line out from A5 to line in on sub, and just set crossover to like 150hz?

Would there be any problems if I just line out from A5 to line in on sub, and just set crossover to like 150hz?

I might have misunderstood you, but...

If you use the line-out on the back of the A5's the crossover affects both.

Ugh.. don't have another Sound card to test it. Might have to do just plain old drivers for onboard.

So... I should leave the A5's attached to the break out cable via stereo miniplug... and the sub attaches to which port?? Not sure if sound card has crossover settings. I'll have to play with it. Would there be any problems if I just line out from A5 to line in on sub, and just set crossover to like 150hz?

Yeah, hooking up to onboard should be fine to test.

You don't want to hook it up the sub to the back of the A5 because the A5 is not a receiver and neither is the sub, however a good soundcard is designed to do very similar things to a receiver and should provide you with overall better sound, though you may have to tweak the settings to get it right (just like with a receiver).

Ok... I'll give it a shot when I can.

So... am i missing the answer or has no one told me which port to use for the sub?

Switched pci slots. still get occasional distortion for like half a second in random intervals.

Have you muted every input, especially CD audio? These inputs are often what pickup the interference.

Everything is muted. Switched PCI slots. Everything looks clean to me.

Now an even more annoying thing... every time I IM someone on AIM, you have that IMSEND sound. It crackles at the end of it EVERY SINGLE time :( faulty card??

noticed that when music is playing, like the speakers are receiving signal constantly, there is no crackling at the end of IMs
FML or what?

Last edited:
Back