Got my 7700k to 5Ghz

Kelter

Limp Gawd
So I am working from home today sitting next to my gaming rig and I figured I might as well try a quick OC. Went to the bios on the Gigabyte z270x gaming 7 and selected CPU upgrade to i7-7700k 5Ghz, and rebooted:
http://valid.x86.fr/ip5l2b

Haven't stress tested it, just played a round of Overwatch and so far so good. I'm sure there's a lot more to fine tune the overclock, but it's been a few years since I've overclocked, so just a basic go at it. Using a Liquid Freezer 120 since it got great reviews here.. seems to be ok. Kind of tempted to delid and see what I can get. Don't really want to mess with the vcore just yet.

I tried 5.1Ghz, but it didn't seem to like it... yet.

Haven't really pushed it, but so far about 84C. Thinking if I delid, maybe that will drop down to 75 or so.. then I can play with the voltage a bit. Also can probably go with a liquid freezer 240 or 360 which should fit in my case.. didn't think it would look right which is why I stuck with the 120, but now that I have everything set up the larger ones should work ok.

Also kinda getting the itch to try out full on water cooling.. any tips? Pretty much a n00b when it comes to water cooling, but sounds like EK? Blocks are the way to go?

Run the latest version of Prime 95 on the Small FFTs and report your temps please.

Also kinda getting the itch to try out full on water cooling.. any tips? Pretty much a n00b when it comes to water cooling, but sounds like EK? Blocks are the way to go?
PRO TIP: Fatten your wallet first! A basic CPU only loop will run you around $250-$300. Add a GPU, chipset block, ram block, fancy fittings, hard tubing, nice reservoirs, etc and costs can easily skyrocket to $700 or more (way more!). Custom water cooling is way fun, but can be chingo expensive.

EDIT: Grats on getting to 5GHz!!! Keep us posted on how it goes.

EDIT 2: UPDATE YOUR SIG! ;)

PRO TIP: Fatten your wallet first! A basic CPU only loop will run you around $250-$300. Add a GPU, chipset block, ram block, fancy fittings, hard tubing, nice reservoirs, etc and costs can easily skyrocket to $700 or more (way more!). Custom water cooling is way fun, but can be chingo expensive.

But it's worth pointing out that virtually everything aside from full coverage GPU waterblocks last a very long time if not indefinitely. My watercooling loop is a little over 12 years old and the only parts I needed to change was the D5 pump (died at the 9 year mark) and a new mounting plate for the CPU waterblock to make it compatible with current sockets (~$10 in cost). Furthermore, I haven't heard of anyone installing chipset and RAM blocks in years. I didn't know those was still used for anything outside of epeen extension.

Been running a prime95 for about 20 min.
Capture.PNG

Temps definitely running high.. more reason to delid maybe.. although seems to cap around 100C... so maybe it's throttling? Dunno.

Ya, I went to EKWB site yesterday.. custom loop was around $600 for CPU and GPU... could do that or maybe upgrade my monitor to an x34 or wait for one of the newer gaming monitors... sadly all this for a system I rarely use... but I still try to consider myself a gamer.. lol.

Congrats on your overclock !!!

Ok now for tips
Roctkit + relid Kit $46.00
240 /280 AIO or Noctua D15- 2 fan heatsink
Don't use P95 w/AVX
Use RealBench 2.43 (does not produce insane temps and 2-4hr run should suffice )
Bought 2 chips and both run 5.2 MHZ using less than 1.35 volts (one will be sold at the end of testing maybe 1-2 days more testing.

Reactions: sram
like this
But it's worth pointing out that virtually everything aside from full coverage GPU waterblocks last a very long time if not indefinitely. My watercooling loop is a little over 12 years old and the only parts I needed to change was the D5 pump (died at the 9 year mark) and a new mounting plate for the CPU waterblock to make it compatible with current sockets (~$10 in cost). Furthermore, I haven't heard of anyone installing chipset and RAM blocks in years. I didn't know those was still used for anything outside of epeen extension.
This is true - most of the core components can be reused other than the GPU block. Wish there was a standard there but that is not likely to ever happen! My first foray into watercooling I went whole-hog and did the CPU, GPU, North bridge, South bridge (that shows how long ago it was), and VRMs, all on 6mm tubing and the original Exos system. After a while I realized that there was no real benefit to putting anything other than the CPU and GPU under water. Well, maybe a little benefit with the VRMs but that tends to be less re-useable than I would like. But yes, once you've made the initial expenditure for a complete custom loop, future upgrades can be fairly inexpensive.

Ya, I went to EKWB site yesterday.. custom loop was around $600 for CPU and GPU... could do that or maybe upgrade my monitor to an x34 or wait for one of the newer gaming monitors... sadly all this for a system I rarely use... but I still try to consider myself a gamer.. lol.
TBH, if you rarely use the system I would not go water. It's a lot of money to spend if you seldom use it. I would probably spend it on the monitor instead. Unless you have money to burn in which case I could use a donation of a GTX 1080! :D

Been running a prime95 for about 20 min.
View attachment 18132

Temps definitely running high.. more reason to delid maybe.. although seems to cap around 100C... so maybe it's throttling? Dunno.

You picture tells you its throttling in multiple ways.
1: 0 temp delta to throttle treshold
2: thermal status HOT ( its throtling right now)
3: Thermal status log ( it has been thermal throttled at some point since system start up)

Recommendations to not run prime95 is like recommending ignoring you seat belt is not working because you never really drive that fast.
In everyday you you might never need it. but taking the extra step is a matter of security against a crash.
You are bassically just accepting you system is unstable but not enough to annoy you. Which can be fine for some people.

If you haven't delidded your CPU yet, then you're going to get some impressive overclocks with that chip! Congrats dude!

This is true - most of the core components can be reused other than the GPU block. Wish there was a standard there but that is not likely to ever happen! My first foray into watercooling I went whole-hog and did the CPU, GPU, North bridge, South bridge (that shows how long ago it was), and VRMs, all on 6mm tubing and the original Exos system. After a while I realized that there was no real benefit to putting anything other than the CPU and GPU under water. Well, maybe a little benefit with the VRMs but that tends to be less re-useable than I would like. But yes, once you've made the initial expenditure for a complete custom loop, future upgrades can be fairly inexpensive.

It's easy to find a reusable GPU waterblock that works on just about all makes/models of cards and will probably continue to fit for another decade or so provided you can either buy a mounting adapter or put together your own collection of hardware to make it work. I used to do that with my old Maze4 block but I stupidly sold it years ago to an acquaintance for $20. The problem now is that you have to come up with a separate solution to cool the RAM and MOSFETs.

Like Red said - I wouldn't bother installing a custom watercooling loop unless you use the system a lot or the lack of noise is really important to you, UNLESS you can find a good price on some used parts (check the FS/T forum).

Back