Got my 260GTX back From Viper John

well people are going to have opinions no matter what so you knew those types of comments were bound to happen. sure this is an hardware forum but in this forum most people try to see how much bang for buck they can get. if honestly asked most people would never spend that kind of money for such a small increase in performance. you have to accept that people will think you are crazy for spending that kind of money for very little in return. ;)

You can't explain your way out of being obvious, but you could just apologize and accept it.

This is NOT about money, get it??? (stating the obvious is just rude...........Geez, you spent how much.............son-of-a-bitch, man; you could have bought eleventy-seven of these............damn.)

Just leave the man to his business, at least he saw it coming.:D

You can't explain your way out of being obvious, but you could just apologize and accept it.

This is NOT about money, get it??? (stating the obvious is just rude...........Geez, you spent how much.............son-of-a-bitch, man; you could have bought eleventy-seven of these............damn.)

Just leave the man to his business, at least he saw it coming.:D
apologize for what? I was just explaining to him that no matter what he says plenty of people will think he is crazy and/or wasted his money. he posted this in a public forum so of course what he saw coming was bound to happen.

apologize for what? I was just explaining to him that no matter what he says plenty of people will think he is crazy and/or wasted his money. he posted this in a public forum so of course what he saw coming was bound to happen.

You have anything you really,really love??? No matter what it cost??? It was just so special to you, you had to have it; and to this day, you still feel that way???

Ever have one of your friends come up to you and look at that one thing...........and go:

Jeeeezus, WTF did you spend that much...........shit man, what were you thinking......you must be crazy, or stupid.

Thats what.

What was "bound to happen" didn't have to happen at all. Public forum is not synonymous with forum full of ..............(you fill in the blank).:D

Your right, he was wrong to assume that everyone isn't an asshole.

Your right, he was wrong to assume that everyone isn't an asshole.

You have anything you really,really love??? No matter what it cost??? It was just so special to you, you had to have it; and to this day, you still feel that way???

Ever have one of your friends come up to you and look at that one thing...........and go:

Jeeeezus, WTF did you spend that much...........shit man, what were you thinking......you must be crazy, or stupid.

Thats what.

What was "bound to happen" didn't have to happen at all. Public forum is not synonymous with forum full of ..............(you fill in the blank).:D
welcome to the REAL world where people have opinions whether you or me like them or not. spend $300 upgrading a sub $300 video card and plenty of people are going to think something is wrong with you. I really dont care but the people that have a prob with it and voiced their opinions are no more assholes than the op is crazy for doing this in the first place. ;)

honestly... I would understand if the OP modded the card himself, because we are enthusiasts after all, and the whole reason we do what we do is because we put these things together and modded them in our own way...

giving 300 bucks to some guy to hack up the card just seems like a cop out.... either way, its not something YOU did.... its just you spending an extra 300 in the end....

a true [H] enthusiast would have volt modded the card himself. paying someone else 300 bucks isn't [H] at all.... whats the difference anyway? paying viperjoe 300 bucks (mod your card, get something faster back) or paying nvidia engineers 300 bucks (entirely new, superior video card). either way, you blow 300 bucks for a faster video card without actually making it faster yourself.

lame

and yea.... this is an internet technology forum.... people can express their opinions, good and bad... if you dont want people to crap all over your (retarded) purchase, dont post in the first place.... because people *will* discuss, and not *all* discussion will be positive....

honestly... I would understand if the OP modded the card himself, because we are enthusiasts after all, and the whole reason we do what we do is because we put these things together and modded them in our own way...

giving 300 bucks to some guy to hack up the card just seems like a cop out.... either way, its not something YOU did.... its just you spending an extra 300 in the end....

a true [H] enthusiast would have volt modded the card himself. paying someone else 300 bucks isn't [H] at all.... whats the difference anyway? paying viperjoe 300 bucks (mod your card, get something faster back) or paying nvidia engineers 300 bucks (entirely new, superior video card). either way, you blow 300 bucks for a faster video card without actually making it faster yourself.

lame

and yea.... this is an internet technology forum.... people can express their opinions, good and bad... if you dont want people to crap all over your (retarded) purchase, dont post in the first place.... because people *will* discuss, and not *all* discussion will be positive....

that post just made my day.
You are the man BRUCE!!!

lame

Notice how he didn't ask for your opinion? When rebuilding my '69 Camaro I sent the engine out to be rebored, have the heads clipped, and basically have the entire engine rebuilt because I didn't have the expertise nor the tools to do it. Does it make the car any slower that I didn't do it nor does it look any worse? Grow the hell up and quit your crying. He's already got water cooling, and that's a hell of a lot more "[H]/hard/omfgpwnage" than 90% of this forum. I can understand his apprehension in posting because he already knew the cry babies would come out of the wood work and try to downplay his purchase.

I for one enjoy seeing quality craftsmanship. Just because of this thread I checked out Viper John's site because I wanted to see the work he does, and it is excellent. It gives me something to work towards in my own modding endeavors. Would I pay that much to have my card modded? No, and I'd rather do it myself. But I'm not knocking the OP for getting something that he wanted and being happy about his purchase. The lot of you that come in here with a stick up your ass need to grow up. Upset because you can't afford it? On some crusade about DIY? Want to share an unsolicited negative opinion? Shut the hell up, no one asked for it.

I for one enjoy seeing quality craftsmanship.

Alright I can not keep my mouth shut any longer. I gotta say by no means does that looks like "quality" work. It looks like someone taped some ram sinks on and screwed in a water block. There is simply nothing special going on there. The volt mod works I am sure, however that's not looking very professional or OEM either. It just looks like someone did it to get it over with. People just think this type of stuff it "quality" simply because someone else does the work for them.

Not only that, the way the whole card is bending down in the case looks like crap too. Look at the shoddy work on his website, take a note of the left screw holding in the extra fan, looks like he just held a drill saw in there to make the hole wider:

8800GT%20Front.jpg

People are just paying for something under the illusion that its being professionally done to OEM standards. There is no magical quality in these mods.

To each his own, sure a lot of what makes [H] [H] is doing it yourself. But I cannot deny VJ's work isn't [H].

Alright I can not keep my mouth shut any longer. I gotta say by no means does that looks like "quality" work. It looks like someone taped some ram sinks on and screwed in a water block. There is simply nothing special going on there. The volt mod works I am sure, however that's not looking very professional or OEM either. It just looks like someone did it to get it over with. People just think this type of stuff it "quality" simply because someone else does the work for them.

Not only that, the way the whole card is bending down in the case looks like crap too. Look at the shoddy work on his website, take a note of the left screw holding in the extra fan:

8800GT%20Front.jpg

I gotta say I agree. VJ knows his stuff, but for $300 bucks I would expect something a little snazzier. Perhaps I might have paid for the volt-mods ( no I wouldn't...not at all), but the block and the RAM sinks...with the fan just kinda tacked on there. Looks kinda cheezy...and cheap.

Notice how he didn't ask for your opinion? When rebuilding my '69 Camaro I sent the engine out to be rebored, have the heads clipped, and basically have the entire engine rebuilt because I didn't have the expertise nor the tools to do it. Does it make the car any slower that I didn't do it nor does it look any worse? Grow the hell up and quit your crying. He's already got water cooling, and that's a hell of a lot more "[H]/hard/omfgpwnage" than 90% of this forum. I can understand his apprehension in posting because he already knew the cry babies would come out of the wood work and try to downplay his purchase.

I for one enjoy seeing quality craftsmanship. Just because of this thread I checked out Viper John's site because I wanted to see the work he does, and it is excellent. It gives me something to work towards in my own modding endeavors. Would I pay that much to have my card modded? No, and I'd rather do it myself. But I'm not knocking the OP for getting something that he wanted and being happy about his purchase. The lot of you that come in here with a stick up your ass need to grow up. Upset because you can't afford it? On some crusade about DIY? Want to share an unsolicited negative opinion? Shut the hell up, no one asked for it.

meh, someone paying viperjoe to mod their hardware for them is just like someone paying alienware insane amounts of money to setup a 1337 high end system ... only they get way less value for the money..... and its even a worse hackjob ... and it has no warranty against failure ...

lol.... so wait, thats a bad analogy.....

once again if he didnt want people's opinions, he should have kept his purchase to himself, simple as that. seriously, it isn't against the rules to criticize things on this forum (and if it were, it would make for a pretty bland forum...)

seriously, people that get their feelings hurt so easy (like you, OP) are the reason why we have all this political correctness BS pervading society these days.... but I digress....

People are just paying for something under the illusion that its being professionally done to OEM standards. There is no magical quality in these mods.

QFT.... seriously.... it is easy to separate a fool from his money.....

this stuff is just nothing special.... and definitely not $300 bucks special.....

for that amount of money, the mod work should look much better, and he should be able to work some crazy voodoo magic and somehow add more SPs, texture units, etc to the core...

hmm.....

Not only that, the way the whole card is bending down in the case looks like crap too. Look at the shoddy work on his website, take a note of the left screw holding in the extra fan, looks like he just held a drill saw in there to make the hole wider:

People are just paying for something under the illusion that its being professionally done to OEM standards. There is no magical quality in these mods.[/QUOTE]
And you like sounding like you have no idea what you're talking about? Because right now it sounds like you haven't done a single mod ever.

Let's go over what the OP got for $300 -

Parts:
Custom water block
Heatsinks for RAM
Heatsinks for VRegs
Fan
Trimmer
Wiring

Labor:
Putting it all on
Soldering/Volt-modding
Testing the Voltmod and overclock
Flashing the BIOS
Anything else I can't see

That's a lot of time. Hell, buying a water block (never mind making one) would make that an entire weekend's work at the least, maybe more. The $300 is a hefty price, but you get a lot for it. Anyone who can't see that hasn't done the work a day in their life, or is so good that they wouldn't need this in the first place. For some reason when people see work done they think they should pay $10 and get a brand new card. People have no idea the kind of time and effort it takes to get a stable overclock and machine, nor the expertise that goes into it. It's kind of like when a surgeon charges $5,000 an hour and people complain about the price. They just have no clue how much time and effort goes into not only the procedure itself, but expertise to do it.
[quote="brucedeluxe169, post: 1033191231"]meh, someone paying viperjoe to mod their hardware for them is just like someone paying alienware insane amounts of money to setup a 1337 high end system ... only they get way less value for the money..... and its even a worse hackjob ... and it has no warranty against failure ...

lol.... so wait, thats a bad analogy.....

once again if he didnt want people's opinions, he should have kept his purchase to himself, simple as that. seriously, it isn't against the rules to criticize things on this forum (and if it were, it would make for a pretty bland forum...)

seriously, people that get their feelings hurt so easy (like you, OP) are the reason why we have all this political correctness BS pervading society these days.... but I digress....[/QUOTE]
You're right, that's a terrible analogy, you should probably think of one that's relative to the situation. People's opinions are fine, being an idiot isn't. Honestly, you and others come in here shooting your mouths off like a bunch of 12 year olds; learn to discuss things like an adult. Also, so he spent $300, ok, get over it. It's not for everyone. Others might be interested and a post like this will give them a lot of information and a personal experience. There's no feelings hurt, and I don't even understand where that came from, I'm saying grow up.

You're right, that's a terrible analogy, you should probably think of one that's relative to the situation. People's opinions are fine, being an idiot isn't. Honestly, you and others come in here shooting your mouths off like a bunch of 12 year olds; learn to discuss things like an adult. Also, so he spent $300, ok, get over it. It's not for everyone. Others might be interested and a post like this will give them a lot of information and a personal experience. There's no feelings hurt, and I don't even understand where that came from, I'm saying grow up.

how exactly is it not relative to the situation (aside from being a bit too nice to the mod and comparing it to something vastly superior)?

there are people that think paying so much money for such a crappy return is just.... retarded ... especially when way, way more impressive workmanship and even more amazing feats of technological innovation can be had for the money.

and yea, in the spirit of the [H], dont be surprised that there are many on this board that think this mod service is utterly stupid.... because it really isn't an impressive mod, at all...

how exactly is it not relative to the situation (aside from being a bit too nice to the mod and comparing it to something vastly superior)?

there are people that think paying so much money for such a crappy return is just.... retarded ... especially when way, way more impressive workmanship and even more amazing feats of technological innovation can be had for the money.

and yea, in the spirit of the [H], dont be surprised that there are many on this board that think this mod service is utterly stupid.... because it really isn't an impressive mod, at all...
Like I said, some of you haven't done the work a day in your life.

Like I said, some of you haven't done the work a day in your life.

lol (?)

the work? huh? wtf?

good job responding to my post though :rolleyes: at least I know you've run out of BS excuses and can happily retire to my bed for the night.

/thread

lol (?)

the work? huh? wtf?

good job responding to my post though :rolleyes: at least I know you've run out of BS excuses and can happily retire to my bed for the night.

/thread
And good job not even reading mine or way to fail at following logical progression. I had said that most of you posting about not thinking the work was great or wasn't worth the price hadn't done any real modding to know the difference. You proved the point.

And you like sounding like you have no idea what you're talking about? Because right now it sounds like you haven't done a single mod ever.

Let's go over what the OP got for $300 -

Parts:
Custom water block
Heatsinks for RAM
Heatsinks for VRegs
Fan
Trimmer
Wiring

Labor:
Putting it all on
Soldering/Volt-modding
Testing the Voltmod and overclock
Flashing the BIOS
Anything else I can't see

That's a lot of time. Hell, buying a water block (never mind making one) would make that an entire weekend's work at the least, maybe more. The $300 is a hefty price, but you get a lot for it. Anyone who can't see that hasn't done the work a day in their life, or is so good that they wouldn't need this in the first place. For some reason when people see work done they think they should pay $10 and get a brand new card. People have no idea the kind of time and effort it takes to get a stable overclock and machine, nor the expertise that goes into it. It's kind of like when a surgeon charges $5,000 an hour and people complain about the price. They just have no clue how much time and effort goes into not only the procedure itself, but expertise to do it.

What is really funny here is that I never mentioned the cost a single time anywhere in my post. Seems like you are the one hung up on the price.

What is really funny here is that I never mentioned the cost a single time anywhere in my post. Seems like you are the one hung up on the price.
Where did I say the summation was a direct response to you? And since when was price not a major factor of the discussion in this thread? What was the point of your post?

This thread is the second Google result for the search "Viper John" If I was Viper, I would be pissed that someone posted my work on a place like the [H] where it would be picked apart. Should have stuck with the Yahoo boards.

If the buyer is happy, then that should be all that matters. It's not like he got a bad product or was scammed. Higher end products that require greater levels patience and expertise to make should command a higher price. Yes, DIY is cheaper, but money isn't the factor for everyone.

Anyway I think the card looks great and probably runs great as well.

bad analogy inc:

ok so you bought an Audi A4. for $35k

for $70k total, you put a big turbo in it, nice front mounted intercooler, a wing, some blinging wheels so now it runs like an Audi S4 which costs like $58k

a stock BMW M3 (a far superior vehicle, in all aspects) costs around $67k

/facepalm

For $300 bucks, I would expect my card to look more like this:

Thats a nice card, but I still like mine better

GTX260216ShaderTop.jpg

8800GT%20Front.jpg

I just want to point out that the card you posted is not mine...we have no idea how much that mod was, so saying its not worth $300.00 is not fair ...

seriously, people that get their feelings hurt so easy (like you, OP) are the reason why we have all this political correctness BS pervading society these days.... but I digress....
I'm not sure why you think I got my feeling hurt,I honestly could care less what you think.

you have actually posted a few times now, and this is my first response to you. You are entitled to your opinion.
Just because you and I disagree, that does not mean you hurt my feelings.
I clearly posted my reasons and my expectations in the first post.
I actually doubt you even read the whole thread..
some people in this thread commented that they thought it was cool, but they would not spend the money for it..that's fine.
Others felt it necessary to insult me..that's just plain stupid and immature.\

others want to insult VJ's work. that's again, immature,
I would bet half these people calling his work "hack" have no clue as to how to do it, or even the skill to do it.

and just to further prove how some people cant even follow a thread, a picture from his website got posted on page 3...its not my card, nor one even like it... and half the responses are indicating how "that's not $300.00 worth of mods"...

This thread turned out just like the last one and that's a shame.
I had hoped maybe there was a bit more maturity here now, but sadly I was mistaken.

bad analogy inc:

ok so you bought an Audi A4. for $35k

for $70k total, you put a big turbo in it, nice front mounted intercooler, a wing, some blinging wheels so now it runs like an Audi S4 which costs like $58k

a stock BMW M3 (a far superior vehicle, in all aspects) costs around $67k

/facepalm

That's a lovely analogy.

That's a lovely analogy.

How about this................

maybe the guy didn't want a BMW, he wanted an Audi.

If it was me, a 2 door 1957 Chevrolet,with the biggest fucking motor I could find; but I digress.

This has turned into a pissing contest. A bunch of knuckleheads who just can't take something for what it is and enjoy it.............hell no........you don't like it so you whine about it............meh, go cry to your momma.

Way too many assholes in this thread. I wish the mods would smack some people around a bit. The [H] is not about critiquing how people spend their money and giving them shit because its not how YOU would do it.

And before you negative nancy's go on about how "this is the internet, expect differing opinions" keep in mind there's a difference between offering a dissenting opinion and crapping on someones thread. One is against the site rules and one isn't.

I didn't see many differing opinions offered in this thread, but a whole of thread crapping.

I think some people are forgetting that not everyone can do these mods themselves, and how much it might cost to hire someone to do something like this (since they're doing it themselves).. well now you know. Let it go.

Way too many assholes in this thread. I wish the mods would smack some people around a bit. The [H] is not about critiquing how people spend their money and giving them shit because its not how YOU would do it.

And before you negative nancy's go on about how "this is the internet, expect differing opinions" keep in mind there's a difference between offering a dissenting opinion and crapping on someones thread. One is against the site rules and one isn't.

I didn't see many differing opinions offered in this thread, but a whole of thread crapping.
If you are going to call them assholes then call the op an idiot for spending $300 to ghetto up his card. in other words neither would be very nice so just get over it. the op knew this would happen as he stated throughout the thread.

Bravo guys, well done. This thread is rapidly approaching epic. Anyone that feels the need to express there opinion more than once, or make more than one post regarding there opinion needs to find something better to do with their time.

Crosshairs wanted to do it, so he did it. Get over it.

If you are going to call them assholes then call the op an idiot for spending $300 to ghetto up his card. in other words neither would be very nice so just get over it. the op knew this would happen as he stated throughout the thread.
Because he knew there were going to be assholes doesn't mean he shouldn't share his new card with the community, that's ridiculous. How about those assholes shut up and don't thread crap? That would be novel.

Because he knew there were going to be assholes doesn't mean he shouldn't share his new card with the community, that's ridiculous. How about those assholes shut up and don't thread crap? That would be novel.

So true...

no where in my post did I say he shouldnt share. yes some people have been pretty rude but thats life. if I bought a V6 truck and spent thousands of dollars on it to make it a little faster when I could have just bought a still faster V8 to begin with then yes some people are going to ask wtf is wrong with me.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but if your radiator is at the top of your water loop, you should change that. Your reservoir should *always* be at the top of your loop, or else air bubbles will build up in your radiator rather than your reservoir, meaning you'll be getting less cooling performance + higher likelihood air will cycle through your water lines, creating problems.

Just a tip.

P.S. some people like honda civics kitted out with $30,000 worth of gear. So don't let the other people tell you what to do with YOUR money. As long as you like it that's all that matters. Just don't try to convince them to like it as well, otherwise you'll be in the same hot water that they're in.

Back