Got money burning a hole in yer pocket???

.....it'd probably be significantly cheaper to just take it to an actual auto body shop

.....it'd probably be significantly cheaper to just take it to an actual auto body shop

No kidding, most places would charge you about 100 bucks if you paid for materials.

I like this part the best: "clean and prep and then start a long time consuming process of sanding prep".....Would like to see them prep a full one ton custom ghost flamed and marbleized truck, now THAT'S time consuming.

Not to forget: "multiple grit sandings between each coat".....Really? For better chances of sand marks bleeding through? What a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Not to forget: "multiple grit sandings between each coat".....Really? For better chances of sand marks bleeding through? What a waste of time. :rolleyes:

I would love to see someone get there paint to shine like this without orange peel by skipping wet sanding in between coats

Besides the fact layer on top of layer with out sanding will end up peeling off

http://www.themodnation-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3046

Not that I can justify spending that amount of cash on a case

Here in NY real shops not macco or earl sheib charge $75 to $95 an hour plus materials

House of Kolors is far from cheap paint

Local hobby shops charge $7.50 for a 4oz glass jar

I would love to see someone get there paint to shine like this without orange peel by skipping wet sanding in between coats

Here in NY real shops not macco or earl sheib charge $75 to $95 an hour plus materials

It doesn't shine like that after painting, the case has been wet sanded and buffed, you are never going to get a super smooth finish even with sanding between the base coats, it's the clear you need to worry about, the ONLY way to get a slick finish is with a hard block and a buffer.

And no, paint will not peel off if you don't sand in between coats. As automotive paints are made of nonconvertible binders, and cure solely by the evaporation of the solvent in the vehicle, and since they do not cure like convertible coatings (through polymerization) they are easily resoluble in the original solvent used. Which is why the other coats adhere so well to each other and do not need further sanding if proper flash time is followed.

At my shop we use about all PPG and HOK, price is far from what you are going to pay at a hobby shop, though, as you said, it is not cheap, still not the reason for the price on the painting seeing as how little will be used.

I had a car painted in 1994 with HoK candied Raspberry, the whole damned car. The paint alone cost me almost 2 G's. :rolleyes:

One nice snowstorm a year later pissed that away.:(

I've gotta say, paint just isn't as cool as it once was. I'd say plating is the new pink.....but it costs me an arm and a leg to do since so few companies really do it (well). I've gotta keep researching different finishing methods to find something cheap for everyone.

Back