Got Lucky!

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
I have debated over whether I should get an 11" MBA for portability and power. I don't need to much power, just for some document creation, light photo editing, & web browsing. The price tag is steep so I considered a refurbished unit. I still wasn't happy with the price, but yesterday I found a deal that I couldn't pass up.

Best Buy had a cage full of open items. I was poking around, but none of the deals seemed enticing enough until I got to the bottom of the cage. There was a base 2012 11" MBA model for $698.

I was able to open the item (again) to look it over and it's flawless. This still isn't cheap but it was easier to justify. This will be my couch surfing / carry around work device. It fits perfect in my Retrospective 7 bag along with my camera. Thanks to the person who returned it, I appreciate the deal ;-)

If you can live with the smaller SSD, which for your use case should be fine, that is a hell of a deal. $300 off the entry level price does not come often for an Apple product. Good find!

If you can live with the smaller SSD, which for your use case should be fine, that is a hell of a deal. $300 off the entry level price does not come often for an Apple product. Good find!

That's what I told my wife, 30% off an Apple product is a sweet deal.

If storage is an issue I can pick up an OWC SSD, but like you said for my use-case this shouldn't be an issue. If I had replaced my MBP I would have waited for the refresh and opted for 8GB (16 if possible/cost effective), a faster proc, and minimum 256GB SSD.
I recently got a Drobo 5D that's got 8TB of configured storage so either way that's my primary storage unit. Another bummer about the 11" is the lack of SD card slot, but I have an eye-fi so it's not a huge issue.

in 2 years you will actually resell it for the price you paid !

nice!

The moral of this story is... Best Buy is still good for something I guess :D

I have debated over whether I should get an 11" MBA for portability and power. I don't need to much power, just for some document creation, light photo editing, & web browsing. The price tag is steep so I considered a refurbished unit. I still wasn't happy with the price, but yesterday I found a deal that I couldn't pass up.

Best Buy had a cage full of open items. I was poking around, but none of the deals seemed enticing enough until I got to the bottom of the cage. There was a base 2012 11" MBA model for $698.

I was able to open the item (again) to look it over and it's flawless. This still isn't cheap but it was easier to justify. This will be my couch surfing / carry around work device. It fits perfect in my Retrospective 7 bag along with my camera. Thanks to the person who returned it, I appreciate the deal ;-)

They're having an extra 10% off all open-box items this week - even Apple computers :)

I just found the form, wonder if I can talk them into a price match since it was so close to the sale?

Wow that's awesome, almost want to drive to my nearest BB to check this out :)

You can also browse BB's open box deals through their website :) I found the OP's MBA selling for $818.99 open box price.

killer deal, thats awesome. totally jelly

Apparently this MBA was originally purchased on Nov. 23rd (Black Friday) and was probably returned after Christmas since it was a base model. No telling how long it sat in the open-case bin but the BB employee told me that they marked it as missing cables and with a scratch to get the price low enough so it could sell quickly. Another MBA base model is selling for $783 at that same BB.

I don't agree with their tactics, but I like the deal.

Back