Got Chenming 602...how the heck am I supposed to mount my radatior.

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I got a Chenming 602 case today, and went to set up all my water stuff in it, and what do I find, I cant mount my radatior. I have a Black Ice Micro II , and it wont fit. The case uses those stupid fan clips, but I took them off and thought I was in business. New problem is, sinc ethe case has one of those vertical bars to help support the power suppy, I cant fit the thing in. No matter how I put it, I cannot match up screw holes to screw it in. If anyone has an ideas on how the frick I can mount this thing, I woudl appriciate it, coz if all else fails im whipping out the hot glue and making it a permanent attachment.

Sell the black ice micro, and get yourself a real cooling device. Pick up a 77 bonneville heatercore, and mount it up top with one of Weapon's beastly shrouds.

Dude just cut a nice hole at the top of the case and mount it there. You can go wrong by mounting it on the very top. It looks clean and it stays inside the case.

Think 2 80mm holes on top is going to be pretty... I suggest heatercore route as well.

I'd rather not go cutting holes in the top of my case, simply because I do not have the tools. I can't image its very difficult to cut a few holes in teh top, but that means I have to go out a buy a dremel, or whatever it woudl take to do.

You could cut holes in your window.... but theres the tool thing agian...

Maybee you could e-mail one of the places that does custom laser etched windows for those cases and have em make it for you?

You probably are not going to be able to pull this off without some type of modding or cutting thats for sure. You cant get blood from a turnip mate.

If I do any cutting or modding, its gunna be removing that PSU support bar. Its not needed, my PSU diesnt even touch it, an that is whats in the way. I shoul have the tools for that....thats just cutting through flimsy metal.

YOU HAVE to cutout fanholes big guy.

Mounting in the top with a diff rad would be ideal 1 or two 120mm fans in the roof of your case, Its easy.

Would it work if you drilled new holes just for the screws on the rear fan area? So you could mount it lower than it is now.
I think I can fit two 92mm fans there in my Dragon case (looks to have the same dimensions).

that radiator is junk. you'll have more noise for less cooling with that. i can't believe anyone who reads this forum would buy an 80mm rad, dual or no. just do the math on surface area for a 120mm rad versus surface area on a dual 80mm rad. also, since the heatercore would be cheaper you'll probably be able to buy a cheap jigsaw to cut the hole.

flak said:
that radiator is junk. you'll have more noise for less cooling with that. i can't believe anyone who reads this forum would buy an 80mm rad, dual or no. just do the math on surface area for a 120mm rad versus surface area on a dual 80mm rad. also, since the heatercore would be cheaper you'll probably be able to buy a cheap jigsaw to cut the hole.

I realize its not the best, but I dont have anywhere to put a bigger one, and I dont want to go messing with car parts on my first go at watercooling. I want to get really confortable with how this all works first. I dont care that there overpriced, I am getting a radatior made for watercooling a PC. If you have a suggest as to how I could mount a bigger radatior, say a 2x120mm, feel free to offer some constuctive advice. I want to do as little modding as possable, so try to keep cutting holes thru the top of my case out of the equation. If I can have the radatior lay on the bottem of my case or something, then I wiould go with something better....i just need somewhere to put it.

This is what I was thinking:

http://home.ma.rr.com/silverback/side.jpg

Is that really good for airflow, or woudl that defeat the pupose? And, as far as putting holes int he top of my case....how difficult is it, and what tools will I need it. Its not that I am agaisnt the idea, I just know I dont have the tools. Maybe someone who has done it can PM me and give me a rundown of the process, I dont want to fuck anything up.

Mount the fans to the rad and and then stick the fans in the fan holders, and bam no cutting and it should hold. You can rig something if it needs more strenght

Vengance_01 said:
Mount the fans to the rad and and then stick the fans in the fan holders, and bam no cutting and it should hold. You can rig something if it needs more strenght

I thougth of this, and I believe it did work, but doesnt it work best if the fans are pulling air through the radatior? Or will pushing air thru work fine?

It's actually not *that* big a deal if pull air from inside the case through the rad. Since you've already moved the major heat sources into the loop the air inside won't be much warmer than ambient.

flak said:
It's actually not *that* big a deal if pull air from inside the case through the rad. Since you've already moved the major heat sources into the loop the air inside won't be much warmer than ambient.

What would be better, pulling air thru from the inside or pushing air thru from teh outside. Also, keep in mind I still have my 6800U, which runs alot hotter than my CPU.

And nobody, that wont work for me. Take a look at my case, the new Chenming uses a different drive cage setup. THey are sideways, and the fans are on the outside of the case, just covered by a plastic grill. I concidered that option, but tehre is no where in teh front to even mount a fan on the inside.

sorry dude the pictures I was looking at didn't show that little detail ... my bad. How about mounting it externally using one of the swifty rad-boxes?

Or as stated above you could mount to the fan and then use the holder and if it seemed stable enough add a second fan to the other side creating a push-pull.

Nobody said:
sorry dude the pictures I was looking at didn't show that little detail ... my bad. How about mounting it externally using one of the swifty rad-boxes?

Or as stated above you could mount to the fan and then use the holder and if it seemed stable enough add a second fan to the other side creating a push-pull.

The idea of setting it up backwards works, I can have it in the following setups:

1.) Both fans blowing cold air from my room over the rad
2.) Both fans pulling warm air from my case through the rad
3.) One fan pulling warm air from case, the other pushing through cool air from my room

Which of those would work best? Also, with the push pull, does it matter which fan is pushing and which is pulling?

And as far as the rad goes, if it influances anyones point of view, its only going to be cooling my CPU, so it should be fine. I am going to set up a 2nd loop just for my video card, my tax refund will be bigger than I expected :p

I should clarify, in a push-pull you would would have 2 fans pulling cold air from your room and blowing it into the RAD. You would then have 2 more fans on the other side of the rad pulling the now warmed air into your case.

Nobody said:
I should clarify, in a push-pull you would would have 2 fans pulling cold air from your room and blowing it into the RAD. You would then have 2 more fans on the other side of the rad pulling the now warmed air into your case.

oh...lol, that makes more sence. I should be able to do that....would have to get 2 more 80mm fans tho. Thanks for your help.

Back