Got an older 1000w Silverstone PSU on the cheap... keep it?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I had the Silverstone DA1000 (the modular version) back when I ran triple SLI. Its a beast of a psu. Only reason I traded it in for my 750W corsair was because it was more efficient and I didn't need 1000w.

I was actually planning on getting a Corsair modular 650 to use for the foreseeable future before this fell into my lap. I really dont need 1000w at all since the biggest draw of power would be multi-gpu gaming which I dont plan on doing.

Hmm... Im borderline thinking about taking it back and just getting my money back but with returning it comes another issue: shipping to my APO address is ridiculous. An awesome deal on a Corsair power supply with a rebate suddenly turns into an additional $20 in inflated shipping charges from any of the big vendors.

Last edited:
If it was a good deal, keep it for now. Higher efficiency doesn't usually net you much in savings each year, probably about $5 at most, depending on how you use your computer.

I just found exactly what I was looking for... a quality 700w modular PSU manufactured by Enhance Electronics for the company Scythe that makes a lot of cooling products and whatnot. Found some Japanese reviews that I translated and it seems legit. 80 plus silver certified.

Now what to do with this Silverstone...

Don't run a PSU that's way higher in power than your computer needs, because under about 25% capacity, most power supplies are very inefficient.

Back